Marlin could drive for Franchitti at Darlington

Apr 28, 2008 Full story: www.tennessean.com 10

Columbia's Sterling Marlin may drive again for Chip Ganassi Racing as a substitute for the injured Dario Franchitti in the May 10 Sprint Cup race at Darlington.

Full Story

Since: Aug 07

Sterling, IL

#1 Apr 28, 2008
That'll work for me. He'll get the points up I hope! I HOPE!!
Marlin Booster

Anchorage, AK

#2 Apr 28, 2008
It would be awesome to see him drive it, but I don't know that that's the track for him to show what he can still do. He's a mile-and-longer track guy. Still, you put him in a good car with a solid team and you can pretty much be sure he'll give it a go. He might not like all the travel in the big leagues, but he's still a racer at heart. Not too many more chances to drive strong cars, so I'd like to see him get behind the wheel of that car.

Since: Aug 07

Sterling, IL

#3 Apr 28, 2008
Marlin Booster wrote:
It would be awesome to see him drive it, but I don't know that that's the track for him to show what he can still do. He's a mile-and-longer track guy. Still, you put him in a good car with a solid team and you can pretty much be sure he'll give it a go. He might not like all the travel in the big leagues, but he's still a racer at heart. Not too many more chances to drive strong cars, so I'd like to see him get behind the wheel of that car.
Stremme isn't available so the odds are looking good he'll be in that car.
Nancy

Hollywood, FL

#4 Apr 28, 2008
I have to put this here it's a hoot. I enjoy sterling Marlin I'm from Tenn. and he was race royalty.

A Country Boy Can Survive
Sterling Marlin among a vanishing breed as the sport morphs from country to cosmo
By Larry Woody

We can't confirm it, but we feel it's a fairly safe assumption that Sterling Marlin is the only NASCAR driver in history to accidentally set a cow on fire.

Here's how it happened: Several years ago Sterling was helping his dad, Coo Coo (yes, we know what you're thinking, and no, the nickname is not related to the story in any way) with some branding and delousing, when all of a sudden ... well, let Sterling explain it:

"Me and Daddy had herded a bunch of cattle into the chutes, and I was pouring some stuff on them to kill lice while Daddy branded them," Sterling says. "Me and him are pretty bad about reading directions, and we didn't know the stuff was real flammable. I'd poured a bunch of the medicine on the back of one old cow, and when Daddy stuck her with that hot branding iron--poof! She burst into flames. We started throwin' dirt on her to put her out."
And?
"Aw, she was OK. Just singed her a little bit," Sterling continued.

Just another day on the farm for Sterling, the only child of Coo Coo and Eula Faye, who spent his boyhood doing backbreaking chores while daring to dream about racing at such magical meccas as Daytona, Talladega, Darlington, and Charlotte. Someday he would leave Carter's Creek behind and see the world. Someday fans would cheer his name. Someday ... Today the dream has come true for Marlin. At age 45 he is an established NASCAR star, champion of two Daytona 500s, and the winner of $25 million in purses. He was the front-runner for the coveted Winston Cup Championship for most of the 2002 season before being sidelined by injury.

The gold and glory have not turned Sterling's head. He remains as down-to-earth--"as country as cornbread" as one buddy put it--as he was growing up on the family farm near Columbia, Tennessee. He also remains one of NASCAR's last links to its rural past, when Southern boys dominated the sport, and when racing oozed with colorful personalities.
Marlin Booster

Anchorage, AK

#6 Apr 29, 2008
I got to meet him and his team when he was in the 4 Kodak car and won his first 500. They were so drunk from celebrating they locked themselves out of their condos at the beach and kept partying until someone woke up around dawn and let them in. That was a fun team. I've liked him ever since then - even with that hairpiece!
Nancy

Hollywood, FL

#7 Apr 29, 2008
I just read where it said that Schrader would drive for francitti which one will do it?
Marlin Booster

Anchorage, AK

#8 Apr 30, 2008
Schrader's in for this week, but there's no word on when Franchitti is going to be able to drive again with his broken ankle. If Schrader does well, I don't know why they'd pull him and put Marlin in. I don't know whether Sterling's on good enough terms with Ganassi. I thought the 09 team was supposed to be entering this week, but maybe I'm mistaken because they're not on the list of entries. I guess Sterling will go drive the local track again like he does for fun.
Marlin Booster

Anchorage, AK

#9 Apr 30, 2008
Followup: I checked the track stats and Schrader has a slightly better record than Marlin at Richmond. Neither of them does that great there. But at Darlington it's a whole other story. I didn't know that Marlin has 2 wins there and something like 10 top 10's, much better than Schrader (or anyone else who might be available, for that matter). I think his wins at Darlington must have come in the 40 car, since he didn't have too many wins in any other car. I really didn't think he was that good at Darlington, so it's a pleasant surprise to see that he has won there.
test

Makati, Philippines

#10 Apr 30, 2008
test
megan

Sterling, IL

#12 Apr 30, 2008
test wrote:
test
testing to see if your proxy works it did coward, db/pt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Feb '14 Alfred Tull 39
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web