Injured NASCAR fan released from hospital

Full story: USA Today

What: Russ Friedman 400, 10th of 36 races for NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. Where: Richmond International Raceway, .75-mile oval.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of99
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Nascartoon wrote:
<quoted text>You sure make a lot of assumptions here.
Nascartoon wrote:
<quoted text>Without this fence, there would be some grieving families right now.
Funny you are allowed to make assumptions, but I cannot LOL

“I am who I am”

Since: Nov 07

I don't need your permission!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Was she sitting in her seat or standing?

If she was standing at the fence she must bear some responsibility in this matter herself. At very least her parents should. It didn't stipulate in the article what the exact age the teen was. Could have 13 could have been 19.
If she was sitting then it's a sad accident which can and does occur at race tracks. When anyone goes to the track there is some risk involved.
Considering that no one was killed I say all in all the fence did it's job!
Either way it's sad that this injury was sustained.
When they used too race at our home track a car went into the stands and caught fire. Mind you the stands were as close as could be to the track. The car went right over the fence. Scary and tragic! To the day the track closed they paid tribute to those fans and the driver who lost their lives.
Unfortunately it's part of racing. Unless everyone wants to watch from the comfort of their homes this situation will be repeated. Hopefully not often and not tragically.

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
"No one got killed" is a poor argument. Someone had their jaw broke. Had that persons head been turned to the side, instead of facing forward, they'd be dead.
Had that person with the broken jaw, been a small children, they'd be dead.
I sure hope Nascar doesn't echo your opinion.
Oh jeez, now you're a "pediatric surgeon"?

Quit making a fool of yourself with all of your pipe dreams!

Here's a pipe fream for you. Had that person with the broken jaw, been a small "children", the debris would have gone right over her head and caused no damage!!!

“I am who I am”

Since: Nov 07

I don't need your permission!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no assumptions. Something hit an adults face, hard enough to break their jaw.
What exactly is "assumed"? Do you think someone got hit in their knee cap and thats how they broke their jaw?
Something big enough, flying fast enough to break an adults jaw, if it hits someone small, with softer bones, or hits the same person on the side of the skull where it is soft tissue so to speak, its only logical to say the outcome would have been worse, much worse.
Thats not an assumption, its logic.
You are right it could have killed a child. It also could have killed an adult. Although a child's bones are softer and tend to with stand a higher impact prior to an actual break. Situations that break adult bones won't always break a childs bones.
The fence did prevent the car from continuing into the stands. At least we can be thankful for that.
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
"No one got killed" is a poor argument. Someone had their jaw broke. Had that persons head been turned to the side, instead of facing forward, they'd be dead.
Had that person with the broken jaw, been a small children, they'd be dead.
I sure hope Nascar doesn't echo your opinion.
Mario, with all due respect, fans of all sports attend events with the knowledge of a certain aspect of danger, this is one of the things that attract people. Go to a baseball game and a foul ball or a bat can come into the stands and hurt or kill you. Go to an NFL game and some drunk loser with his posse will attempt to intimidate you, if you have a jersey on he does not like, and start a fight if you stand up for your rights. Go to a hockey game and the flying puck offers the danger. Anybody who thinks that you can go to a track where the cars are going over 190 and think there is not some type of personal risk is either stupid or living in a dream world. NASCAR will and can never make the sport a 100% safe for the fans, drivers, workers or team members, this is a fact, if you do not agree with it, be a TV fan and hope your recliner does not pinch your more than ample touch.
Texas Girl

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Apr 30, 2009
 
I was there, fortunately in the Tower seats. I was also on the ground when people were being taken out on "Gators". The injuries were minor on most that I saw. But, and I have been a target of criticism since I first said this, the seats are so close together that I think some of the injuries were cause trying to "break and run". I am not making light of any of the injuries, it was a scary thing. I do think the fence held up well. When I saw Carl in the air I thought OMG we are going to have a huge tragedy today. I had a pit pass and took pictures with my friend by the fence and even tried to take pictures through the fence before the race. That fence is strong with very tiny holes. It is not like a chain link fence. I know in our seats if someone needed to get in or out of the row you had to stand because the seats are so close. I can see if there was something to where I needed to get away fast, I would hurt myself just because of the how tight everyone is in there and how many people are there. I was sitting next to a guy twice my size. If he tried to swing his arm back in a hurry he would have broken my nose. I am not making light of the situation or injuries but I do believe that some of the injuries were due to people reacting and not necessarily debris.

