Silly Season is open

Silly Season is open

There are 122 comments on the FloridaToday story from Jul 19, 2007, titled Silly Season is open. In it, FloridaToday reports that:

NASCAR fans can be excused if they are feeling a bit like comedian Lou Costello, of the famed duo of Abbott and Costello, when it comes to who will be driving where next season and who will be sponsoring what ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at FloridaToday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#2 Jul 20, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
Ive made predictions myself for already established guys, but here's some that will be the new faces of Nascar's future and driver's they could replace:
Gibb's #18 Car=Yeley's out and either Brad Coleman or Joey Logano will replace him.
RYR's #88(or future#28)Car=Rudd will retire and Stephen Leicht and Citifinancial will go there.
DEI/Ginn #? car= Paul Menard and daddy's money will be gone and Army will step up, Aric will replace Mark Martin full time, and Regan Smith will be out of a job.
Roush #6 car= David Ragan will be knocked out of that ride, Erik Darnell will get it and when Roush has to be down to 4 cars by 2010, Biffle will be the odd man out.
Wood's #21 car= Bill will eventually retire and Jon Wood will finally attempt to step up to plate and although he's a really talented guy and could do amazing things if he was in the #6 Roush car, he'll struggle with the 21 car's equipment.
RWI(Rusty Wallace Inc)= Stephen Wallace and RWI will eventually move up to Cup, no time soon, but will probably run Rusty's championship #,#27 car.
Penske #12 car= Sam Hornish Jr will move to Cup starting in 08, hearing new third team, but i think Ryan Newman willing leaves for greener pastures and granted by Penske to guarantee Hornish a spot with 12 being in top 35 owner pts.
Ganassi #40 or #41 car= Dan Wheldon has shown interest in Nascar and if Sorenson, like Newman, chooses to leave, i think Ganassi would grant it and slide Wheldon in the Target car, especially with Wheldon's ties with Target as is. If Sorenson wanted to stay, either Sorenson would be moved to Coor's ride and like said before bout Wheldon and Target, or just move Wheldon to Coor's car, either way Stremme out of a ride.
RCR's 4th team(probably #33)= probably wants a veteran but if he was goin with a development driver, he has two, Tim McCreadle and Timothy Peters and Peters is not on good terms with Childress right now, so it'd probably be McCredle.
DEI #8 car= If DEI keeps 8 number and wants to keep it tradition, and if they could find a sponsor to go along, they could slide Kerry in it until Jeffery Earnhardt is ready for Cup and he could,in theory, bring the 8 car fame Jr has done.
HOF Racing 96 car= Raines is runnin on borrowed time and if some how, if Coleman and Logano was ready for Cup at the same time, and Gibbs only had one car and sponsor,#18 car, since HOF is tied with Gibbs, could be a destination of one, my money being on Coleman. Also, if Amirola doesnt work out for DEI and/or Ginn, with ties to Gibbs, could also put him here.
As far as other's, such as Evernham, there's no tellin who he might put in Riggs ride, for i think he also is runnin on borrowed time and the way Sadler is running there, he could be there a short time too. Sabastian Bordeius from Champ car has said he's interested in Nascar, and i think, unfortunately, the money will catch the interest of Danica Patrick and someone will take a chance on her in Nascar, because of her marketability. There's also all the Toyota rides out there, and i think Blaney, Reutimann, Allmendeinger, and Mayfield will be fired and Waltrip and Jarrett will be retiring much sooner than they had hoped to, thus leaving alot of rides open.
WOW,YOU REALLY have some strong points and alot to think about here!Hmmmmmmm,yeah really,what the heck is going to happen in 2008 i wonder?

“YNWA”

Since: Jun 07

Greenwood, IN.

#3 Jul 23, 2007
I don't think you have the Ganassi rides figured out. Wheldon will not be moving to NASCAR. There is a chance of 4 cars for Ganassi with the current 3 plus Ryan Newman. If he sticks with 3 cars then there will only be a change if Stremme or Sorenson chose to move on. Don't forget Bryan Clauson for '09. He will be running 6 Busch races this season and a full season next year. One for the future. Lets hope the team has sorted itself out by then to give this very talented young kid a chance in the bigtime
19Paige19

United States

#4 Jul 23, 2007
I think Elliott's in the #19 for the next several years and isn't going anywhere.

