NASCAR Notebook: Gordon back in court even though merger suit dismissed

Oct 3, 2008 Full story: 15

Robby Gordon is embroiled in another legal case, relating to the failed merger with Gillett-Evernham. Gordon and George Gillett had apparently agreed earlier this year for Gillett to buy Gordon's team.

Read more
jaypop

United States

#1 Oct 4, 2008
The history of Nascar is highlighted by great racers NOT great business owners (ie- Roush, Hendrick, Gibbs, Evernham). Nascar is not pure racing, it is pure business and OH by the way the most money wins the most races! Robby Gordon is a racer in the truest definition of the word, when he has to compete against big business with one car and limited resources but still stay in the top 35, you have to say that is good. You just have to admire the guy, all the Robby bashing I read must be from people who have never put a helmet on..

erbuss

Tiffin, OH

#2 Oct 4, 2008
jaypop wrote:
The history of Nascar is highlighted by great racers NOT great business owners (ie- Roush, Hendrick, Gibbs, Evernham). Nascar is not pure racing, it is pure business and OH by the way the most money wins the most races! Robby Gordon is a racer in the truest definition of the word, when he has to compete against big business with one car and limited resources but still stay in the top 35, you have to say that is good. You just have to admire the guy, all the Robby bashing I read must be from people who have never put a helmet on..
Amen Brother!!!

Since: Apr 07

Brentwood, CA

#3 Oct 5, 2008
jaypop wrote:
You seem to forget that Robby HAD a ride with a big name team to drive for once upon a time - HE LOST IT! Pure racer - perhaps, Jerk - ABSOLUTELY!
michala deleeuw

United States

#4 Oct 5, 2008
bussiness can buy! but aleast robbie gordon shows that not all people can;!!! HOORAY FOR THOOSE PEOPLE GO ROBBIE

United States

#5 Oct 6, 2008
michala deleeuw wrote:
bussiness can buy! but aleast robbie gordon shows that not all people can;!!! HOORAY FOR THOOSE PEOPLE GO ROBBIE
Here's a couple quotes from Felix Sabates about Robby Gordon...

"Robby Gordon has a tremendous amount of talent, but when he pulls the helmet over his head he knocks some sort of switch that makes him an idiot."

"I gave Robby [Gordon] an unlimited budget for Indy and he managed to exceed that."

Big business doesn't WANT Robby Gordon anymore!
erbuss

Tiffin, OH

#6 Oct 6, 2008
SpdBmp wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to forget that Robby HAD a ride with a big name team to drive for once upon a time - HE LOST IT! Pure racer - perhaps, Jerk - ABSOLUTELY!
Actually the fact is he didnt lose his ride He could have stayed at childress and drove the 07 but he had made the commitment to go on his own early in the season. Childress wanted him to stay and drive the 07. Maybe you should check your facts. Also Childress wasnt the at his best those years . How many races did harvick win. What about Earnhardt how many did he win the last few years. I am not a robby Gordon fan I am a childress fan but the guy has a oassion like very few drivers have today and if you are a true race fan you have to admire that.
erbuss

Tiffin, OH

#7 Oct 6, 2008
SpdBmp wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a couple quotes from Felix Sabates about Robby Gordon...
"Robby Gordon has a tremendous amount of talent, but when he pulls the helmet over his head he knocks some sort of switch that makes him an idiot."
"I gave Robby [Gordon] an unlimited budget for Indy and he managed to exceed that."
Big business doesn't WANT Robby Gordon anymore!
Your an Idiot!!! Thats what Nascar is all about. Big business. Why in gods name if you are a Nascar fan would you not root for the little guy
You have obviously never strapped on a helmet and raced anything . Why dont you do that then come back with you idiot opinions
sportfan

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Oct 6, 2008
jaypop wrote:
I think it is amazing that Robby Gordon has stayed in the top 35, he competes every week against multi-car teams with unlimited resources and so far has managed to keep it in the top 35(did all of last year).
It is really ashame that more NASCAR fans do not understand what an impressive feat this is.
Robby can drive anything, Indy cars, Off road vehicles, and was very impressive in a dirt late model at the PRELUDE TO A DREAM race at Eldora.
GIVE HIM EQUAL RESOUCES AND INFORMATION AND HE WILL BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE BIG BOYS.
I hope Robby is not the last of the true racers.
jaypop

United States

#9 Oct 6, 2008
Hurray sportfan, you get it...

This guy "SpdBmp" is just out to lunch, who cares what big business teams do or who they want or don't want. Robby Gordon wants to race for himself, by himself, on his own terms, that is a great thing for Nascar and the United States! It is the engine of economics, go Robby! Nascar is only about good racers and racing; RG is in that pack..

