Waltrip defends Reutimann's sportsmanship record

Oct 4, 2010 Full story: The News Tribune 16

Michael Waltrip defended driver David Reutimann on Monday for intentionally wrecking championship contender Kyle Busch.

Full Story
MISSU3

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 4, 2010
Come ON, NASCAR! A guy admits that he intentionally wrecked someone in the Chase and you're not going to do anything? There have been guys who have sworn that they didn't hit a guy on purpose and you've come down on them. IF it had been JJ that David took out, would it have been the same? What David did was childish and classless. Non chasers have been saying ever since the Chase started that they didn't want to make a mistake around one of the Chasers that could effect the Chase. Then this piss ant comes out and does it on purpose!!!! I would be just as mad about this if he had taken out JJ or ANY of the other Chasers. All these little piss ants are proving is that they can't beat Kyle on the track so the only thing they can do is put him into the wall. Lots of Class. Payback will be a bitch, David.
Not a Junior Fan

Kent, WA

#2 Oct 4, 2010
Reuti never admitted to wrecking Kyle on purpose. He just never said it was an accident. That is why Mikey is the only one defending Reutiman's sportsmanship record because Reuti's lack of honesty shows just what type of sportsman he is!
Debra

San Antonio, TX

#3 Oct 4, 2010
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/David-R...

This has been brewing for a while.
Debra

San Antonio, TX

#4 Oct 4, 2010
"There are 43 drivers on the race track each Sunday, and there is no delineation between Chase participants and non-Chase participants when it comes to respect,"Reutimann said

David R is right Pee Wee is an asswad.
A Real Fan

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Oct 4, 2010
MISSU3 wrote:
Come ON, NASCAR! A guy admits that he intentionally wrecked someone in the Chase and you're not going to do anything? There have been guys who have sworn that they didn't hit a guy on purpose and you've come down on them. IF it had been JJ that David took out, would it have been the same? What David did was childish and classless. Non chasers have been saying ever since the Chase started that they didn't want to make a mistake around one of the Chasers that could effect the Chase. Then this piss ant comes out and does it on purpose!!!! I would be just as mad about this if he had taken out JJ or ANY of the other Chasers. All these little piss ants are proving is that they can't beat Kyle on the track so the only thing they can do is put him into the wall. Lots of Class. Payback will be a bitch, David.
100 % CORRECT

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#6 Oct 4, 2010
Weasel Boy still has a faint glimmer of a chance in the chase, he isn't going to mess with David any time soon. David got tired of a punk pushing him around and let him know how it feels. Shrub still has a lot more to lose than David. It would be funny to me if the Dummy did dump David again and David put a little payback on him and took him clear out of the chase.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 4, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
Weasel Boy still has a faint glimmer of a chance in the chase, he isn't going to mess with David any time soon. David got tired of a punk pushing him around and let him know how it feels. Shrub still has a lot more to lose than David. It would be funny to me if the Dummy did dump David again and David put a little payback on him and took him clear out of the chase.
And I hope, JJ Gets caught cheating again, HAHAHA. Oh this hate on Kyle is funny.
Debra

San Antonio, TX

#8 Oct 4, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
100% correct.
Debra

San Antonio, TX

#9 Oct 4, 2010
MISSU3 wrote:
100% incorrect
Wang

Raleigh, NC

#10 Oct 5, 2010
Michaer Wartlip need realn to keep that half-gallon jug of hooch in pie hore in his 45 pound gleasy bobbre head and stop tarking.
WWE CRASHCAR 2010

Florham Park, NJ

#11 Oct 5, 2010
The Chase format is asinine!

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#12 Oct 5, 2010
MISSU3 wrote:
Come ON, NASCAR! A guy admits that he intentionally wrecked someone in the Chase and you're not going to do anything?
What do you expect them to do? Let chasers run free and smash anyone they want and get away with it? Where do you suppose they should draw the line?

