Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

NASCAR is a dying sport (Sound Off)
Published: Sunday, June 03, 2012, 7:15 AM
By Press-Register staff
Driver Brad Sweet (38) and Danica Patrick, middle, crash along the front straightaway during the NASCAR Nationwide Series auto race, Saturday, June 2, 2012, in Dover, Del.(AP Photo/Nick Wass)
NASCAR is dying
I couldn't help but notice the empty stands in Dover. I understand it is a Saturday afternoon race, but what else is going on in that part of the town? It is pathetic. Nobody is there. I wonder how many seats they'll have empty tomorrow in the Sprint Cup race. It just goes to show you, NASCAR is a dying sport. The only thing keeping it going is Danica Patrick, and that is kind of sad.
No need for jets
How much money are they wasting on these military fly-overs for NASCAR events? In these tough economic times, keep the jets at home.
NASCAR made bad call
I can't believe NASCAR started this truck race in 4 o'clock in the afternoon in Dover, and they don't even have lights at that track. Now they had rain come through and delay the race a little, now they had to call the race 40 laps short. Why didn't they start that race at noon? If the track doesn't have lights, you always want to leave a two-hour window for a rain delay. Sometimes I think the people that run NASCAR are like the people who invented new Coke. They just don't get it.
Manic depressive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

How can people afford to drive to a race??? I just put fuel in my truck that was already half full. And it still cost me 80.00 to fill it.

“smokes~ mojo”

Since: Dec 06

kepin' the ears on the big dog

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

Then you figure hotel stay food , concessions, and souveniers...lot of $$$. think they have priced themselves out of the average person going. JMO but it does not help that the rules are not consistant and races are manipulated so badly.

Since: Feb 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
Then you figure hotel stay food , concessions, and souveniers...lot of $$$. think they have priced themselves out of the average person going. JMO but it does not help that the rules are not consistant and races are manipulated so badly.
I still think the fact the drivers can not test on the tracks they race on. Competition was a lot better when the drivers could test.Take Smoke he switched to a new chassis . How can they get him comfortable in the car if they do not get to test it on the track???? And it doesn't help if the races are pretty much caution free.I say let the teams go back to testing. J/S

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
I have been told hotels raise there prices race weekend.And if it is true its BS.
ROMNEY 2012

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

Welcome to the future if that treasonous thug is not voted out in November. And even then, it might be too late to save the country.

“smokes~ mojo”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

manic depressive 2 wrote:
<quoted text>I have been told hotels raise there prices race weekend.And if it is true its BS.
I have been told that too. and it has nothing to do with our president OH CLUELESS ONE , but more with greed of the hospitality industry and NASCAR.
ROMNEY 2012

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

Some posters on this forum are so dismally misinformed...or delusional...or BOTH...so sad...

this one is not the clueless one...LMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

Judged:

ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
<quoted text>I have been told that too. and it has nothing to do with our president OH CLUELESS ONE , but more with greed of the hospitality industry and NASCAR.
Well I was told this as far back as 1972. Friends of mine from Sharon VT traveled to all the NASCAR races & complained about hotels raising there prices race week..And to be honest I have no idea who the pres was in 1972 but then I was not old enough to vote. And people are saying the same thing about hotels even today:)BUT ..... I do remember Pres Nixon had racing investigated to see if the sport was a waste of gas .

“smokes~ mojo”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

manic depressive 2 wrote:
<quoted text>Well I was told this as far back as 1972. Friends of mine from Sharon VT traveled to all the NASCAR races & complained about hotels raising there prices race week..And to be honest I have no idea who the pres was in 1972 but then I was not old enough to vote. And people are saying the same thing about hotels even today:)BUT ..... I do remember Pres Nixon had racing investigated to see if the sport was a waste of gas .
I do not think it is just hotels it is food and other entertainment as well. and the cost of parking camping sites/RV parking and hookups. food, drink. It is all aspects of going to a race.
manic depressive

Unionville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

ruttrosmokesmojo wrote:
<quoted text>I do not think it is just hotels it is food and other entertainment as well. and the cost of parking camping sites/RV parking and hookups. food, drink. It is all aspects of going to a race.
Don't they let people bring their own drinks & food into the track. Or did they stop it to force people to by track food?
larry davis

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

You have to wonder why Nascar runs the race at Dover when NHRA is running up the road at Englishtown.. NHRA had a good crowd all three days despite rain on Sunday. Dover's crowd was terrible.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

