Power source: Ignition system created...

Power source: Ignition system created in EP is No. 1 for racing pros

There are 13 comments on the El Paso Times story from Aug 7, 2010, titled Power source: Ignition system created in EP is No. 1 for racing pros. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Former NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon gets his power from El Paso. So do fellow champions Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Since: May 10

Denver, CO

#1 Aug 8, 2010
My brother works at MSD in El Paso as a technician,he is very proud of the work he does,when I come visit he drives me around the east side and shows me his work place.Happy 40 years MSD and your continued success be for many more years to come!!! Viva EL Paso!
vato loco

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Aug 8, 2010
My brother works there too and he likes going to the OP, he is a raving flammer.
EL PASO MAN

El Paso, TX

#3 Aug 9, 2010
Thats really cool! I have a beefed up Burban and replaced my engine, time to upgrade.

GO LOCAL!!

Support local business. I am!

Since: May 10

Denver, CO

#6 Aug 9, 2010
vATO Loco wrote:
My cousin sucked VATO Loco's weener. And Lopezin Denver filmed us doing it.
All the while, to the sound of an engine upgraded with MSD.
VROOOM, VROOOM. Oh yeah....oh yeah......ooooooh, oh, oooooh, yes, yes, YESSSSS!!!
SQUIRT!
Are you stoned,or are you just plain STUPID !!!
Betty

El Paso, TX

#7 Aug 9, 2010
I love these types of stories about local El Paso businesses.
ppp

El Paso, TX

#8 Aug 9, 2010
I guess the Times being 40 years late on recognizing the preeminent ignition R&D company in the world is OK. Just glad the Times is not a doctor.
JOHN QUINN

AOL

#9 Aug 10, 2010
JACK PREIGEL AND ME WHERE THE FIRST TWO TO START THE COMPANY. WE BOTH WORKED AT WHITE SANDS NM. JACK STARTED BY
DEVELOPING AIR MEASURING EQUIPMENT.
Worked there too

El Paso, TX

#10 Aug 10, 2010
I worked there for years. MSD had potential under the Priegel's but they kept growth in check. I have some good memories but plenty of bad too. Too many were rewarded for longevity and not ability. Happens alot ot places I know.
Yeeeaaaaaa

El Paso, TX

#11 Aug 10, 2010
lopezindenver wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stoned,or are you just plain STUPID !!!
He's just a troll
no surprise

United States

#12 Aug 10, 2010
Sad that the actually inventor of the multi-spark ignition system gets no credit. James Walter Merr4ick was the inventor of this system and was given no royalties or recognition by MSD. Even when he passed, MSD donated a measley $1000.00 towards his burial cost. Typical "big company" who "cares" about their employees. The man who gave them their signature product was thrown to the side while the company continues to reap the benefits. GREAT JOB MSD
fat bear

United States

#13 Aug 10, 2010
I HOPE THEY START MAKING THE PRODUCTS BACK HERE IN THE STATES BECAUSE CHINA IS NOT DOING THE QUALITY I AM USED TO.
Anonymous

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Aug 10, 2010
I wrote and produced the very first TV commercial for the Multiple-Spark Discharge (MSD) ignition system back in the mid-1970s. A Congregationalist Minister from Roswell who was a member of the Screen Actors Guild was the pitchman. We taped the spot at Brentwood and Mesa on the West side at a closed Gulf station where a Jack-in-the-Box now stands.

The commercial began with a medium shot of a gas pump, moved in to the price-per-gallon indicator set at 55.9 cents per gallon while the announcer pointed out that "the price of gasoline is going up (price changes to 57.9) and up (price changes to 59.9) and up (price changes to 61.9)!" It was an effective spot and sold a lot of those early units.
98_PontiacGAGT

Lock Haven, PA

#15 Sep 5, 2010
This is a great phony article! About a year ago i emailed msd support and all they want me to do is buy new products! I can't afford new products. I wanted to know how to properly wire up my Gm high performance ignition box into my 1998 pontiac grand am gt and was told my points ignition system wouldn't allow the gm high performance box to work properly. And that it would burn up my computer?? Didn't factory points ignition systems go out when Gilligan's Island premeared? Like 1975? My car was gm built in 1998? HUH? WHAT? Msd helpful? Nope! I gave up and sold the box for less than half of what i paid my gm dealer for it. Sucks! then i stumble across internet forums about having the box upgraded by msd to run in a points ignition type of distributor sytem? What the heck? man i just dont know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Newman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 6.0-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Northern Chile (Apr '15) Apr '15 mike tirico 2
News Is NASCAR entering fight era? Intensity plus ag... (Feb '15) Feb '15 MrTinkerTrain24 1
News Top 20 moments of 2014, #4: NASCAR's new Chase ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 WelbyMD 1
News Fantasy NASCAR at Richmond 2014: Picks, Top Dri... (Sep '14) Sep '14 john 1
News Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 tell me someone 7
News Reaction of Stewart-Haas Racing on NASCAR ruling (Sep '13) Sep '13 Manic 2 41
News Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelly 2
More from around the web