Racing At Fairgrounds Speedway Could Be Finished - NewsChannel ...

Racing may be over with at the Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville. The season closing All-American 400 has been canceled, and no one knows if another race will ever take place there again. Full Story
yep

Nashville, TN

#1 Nov 5, 2009
The Mayor has plans for that land
RationalViews

Brentwood, TN

#2 Nov 5, 2009
I keep hearing about the history of the track and the drivers that raced on it. It really doesn't matter who raced on it 25 years ago. Nascar moved on and this track couldn't host a major race without significant safely enhancements. The Fairgrounds track would need new 'catch fences' to keep the cars out of the stands, repaving, upgraded pits and improved retaining walls.

The other thing it needs are fans - the track averages less than a thousand fans at the Saturday races.

I wish that this track could be resurrected to its glory days but without large dollar investment and a renewed relationship with Nascar it will not happen.

If a Nascar track is a good investment, then we will need to find some well-heeled investors to build a new track in the Nashville area that meets the Nascar standards and is an attractive place to host a major race.
WWE NASCAR

Florham Park, NJ

#3 Nov 5, 2009
Attendance has fell everywhere for stock car racing," said Marlin.

Sure most small tracks are hurting, while greedy NASCAR suck them dry, and fake race fans sit on their couches watching NASCAR nonsense on the boob tube.
Curious

Bowling Green, KY

#4 Nov 5, 2009
RationalViews wrote:
I keep hearing about the history of the track and the drivers that raced on it. It really doesn't matter who raced on it 25 years ago. Nascar moved on and this track couldn't host a major race without significant safely enhancements. The Fairgrounds track would need new 'catch fences' to keep the cars out of the stands, repaving, upgraded pits and improved retaining walls.
The other thing it needs are fans - the track averages less than a thousand fans at the Saturday races.
I wish that this track could be resurrected to its glory days but without large dollar investment and a renewed relationship with Nascar it will not happen.
If a Nascar track is a good investment, then we will need to find some well-heeled investors to build a new track in the Nashville area that meets the Nascar standards and is an attractive place to host a major race.
Dude, Nashville has a track out in Lebanon. The Nashville Superspeedway (or what ever it's called). Don't look for the cup series to race there tho. Kentucky Speedway, from what I've been told, is a nicer track and they're yet to get a cup race there.
Chase

United States

#5 Nov 5, 2009
Where are we gonna race if they take the track away from us. All the History it has you would think someone would not even think bout getting rid of it. I've been going there since i was a little girl and i love racing always have and always will. If they do get this land and tear down the track i know i wont step foot in what they build or put there. Karl Dean and the city or whoever is in on this. YALL SUCK! why would yall take away something thats been there before you or i were born just to make somemore money hell i think you could make whatever you got planned somewhere else..why does it have to be our racetrack! Alot of people love this track and you want to take it away to make more money..Thats not Fair to us!
Justice or not

Thompsons Station, TN

#6 Nov 5, 2009
Again the middle class get the short end. Another venue that basically appeals to the majority middle class is being taken over by a group of wealthy special interest friends of the mayor. What is next? The Ryman land needed for a high rise condo that will generate a better tax base than an historical venue? The fairgrounds should have been designated a historical site long ago and maybe they could not have touched it. I wonder if it is deed restricted in any way? My great, great aunt used to harness race horses on the dirt track back around 1900. We have the dated trophies to prove it. The horse barns used to sit down in the flats near the creek.
DEE

Smyrna, TN

#7 Nov 5, 2009
They would rather build a big convention center in downtown than keep something going that more people would have an interest in.
sad race fan

Mcminnville, TN

#8 Nov 5, 2009
Dean needs the money from the sale of the land to help dig his butt out of the bind he has put it in with the lack of funding for his precious convention center. I think the fact that he has not addressed this issue in a public forum is proof that the deal was made sometime ago without any regard for the track, the history of the people who will be affected.
Dwarf 91

Clarksville, TN

#9 Nov 5, 2009
Where else can you take a family for a night out for under $20.00? Where are the values of our so called mayor??
Mike Murray

United States

#10 Nov 5, 2009
Seems the Mayor and his so called administration are showing their lack of values. The Fairgrounds is an asset to Nashville and middle Tennessee. As stated above, where else can a family go in Nashville and have 4 hours of entertainment for $20-$30? Where will the kids spend Saturday nights? Maybe they can take up something that will keep Metro police busy. It has over the years, been self sustaining.......no tax dollars at all. In fact, if someone dug deep enough they would probably find where Metro funneled money from the Fair Board account into Metros account to make up for their losses in another department.
I believe that desisions like this, along with the so called needed convention center and hotel downtown, will assure the city of Nashville, that the Mayor is serving his only term! Can't see past his nose on his face!
(probably because its up someone else's you know what)
RationalViews

Brentwood, TN

#11 Nov 5, 2009
There is a larger lesson here - leave something in the hands of government be it city, state or federal and you are subject to control. The Fairgrounds Speedway is owned by Metro - if you want a race track it better be privately owned.

Not to lose this thread completely but just wait until your healthcare is owned by the government.

Anyway, the Fairgrounds Speedway was actually developed with private money but of course is on Metro owned land. We can't expect Metro to invest money in a race track when as is was stated earlier there is already another track near Lebanon. It is my understanding that the Nashville Super Speedway near Lebanon is not selling out for its events either.

Anyway, losing the track is sad but gaining a government controlled convention center/hotel is far more troubling to me
Stevesintn

Dickson, TN

#12 Nov 6, 2009
Metro needs to give one more season. It would be alot easier for people to let go if they were given a farewell season at the track. Mayor Dean and the Metro Gov't could earn alot of points with people if they did it.
Andrew

Hendersonville, TN

#13 Nov 7, 2009
The Nashville track has more history than Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Those who made this decision clearly could car less for the sport and made decisions based on their own feelings. If I did't like baseball, I wouldn't go shut down Fenway Park or a towns' field for kids to play on.

Nashville is one of the greatest short tracks in the country. It does have major events, too. What do you call the All American 400? It is one of the biggest short track events of the year. For those not aware, there are a LOT more series that race besides Nascar Sprint Cup. It is also a safe and very competitve venue, especially for a short track. Nashville Superspeedway is a different animal, and the two need not be compared.

Karl Dean and others involved need to think of whats better for the world than own personal gains aka, a self built shrine to be called a convention center. But, when do you expect a politian to do that? Remeber who you work for, Dean. This isn't your decision.
RationalViews

Brentwood, TN

#14 Nov 7, 2009
Andrew - even with events like the All American 400, attendance has been very low at the Fairgrounds Speedway. It's a great short track but it's owned by Metro. Who owns Indianapolis Raceway; who owns Bristol? I'm going to guess that they are privately owned and not subject to city budgets.

The only solution for Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway was to award a long-term lease (10+years) and make some capital improvements. This should have been done years ago and needed to be put out to bid the way other contracts are let.

We're all blaming Karl Dean but it's the decisions made 5-10 years ago that sealed this track's fate.
Curious

United States

#15 Nov 7, 2009
What is everyones opinion about when the superspeedway was built, how did that play into the long term fate of the track?
deaf neighbor

Nashville, TN

#16 Nov 10, 2009
Yay! I can finally take out my ear plugs. And maybe sell a house in the area for a lil profit!
Mike Murray Franklin TN

United States

#17 Nov 11, 2009
Was the track there when you bought your house deaf neighbor? If so, maybe you should have driven around the block one more time. Its sad that people make such bad decisions and then expect others to suffer. If you don't like noise, or racing, don't buy a home close to a racetrack! DUH!! If the track were gone, I guess then you will push for the railroad to move their tracks. Just keep this in mind, if Karl sells to HCA as rumored, you may get to listen to sirens every day of the week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Feb '14 Alfred Tull 39
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web