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

lilbit88 wrote:
Was she sitting in her seat or standing?
If she was standing at the fence she must bear some responsibility in this matter herself. At very least her parents should. It didn't stipulate in the article what the exact age the teen was. Could have 13 could have been 19.
If she was sitting then it's a sad accident which can and does occur at race tracks. When anyone goes to the track there is some risk involved.
Considering that no one was killed I say all in all the fence did it's job!
Either way it's sad that this injury was sustained.
When they used too race at our home track a car went into the stands and caught fire. Mind you the stands were as close as could be to the track. The car went right over the fence. Scary and tragic! To the day the track closed they paid tribute to those fans and the driver who lost their lives.
Unfortunately it's part of racing. Unless everyone wants to watch from the comfort of their homes this situation will be repeated. Hopefully not often and not tragically.
If you look at the video, from the angle shot over the crowd, no one is standing at the fence.

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Mario, with all due respect, fans of all sports attend events with the knowledge of a certain aspect of danger, this is one of the things that attract people. Go to a baseball game and a foul ball or a bat can come into the stands and hurt or kill you. Go to an NFL game and some drunk loser with his posse will attempt to intimidate you, if you have a jersey on he does not like, and start a fight if you stand up for your rights. Go to a hockey game and the flying puck offers the danger. Anybody who thinks that you can go to a track where the cars are going over 190 and think there is not some type of personal risk is either stupid or living in a dream world. NASCAR will and can never make the sport a 100% safe for the fans, drivers, workers or team members, this is a fact, if you do not agree with it, be a TV fan and hope your recliner does not pinch your more than ample touch.
Who's Mario? LMFAO
Nascartoon

Bloomfield Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Apr 30, 2009
 
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no assumptions. Something hit an adults face, hard enough to break their jaw.
What exactly is "assumed"? Do you think someone got hit in their knee cap and thats how they broke their jaw?
Something big enough, flying fast enough to break an adults jaw, if it hits someone small, with softer bones, or hits the same person on the side of the skull where it is soft tissue so to speak, its only logical to say the outcome would have been worse, much worse.
Thats not an assumption, its logic.
You made an assumption that if that person were a child they would have died. You also made the assumption that this person turned their head. I guess that lays that out pretty well eh?

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

It's amazing how I can say, something broke bones on a person, given that same impact on someone smaller, younger, or on a different area of the body, a death could have occured and IM wrong, but the rest of you can say 'Thank god the fence was there, otherwise so-and-so would have occured'

None of you know that as much as my argument does. The fact is, the fence was there, so you don't know -what would have happened- if it wasn't.

Bottom line is, the fence blew apart and someone was hospitalized for mulitple days and bones were broken.

Time to re-evaluate the sport if anyone thinks that is acceptable.

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

mrbreeze wrote:
<quoted text>Oh jeez, now you're a "pediatric surgeon"?
Quit making a fool of yourself with all of your pipe dreams!
Here's a pipe fream for you. Had that person with the broken jaw, been a small "children", the debris would have gone right over her head and caused no damage!!!
You'd be the expert on 'making a fool' out of themselves wouldn't ya? What is this like day 40,097 without companionship for you? Talk about a "dry" spell! Literally! LMFAO

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Nascartoon wrote:
<quoted text>You made an assumption that if that person were a child they would have died. You also made the assumption that this person turned their head. I guess that lays that out pretty well eh?
And you do not posses anything that makes me wrong. You have no proof that makes me wrong, and nothing that makes you right.

How bout this....You're right. Its a measley broken jaw and measley days in a hospital. There is no way, under any circumstances, ever, that that event could have resulted in a death. None.

That argument is much more logical? Eh?
Texas Girl

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Apr 30, 2009
 
Well, I have gone to baseball games where people were hit with broken bats and foul balls....I don't see them putting a net around the entire field. Yes, this is a tragedy that happened to this girl but at the same time why do people go to Talladega to watch a race? They go to see the wrecks. No we don't want to see the drivers or fans hurt. NASCAR has already gotten away from its roots where drivers have to be politically correct all the time. If they go overboard like that on safety you might as well watch it at home.
TexasJrFan64

Victoria, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Apr 30, 2009
 
Texas Girl wrote:
I was there, fortunately in the Tower seats. I was also on the ground when people were being taken out on "Gators". The injuries were minor on most that I saw. But, and I have been a target of criticism since I first said this, the seats are so close together that I think some of the injuries were cause trying to "break and run". I am not making light of any of the injuries, it was a scary thing. I do think the fence held up well. When I saw Carl in the air I thought OMG we are going to have a huge tragedy today. I had a pit pass and took pictures with my friend by the fence and even tried to take pictures through the fence before the race. That fence is strong with very tiny holes. It is not like a chain link fence. I know in our seats if someone needed to get in or out of the row you had to stand because the seats are so close. I can see if there was something to where I needed to get away fast, I would hurt myself just because of the how tight everyone is in there and how many people are there. I was sitting next to a guy twice my size. If he tried to swing his arm back in a hurry he would have broken my nose. I am not making light of the situation or injuries but I do believe that some of the injuries were due to people reacting and not necessarily debris.
Uh Huh

