NASCAR, ISC should be part of the solution

Full story: San Bernardino County Sun

Adieu Chase, we hardly got to know you. Vaya con Dios second date, we tried to make it work but couldn't overcome the obstacles.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
The Truth

Adelanto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

It isn't the economy that is killing the speedway, it is corporate greed.$35 is the cheapest ticket, and $250 per motorhome, plus $100 per person, is a ripoff, especially when the race is on television.

For these kind of prices, I could spend several days at a luxury resort, not at a failing racetrack in Fontana.
Lily B

Loris, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

California fans need some love here though, as many facts are left out of this equation. As a long-term Californian, who recently moved to the south and can see the difference between a well-run track and ACS, here's a few tidbits that need to be considered.

Gillian could stand to listen to the Cal fans more. Letters to the staff of Auto Club Speedway are answered by staffers who appear to be irritated at questions and let their rudeness speak for them. Simple requests are met with "You are the third person to have told me this. Did you not see the Cupcakes booth?" and other similar phrases that reek of 'duh, how did you miss this, stupid Nascar fan?? Run away and stop bothering me. When I meant we wanted to hear our fans opinions, that was just PR-talk for 'we care' but we really don't.'

Securitas at ACS are frequently seen yelling at fans and the check-in process is much more delayed (and personally intrusive) than any other track. No one wants to be yelled at, then felt-up, after having shelled out hundreds for seats and food. Customers are still customers, even at ACS.

ACS is one of the few tracks that does not allow guests to bring in any other beverage than water. When a beer costs $7, and most other tracks let you bring in your own, the cost of the day becomes a little more prohibitive. You also aren't trusted to purchase then carry a plastic bottle with a lid...unless it is AMP.(I kid you not.) Lids are taken away because you might throw it at the track...unless it is AMP, because you won't throw that lid? Mind-boggling.

Food options are hit and miss. Again, prices are cost-prohibitive in comparison to most other tracks.

Sponsor booths are waning. We used to be able to wander a long midway full of fun booths to check out, in addition to hauler row. Now there's more empty spaces than before, and forget it if your wanted to check out an alcohol sponsor's booth. They aren't allowed to serve now, that would get in the way of money going to ACS vendors.

Let's talk bathrooms. The lines are always the longest out of any track I've been to, and if you can get toilet paper, a working water faucet, a non-empty soap dispenser and paper towels in one visit, or even three out of the four, you are one in a million, or you're there hours before the race starts.

When the stands have been seen 'empty' during the race in past seasons, it's probably because a) the guests are in the bathroom lines, b) it's 118 and there's no shade other than under the stands, or c) the seats are still wet from the recent rains. ACS's races haven't always given Cal fans the best of weather.

And if you want to buy race merchandise on a day you didn't purchase a race ticket, good luck buying merchandise. You must have a ticket to get to the haulers, though there is sometimes an opportunity to get to hauler row on Thursday night. However, not all the haulers are there at that time, so you may just be out of luck. The reason? "Parking." Yeah, whatever.

California fans have tried, and been blasted for not being diehard and dedicated, but give California a track that's run better -- run with the fans in mind, not the bottom-dollar. Yes, they need to make money but without fans, well, you see what happens. California fans don't deserve the negative reputation they've gotten, but ACS also doesn't want the facts out there so the fans are again thrown under the bus.
Rufus T Firefly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Sunday's racing was some of the best we had seen in a while at the track, its a shame that ISC puts no effort into promoting this facility.
v421iv

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

In California it is inevitable that we would be in this situation. Nascar fans are generally white, California has more of a melting pot. and with the economy the way it is no one has the money to afford these events. I have been a founding member (since 1997) and enjoy it.
Agreed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

I agree with Lily B, the worst part is the security. I have been going to the races since the track opened. The security has been steadily worse and worse. I have seen a few fights which are bound to happen at any event with thousands of people but there have never been any big problems but the rules keep getting more and more strict. I understand some of the rules but some are just ridiculous. I used to be able to walk from the in field to the front with a drink in a red cup. Now nothing gets through. Why? No reason, they just want you to buy a beer in the front. Sad thing is that I used to buy beer in the front after my drink ran out. The last race I went to I didn't because we just stayed in the in field because it costs too much for beer in the front so by not allowing one drink through they lost out on all my money for the drinks plus all the stuff I would buy in the front. When companies institute rules that sound good in theory they neglect to think of all the consequences that may be affected by their decisions. I did not attend the races this year. I would rather watch the race at home than deal with their BS rules so now they don't make any money off of me. I used to bring a bunch of my friends with me too. Now none of them go all because of the rules. The staff at the speedway needs to watch undercover boss and realize they are the ones driving away the fans, not the economy.
Mac

