Earnhardt wrecks Daytona 500 car

Earnhardt wrecks Daytona 500 car

There are 29 comments on the SanLuisObispo.com story from Feb 16, 2011, titled Earnhardt wrecks Daytona 500 car. In it, SanLuisObispo.com reports that:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has wrecked his pole-winning Daytona 500 car. Earnhardt was pushing Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jimmie Johnson in Wednesday's practice when the contact caused Johnson to bobble.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SanLuisObispo.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jr Haters Suk

Edinboro, PA

#21 Feb 17, 2011
This is NASCAR not the highway, so your "guy behind should control his car, and doesnt matter what jimmie did" argument is flawed. Mainly because only a handfull of people have actually raced on Daytona, and even fewer with this new style of bump drafting. Cars behave differently when they are hooked up like that. The rear car actually does the steering, kind of like an outboard engine on a boat, turning one way makes the car in front turn the opposite way. JJ & Jr were doing just fine running around in practice. Lets look at the whole thing, not just the part you want to, which is mainly the wreck. So how is it that JJ & Jr put about ten or so laps down without even a bobble, but as soon as JJ thought he was going to get pinched, all hell broke loose? Oh probably because mister five time was apprehensive for a split second, his car wiggled, Jr backed off and Truex got into the back of Jr. Its not a lack of talent on Jr's part, more like a brain fart by JJ.
Barnabus

Katy, TX

#22 Feb 17, 2011
Cleo wrote:
<quoted text>
I make no excuses. Its what I believe.
You apparently did not watch the races back in 2007. I did..and he was running in the top 10 when most of his engine problems happened. Remember..the averages only are where he finished at the end doesn't say where he was when it happened. Just saying.
I do believe that he is running a R&D to benefit J.J. and Jeff. If you look back at HMS only two teams have ever run well..the others..well, look at Kyle Busch. Since his departure from HMS, he's been proven a winner. IMO, if JR moved to his own team, the results would be better.
HMS and JR just do not fit together. It happens. Look at kyle Busch, and Brian Vickers. Both are doing much better away from the HMS fold.
I have no hate for HMS as you seem to have for JR. Wow..its just a sport. There are other more important things out there, instead of disagreeing on a bunch of overpaid, ungrateful, sports figures.
I don't waste my time "hating" anybody. I'm just discussing NASCAR and Junior is a part of NASCAR, so I discuss Junior. Just sayin' it as I see it, it's not my fault (or hate) that the facts about Junior ain't pretty.
Barnabus

Katy, TX

#23 Feb 17, 2011
Jr Haters Suk wrote:
This is NASCAR not the highway, so your "guy behind should control his car, and doesnt matter what jimmie did" argument is flawed. Mainly because only a handfull of people have actually raced on Daytona, and even fewer with this new style of bump drafting. Cars behave differently when they are hooked up like that. The rear car actually does the steering, kind of like an outboard engine on a boat, turning one way makes the car in front turn the opposite way. JJ & Jr were doing just fine running around in practice. Lets look at the whole thing, not just the part you want to, which is mainly the wreck. So how is it that JJ & Jr put about ten or so laps down without even a bobble, but as soon as JJ thought he was going to get pinched, all hell broke loose? Oh probably because mister five time was apprehensive for a split second, his car wiggled, Jr backed off and Truex got into the back of Jr. Its not a lack of talent on Jr's part, more like a brain fart by JJ.
Highway or NASCAR, the laws of physics are the same. When two cars are moving in the same direction, the one in front cannot "hit" the one behind him without changing direction. So, Jimmie did not hit Junior, Junior hit Jimmie, therefore it's Junior's fault. Jimmie can't be expected to drive for the guy behind him. Junior (not Jimmie) is responsible for driving Junior's car.
Anto Sugar

Streator, IL

#24 Feb 18, 2011
Barnabus wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't waste my time "hating" anybody. I'm just discussing NASCAR and Junior is a part of NASCAR, so I discuss Junior. Just sayin' it as I see it, it's not my fault (or hate) that the facts about Junior ain't pretty.
Thats bullshit you spend most of your time hating on Jr. If you seen the wreck you would of seen a chain reaction when Johnson checked up snd Truex go into Jr and they crashed. Chain reaction. You and Alpine who think you know it all spend most of your time on these Jr. posts hating on Jr.I can imagine you are both in need of a gastric by-pass and spend your miserable existences writing negatative comments.And why I am wasting my time even responding is beyond me. Get a life.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#25 Feb 18, 2011
I was at the Bud Shoot Out and it looked like Jr. hit the brakes and caused the wreak on the back stretch.

