Dale Jr. doubles up with No. 88

Dale Jr. doubles up with No. 88

There are 136 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 19, 2007, titled Dale Jr. doubles up with No. 88. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Darrell Waltrip won 24 NASCAR races driving the No. 88 car. That was before his consecutive season championships in a car with a different number sponsored by Mountain Dew.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Terry

United States

#122 Sep 21, 2007
Southern Belle wrote:
Mindy, you need to re read what Patron Zero wrote. This person was not bringing hate to NASCAR but drawing attention to what the number 88 means to some people. I am sure you will think differently when the skinheads start cheering for good ole Dale Jr. Just because one does not like what is written does not mean there is not truth to the subject.
People can twist anything around to make something look bad. Jr took that number because it means something good to him . And he thought the fans would like it. Geeeezzzzzzz if some people found out what toilet paper he used ,they would want to kick his a$$ for killing trees. Give the guy a break.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#123 Sep 21, 2007
Terry wrote:
<quoted text> People can twist anything around to make something look bad. Jr took that number because it means something good to him . And he thought the fans would like it. Geeeezzzzzzz if some people found out what toilet paper he used ,they would want to kick his a$$ for killing trees. Give the guy a break.
Probably, lol. There are so many people on here lately attempting to stir up so many different issues, it's unreal. Glad you folks invited me over to the other place, lol.:)
Terry

United States

#124 Sep 21, 2007
Happy Little Girlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably, lol. There are so many people on here lately attempting to stir up so many different issues, it's unreal. Glad you folks invited me over to the other place, lol.:)
Have a wonderful day Darlin!
Junior Nation

United States

#125 Sep 21, 2007
Indy Fan in Georgia wrote:
NASCAR= racist hillbilly sport
NASCAR = boring
NASCAR= most ovearrated sport in history
NASCAR= wasted gasoline
NASCAR= waste of Sheet Metal
NASCAR= Fake Stock cars
NASCAR= BEST AND EXCITING SPORT AROUND!!

“Earnhardt Fans Rule”

Since: Sep 07

Florida

#126 Sep 21, 2007
Patron_Zero wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious you mention clothes, please read the stories at the links below concerning Target's policy of not stocking or selling merchandise with the number 88, guess the Dale Jr fans will be shopping somewhere else.
http://www.metafilter.com/19513/
http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_hate.js...
Maybe yoy should re read this article. There is no mention of Dale jr. in it at all. If they were selling football jerseys of professional teams with 88, do you really think that wthey would pull those too. The 88 on those caps and shirts were not synomous with anything.

Since: Jan 07

Carmel, IN

#127 Sep 21, 2007
The number 88 has been on cars for years why so different now????? JR's grandfather drove the 88 car. Several drivers have grow up.
not junior nation1321

Woodbridge, VA

#128 Sep 21, 2007
The swastika predates the Egyptian Ankh, and was used for over 3000 years to represent life, power, strength, and good luck, in many different cultures, including China, England, Greece and India. That said, what do you think will happen if you proudly display a swastika nowadays and claim you're NOT a racist? You'll be branded a Nazi and bad things will happen to you. I say that because symbols DO have power, even when they are corrupted. The people warning you about the 88 are correct. Now, I AM NOT SAYING DALE ( Jr. or Jarrett) IS A RACIST!! So don't jump on me. But, the meaning is there, and all of your attempts to unhear it will not make it so. So when you junebug robots get that "88" tatoo, don't act all surprised when you reap the consequences of having a Nazi symbol inked permamnently into your flesh....I'm just saying. Flame on.....

Since: Mar 07

Indiana

#129 Sep 21, 2007
BOUNTY HUNTER wrote:
<quoted text>
What wxactly is it that JR. has accomplished in Nascar besides being the most popular driver? First and foremost Mrs, Earnhardt did not just inherit DEI SHE HELPED BUILD IT!!!
secondly Dale Sr, did not leave the company too ANY OF HIS CHILDREN
What was jr thinking? he has not accomplished anything in the sport and too demand 51% of the company he has missed the chase (which was set up for him too win a championship twice the lone time he made it was because of a mysterious debris caution at the brickyard, that right folks he was 13 laps from missing that chase out comes the caution everyone one pitted but junior and mears restarted 2 finished 10th the debris was never shown and on the official scoring chart it reads TBD
to be determined check it out for yourselves he went from the big fish in a small pond too the small fish in a BIG POND do any of you JR fans really thhink he will get theequipment Gordon and JOHNSON get
he is by FAR THE MOST OVERATED DRIVER IN THE SPORT he has won 2 races in the last 99 starts Juan PABLO MONTOYA ALREADY HAS 1 THIS YEAR
JUNIOR IS TOAST
That is your opinion. He took it hard when his dad was killed. I think that he is just trying to rebuild his career. Granted, there has been some careless mistakes, but good grief! He will make a comeback!
katie

Atlanta, GA

#130 Sep 21, 2007
if it's been known for a long time that the "88" symbolizes Hilter and racism, why are we just now hearing about it. Dale Jarrett made that 88 known in the modern era of racing. I would have thought somebody would have picked up on that story when DJ was driving the 88.
Terry

United States

#131 Sep 21, 2007
The numbers 18,28 and 23 are were also used by Nazi's no one said Sh#t when Bobby Labonte was useing #18 or Yeley sitting in the car now. Like I said before you can try and twist anything into something evil if you try hard enough. Katie you brought up a good point with Dale Jarret driving the 88 car. Like not junior said he isn't painting a Swastika on his car. Hell why do you think Toyota doesn't paint a Japanese Flag on their cars with the flag of the rising sun. They know the backlash would be huge. F1 cars put their countrys flags on their cars. They won't do it here. If anyone wants to know about that toilet paper thing I heard Jr uses Charmin let er rip guy's.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#132 Sep 21, 2007
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>On a better note,how is the family? And i wanted to say that i still think about flames all the time and when Gordon wins,we will all have a party on the threads in His honor! Hope all is well my friend! Please tell the whole family that we are still always thinking of him!;-)
Hey Girl, we're okay. Mamaw is having a hard time with the grief and depression. But that is to be expected. 43 years together is a while and they were devoted to each other. I get by there as often as I can. He is the first thing I think of everytime I see Jeff's car. I have a photo of him when he got to sit in one of Jeff's show cars once in my office and I had him to sign it just like you would the driver. If Jeff wins this championship we're going to have a party that will last a couple of days in Flames honor.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#133 Sep 21, 2007
Terry wrote:
The numbers 18,28 and 23 are were also used by Nazi's no one said Sh#t when Bobby Labonte was useing #18 or Yeley sitting in the car now. Like I said before you can try and twist anything into something evil if you try hard enough. Katie you brought up a good point with Dale Jarret driving the 88 car. Like not junior said he isn't painting a Swastika on his car. Hell why do you think Toyota doesn't paint a Japanese Flag on their cars with the flag of the rising sun. They know the backlash would be huge. F1 cars put their countrys flags on their cars. They won't do it here. If anyone wants to know about that toilet paper thing I heard Jr uses Charmin let er rip guy's.
Hey Terry. Long time no talk. How are ya?

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#134 Sep 21, 2007
Terry wrote:
Hey Terry,weird how Junior brings out all kinda topics! Good Grief.Well i will admit something here and it is not something i put on the wall or anything.I have 2 Swastika's! They were handed down to me from a family member that was in the war,and they come with a story,and that story is too long for here but it is a story of forgiveness! I also have a Menorah and i hold that dear to my heart as it was given to me among many Jewish items,from a family i took care of(Hospice) The point i am trying to make is that of the reason and or reasons to bring up a number that could be any number,but it's not that number in the racing world! So if you have 88 in your SSI# that means your dammed? Please spare all of us the Door to door on Topix for one's view of a Hate number when in reality,it's only a number of a race car! The evil thoughts are in the person who thought of this and brought it here!

Sorry Terry,i wanted to explain here because you are my friend!;-)

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#135 Sep 21, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Girl, we're okay. Mamaw is having a hard time with the grief and depression. But that is to be expected. 43 years together is a while and they were devoted to each other. I get by there as often as I can. He is the first thing I think of everytime I see Jeff's car. I have a photo of him when he got to sit in one of Jeff's show cars once in my office and I had him to sign it just like you would the driver. If Jeff wins this championship we're going to have a party that will last a couple of days in Flames honor.
That is a great idea! Party in Flames Honor! I still think of him all the time! He is alive in many a heart around here! Please tell her that we all give her a big hug for courage!;-)
Terry

Gardner, KS

#136 Sep 21, 2007
jimmy48 wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Terry. Long time no talk. How are ya?
Hi Doll I am doing ok. Just going to go out for a fish fry. It's a big thing around here on Fridays. I get to drink soda until I get through this BS Even I am bright enough not to mix drugs and booze. Look out when I am back to normal it could be a little scary. I'll try and catch up to you later LUV YA!
Terry

Gardner, KS

#137 Sep 21, 2007
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Terry,weird how Junior brings out all kinda topics! Good Grief.Well i will admit something here and it is not something i put on the wall or anything.I have 2 Swastika's! They were handed down to me from a family member that was in the war,and they come with a story,and that story is too long for here but it is a story of forgiveness! I also have a Menorah and i hold that dear to my heart as it was given to me among many Jewish items,from a family i took care of(Hospice) The point i am trying to make is that of the reason and or reasons to bring up a number that could be any number,but it's not that number in the racing world! So if you have 88 in your SSI# that means your dammed? Please spare all of us the Door to door on Topix for one's view of a Hate number when in reality,it's only a number of a race car! The evil thoughts are in the person who thought of this and brought it here!
Sorry Terry,i wanted to explain here because you are my friend!;-)
No need to say your sorry Sweetie. It's a good post. A number is just a number in the racing world. Why it was even brought is stupid, hence my toilet paper remark. I got to take off for awhile, I'll talk to you soon Hon.
Terry

Gardner, KS

#138 Sep 21, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Girl, we're okay. Mamaw is having a hard time with the grief and depression. But that is to be expected. 43 years together is a while and they were devoted to each other. I get by there as often as I can. He is the first thing I think of everytime I see Jeff's car. I have a photo of him when he got to sit in one of Jeff's show cars once in my office and I had him to sign it just like you would the driver. If Jeff wins this championship we're going to have a party that will last a couple of days in Flames honor.
Still think of Flames alot. There is alot of us that miss him.