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

In all fairness, it's hard to determine who is doing the ripping off. When a racetrack wants to hold a race, Nascar gives that track owner a price to hold the event there. Different venues cost more than others. So the ticket prices are somewhat reflective of the price Nascar charges the track owner.
The Truth

Adelanto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Mac, how much money did the speedway make by being only half full on Sunday?

If the tickets were $10, instead of $35, the place would have been packed. As an example, the LA County Fair charges $17 for a weekend admission, and it was 1/3 full when I went two weeks ago. But on opening day weekend, admission is only $1, and the place was packed, wall to wall, with families having a great time.

A lower admission also means more money to spend on food and drink, as long as it remains affordable. Honestly,$7 beers? That's ripping off the customers!

We're voting with our wallets, and we're voting to stay at home until this track returns to its roots - fans before profit.
snobs

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

Judged:

You california snobs need to get a life.
Kim

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

snobs wrote:
You california snobs need to get a life.
This coming from someone from the not so great state of Texas. Half your state are illegals.
Mac

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

The Truth wrote:
Mac, how much money did the speedway make by being only half full on Sunday?
If the tickets were $10, instead of $35, the place would have been packed. As an example, the LA County Fair charges $17 for a weekend admission, and it was 1/3 full when I went two weeks ago. But on opening day weekend, admission is only $1, and the place was packed, wall to wall, with families having a great time.
A lower admission also means more money to spend on food and drink, as long as it remains affordable. Honestly,$7 beers? That's ripping off the customers!
We're voting with our wallets, and we're voting to stay at home until this track returns to its roots - fans before profit.
I agree completely. But the track is required to pay Nascar several months in advance of a race and they have to guess how many seats they are going to sell. A large track like Fontana is going to be charged more money for holding a race than Martinsville, for example. The price of the beer is an example of the spit rolling down hill. The track gets charged a high figure from Nascar, so the beer vendor, hot dog vendor, etc. get charged a high price from the track. That's the only money the track can guarantee they will have early enough to post the fees to Nascar. Just so you know, beer isn't any cheaper at Talladega, Darlington, or Atlanta!
bdd

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2010

The Big O was killed by overpiced tickets and this venue will be killed by the same thing. Everything Penske does is overpriced.
WWE CRASHCAR 2010

Florham Park, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Give Southern Californians some credit here. They refuse be ripped off by the NFL and they won't be ripped off by an over price NASCAR bore fest. Apparently they have found better things to do on a nice Sunday afternoon then waste their time and money supporting a bunch of thieves.
Wang

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2010

Kim wrote:
<quoted text>This coming from someone from the not so great state of Texas. Half your state are illegals.
The same can be said fol Nolth Calorina.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2010

great column
GO TONY GO

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Chicagoland Speedway has not been very fan friendly. You can not bring any drinks but water in. They kept taking things away from the fans on where they could go this year you had to have a ticket to get into the area where the music was played. They just started a multi payment plan this year. But this may change Chicagoland just got a new president for the track now you will be able to bring in 6 cans. See what other changes will be made. My husband and son go to Michigan every year and said that track is very fan friendly.
martin fan

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

For California fans, just take a ride to Las Vegas. It's fan friendly...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rusty Wallace Discussions

Search the Rusty Wallace Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Nascar Notes: Rusty Wallace holds court (Feb '13) Feb '13 frank 1
NASCAR: Rusty Wallace coming back to Nationwide... (Jan '13) Feb '13 Hilton Head 6
NASCAR Hall of Fame welcomes 5 stock car racing... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ford Man 3
rare item im trying to price (Nov '12) Nov '12 twodog4 1
Rusty Wallace shuts down his NASCAR Nationwide ... (Jan '12) Jun '12 acrim 10
Wallace thinks it's time to shorten NASCAR season (May '12) May '12 acrim 3
Disappointing endorsement of LOANMAX (Nov '09) Dec '11 Tim 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••