Discovery Bay, CA

#10 Oct 7, 2008
erbuss wrote:
<quoted text>Actually the fact is he didnt lose his ride He could have stayed at childress and drove the 07 but he had made the commitment to go on his own early in the season. Childress wanted him to stay and drive the 07. Maybe you should check your facts. Also Childress wasnt the at his best those years . How many races did harvick win. What about Earnhardt how many did he win the last few years. I am not a robby Gordon fan I am a childress fan but the guy has a oassion like very few drivers have today and if you are a true race fan you have to admire that.
Okay - let me clarify my position on Robby Gordon... HE ROCKS! He will drive the wheels off of ANYTHING (and I mean that in a good way) from the Baja 100, Dakar Rally, Indy 500, Daytona 500 and a bunch in between - I respect him for that! I also think that as a dying breed of owner driver - it would be a shame for him to give up the ghost as it were. I like everything Robby has ever done minus his NASCAR career. He DID have good equipment, but his attitude cost him the respect he needed to succeed (that's only my opinion). I assure you that I root for Robby when he is behind the wheel of anything other than a COT or a race involving more than 15 or so top name NASCAR drivers. Remember the dual burnouts? While I see Robby's point (in fact I am on his side on that one - PRE-BURNOUT), he got in a pissing match with NASCAR at a sanctioned event that had just recently crossed into the great north we know as Canada. What could he POSSIBLY expect to accomplish? His volatility is refreshing, comical even, but the fact that it is volatile at all is reason enough to try and keep him out of the draft - LOL. And Congratulations to the entire Jim Beam crew (Robby Gordon too!) on their top ten finish (8th).

I suppose my biggest disappointment came earlier this year I believe (when the Dakar Rally was delayed/postponed/re-routed) Robby was upset about the delay, as he stood to lose A LOT of money ($1,000,000.00 of sponsor money - most of which he had already spent). I understand his position, but what about the family that was brutally murdered - you know, the ones that caused such a political awareness in the region that they opted to relocate one of the most famous regional races on the planet? I felt Robby was much too self absorbed and insensitive, all because he had a scheduling conflict and had already cashed the check.

Much like my opinion of Tony Stewart, I like Robby Gordon "the driver", I just don't particularly care for Robby Gordon "the person".
JUST MY OPINION!

Discovery Bay, CA

#11 Oct 7, 2008
erbuss wrote:
<quoted text>Your an Idiot!!! Thats what Nascar is all about. Big business. Why in gods name if you are a Nascar fan would you not root for the little guy
You have obviously never strapped on a helmet and raced anything . Why dont you do that then come back with you idiot opinions
You just want to argue with me don't you? Okay, tag, you're it! Your turn.

Discovery Bay, CA

#12 Oct 7, 2008
jaypop wrote:
Hurray sportfan, you get it...
This guy "SpdBmp" is just out to lunch, who cares what big business teams do or who they want or don't want. Robby Gordon wants to race for himself, by himself, on his own terms, that is a great thing for Nascar and the United States! It is the engine of economics, go Robby! Nascar is only about good racers and racing; RG is in that pack..
So while Your "l'il guy" was talking merger with Gillett Evernham Motorsports - he was going to be by himself? Or what about when he talked to another team about merging - isn't that why he lost out on another shot at the big time at GEM? Struggling to stay in the top 35 is an embarrassment for somebody with Robby's talent - but he's likely to stay there at this point - pride can be a terrible thing.
erbuss

Tiffin, OH

#13 Oct 7, 2008
SpdBmp wrote:
<quoted text>
You just want to argue with me don't you? Okay, tag, you're it! Your turn.
No i dont want to argue with you and sorry for the Idiot comments was having a bad day. I just hate people hateing on him because he really is one of the last of the true racers. Yes he has made some idiot mistake in the past and has been a jerk but in all honesty how many of these racers arnt jerks. I will say this When he was with childress i meant him and he is the most fan freindly driver i have ever meant and i have meant a lot of them. But i do agree he has been his own worst enemy at times. But i still admire him and i still believe with top equipment he would be one of the top drivers

United States

#14 Oct 7, 2008
By now, I take it you've read what I think of Robby Gordon, so no big deal. He is a racer's driver - he drives hard, and sometimes beyond either his own ability, or beyond the ability of the car - either way, he's got some big Cajones!
sjafdlkfas

Denver, CO

#15 Oct 8, 2008
the big time at gem are you high or something? whats big about gem, what have they done at all. they won some races with kasey kane. why would anybody and i mean anybody want to merge with a dodge team right now they all suck. thats an absolute fact. Penske has done nothing since going to dodge, petty has done nothing since going to dodge,(there is no way that bobby labonte wouldn't be in the top 10 right now if he where with hendrick, Kane too for that matter)ganassi, has done nothing since going to dodge,(i don't like him but you have to admire montoya for hanging in the top 25 in that equipment)and gem has done nothing since going to dodge either.Kasey has been the lone bright spot for the manufacture period for the past 4 years, so if you where robbie why would you want to continue with a merger that has a very little chance of helping your performance at all? When he entered into this "agreement" with them at the begining of the year they where supposed to have a great new motor package but that didn't work out so i believe that is why he wanted out. Big time team with gem you say, how laughable is that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robby Gordon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Robby Gordon And Toyo Tires Win Final Stage Of ... Jan '15 Giovanni 1
Toyo Tires And Race-Dezert Team Up For The 2015... Dec '14 frank fernandez 1
Robby Gordon Brings His Stadium Super Trucks To... Dec '14 frank fernandez 1
News Harvick wins controversial Montreal Busch race (Aug '07) May '14 Douglas Kenney 46
News Danica Patrick, team expect to 'make a statemen... (Jul '13) Jul '13 danicrash 24
News Busch urges racing officials to make double doable (May '13) May '13 Snow 31
News Update on the latest in sports: (Nov '11) Nov '11 JustBevG 2
More from around the web