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
Except Amtrak doesn't sell tickets that are railside do they?
? you'll have to explain that, because I still see the metro and amtrak trains going through town. They didn't shut down the line because of the train wreck.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Apr 30, 2009
 
Maro wrote:
It's amazing how I can say, something broke bones on a person, given that same impact on someone smaller, younger, or on a different area of the body, a death could have occured and IM wrong, but the rest of you can say 'Thank god the fence was there, otherwise so-and-so would have occured'
None of you know that as much as my argument does. The fact is, the fence was there, so you don't know -what would have happened- if it wasn't.
Bottom line is, the fence blew apart and someone was hospitalized for mulitple days and bones were broken.
Time to re-evaluate the sport if anyone thinks that is acceptable.
Did they ever say if it were debris that caused her injury or some drunk nimrod plowing her. Not that either is ok, but I think it's far more feasible to not pack them in like sardines than it is to kill the race. Again, it's not a great business decision to make because of one rare instance.

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
Except Amtrak doesn't sell tickets that are railside do they?
Are you saying they don't sell them at the stations, but rather you have to buy them online. Clearly I'm confused. LOL!

Otherwise, like I said, I live right next to the station that Metro train was heading to next when it collided with the freight train and they haven't stopped running the Metro or the Surfliner or the freight trains on this line.
scarroll

Purcell, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Has anyone read the back of their ticket. I beleive that it clearly states that the bearer assumes all risk upon entering the race facility. I know that on all the garage passes that I have paid for in my days make it clear that this is a motorsports event and their many inherent risk and that I as the purchaser of the right to be a part of the action that we know and love as NASCAR assumes all of them real and impled upon acceptance of the Pass / ticket. I can't think of another professional sport that makes itself so available to the fans as does NASCAR and with that access comes risk, I have never heard anyone mention putting up a plexiglass wall around the baseball diamond so a fan, young or old, doesn't catch a baseball in the head, or a hockey puck in the chest, or a basketball in the face. The FENCE WORKED it doesnt matter what anyone says, it kept the car out of the stands, save a few pieces, and that is the goal. I am glad to hear the guy is out of the hospital and I bet if anyone would ask him after he gets to look at the footage he would say the same thing,'heck yeah it work did you see the size of that car coming after me".
TexasJrFan64

Victoria, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Apr 30, 2009
 
scarroll wrote:
Has anyone read the back of their ticket. I beleive that it clearly states that the bearer assumes all risk upon entering the race facility. I know that on all the garage passes that I have paid for in my days make it clear that this is a motorsports event and their many inherent risk and that I as the purchaser of the right to be a part of the action that we know and love as NASCAR assumes all of them real and impled upon acceptance of the Pass / ticket. I can't think of another professional sport that makes itself so available to the fans as does NASCAR and with that access comes risk, I have never heard anyone mention putting up a plexiglass wall around the baseball diamond so a fan, young or old, doesn't catch a baseball in the head, or a hockey puck in the chest, or a basketball in the face. The FENCE WORKED it doesnt matter what anyone says, it kept the car out of the stands, save a few pieces, and that is the goal. I am glad to hear the guy is out of the hospital and I bet if anyone would ask him after he gets to look at the footage he would say the same thing,'heck yeah it work did you see the size of that car coming after me".
Legally, a disclaimer does not negate a negligence claim.

“Let's go racing!!!!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Apr 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
"No one got killed" is a poor argument. Someone had their jaw broke. Had that persons head been turned to the side, instead of facing forward, they'd be dead.
Had that person with the broken jaw, been a small children, they'd be dead.
I sure hope Nascar doesn't echo your opinion.
Should have, could have, would have, sure all that could have happened. It did not. I do feel for the people that were injured. The fact still remains the fence did the job for which it was designed. There is nothing in this world that is 100% safe. I am not echoing how anybody but, myself feels about this fence. From what I saw Sunday it sure makes ME and me alone feel much safer about going to the races. Maybe NASCAR should make their fans wear bubble wrap to make them safer at the race.LOL J/K don't bite my head off it was a silly joke. What would you do to make it safer? We could beat this to death but the fact will remain that I think it did it's job and you think it didn't. So I will agree to disagree with you. Your opinion is a good one I just don't agree with it. Have a great day:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of99
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Terry Labonte Discussions

Search the Terry Labonte Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Over-40 drivers: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, oth... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Carolyn 58
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 snow 115
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion, out 2 races (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sidney 13
Terry Labonte nude (Nov '11) Nov '11 Christina 1
Terry Labonte Collectibles For Sale (Feb '10) Feb '10 JHAWTH2 1
1997 Terry Labonte Jebco Frankenstein clock Lim... (Dec '09) Dec '09 1997 Frankenstein clock 1
Best Nascar Victory Celebrations (Sep '09) Sep '09 Cheers For Kyle 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••