I will be at the 500 on Sunday and I already have my 3 Jr. Die cast cars ready.
Die Cast No 1. looks like Jr’s Wrecked Bud Shoot Out Car
Die Cast No 2. looks like Jr’s 1st Wrecked 500 Car
Die Cast No 3. looks like Jr’s 2nd Wrecked 500 Car that will be in the garage Sunday.

I did not buy a forth so I hope he does not wreck today or tomorrow.

Jr. Nation Suckssssssssssssss……….
Jr Haters Suk

Edinboro, PA

#26 Feb 18, 2011
Barnabus wrote:
<quoted text>
Highway or NASCAR, the laws of physics are the same. When two cars are moving in the same direction, the one in front cannot "hit" the one behind him without changing direction. So, Jimmie did not hit Junior, Junior hit Jimmie, therefore it's Junior's fault. Jimmie can't be expected to drive for the guy behind him. Junior (not Jimmie) is responsible for driving Junior's car.
Once again you are avoiding the point of my argument. If I understand yours, you believe that every wreck is the fault of the driver. Sadly that is not the case. Your logic is old and flawed. We have never seen this kind of racing before, with respect to the two car tandem. So I don’t understand why you think its Jr.s fault. The car behind cannot see what is ahead of the two. When the cars are hooked together like they were, it is the leaders responsibility to drive as smooth as possible. What I am stating is that if JJ stayed in the throttle, and not assume that the slower cars were going to move up. Then there would have not been an accident(ie. Truex smashing Jr‘s rear bumper). It is just that simple. JJ got scared and lifted with someone pushing him. That is just a stupid move at 194 mph. No matter how hard you desperately want Jr. to fail, I am sorry but you cant use that wreck as one of your examples of Jr.s lack of talent.
Wang

Morristown, TN

#27 Feb 18, 2011
Anto Sugar wrote:
<quoted text>Thats bullshit you spend most of your time hating on Jr. If you seen the wreck you would of seen a chain reaction when Johnson checked up snd Truex go into Jr and they crashed. Chain reaction. You and Alpine who think you know it all spend most of your time on these Jr. posts hating on Jr.I can imagine you are both in need of a gastric by-pass and spend your miserable existences writing negatative comments.And why I am wasting my time even responding is beyond me. Get a life.
Rooks rike youl post lesurt flom youl gastric off-gassing. Maybe Exrax give you lerief.
Barnabus

Katy, TX

#28 Feb 18, 2011
Jr Haters Suk wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you are avoiding the point of my argument. If I understand yours, you believe that every wreck is the fault of the driver. Sadly that is not the case. Your logic is old and flawed. We have never seen this kind of racing before, with respect to the two car tandem. So I don’t understand why you think its Jr.s fault. The car behind cannot see what is ahead of the two. When the cars are hooked together like they were, it is the leaders responsibility to drive as smooth as possible. What I am stating is that if JJ stayed in the throttle, and not assume that the slower cars were going to move up. Then there would have not been an accident(ie. Truex smashing Jr‘s rear bumper). It is just that simple. JJ got scared and lifted with someone pushing him. That is just a stupid move at 194 mph. No matter how hard you desperately want Jr. to fail, I am sorry but you cant use that wreck as one of your examples of Jr.s lack of talent.
So, you feel qualified to get inside Jimmie's mind and determine that when he's going around at nearly 200 miles per hour he has no right to "assume" that other cars that appear to him at that split second are moving up, actually are or may move up the track and into his path? Jimmie should not use his extensive talent and his natural reflexes and react in such a way that may save his very life if, indeed, those cars do move up the track....lest he upset Dale Jr who is blindly riding on his bumper and cause Dale Jr to wreck. Is that right?

