NASCAR looks at new rear spoiler for Cup cars

Full story: Fox Sports

Lee Spencer is senior NASCAR writer for FOXSports.com. She also is a correspondent for "Around the Track" on FOX Sports Net.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
PhilCat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

Simply deploy a chute out the front.
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

they are looking at a new rear spoiler for Joooonnnyyyrrrr's car to give him an edge so he actually wins something. NA$CRAP is a lot like the clown in the Whitehouse, the more they try to govern (dictate) the more screwed up everything gets. Hey idiots, let the market drive the changes.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2010

acrim wrote:
they are looking at a new rear spoiler for Joooonnnyyyrrrr's car to give him an edge so he actually wins something. NA$CRAP is a lot like the clown in the Whitehouse, the more they try to govern (dictate) the more screwed up everything gets. Hey idiots, let the market drive the changes.
Hey Idiot, the market is driving the change. The market is in the sh*tter and they're trying to suit the fans and the drivers by making the change back to a spoiler. Hinging the wing so that it would flip up and lose the downforce wouldn't be too much engineering but it wouldn't make the fans any happier.
Nicki

Hazlet, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

I think the change back to the spoiler is a good move, as long as it allows the "driveability" to come back to the car and in the "seat of the pants" of the driver. As it has been with the current COT, the driver has been just hangin on and trying to just keep the car from skiding out of control. I think the advancement to fuel injection is a well past overdue step, after all , part of "stock car" racing is to be driving cars that are similar to "factory stock" and fuel injection has been around as OE for MANY years now. As for the means to provide a "restriction" on the Super Speedways, I have thought for years that Nascar could mandate , as they do on other situations, that at Daytona and Talledega to have a mandated engine/ compression ratio max. To lower the max compression ratio would lower the horsepower therefore lower the speed without compromosing throttle response. Therefore alowing there to be "racing" and not just following the crowd and air...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

acrim wrote:
Well I guess Jr is the only one getting the change according to you. You never mentioned the other drivers.
acrim

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2010

Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Idiot, the market is driving the change. The market is in the sh*tter and they're trying to suit the fans and the drivers by making the change back to a spoiler. Hinging the wing so that it would flip up and lose the downforce wouldn't be too much engineering but it wouldn't make the fans any happier.
You answered your own remark, dunce. There wouldn't be a comical spoiler in the first place had they let the market rule. Read a book, ya dunce. Man, what an idiot.
Mary

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

NASCAR coming up with a brilliant idea!? Bet it gets rejected!...
PhilCat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2010

Yea, I'd want more down force for more stable control, but then they won't crash even with restricters.

“DONT TREAD ON ME!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2010

PhilCat wrote:
Yea, I'd want more down force for more stable control, but then they won't crash even with restricters.
Are you serious?
PhilCat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Keith S wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious?
If your on the edge of traction now, slowing them down and adding more down force, guess what?
They won't be flying off the track, LIKE they are NOW.

Do you have any iDea how much down force there is at 150mph with a wing on the rear. Start with F1 for an example. I'll give Ya a 1000lb leeway.

“DONT TREAD ON ME!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

PhilCat wrote:
<quoted text>If your on the edge of traction now, slowing them down and adding more down force, guess what?
They won't be flying off the track, LIKE they are NOW.
Do you have any iDea how much down force there is at 150mph with a wing on the rear. Start with F1 for an example. I'll give Ya a 1000lb leeway.
So lets make NASCAR so all the cars race like F1.That would put NASCAR in its grave. You could not pay me to go to a open wheel race.The cars being on the edge is what racing should be all about. You push your machine to the breaking point,not ride around knowing you have unlimited grip.
PhilCat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Keith S wrote:
<quoted text>That would put NASCAR in its grave. You could not pay me to go to a open wheel race.The cars being on the edge is what racing should be all about.
Well, you have to share more than two words other than 'serious' to know which way your going.
On the other hand, they have been slowing Nascar down over the last 20 yrs.
F1's not on the edge? You can't be serious.
Then again, I went to the Iowa Speedway Nascar event last fall.
It's a freekin joke.
I paid for up front seats, and you have less space that won't fit a 3 yr old.
I had to give up my seat because of small backpack for camera was not possible to set it down.
Here's the sample I made- http://www.youtube.com/user/Philscbx...
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

NASCAR has two reasons for getting rid of the wing and going back to the spoiler.

First and most important is that the current configuration of the car is dangerous to the fans on the big tracks. Baby Brian France and his stupid group of so advisors really had their head up their collective a@@es when they developed the (rice rocket) like wing on the back of the current car, did any of this group of collective idiots ever think about doing wind tunnel testing about the lift factor when a car went backwards at speed?
I believe that IF NASCAR allows even one more super speedway race to be run with the current wings on the cars, the insurance carrier should refuse to cover the event.

Second reason is that NASCAR's main promoted driver attraction just can not get the feel of driving the current car in the current configuration. They need to put the spoiler and anything else that will add aero to the car so that the less talented driver they have chosen to hook their corporate wagon to, will once again become a factor in the top 25, instead of constantly making his normal charge to the rear of the field or the wall after abusing and blowing a tire because he does not have the feel to drive this car.

NASCAR is in somewhat of an amusing corner, they have learned some basic pitfalls of placing too many eggs in one basket. They have also learned that it takes more than a name to make a good or great driver.
PhilCat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Voice of Reality wrote:
NASCAR has two reasons for getting rid of the wing and going back to the spoiler.

First and most important is that the current configuration of the car is dangerous to the fans on the big tracks.

did any of this group of collective idiots ever think about doing wind tunnel testing about the lift factor when a car went backwards at speed?
Absolute, going backwards is a huge deflection of air creating perfect negative airpressure over the top of the car.

It's basically a fat chunk of 737 wing cut off on wheels with windows, and it will fly.

I restored B25's, & on the field is Ballistic Parachute.
The space Shuttle throws a chute to slow down and keep it straight.
So give the fans a little something different.

The car hits the wall, & before it can get more than 90 degrees to the track, lePoof, chute opens, gets the car straight, driver gets to the grass, no one died. The race continues with barely a caution.

Other than that, Nascar is screwed, unless they pin the cars to grove in the track like we had as kids.

The hell with it then, race armored trucks.
Why does Europe get to race Semi's? Nascar style.
What do we have, Big Foot, Oh Boy.
Farm machinery on racing fuel.
Cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ryan Newman Discussions

Search the Ryan Newman Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 tell me someone 7
Reaction of Stewart-Haas Racing on NASCAR ruling (Sep '13) Sep '13 Manic 2 41
Bowyer denies intentional spinout at Richmond race (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kelly 2
Kurt Busch may be fourth car for SHR (Aug '13) Aug '13 snow 86
After strong qualifying effort in Brickyard 400... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Debrobeadean 1
Austin Dillon wins truck race at Eldora (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jusy_Sayn 2
Fantasy NASCAR Picks for Poconos 400 (Jun '13) Jun '13 RacingFan20 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••