Sterling Marlin loses ride

Sterling Marlin loses ride

There are 92 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Jul 17, 2007, titled Sterling Marlin loses ride. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Columbia's Sterling Marlin is out of the Ginn Racing number 14 car, and perhaps out of Nextel Cup racing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

Since: Jul 07

EARNHARDTVILLE

#28 Jul 25, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, i hated that, but i think what pissed me off more than anything is when he got injured in 2002, and he was leading the championship. I think he could've won it that year, and at one point that season, i thought he'd win it hands down with the huge lead he had, it was at almost 200 pts at one point that season. Unfortunately since then, he and that team, the whole Ganassi organization, as went to hell. I dont know if u know this, but RCR offered Sterlin the Jack Daniel's car when it was put together starting 2005 season, but he still had one year left on his contract, and stayed loyal to Ganassi thinkin Ganassi would give him a contract extension to keep in the car until he retired. Unfortunately, Ganassi backstabbed him and gave into Coor's pressure to put a younger driver, Stremme, who has absolutely no talent, in my opinion. RCR even offered to buy Sterlin out of his last year on his contract. Ganassi and Ginn are backstabbing jackasses!
DAMN STRAIGHT. I do and always will beleive
he would have won also if he had't got hurt! what the
heck is NASCAR thinking? they sure don't stand by the
ole boys that got it all started in the first place...
JMO... Makes u wonder. yeah Sterling should have left
those jackasses . But again thats MARLIN A MAN OF HIS
WORD . what a mess ! nope don't have nothing 4 Stremme
and I don't think Stremme has anything 4 Nascar. JMO
mark in minnesota

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Jul 25, 2007
once again sterling is pushed aside for a never will-be. see the current "driver" of the 40 backstabbing coors car. nascar's rule change as we go has got to stop. quality drivers get pushed aside for b.s. reasons. name one driver who has won a race after replacing marlin. i know mcmurray. name another.

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#30 Jul 25, 2007
mark in minnesota wrote:
once again sterling is pushed aside for a never will-be. see the current "driver" of the 40 backstabbing coors car. nascar's rule change as we go has got to stop. quality drivers get pushed aside for b.s. reasons. name one driver who has won a race after replacing marlin. i know mcmurray. name another.
I can't.
what the heck is NASCAR THINKING .....all young guns !
don't get me wrong i like a lot of em but lets be real
still love my ole country boy Sterling &Ricky Rudd.I
was hoping ole rooster would run a little better this
year, no matter what they wiil always be GREAT in my
eyes. nice nite to ya
FORDMAN

Arlington, VA

#31 Jul 26, 2007
Sterling had it coming
Rodeorich

Holton, KS

#34 Jul 26, 2007
FORDMAN wrote:
Sterling had it coming
ARE YOU CRAZY???? Evidently you dont know Sterling and the amount of class that he has. At Kansas City I stood in line to get his autograph. The guys told all of us we would have to try again later. Sterling looked up at the man and told him he wasnt leaving until everyone got an autograph and if he had a problem with that they could "Talk" about it later.

Rodeorich
Robert

United States

#35 Jul 26, 2007
Sterling is and always will be my favorite driver. He is everything that NASCAR was. I sincerely hope he finds another ride ASAP!

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#36 Jul 26, 2007
FORDMAN wrote:
Sterling had it coming
Thats your opinion

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#37 Jul 26, 2007
Rodeorich wrote:
<quoted text>
ARE YOU CRAZY???? Evidently you dont know Sterling and the amount of class that he has. At Kansas City I stood in line to get his autograph. The guys told all of us we would have to try again later. Sterling looked up at the man and told him he wasnt leaving until everyone got an autograph and if he had a problem with that they could "Talk" about it later.
Rodeorich
Thats ole Sterling for you ( CLASS )
Carl R

Modesto, CA

#39 Jul 27, 2007
Sterlin Marlin is the reason we make sure we tune in to the nextel race. I hope he's not ready to retire yet, this is no way for him to go out.
Isn't it the owner's responsibilty to guarantee sponorship and not the drivers? Obviously this was poor management on Ginn, Sterling was in the top 35!Definitely boycott Ginn Resorts! And wouldn't it be nice to hear a thankyou from Paul Menard who aquired all of Sterling's top 35 points and who is locked into the next 5 races due to Sterling's hard work!!
Sterling is always number one with me!!
Go Sterlin
wood

Woolrich, PA

#40 Jul 27, 2007
marlin is a great driver ginn sux ....... he should have put more money in too there team!!!!!!!!!! marlin can win if he had a good ride!!!!!!!!!!