Well, what if Jimmie did drive as you feel he should have, and he hadn't lifted, and what if those cars ahead of him did move up the track in front of him? Should he then just turn full speed into the wall in order to avoid making contact with those cars? Or should he just go ahead and plow full speed into the cars that are now in front of him? Either way, wouldn't whatever move he made then be the wrong move because when he wrecks, Dale Jr would also ride his bumper into the wreck?

At 200 miles per hour, Jimmie needs to drive so that he avoids his own trouble, it is not his problem if Dale Jr is on his bumper and can't avoid trouble if Jimmie needs to check up for any reason that Jimmie checks up. At those speeds, when his life is on the line, Jimmie doesn't need Dale Jr's (or Jr's fans) permission to protect himself. And your second guessing from the comfort of your armchair doesn't carry much weight in the argument.

I repeat, Dale Jr is 100% responsible for how Dale Jr drives. Jimmie cannot be concerned with how the drivers behind him are driving when he needs to keep his own car off the wall and out of trouble.

And, no, I don't believe the driver is responsible for every wreck, drivers do get caught up in wrecks that aren't their fault, but there is no way to blame Jimmie for Dale wrecking this time, Jr hit Jimmie, it was plainly Jr's own fault.
annie

United States

#29 Feb 18, 2011
Barnabus wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you feel qualified to get inside Jimmie's mind and determine that when he's going around at nearly 200 miles per hour he has no right to "assume" that other cars that appear to him at that split second are moving up, actually are or may move up the track and into his path? Jimmie should not use his extensive talent and his natural reflexes and react in such a way that may save his very life if, indeed, those cars do move up the track....lest he upset Dale Jr who is blindly riding on his bumper and cause Dale Jr to wreck. Is that right?
Well, what if Jimmie did drive as you feel he should have, and he hadn't lifted, and what if those cars ahead of him did move up the track in front of him? Should he then just turn full speed into the wall in order to avoid making contact with those cars? Or should he just go ahead and plow full speed into the cars that are now in front of him? Either way, wouldn't whatever move he made then be the wrong move because when he wrecks, Dale Jr would also ride his bumper into the wreck?
At 200 miles per hour, Jimmie needs to drive so that he avoids his own trouble, it is not his problem if Dale Jr is on his bumper and can't avoid trouble if Jimmie needs to check up for any reason that Jimmie checks up. At those speeds, when his life is on the line, Jimmie doesn't need Dale Jr's (or Jr's fans) permission to protect himself. And your second guessing from the comfort of your armchair doesn't carry much weight in the argument.
I repeat, Dale Jr is 100% responsible for how Dale Jr drives. Jimmie cannot be concerned with how the drivers behind him are driving when he needs to keep his own car off the wall and out of trouble.
And, no, I don't believe the driver is responsible for every wreck, drivers do get caught up in wrecks that aren't their fault, but there is no way to blame Jimmie for Dale wrecking this time, Jr hit Jimmie, it was plainly Jr's own fault.
You know I bet the Korean War and Vietnam War was Dale Jrs fault too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Teresa Earnhardt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halfway through NASCAR Sprint Cup season, new r... Jul '16 RichK 2
News McMurray starts 'Big One,' wrecks half the fiel... Jul '16 MrTinkertrain24 1
News NASCAR Sprint Cup incident with Logano leaves T... (Mar '16) Mar '16 MrTinkertrain24 1
News Harvick, Logano renew feud with Daytona confron... (Feb '15) Feb '15 MrTinkertrain24 1
News Bowyer finding some peace as he returns to Kansas (Oct '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 24
News Michael Waltrip in his biggest fight for survival (Sep '13) Oct '13 Whoyakidding 31
News Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 tell me someone 7
More from around the web