I think its perfect what DR did. He wrecked himself to make a statement - Chasers are NOT going to feel they can dump people without consequences. I would never propose they should, either.

But lets say they ARE 'untouchable' for some reason... how do you prove it was on purpose? Cuzz like I said, you can wreck yourself and collect your target... just force him to drive the high side, stick your wheel on the apron, and let the fun begin.

Juan Pablo dumped Jimmie... accident or not? Hard to say. I give the benefit of the doubt because I don't think they have enough history for it to be a revenge effort. But what was NASCAR supposed to do? "Montoya bad!! U should be careful or we park you for touching a chaser!"

Save that crybaby-ass 'walk on eggshells' nonsense for some other sport. These chase races are just like the rest and every driver should drive his heart out. EARN respect points by being cautious around chasers but no driver should feel obligated to treat them any different.
The Fat and the Furious

Brighton, MI

#13 Oct 5, 2010
I agree. Being in the chase doesn't give anyone the right to drive however they see fir, while others must just move aside or take whatever is given.

It's simple really. If you don't want to be affected by a non-chaser, than don't try and drive through the back of one. What do you expect to happen when you spin a guy? That he's going to be happy and just go about his merry business? I think we all saw on Sunday that's not the case. Plus, you have to consider that Reutimann has been getting a roughed up a bit the last few races and he obviously reached his boiling point.

I think for the most part, non-chasers are respectful of the guys who are racing for a championship, but there's a limit on what that respect entails. I don't want to see a chaser taken out, but I also don't want to see them just lay down and play dead either. I think this whole incident might have been avoided if Kyle would simply have gotten on the radio and said, tell them I'm sorry! I didn't mean to spin him and just failed to check up in time. Sometimes hearing that has a calming affect to some degree. Sometimes it makes no difference either, but if you didn't mean to get into him, than act like it. If you feel your above that, well we saw the consequences that can come along with that. Didn't we? Lets also not forget the disrespectful comments Kyle made about David earlier this season. Sometimes those things can come back and haunt you and maybe this was one of those times.

Anyway, it happened. It is what it is and no one can change it, but perhaps they can learn from it. It's not the first time we've seen some retaliation on the track and it's doubtful to be the last. As I alluded to earlier, maybe it's time for Kyle to think a little before he speaks. When you disrespect someone (whether you meant to or not) don't be surprised when that someone shows you the same in return, especially when you spin that person out on the track.

People can think whatever they like about this incident, but in the end, it doesn't really matter what the fans think about it. What matters is that Kyle learns from this incident and perhaps Reutimann learns a little something too. Kyle has all the talent in the world, but he better start doing a little thinking about how to utilize that talent if he's ever going to really be great. Having enemies on the track that were self created, doesn't improve your chances of winning the big prize. Show some respect and some will be shown back. Show little and don't whine when you get little back.
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2010
Of course the Worst Driver in NA$CRAP Period, Michael (POS) Waltrip, would defend running into someone - he did it himself almost every race due to lack of dirving talent.

The Waltrip huksters + NA$CRAP = an inbred marriage made in heaven.
Reds

Ithaca, NY

#15 Oct 5, 2010
buffy has the brains and da boobs wonder if he ever gets to play with em, Oh wait hes pheukin lucky dog with a reach around...............
Jr Who

Dryden, Canada

#16 Oct 5, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
It would be hard not to occasionally punt the Waltrip wannabe, he's generally a rolling road block and it's hard to slow down enough not to touch him!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Braun Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danica Patrick hoping for better luck on NASCAR... Jul '14 IceMan PJN 3
Jeremy Mayfield considers selling race team (Jul '09) Oct '13 Chargeforward1 22
NASCAR drivers among 800 at Leffler funeral (Jun '13) Jun '13 manic depressive 2 1
Gatti's wife accused in his slaying (Jul '09) Dec '12 JanetPlanet 51
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
Patrick disappointed in Nationwide results in '12 (Oct '12) Oct '12 Carolyn 9
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13

Todd Braun People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE