Infineon road course sets up for Montoya

Infineon road course sets up for Montoya

There are 58 comments on the Scripps Howard News Service story from Jun 23, 2007, titled Infineon road course sets up for Montoya. In it, Scripps Howard News Service reports that:

“We're all learning this Car of Tomorrow.”

By BRUCE ADAMS San Francisco Chronicle 2007-06-21 00:00:00 The veteran stock car driver has some advice for the field in this weekend's big race in Sonoma, Calif.: Beware the rookie. via Scripps Howard News Service

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scripps Howard News Service.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
STAN

United States

#1 Jun 24, 2007
GREAT DRIVING TODAY BY MONTOYA. THE DODGE IS INFERIOR TO THE CHEVY & EVEN THE FORD.
HIS DRIVING ABILITY MADE THE DIFFERANCE TODAY.
STARTING FROM P-32. A GREAT DRIVE BY A GREAT DRIVER.
mike simon

Buffalo, NY

#2 Jun 24, 2007
he did great. to me, nothing like mexico. he was patient and hit his marks. congrats to him.

“"Insane 4 Kahne!"”

Since: Mar 07

Boonsboro, MD

#4 Jun 24, 2007
I am disappointed that Montoya won. That guy has an ego that's bigger than the U.S.
Bill

Providence, RI

#5 Jun 24, 2007
NextelGrrl9 wrote:
I am disappointed that Montoya won. That guy has an ego that's bigger than the U.S.
That's an ignorant thing to say... Let's congratualate the guy for what he has done. This win is historical in many ways... Think about it, in the future people can say NASCAR has one of the best drivers in the world. For now it's the best drivers in the U.S.

Since: Jun 07

Guasti, CA

#7 Jun 24, 2007
NextelGrrl9 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more. I can't believe that I sat through that race to watch that kind of an ending. I can't stand Montoya mostly because of his personality and attitude.

“"Insane 4 Kahne!"”

Since: Mar 07

Boonsboro, MD

#8 Jun 24, 2007
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an ignorant thing to say... Let's congratualate the guy for what he has done. This win is historical in many ways... Think about it, in the future people can say NASCAR has one of the best drivers in the world. For now it's the best drivers in the U.S.
For him to be considered one of the "best", he better show a lot more on the ovals. And I don't appreciate being referred to as ignorant when I have seen plenty to prove to me that JPM does have a big ego. But if you don't feel the same way, fine.
Louie Thompson

Greer, SC

#9 Jun 24, 2007
Well you guys and gals can argue all you want about Montoya cause thats what most of you basically come here to do anyways. All i know is that i saw an exciting road course race with Montoya mixing it up with the nextel veterans and winning. As a Montoya fan thats all that matters to me and i will collect my money at work for winning the bet. I see that some of you wont give him credit and have to find any excuse to flame him. But hey whatever helps you all sleep at night. Good job Montoya!
One_Racer_Fan

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jun 24, 2007
Montoya, Montoya.... is like saying Goal...Goal...why?.. because just like enjoying the moment of one goal at a soccer match, you have to admit Montoya coming back from 32, passing, moving, weaving left and right. like a master he saved his tires, used his gears and saved his gas to do what no one else has ever done from that position.. and to top it all off as a rookie... wow!. you haters that seem to know so much about racing around and around, the beauty of a road course as you can see lies on more than just luck from yellow flags, debris on the road or for that matter a thinking that winning Ovals make the best racers. Is a matter of time now, Montoya just like he conquered, Monza, Monaco, Indy, Michigan, Sonoma etc, will win at Daytona.

Since: Jun 07

Hartsville SC

#11 Jun 25, 2007
Well .. all the haters will definately have something to talk about now .. regardless of what you think of him, it was skill that won the race, if anyone thinks he hasn't learned from his mistakes, just watch this race again! He used patience and skill for this win, it defiantely wasn't luck! WAY TO GO JPM!!!
Brad

Livonia, MI

#12 Jun 25, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I like what Wally Dallenback said, he might have gotten away with that crap in Busch series in Mexico, but they werent goin to put up with in Nextel! You notice that he tried to push Johnson and McMurray around and they pushed right back! He didnt pull any of that BS on anyone that he did at Mexico City! I loved when he went into turn 11 and was goin to try and knock McMurray out of the way and McMurray went high, Montoya went srait and McMurray went right back around him! I was hoping Montoya would run out of gas, but oh well, it's a road course race, how many of those do we go to, they arent even in the Chase for the Cup! Like i said, until he wins on Ovals, i still dont think he'll succeed in Cup! He might have locked up rookie of the year for 2007, but he's just another Robby Gordon who'll only get any attention when the go to road courses! I'll love when people start shoving him around, that crap might have worked in Formula One, but that crap wont float in Nextel!
"He didn't pull any of that BS he did at Mexico"?!!! Yeah he did!! All race!!! He bumped everyone. Kurt Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr. If anything he was the BULLY. Your Cup boys puckered up and let Badass Juan push them around yesterday. Hell Harvick jumped out of his way late in the race. McMurray looked scared and blew the lead late.....Juan was a man surrounder by boys yesterday. It was a joy to watch an aggressive,talented driver who knows how to drive a car around corners.
Ras

