Sterling Marlin loses ride

Sterling Marlin loses ride

There are 92 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jul 17, 2007, titled Sterling Marlin loses ride. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Columbia's Sterling Marlin is out of the Ginn Racing number 14 car, and perhaps out of Nextel Cup racing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mark

United States

#95 Sep 18, 2007
FORDMAN wrote:
He had it coming since February 18th, 2001.
I guess you are a D*I*C*K*B*R*E*A*T*H fan!
Still a Sterling Fan

North Pole, AK

#96 Sep 21, 2007
I think if NASCAR just said the new rule is: "One owner, one team, one driver" within a few years they'd see that the sport is growing again. Right now it's flat, with TV either leveled off or dropping. Make it like other major sports, where an owner can only build one team - win or lose. You can stick with the stupid sponsorship stuff, but if NASCAR was looking ahead they'd know that it's the sport, not a bunch of changeable sponsors, that matters. Remember when it was the Winston Cup? The fact that they would have to change the very name of their own championship shows how much this "sport" has sold its soul to sponsors. You think any of the four real sports would put a product name on their trophy and have to change it when the sponsor decided spending millions was no longer worth it?
If NASCAR's team owners owned the sport, the way the real sports' owners do, they would have more than enough shared revenue from TV and merchandising to let the smaller teams have a shot at a title. Every year in the NFL the worst teams can improve their playoff chances because the playing field is level for all teams. If NASCAR adopted a one owner/one team approach, winning would be a factor of pit crew performance, crew chief and spotter strategy, and - ultimately - driver skill. It's the only way a talented driver like Marlin could stick with the sport. The marketing emphasis in NASCAR has made it a farce. I quit watching about 3 years ago, before Sterling ever lost his ride. The stuff isn't interesting any more, plain and simple. I really don't care who's driving the 8 car, because we found out that a car number means nothing, team loyalty means nothing, and owner loyalty means nothing.
Brandon

Kittanning, PA

#97 Oct 2, 2007
Put Sterling back in the #40 where he belongs.I'm sure he will win the championship if somebody will give him a chance and have a desent ride.
Brandon

Kittanning, PA

#98 Oct 2, 2007
Nascar is getting where it sucks more and more every race the same people win every sunday and it is getting old very fast.

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#99 Oct 3, 2007
Brandon wrote:
Nascar is getting where it sucks more and more every race the same people win every sunday and it is getting old very fast.
What race are you watching?
Still a Sterling Fan

North Pole, AK

#100 Oct 4, 2007
Nascar has one "game" a week, but if they go head to head with the NFL on TV, guess who wins the ratings? Gee....Nascar sure is popular....they beat out bowling and women's soccer...

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#101 Oct 5, 2007
Still a Sterling Fan wrote:
Nascar has one "game" a week, but if they go head to head with the NFL on TV, guess who wins the ratings? Gee....Nascar sure is popular....they beat out bowling and women's soccer...
Ha! Ha! Just b/c they did Sterling WRONG!!,and i agree that ,they were wrong !! But.. Nascar is still a lg Sell Out! Do you ever attend any? I can't take from the Drivers what Nascar sets forth as RULES!! Those i disagree with !! Nothin like Back In The Day's of the 70's!! Racin that's for sure!!.I sure hope Sterling, Gets a Full time ride in 08! "Go Jr!!,Take Back Dega"!!!
Still a Sterling Fan

North Pole, AK

#102 Oct 5, 2007
I used to live in Daytona in the 90's, and that's when I became a Sterling fan. Got to see him win his second 500, but not the first.

Too many open-wheel guys and young guys coming up now. Best he can hope for next year is to fill in for someone. I don't think there's any chance of a full-time ride (even if he wanted to go full-time) with a decent team.
Eddie Ray

New Albany, IN

#103 Oct 16, 2007
I would like to see Sterlin get a good ride, I still belive he has more win's in him. Sterlin is a great competior and he knows how to race. Hopefully one of the good teams will give him a call. Can't wait to buy a new Sterlin Hat and shirt and Diecast car.
loyal

Poplar Bluff, MO

#104 Oct 22, 2007
[Does Sterling even want to be with Nascar if they allow people like ginn? I think he is a honest up standing guy. Where is he now?
Paul from Hawaii

Lahaina, HI

#105 Nov 1, 2007
I too have been a sterling fan since i was a kid.And his dad too,cukoo. Ive watched him race in daytona watched him win the pepsi 400 etc. Also watched him at dover.Hes one of the best remaining drivers nascar has.A shame more people dont see it. Thanks for signing my hat sterling and having dinner with us in dover couple of years back. Your a great person Who deserves better.
DALE SUCKS

Miami, FL

#106 Nov 11, 2007
FORDMAN wrote:
He had it coming since February 18th, 2001.
And because of that he's my hero FOREVER!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Feb '14 Alfred Tull 39
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
News Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
News Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
News Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
News CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web