Infineon road course sets up for Montoya

Infineon road course sets up for Montoya

There are 58 comments on the Scripps Howard News Service story from Jun 23, 2007, titled Infineon road course sets up for Montoya. In it, Scripps Howard News Service reports that:

“We're all learning this Car of Tomorrow.”

By BRUCE ADAMS San Francisco Chronicle 2007-06-21 00:00:00 The veteran stock car driver has some advice for the field in this weekend's big race in Sonoma, Calif.: Beware the rookie. via Scripps Howard News Service

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scripps Howard News Service.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#45 Jun 26, 2007
Brad

I suspect every race that doesn't have Gordon atop the podium is a "real snoozer" in foulbreezes eyes.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#46 Jun 26, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Montoya's crew chief was telling him the same thing....save fuel. The difference is Montoya didn't drive like a giant anchor was thrown around his car. He was still fast but he was short shifting and hitting corners properly (not driving over them). If you thought that race was a "real snoozer" you must not like racing.
I prefer to see drivers win the races not crew chiefs!

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#47 Jun 26, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Montoya's crew chief was telling him the same thing....save fuel. The difference is Montoya didn't drive like a giant anchor was thrown around his car. He was still fast but he was short shifting and hitting corners properly (not driving over them). If you thought that race was a "real snoozer" you must not like racing.
I believe that I've already acknowledged that Mr. Wingo won the race!

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#48 Jun 26, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>I prefer to see drivers win the races not crew chiefs!
If you were paying attention, that is what you would have seen.
Brad

Livonia, MI

#49 Jun 26, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
I think you need to pay closer attention to what your watching. You don't appear to be getting it. Crew chiefs can't win races. They can put drivers in positions to win but it's up to the driver to get done. Harvick, McMurray, Robbie Gordon,Jeffie didn't get it done. Montoya did. Harvick thinks that conserving fuel means letting driver behind you by. That's not it. It may mean changing the way you drive but it certainly doesn't mean "give up". Montoya and all F1 drivers understand this...Cup boys don't seem to grasp it. To their defense, they only get two cracks at it a year.
Brad

Livonia, MI

#50 Jun 26, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that I've already acknowledged that Mr. Wingo won the race!
You're an idiot. I'm wasting my time.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#51 Jun 26, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. I'm wasting my time.
You most certainly are, lol!

Since: Jun 07

Hartsville SC

#52 Jun 26, 2007
Oh yeah, total fuel finish all the way .. he worked all the way up to 3rd before challenging for the top stop because everyone else was low on fuel and didn't want to race the rookie who was expected to run out of fuel and then they could coast on by him while they were crossing the finish line .. OH WAIT, THATS WHAT HE DID! Get real, he worked his way to the top and didn't stop or give up like like all the "experienced" drivers did! And unless Wingo had a remote control someplace and was controling the car .. give me a break! IT WAS ALL MONTOYA .. GET OVER IT, HE WON, DEAL WITH IT .. HE WON!

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#53 Jun 26, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to pay closer attention to what your watching. You don't appear to be getting it. Crew chiefs can't win races. They can put drivers in positions to win but it's up to the driver to get done. Harvick, McMurray, Robbie Gordon,Jeffie didn't get it done. Montoya did. Harvick thinks that conserving fuel means letting driver behind you by. That's not it. It may mean changing the way you drive but it certainly doesn't mean "give up". Montoya and all F1 drivers understand this...Cup boys don't seem to grasp it. To their defense, they only get two cracks at it a year.
Now I understand why you thought this was an entertaining race, you're one of those open wheel fans! Which is fine, as long as you allow for the fact that a whole bunch of people on these threads prefer NASCAR!

“YNWA”

Greenwood, IN.

#54 Jun 26, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just 2 cracks. Some ovals come down to fuel too. Look how Casey mears won the other week. It is suprising that none of the front guys at the time chose to risk the early stop. I bet Tony, Jeff and Robbie are wishing they had now but they would have probably not made it to the end like McMurray and ended up in 30 something spot also.
They did the best they could. It is just that Montoya did better
Kevin

Melbourne, FL

#55 Jun 27, 2007
Hey Mr. Breeze, what did you think of Jeff starting 42 and finishing 7th?? I guess it was his crew chief too, right? I guess in his case he didn't use fuel strategy, correct? He got from 42 to 7 on pure talent, and his feat was amazing, but the guy Montoya went from 32th to 1st, and in his case it was his crew chief and the other best drivers in the world who just let him go. Dude, get real.
Montoya took them to school, and what I can't believe is all the respect he has for Nascar and his drivers,, and in return he gets treated like shit.
Asshole arrogant and cry baby robby gordon owes the money I put on him,, so does steward and Jeff Gordon.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#56 Jun 27, 2007
Kevin wrote:
Hey Mr. Breeze, what did you think of Jeff starting 42 and finishing 7th?? I guess it was his crew chief too, right? I guess in his case he didn't use fuel strategy, correct? He got from 42 to 7 on pure talent, and his feat was amazing, but the guy Montoya went from 32th to 1st, and in his case it was his crew chief and the other best drivers in the world who just let him go. Dude, get real.
Montoya took them to school, and what I can't believe is all the respect he has for Nascar and his drivers,, and in return he gets treated like shit.
Asshole arrogant and cry baby robby gordon owes the money I put on him,, so does steward and Jeff Gordon.
Save this line of crap for a JPM win on a real racetrack!!!