“Earnhardt Fans Rule”

Since: Sep 07

Florida

#140 Sep 21, 2007
not junior nation1321 wrote:
The swastika predates the Egyptian Ankh, and was used for over 3000 years to represent life, power, strength, and good luck, in many different cultures, including China, England, Greece and India. That said, what do you think will happen if you proudly display a swastika nowadays and claim you're NOT a racist? You'll be branded a Nazi and bad things will happen to you. I say that because symbols DO have power, even when they are corrupted. The people warning you about the 88 are correct. Now, I AM NOT SAYING DALE ( Jr. or Jarrett) IS A RACIST!! So don't jump on me. But, the meaning is there, and all of your attempts to unhear it will not make it so. So when you junebug robots get that "88" tatoo, don't act all surprised when you reap the consequences of having a Nazi symbol inked permamnently into your flesh....I'm just saying. Flame on.....
If my fellow Junior fans are anything like me, I am sure they will have no problem clearing up any misunderstandings about their tattoos or any other indiscretions. If you catch my drift.
Junior Nation

United States

#141 Sep 22, 2007
katie wrote:
if it's been known for a long time that the "88" symbolizes Hilter and racism, why are we just now hearing about it. Dale Jarrett made that 88 known in the modern era of racing. I would have thought somebody would have picked up on that story when DJ was driving the 88.
Because the Jr bashers just have to have something negative to say.

88 is a number and a number only and is used in other sports as well as address and anything else that has numbers associated with it. If I bought a house with the 88 as part of the address would that make me a racist?? NO!!

These people need to get a life and quick coming up with things to bash Jr with. They're WACKED!!
race_fan

Wilmington, NC

#142 Sep 22, 2007
I've always wondered why people who accuse others of being ignorant, redneck, hillbillies, and racist based on merre latitude and longitude, never see that their accusations actually make them appear more ignorant than anything they could accuse others of being..Just a thought.

Furthermore, as a native North Carolinian, a NASCAR fan, and a Junior fan, I've always laughed at those who accuse me of being ignorant because I happen to have been born south of the Mason Dixon line, follow a sport that happened to start south of the Mason Dixon line, and follow a driver who happens to have been born south of the Mason Dixon line, as well. Granted, there are ignorant people who follow NASCAR, but ignorance is a universal trait. In my opinion, what makes one ignorant has more to do with what's inside and how they treat others, than it does with arbitrary facts like where one lives and what one likes.

Moreover, for the posters who refer to NASCAR fans as being dirty, flithy, racist hillbillies who drink lots of beer, burp, slober, and throw beercans--you've obviously never been to a NASCAR race. On average, NASCAR fans have more income per capita than any other sports fans,(much to my chagrin) it has become so business-driven than most of the fans (at least at Charlotte) look like they've just walked out of a business meeting, and I've seen various races, ethnicities, and nationalities co-mingle and cheer and jeer various drivers, as NASCAR fans and sports fans often do.

I've never seen a NASCAR fan throw a beer can, although I've seen a few throw some obscene gestures (but I've seen that in every corner of the globe, as well), I've never seen a NASCAR fan badger or harrass other races or ethnicities, and I've never seen a NASCAR fan come to the race wearing a straw hat, overalls, and playing a bango as if he or she walked out of a scene from Deliverance.

Frankly, I think the negative posters are hypocrites who condescendingly look down upon others because they actually believe negative stereotypes. Granted, all stereotypes have an element of truth, but not everyone is a stereotype! Moreover, I think they are subconsciously angry that a bunch of, as they would say, "hillbilly, rednecks from the south" have actually helped manifest one of the most popular sports in the world, one of the highest-grossing sports in the world, and increasingly, one of the most well-respected sports in the world, both from a business aspect and sports aspect.

But, thankfully, I believe everyone one can change!! There is hope!

Sorry for the long post, but I had alot to write!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ricky Rudd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Ricky Rudd (Feb '13) Aug '13 jon 3
News NASCAR driver Rudd ending retirement (Dec '06) Sep '11 Frank from Canada 10
News Road warriors ready to do battle today (Jun '10) Jun '10 NY Nascar 6
1000 Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '09) May '10 Woody 2
News Now more than ever, NASCAR needs new heroes (Oct '09) Oct '09 barr 4
News Rudd tips his hat to Martin (Oct '09) Oct '09 john ratcliffe 1
News Watch Out For Stewart-Haas At New Hampshire NAS... (Jun '09) Jun '09 14_Patti_18 2
More from around the web