United States

#14 Jun 25, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
"He didn't pull any of that BS he did at Mexico"?!!! Yeah he did!! All race!!! He bumped everyone. Kurt Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr. If anything he was the BULLY. Your Cup boys puckered up and let Badass Juan push them around yesterday. Hell Harvick jumped out of his way late in the race. McMurray looked scared and blew the lead late.....Juan was a man surrounder by boys yesterday. It was a joy to watch an aggressive,talented driver who knows how to drive a car around corners.
As for Kurt Busch, I think it was a racing incident. Bush can't cut the Apex like he did and not expect contact. If you're taking that line, you cannot shut the door! It's road racing common courtesy. The incident with Johnson is what NASCAR is all about, rubbing! Too bad Johnson damaged his car in retaliation, I guess he wasn't thinking clear at the time. Harvick jumped out because he needed to conserve fuel, per pit crew. Jamie McMurray did lose the lead and lost valuable points because he ran out of gas! Juan had McMurray suzed McMurray down while conserving fuel and made a great, clean pass! Juan won't make it in ovals with the car he has. Ovals depends more on the car than the driver. All in all, Great race.

One more thing... Angry rednecks are funny!
Kong

Atlanta, GA

#15 Jun 25, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not see McMurray and Johnson shove him back, and he backed off like a coward! He isnt anything impressive, until he wins on ovals he's not better than a road course ringer and fits in between Robby Gordon, Boris Said, and Ron Fellows, only a threat for two races out of 36 a year! And i dont care what any of you Montoya ass kissers say, it was luck and damn sure wasnt talent! What comes around goes around, especially for that prick! Eventually Tony Stewart or someone will pop that nose he keeps and he'll realize they dont put up with that crap here, this isnt Formula One or Champ car, he wants to act like that, he can take his ass back to those loser series!
Bwaaaaahahahaha!!!!

You little freaking cry baby lol!
Whoyakidding

Raleigh, NC

#16 Jun 25, 2007
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me tell you about "puckered up". Daytona, need I say more? Be there and you might be able to pickup some of the scrap off the 42 to mount on your wall. Juan was a man surrounded by other drivers playing the same fuel game he was. Nobody got out of his way because they was scared of him, they got out of his way to let him run out of fuel and he got lucky. You're so silly, but please enjoy the win while you can. It's quite a few races before Watkins Glen.
Dave

AOL

#17 Jun 25, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not see McMurray and Johnson shove him back, and he backed off like a coward! He isnt anything impressive, until he wins on ovals he's not better than a road course ringer and fits in between Robby Gordon, Boris Said, and Ron Fellows, only a threat for two races out of 36 a year! And i dont care what any of you Montoya ass kissers say, it was luck and damn sure wasnt talent! What comes around goes around, especially for that prick! Eventually Tony Stewart or someone will pop that nose he keeps and he'll realize they dont put up with that crap here, this isnt Formula One or Champ car, he wants to act like that, he can take his ass back to those loser series!
If there is one thing that Montoya is not! that's a coward! lol, you are calling him a coward because he was being mature patient and smart! but if he wasn't being a coward according to you he would be an aggressive impatient nuisance who should be banned from racing right? lol, You really do have an answer for everything don't you? I also think that it's funny that you mentioned CART and F1, Montoya was unflappable in the CART series and no one could catch him! not just in 1999 when he won the championship, but the following year when he picked up right where he left off with a new un-proven Toyota Engine, he dominated the first race of that season at Homested and was the fastest driver in nearly every race of that season! unfortunately he only won three races that year do to attrition and reliability problems, I know that you don't know this or care to know this but Juan Montoya did things in a Champ Car that no one had ever done before him, He could drive a lose car flat out as if it were a perfectly ballanced car, he had incredibly quick hands and made remarkable saves every time he got lose and almost hit the wall, and he would drive around the outside of a driver to make a stunning pass on a start or reastart! So for you to say that he is a coward and has no tallent is hilarious to me! ha-ha-ha, Thank's for a good laugh.

“Best of the Best of the Best..”

Since: Jan 07

Upstate NY

#18 Jun 25, 2007
I was not rooting for Juan, but I congratulate him on hijs win, but it was Fuel Millage that won this race, people are so high on his talent, but stragety is what won this race, he did a nice job of saving fuel, but thats about it, Harvick moved for him, b/c he was saving fuel and thought JPM was short, but his crew won this race more then Juan won this race!