I also think Scott will stay right where he is if the team's performance improves. Ray wants to keep Scott.
Junebug

Pittsboro, IN

#5 Jul 23, 2007
Sorenson will be leaving and taking Jrs' brotherinlaw with him......to Penske

“what the”

New Bedford, MA

#6 Jul 23, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
Ive made predictions myself for already established guys, but here's some that will be the new faces of Nascar's future and driver's they could replace:
Now THAT is a fan! Lots of good stuff there. It will be interesting to see how it all plays-out.
DATSYUK FAN

Flint, MI

#10 Jul 24, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
Gibb's #18 Car=Yeley's out and either Brad Coleman or Joey Logano will replace him.
RYR's #88(or future#28)Car=Rudd will retire and Stephen Leicht and Citifinancial will go there.
DEI/Ginn #? car= Paul Menard and daddy's money will be gone and Army will step up, Aric will replace Mark Martin full time, and Regan Smith will be out of a job.
Roush #6 car= David Ragan will be knocked out of that ride, Erik Darnell will get it and when Roush has to be down to 4 cars by 2010, Biffle will be the odd man out.
Wood's #21 car= Bill will eventually retire and Jon Wood will finally attempt to step up to plate and although he's a really talented guy and could do amazing things if he was in the #6 Roush car, he'll struggle with the 21 car's equipment.
RWI(Rusty Wallace Inc)= Stephen Wallace and RWI will eventually move up to Cup, no time soon, but will probably run Rusty's championship #,#27 car.
Penske #12 car= Sam Hornish Jr will move to Cup starting in 08, hearing new third team, but i think Ryan Newman willing leaves for greener pastures and granted by Penske to guarantee Hornish a spot with 12 being in top 35 owner pts.
Ganassi #40 or #41 car= Dan Wheldon has shown interest in Nascar and if Sorenson, like Newman, chooses to leave, i think Ganassi would grant it and slide Wheldon in the Target car, especially with Wheldon's ties with Target as is. If Sorenson wanted to stay, either Sorenson would be moved to Coor's ride and like said before bout Wheldon and Target, or just move Wheldon to Coor's car, either way Stremme out of a ride.
RCR's 4th team(probably #33)= probably wants a veteran but if he was goin with a development driver, he has two, Tim McCreadle and Timothy Peters and Peters is not on good terms with Childress right now, so it'd probably be McCredle.
DEI #8 car= If DEI keeps 8 number and wants to keep it tradition, and if they could find a sponsor to go along, they could slide Kerry in it until Jeffery Earnhardt is ready for Cup and he could,in theory, bring the 8 car fame Jr has done.
HOF Racing 96 car= Raines is runnin on borrowed time and if some how, if Coleman and Logano was ready for Cup at the same time, and Gibbs only had one car and sponsor,#18 car, since HOF is tied with Gibbs, could be a destination of one, my money being on Coleman. Also, if Amirola doesnt work out for DEI and/or Ginn, with ties to Gibbs, could also put him here.
As far as other's, such as Evernham, there's no tellin who he might put in Riggs ride, for i think he also is runnin on borrowed time and the way Sadler is running there, he could be there a short time too. Sabastian Bordeius from Champ car has said he's interested in Nascar, and i think, unfortunately, the money will catch the interest of Danica Patrick and someone will take a chance on her in Nascar, because of her marketability. There's also all the Toyota rides out there, and i think Blaney, Reutimann, Allmendeinger, and Mayfield will be fired and Waltrip and Jarrett will be retiring much sooner than they had hoped to, thus leaving alot of rides open.
good siily seaion report but kreg kiser will be in 13 car next year
DATSYUK FAN

Flint, MI

#11 Jul 24, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
i am hearing that ryr wants kurt and kyle

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#12 Jul 24, 2007
DATSYUK FAN wrote:
<quoted text>good siily seaion report but kreg kiser will be in 13 car next year
Not next year, that team is history. Owner points going to the DEI 15 car and the team is out of business. So is Ginn Racing.

“YNWA”

Greenwood, IN.

#14 Jul 25, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, i know Ganassi still in play for Kyle Busch and he's already said he will not be expanding, especially if he gets Busch, so that means somebody will be out of a ride, i think Stremme would be the one out, he'll be fired, he wont choose to leave cause nobody would pick him up. He would stay though if Sorenson choose to leave, and i could see that, i think he's very talented, he just doesnt have the equipment to show it. As far as Dan Wheldon, i never once heard anyone predict that Juan Pablo would be heading to Nascar, well, i never heard anyone say anything. I know Wheldon is considering it, even if Ganassi doesnt want to move him, if he really want to, somebody in Nextel would hire him.
Kyle Busch may go to ganasi that is true. Dan is definately not moving over though. You say no-one saw the Montoya thing coming...well that depends who you are. I knew about it before it happened. It was certainly a shock to most people though. As far as Stremme vs Sorensen that would be a tough one. Both have had good runs when their equipment has permitted. Look at Stremme at the 500. I think either one would be contaesting for wins more regularly at one of the top 3/4 teams.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

yes we can*health reform**

#16 Jul 25, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Not next year, that team is history. Owner points going to the DEI 15 car and the team is out of business. So is Ginn Racing.
hi ..love your avitar .flames would love it to i will miss him very much but he will always live on in our hearts an minds ..i pray our 24 gets the drive for five this year for our man flames..