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#57 Jun 27, 2007
I'll bet, check that, I KNOW that none of you EXPERTS were listening to conversation between JPM and Donnie Wingo!!! Otherwise you wouldn't be slinging this crap over this thread!!! First of all, Wingo set the car up so it couldn't be run hard!!! Secondly, he specifically instructed JPM on how to drive, short-shift, don't race off the corner, etc. Third, and most importantly, he told this undisciplined bull-in-a-china-shop when to pit!!! Without Donnie Wingo this "driver" would have made his usual early exit that we all have come to expect!!!

PS - I asked this question earlier, but none of you open wheelers have made an attempt to answer!!! How come you all bad mouthed JPM when he was in open wheeled cars, and all of a sudden he's the greatest driver in the world when he moved to NASCAR???

“YNWA”

Greenwood, IN.

#58 Jun 27, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>Save this line of crap for a JPM win on a real racetrack!!!
Congrats breezey for having your own thread now. You are famous and all the people who love you soooo much can now voice thier oppinion of you on a seperate thread.

Way to go, You have earned it
Kevin

Melbourne, FL

#59 Jun 27, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
I'll bet, check that, I KNOW that none of you EXPERTS were listening to conversation between JPM and Donnie Wingo!!! Otherwise you wouldn't be slinging this crap over this thread!!! First of all, Wingo set the car up so it couldn't be run hard!!! Secondly, he specifically instructed JPM on how to drive, short-shift, don't race off the corner, etc. Third, and most importantly, he told this undisciplined bull-in-a-china-shop when to pit!!! Without Donnie Wingo this "driver" would have made his usual early exit that we all have come to expect!!!
PS - I asked this question earlier, but none of you open wheelers have made an attempt to answer!!! How come you all bad mouthed JPM when he was in open wheeled cars, and all of a sudden he's the greatest driver in the world when he moved to NASCAR???
I can tell that you haven't even raced a go kart. So, you have no idea what road racing is about. When you go out and do it in a competitive level come back and talk all the crap you can. I'm pretty sure you'll have a bit of respect.
Your comment about Donnie telling him how to drive is a dumb as can be. Dude, remember. It was his first cup car road race.

By the way, you didn't answer my question about Jeff. How did he go from 42 to 7th? What was it? Pure talent right? no strategy involve cause he's the best driver in the world and doesn't need it. Or for that matter he dooesn't even need a spotter, right? Pure talent, right?
I'm very curious to hear your response.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Las Cruces, NM

#60 Jun 27, 2007
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell that you haven't even raced a go kart. So, you have no idea what road racing is about. When you go out and do it in a competitive level come back and talk all the crap you can. I'm pretty sure you'll have a bit of respect.
Your comment about Donnie telling him how to drive is a dumb as can be. Dude, remember. It was his first cup car road race.
By the way, you didn't answer my question about Jeff. How did he go from 42 to 7th? What was it? Pure talent right? no strategy involve cause he's the best driver in the world and doesn't need it. Or for that matter he dooesn't even need a spotter, right? Pure talent, right?
I'm very curious to hear your response.
I am not legally obligated to answer of your inane questions, but, if you insist! Yes, Letarte called the race for Jeff just as WINGO called the race for One Problem Montoya!!! I LISTENED TO THEIR CONVERSATIONS ON SIRIUS IN CAR RADIO for Christ sake!! Doesn't anyone read with comprehension anymore???
Louie Thompson

Greer, SC

#61 Jun 28, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>McMurray ran out of fuel and Harvick was told to hold position because his crew chief thought JPM would run out of fuel. He didn't pass either one on driving ability. This was a fuel strategy race from the green flag due to the smaller fuel cell from the year before. A real snoozer, Watkins Glen will be different I suspect.
He passed McMurray 3 laps before he ran out of gas. And he set up Jamie good, jamie thought he was going to pass him at the hairpin turn again and ended up getting passed at turn 1. It was a beatiful clean pass and was a hard spot to pass cause it was up hill with their cars low on fuel. And as for Harvick, Juan would of passed him anyways even if Harvick decided to race against him. That was Montoya's day and he was going to win and did. Awesome job Montoya!
Louie Thompson

Greer, SC

#62 Jun 28, 2007
mrbreeze wrote:
It was a team victory everyone did their job well, plus the crew chief didnt race the car from 32nd to 1st. Have the same crew chief with a crappy driver starting from the same position and that crappy driver would of finished 7th.....oh i'm sorry did i say finished 7th?? ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terry Labonte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over-40 drivers: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, oth... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Carolyn 58
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13
Terry Labonte nude (Nov '11) Nov '11 Christina 1
Terry Labonte Collectibles For Sale (Feb '10) Feb '10 JHAWTH2 1
1997 Terry Labonte Jebco Frankenstein clock Lim... (Dec '09) Dec '09 1997 Frankenstein... 1
News Best Nascar Victory Celebrations (Sep '09) Sep '09 Cheers For Kyle 3
More from around the web