I think 'dying' is a strong word, but I would agree that maybe the popularity the sport enjoyed not so many years ago has passed.(no pun intended)

IMO there are a number contributing factors. The economy, which includes unemployment, high prices discussed here, leads the list. I think the Chase format and constantly changing rules, becoming so commercialized, as well as JJ taking 5 consecutive championships, also should shoulder their share of the blame.
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

manic depressive wrote:
<quoted text>Don't they let people bring their own drinks & food into the track. Or did they stop it to force people to by track food?
I've only been to about 6 tracks, but an approved-size cooler and see-through backpacks are permitted, and inspected before passing through the ticket gates.

Still, it costs $$ to fill them with Coke, beer, water, snacks and ice. Tailgating helps the appetite the first hour or two of the race, but those food & beverages need to be purchased ahead of time too, as well the propane or charcoal for the grill. And, I enjoy shopping at the trailers.

And these are just the expenses at the track, in addition to your ticket.
manic depressive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've only been to about 6 tracks, but an approved-size cooler and see-through backpacks are permitted, and inspected before passing through the ticket gates.
Still, it costs $$ to fill them with Coke, beer, water, snacks and ice. Tailgating helps the appetite the first hour or two of the race, but those food & beverages need to be purchased ahead of time too, as well the propane or charcoal for the grill. And, I enjoy shopping at the trailers.
And these are just the expenses at the track, in addition to your ticket.
Is the best way to go is with a camper?
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry, I am not the one to ask about camping. My entire experience with that has been in the military, and I don't care for it much.

I know you can pay up to $20 a day to park a car, and would imagine it would be more for a camper.

All things considered, it possibly could be cheaper than a motel room, but I prefer sleeping in A/C and having a private shower.
manic depressive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

CatRod53 wrote:
Sorry, I am not the one to ask about camping. My entire experience with that has been in the military, and I don't care for it much.
I know you can pay up to $20 a day to park a car, and would imagine it would be more for a camper.
All things considered, it possibly could be cheaper than a motel room, but I prefer sleeping in A/C and having a private shower.
My son and his service buddy have a standing date for Dover to get together and talk about the old days. I really think its a big drunk but he is an adult. I always wonder if they even get to see the race .But they have been getting together for close to 10 yrs give or take . LOL
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

I think long term friendships are great! My sister invited the 2 sisters that we grew up with to my 30th birthday. We had lost touch since HS graduation. The reunion has been fun and the 4 of us try to get together for lunch once a month now. The older I get the more I realize that the most precious things in life can't be bought.
smoke fan

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2012

Judged:

in ALL honesty,, the little wimp Marky Mark getting out of his car and whining that pole sitter Joey performed a bump and run , a "dirty move" to Mark, IS one of the contributing factors to the demise of NASCAR.. When Marky Mark told Tony to stop being aggressive,, it took YEARS for Tony to remember the SPORT is to WIN...
but besides Mark, DW in the booth always pointing fingers at non-HMS drivers to BLAME for ontrack incidents, even if it was RACING...and then of course the non racing tactics of CHEATERS.. who cry after Pocono because they could not speed on pit road the same way they have at that track for how many faux wins????? Hey Chad and Jimmie.. all you gotta do is NOT SPEED... Tony getting his RPMs under 2nd gear kept HIM from getting caught CHEATING.. I mean SPEEDING on pit road....
The so called "reporters" who apologise because jr is embarrassed for messing up his post race interview when the same reporters, will get in Kurt's face to TRY to cause drama.... yup,,. the FAVORITISM of the HMS garage is the BIG deal that is DESTROYING NASCAR..,.
JOEY.. WAY TO GET RACING BACK IN THIS SPORT!!!! I can wear my Home Depot stuff with PRIDE once AGAIN!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tony Stewart Discussions

Search the Tony Stewart Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Pay dirt: Darrell Wallace Jr. wins truck race a... 22 hr Manic 2 1
Smoke is back on dirt Jul 19 Manic 2 3
2 weeks in a roiw cheating with the truck #51 Jul 19 Carolyn 2
Logano/Shepherd Incident Jul 17 CatRod53 4
Is Nascar Becoming Boring? Jul 16 Manic 2 4
Tony vs Kyle Larson Jul 13 SNOW 40
I'm so fat I need prayers to live Jul 13 SNOW 4
•••
•••