“Made in Canada.”

Ontario

#17 Jul 25, 2007
Kyle's narrowed it down to 3 teams now: DEI, EMS, and Ganassi. He wants to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Budweiser says that Kasey still remains their top choice and Ray has been in talks with them.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#18 Jul 25, 2007
anderson 24 wrote:
<quoted text>hi ..love your avitar .flames would love it to i will miss him very much but he will always live on in our hearts an minds ..i pray our 24 gets the drive for five this year for our man flames..
Well Hello Stranger! How in the world have you been doing? Been missing you around here. We lost our best buddy and it has been tough, I have to admit. The last time I talk to Flames and he was aware of what was going on, he asked about you. He worried about you. Yeah, I hope Jeff can hang tough and get this one. I'd sure like to dedicate it to Flames in my mind.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

#19 Jul 30, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Well Hello Stranger! How in the world have you been doing? Been missing you around here. We lost our best buddy and it has been tough, I have to admit. The last time I talk to Flames and he was aware of what was going on, he asked about you. He worried about you. Yeah, I hope Jeff can hang tough and get this one. I'd sure like to dedicate it to Flames in my mind.
im fine yes our 24 is doing great this year an i want the fith championship for flames ..i know you miss him a lot i do to..

Since: Jan 07

Morganton NC

#20 Jul 30, 2007
anderson 24 wrote:
<quoted text>im fine yes our 24 is doing great this year an i want the fith championship for flames ..i know you miss him a lot i do to..
Hi Anderson glad to hear you are alright. Jeff will win the championship this year and we can all dedicate it to flames.
JR-SR FAN

Raleigh, NC

#21 Jul 30, 2007
anderson 24 wrote:
<quoted text>im fine yes our 24 is doing great this year an i want the fith championship for flames ..i know you miss him a lot i do to..
Have you started back on your house yet? How is Granny and what is she up to these days?

“what the”

New Bedford, MA

#22 Jul 30, 2007
Nannie wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Anderson glad to hear you are alright. Jeff will win the championship this year and we can all dedicate it to flames.
maybe someone who was close to "watch the flams" should write a letter asking Jeff Gordon to think of him as he pursues his quest for the cup.

“what the”

New Bedford, MA

#23 Jul 30, 2007
sorry for the sp error
NY sterling fan

New York, NY

#24 Jul 30, 2007
Jr Burton Fan wrote:
I will throw something else out there that i just got to thinking about, and that's Sterlin Marlin. Ive heard him rumored to Morgan McClure and Front Row Racing as a limited schedule driver for a second team to both organizations, but i got to thinkin of another one which i would love to see, Petty Enterprises. I know that Kyle got out for a lil this year, and i think he really enjoyed it. I know before Bobby Labonte was rumored for the 43 car, there were rumors saying that with Sterlin was being considered for that ride and one reason, not the only one, was that Coo Coo, Sterlin's dad, and Richard Petty were great fans from their racing days, and that could help marry the two together. I could see Kyle Petty running a part time deal in the 45 next year, and splitting it with Sterlin Marlin, i'd love to see Marlin driving for the Petty's. If not Sterlin, maybe Ward Burton could end up there. I dont know if Kyle is ready to completely get out of that ride, but i think he enjoyed getting out for a few weeks. Also, i could see Ricky Rudd come over there to help them out next year. Petty doesnt really have any young drivers they're mentoring so i dont see any young guys in that ride.
I hope sterling goes to a better team than any team he has been said to go to, If he gets good car,(not from thoes teams) he will still be good.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#25 Jul 30, 2007
NY sterling fan wrote:
<quoted text> I hope sterling goes to a better team than any team he has been said to go to, If he gets good car,(not from thoes teams) he will still be good.
Face it, Sterling almost fifty years old and like a lot of us passed his prime. He hasn't been performing for the last few years. His chances to pickup another full time ride are slim. His chances to pickup a full time competitive ride are non-existent. If he gets smart he'll retire. If he still wants to race in anything competitive he'll probably have to go back to Busch or more like the truck series.

anderson 24

“Obama Express”

#26 Aug 1, 2007
Nannie wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Anderson glad to hear you are alright. Jeff will win the championship this year and we can all dedicate it to flames.
right ..it will be decatied to flames how ya doing nanny i sure wish kaseys luck would change..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sterling Marlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sterling Marlin Retire! (Mar '09) Mar '16 Day Day The Hytrolic 40
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '13 ginni withers 5
News Fire destroys garage of ex-NASCAR driver Sterli... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Whoyakidding 1
News Southern Superstars will try again at Huntsvill... (Jul '12) Oct '12 Happy 2
DVD's (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sandy 1
News Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
News CUP: Track Debate Has Nashville in Uproar (Dec '10) Dec '10 Anonymous 1
More from around the web