This is not to take away from Juan, He did win the race and no one can take it away from him, but Lets see him do it on an Oval before we start labeling him the greatest!
Brad

Livonia, MI

#19 Jun 25, 2007
Evan wrote:
I was not rooting for Juan, but I congratulate him on hijs win, but it was Fuel Millage that won this race, people are so high on his talent, but stragety is what won this race, he did a nice job of saving fuel, but thats about it, Harvick moved for him, b/c he was saving fuel and thought JPM was short, but his crew won this race more then Juan won this race!
This is not to take away from Juan, He did win the race and no one can take it away from him, but Lets see him do it on an Oval before we start labeling him the greatest!
It's simply another feather in his cap.....Indy car championship,Indy 500 win, fastest lap in the history of F1, 7 F1 wins, a Busch win, 24 Hours at Daytona win...now a Nextel Cup win. Not too many drivers have shown the remarkable range that he has (Dan Gurney and Mario but that's about it). He's an all-time great whether he ever wins on an oval or not....and he will.
Kevin

Melbourne, FL

#20 Jun 25, 2007
I cannot believe the amount of sore losers. Not only did he win fair an square, fighting positions with the top guys, with an underpower car and from 32!! Harvick, what does he have to say?.. How sad is for a supposedly RACE driver to admit he was just waiting for the car in front to run out of fuel and hand him down a win. THAT'S PATHETIC!! Instead of pushing and trying to get the lead and give people a good show,, no, he was just waiting. I thought it was racing. And then Robby Gordon,, crying about it too?? I can't believe I actually put money on that cry baby. I don't understand, they're upset cause a guy with a crappy dodge came from 32 to beat them on their game.
Talking about attitudes? R. Gordon is just pissed cause he ran his mouth before the race and said that the win would be for Tony, Jeff or him and just didn't give Montoya credit. Maybe he has to go and watch the race. Maybe it was just that the guys in front of Montoya just let him go by,, or maybe everybody was waiting on him to run out of fuel. Also, Didn't I hear the best driver in the Universe saying on the radio to remind Goosens who the driver of the 24 was?? Talking about egos and attitudes. I'd like to see any of those guys jump in a formula one, 2 hours on a new track, and win from the back.
What I saw, was great racing. McMurray put a great show too. It was great racing.

And that guy Dallenback still thinking about the Montoya - Pruett move. Again,, go watch the race.. Pruett got what he deserved. he shut the door. it was so obvious he just made a really bad move and got F*&d.

Sunday was the battle of 42 drivers against the 42 car. Nobody even came on TV to say congrats. Nope, they came to complaint that the fuel mileage did it.. We'll then maybe they just need to learn on how to push and save fuel. Maybe they need some lessons from Montoya. That's the whole deal, they're pissed cause it was Montoya who won. If J or R Gordon would've won,, oh wow,, that would've been just fantastic racig,, great strategy.. but it was Montoya they're pissed.

And now they have to shove their words up their asses, and say,, oh well he hasn't won on an Oval.. Well, Montoya himself said, "it doesn't matter if we win on the road course,, what we need is to get good on ovals".
In conclusion, We saw that in road racing a slow car, good talent and strategy can win races. On a oval, more car than talent. a good driver on a slow car will get lapped. I'll take road racing over ovals any day.

“Best of the Best of the Best..”

Since: Jan 07

Upstate NY

#21 Jun 25, 2007
Hey, Kevin, I am not mad at all that JPM won, I knew he would, I just didnt think it would be this soon, and to the harvick comment, that is smart racing, even if it didnt pan out this time, Harvick was low on fuel, and so was JPM, he was told that JPM was lower on fuel and not to race him, which is the smarter move, why waste fuel racing a guy that is gonna run out, and you need to save fuel anyway! I have nothing for but respect for JPM, but pleny of others have won in open wheel, off road, and plenty of other series, so this is nothing new!
Ras

United States

#22 Jun 25, 2007
NextelGrrl9 wrote:
Sonoma-
"Who is driving the 96? Can you tell him that Jeff Gordon is driving the 24!"

Now that's the biggest ego in NASCAR.
Kevin

Melbourne, FL

#23 Jun 25, 2007
That's cool Evan, at least you admit the guy has talent. But I remind some people that before the pit stop he was already in the top 20. He got up there, racing. Nobody handed him down anything.

I wanted Robby to win cause I knew Montoya starting from 32 had very little chance. The most dissapointing thing was that no one said, Congrats. If any other drivers would've won, everybody would've been happy. But it was the F1 refugee who beat them. That's the big deal. I know Casey Mears would go and say, dude you did a great job. The others are just crying. Didn't all of the team got offered with the same options for the more horse power, less fuel, or less hp and more fuel??
Of course the strategy wins races. Thats' racing. No one would win would a bad strategy. They had the best talent and strategy. No doubt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terry Labonte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Over-40 drivers: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, oth... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Carolyn 58
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13
Terry Labonte nude (Nov '11) Nov '11 Christina 1
Terry Labonte Collectibles For Sale (Feb '10) Feb '10 JHAWTH2 1
1997 Terry Labonte Jebco Frankenstein clock Lim... (Dec '09) Dec '09 1997 Frankenstein... 1
News Best Nascar Victory Celebrations (Sep '09) Sep '09 Cheers For Kyle 3
More from around the web