Marlin expected to be in Ganassi's No. 40 for Coca-Cola 600

May 17, 2008 Full story: Scene Daily 16

Sterling Marlin is expected to replace Dario Franchitti in next weekend's Coca-Cola 600. via Scene Daily

Full Story
Jason in Fairfield Ca

Benicia, CA

#1 May 19, 2008
GO STERLING GO, BACK IN THE #40 DODGE!!! NOW PAINT IT WITH COORS LIGHT AND LEAVE STERLING IN IT. I don' ask for much.
Sponsored by No One

Anchorage, AK

#2 May 19, 2008
The entry list for the 600 shows Sterling back in the 40 car, but it's sponsored by Wii Fit. Now, if they could just give him a driver cooling system that works so he doesn't end up parboiled like at Darlington....

48 cars are going to qualify, so he's got his work cut out for him just to get in the race. They're not in the top 35.

When they tested at Lowe's a couple weeks ago in the 40 Sterling's best time was only 38th fastest, and that might mean trouble at qualifying this week. I have no idea if the crew for the 40 car is sharing information with the other Ganassi cars. It might not matter, since none of Ganassi's drivers did well at Lowe's. The only bright spot is that some of the non-top 35 cars that are entered this week did much worse than Sterling's car at the testing sessions. I learned not to get my hopes up, but I'll get them up anyway!
Jeff in Iraq

Columbus, OH

#3 May 20, 2008
I agree with Jason. Ganassi should have been kicking himself in the butt ever since he let Sterling go, to get another one of these young cookie cutter driver's into his car. Sterling put that race team on the map and they gave him the boot just because he was "getting old". Show them you can still drive the wheel's off that car Sterling.
Bill

Hillsboro, OH

#4 May 20, 2008
My Sundays suck without Sterling in them.
I would give my left nut for Sterling to win and tell them where to get off.
Sponsored by No One

Anchorage, AK

#5 May 20, 2008
When it comes to Nascar, Ganassi isn't much better than Ginn was. All you have to do is look at what's gone on this year with flip-flopping the crew chiefs and stuff like that. There have only been a few drivers in the entire history of Nascar who have been able to convert from open-wheel to stock cars, and Ganassi is basically trying to fit square pegs in round holes with guys like Montoya, Franchitti and some of their developmental drivers.

They say Mayfield will drive the car after Sterling drives this race (probably just one race until Franchitti gets back), so I'm hoping Sterling will be back in the 09 car soon, even though that's a shoestring operation. For a guy who said he's looking to retire after running part time, Sterling is having a hard time leaving the top level of stock car racing behind. It's really a shame that a team like Gibbs or one of the others can't fit him in part time, because I really think Ganassi's operation is not a good fit for him.

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco, CA

#6 May 21, 2008
Sterling's like a fish out of water ... get it? Marlin...fish...LOL. Come on, that was funny! But Sterling is not nearly as marketable as the likes of Montoya or Franchitti. That has little to do with his ability, just the business side of NASCAR - what a cruel, cruel world huh?
Bill

Hillsboro, OH

#7 May 21, 2008
Cruel?...I have been a loyal Pirates fan for 35 years...now that is cruel.
What Gannassi and Ginn have done to Sterling is beyond cruel. To put a cookie cutter driver in the seat to sell beer or whatever you may be peddling isn't what racing was founded on. Hard nosed driving, now thats what it is all about.
NASCAR has become comparable to Pro Wrestling... I guess that ain't bad if you like to watch fat guys rolling around in their underwear.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#8 May 21, 2008
Sponsored by No One wrote:
When it comes to Nascar, Ganassi isn't much better than Ginn was. All you have to do is look at what's gone on this year with flip-flopping the crew chiefs and stuff like that. There have only been a few drivers in the entire history of Nascar who have been able to convert from open-wheel to stock cars, and Ganassi is basically trying to fit square pegs in round holes with guys like Montoya, Franchitti and some of their developmental drivers.
They say Mayfield will drive the car after Sterling drives this race (probably just one race until Franchitti gets back), so I'm hoping Sterling will be back in the 09 car soon, even though that's a shoestring operation. For a guy who said he's looking to retire after running part time, Sterling is having a hard time leaving the top level of stock car racing behind. It's really a shame that a team like Gibbs or one of the others can't fit him in part time, because I really think Ganassi's operation is not a good fit for him.
GOOD LUCK MARLIN DRIVING THE 40 CAR. I sure hope CHIP don't change crew chiefs
on you during the race.....lol
Bill

Hillsboro, OH

#9 May 21, 2008
A top ten would make my season.
Sponsored by No One

Anchorage, AK

#10 May 21, 2008
Hey, Bill, the last professional baseball game I ever attended was at Three Rivers Stadium, Pirates versus someone (no idea who). But between innings they played a recording of the radio announcer's call of Roberto Clemente's last hit. I don't know if I've ever had a more chilling moment at sporting event.
There's a beauty to a competitor who plays with dignity and can look back on a career and say they always tried to play fair and hard. Clemente's the greatest player I ever saw. Sterling's not the greatest driver, but there have been few who surpassed the decency of the man as a competitor. You won't find many drivers who would ever say anything negative about him.
A top ten, not much to ask, but even if he never gets that again I'll remember his first 500 win (his first win of any kind, ever!) and know that nothing will ever diminish that for me.
Marty

Saint Robert, MO

#11 May 22, 2008
Here's hoping Sterling kicks ass this weekend! I met Sterling at the KC race where he broke his neck. What a season he was having! Good luck!
Bill

Delaware, OH

#12 May 23, 2008
Clemente was the greatest ever. I was born in 65 so don't remember much of his career. I did write my first book report as a child about him.

GO STERLING GO!!!!!
Nope

Sterling, IL

#13 May 25, 2008
Yeah he's kicking major ass out there, NOT!
Sponsored by No One

Anchorage, AK

#14 May 26, 2008
I'd say that's the last time you'll ever see him in a Ganassi car. Ganassi's operation is a total mess, putting poorly prepared cars on the track and playing musical chairs with the crew chiefs.

If Sterling even bothers to drive the 09 car any races the rest of the season, it'll only be for the paycheck. I doubt he's ever going to get another shot at driving a car for a quality team. I'm as big a fan of his as you'll ever find, but I've finally admitted to myself that he's hanging around for no good reason. I wish I had some other reason to watch Nascar, but I don't. The days of it being a fun thing to watch are over for me, and I'm just glad I was a fan when it was fun.
rock

Ringgold, GA

#15 Mar 27, 2009
lets kick ass in the 40 car
old school

United States

#16 Jun 15, 2009
as a young boy i watched coo coo marlin race at nashville speedway, and i was hooked. i have been a marlin fan since 1972. i, like some of you guys, dont care what he drives, as long as he races. i believe sterling can still win. but he has to get a little coo coo, and sterling if your watching you know what i mean.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Feb '14 Alfred Tull 39
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web