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#41 Jul 27, 2007
wood wrote:
marlin is a great driver ginn sux ....... he should have put more money in too there team!!!!!!!!!! marlin can win if he had a good ride!!!!!!!!!!
And WITH CLASS !....DAMN SHAME
caliman_tennroot s

Fallbrook, CA

#42 Jul 28, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>

I think something that could happen, at least i think would be a good idea, is to see Marlin at Petty. He was rumored, before Bobby Labonte got it, for the 43 ride when his contract ended at Ganassi, so he wants to do a limited schedule, i could see Kyle and Sterlin splitting the 45 ride. Plus Sterlin's dad, Coo Coo, and Richard were really good friends back from their racing days.

My Dad was born in Tennessee and he was the one who got me interested in NASCAR. When Petty retired, I became a Marlin Fan.

Petty only went to Pontiac because Mopar (Plymouth, Dodge) dropped out of NASCAR. I'm pretty sure that Marlin prefers a Dodge ride, and to see him driving for Petty would send chills down the spine of not only me, but thousands of Petty and Marlin fans!!!

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#44 Jul 28, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldnt agree more! i pulled for Petty when i was a kid, i loved when Kyle drove the #42 Mello Yello car, and i think that was his best year ever in 1992, but i didnt start rooting for Marlin until he was in the Coors car, and i thought that silver bullet car was at it's best with him in it! I know Marlin has said he's had a few owner's contact him, but unfortunately Ginn still owes him alot of money and if he takes another ride right now, in sense, he's forfeiting that money, so he's tryin to make sure Ginn pays up, which he should after the way he's done Marlin, and still see him in another competitive ride. I know Petty's car aremt up to par with other teams, but i think that's better equipment than what Ginn had for him. If Bobby does head to RCR, which i think could be a good fit, maybe they'd offer the 43 ride to Marlin. It'd be great to see two historical families tied to the sport to team up with the Petty's and the Marlin.
Hello , hope you can keep TB Jr world
going I will drop in some ..BUT I SEE HOW A LOT OF THESE PEOPLE ARE ..... and I would just love to see it
still going when he returns ...Thanks man

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#45 Jul 28, 2007
Hold up not here but all over ....say one thing
and mean another ! OF COURSE MY TYPING STINKS
But I have never tried it SO TO SOME I GUESS I
SEEM REALLY STUPID....YES I CARRY MY SIGN..LOL
NY sterling fan

New York, NY

#46 Jul 28, 2007
Sterling really needs to be given a ride. He almost finished in the top ten at Daytona 500, could have had one at Las Vegas, the Daytona night race, and Talledega. He may be old, but he still has what it takes to win races, he just needs the right ride. I was outraged to learn that he was fired from Ginn and I hope Sterling gets a ride by the end of the year, or in the next couple of weeks??????
Greg from Philly

Philadelphia, PA

#47 Jul 28, 2007
Every week it seems like there is less reason to follow NASCAR. And if Marlin doesn't land somewhere I am going to find it very hard to shell out the hundreds of bucks it takes to make it to a few races each year. He defines the sport in my eyes. He is a true racer, a WINSTON CUP racer! Not one of these silver-spoon boys with no character. I always knew there would come a day when Marlin wouldn't be in the field. It should have been his decision, though. Sterling, you deserve far more respect than what you've received. You are why NASCAR is. Thank you, sir.
joe boots

United States

#48 Jul 29, 2007
The last of the gool ol boys has finally happened. Bobby Ginn is a rich dirtbag who dont care about nothing but his tax writeoff!No Marlin and Nascar blows....bottom line!
michael

AOL

#49 Jul 29, 2007
Ihave follwed Sterling his entire career. Give him a decent ride and a pit crew that won't lose him positions and I think he becomesa winner again.

“JRW 88 Fan 4 Life!!”

EARNHARDTVILLE

#50 Jul 29, 2007
joe boots wrote:
The last of the gool ol boys has finally happened. Bobby Ginn is a rich dirtbag who dont care about nothing but his tax writeoff!No Marlin and Nascar blows....bottom line!
Well they still have a little Ricky Rudd BLESS THEIR
HEARTS WE STILL LOVE YOU REAL MEN !!! STERLING YOU ARE
AND ALWAYS WILL B/1 OF A KIND !!! WE LOVE YOU IN MD. 2
Have a great day.
Alec Neville

Shallotte, NC

#51 Jul 29, 2007
Ginn racing is retarted! what are they thinking??? Who the hell are they gonna get any better! i respect Sterling and Joe, Ginn Racing you suck. Sterling dosent deserve to go out like this he has raced to long!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Mar '16 Day Day The Hytrolic 40
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
News Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
News Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
News Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
News CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web