Welcome To The World of Ralph Dale Ea...

Welcome To The World of Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.

There are 37 comments on the Bleacher Report story from Jan 23, 2011, titled Welcome To The World of Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.. In it, Bleacher Report reports that:

Just for a moment, try and imagine this. You are 36 years old, you drive a race car for a living and you have won 13 total races at Daytona - apparently without talent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bleacher Report.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Raymond, WA

#1 Jan 23, 2011
He carries the sport on his shoulders? More like he could single-handedly save the sport by simply walking away. Walk away, and take that segment of the fan base that follows NASCAR for the sole purpose of worshipping him. Leave the sport instead to those of us that like the racing, and not the never-ending side show cum media circus that has taken precedence in recent years.
annie

New Hope, VA

#2 Jan 24, 2011
JrNationMakesMeLaugh wrote:
He carries the sport on his shoulders? More like he could single-handedly save the sport by simply walking away. Walk away, and take that segment of the fan base that follows NASCAR for the sole purpose of worshipping him. Leave the sport instead to those of us that like the racing, and not the never-ending side show cum media circus that has taken precedence in recent years.
Rutledge Wood's thinking about Dale Jr.
The whole conversation and obsession with his performance utterly baffles me. It makes absolutely no sense that a five-time consecutive champion such as Jimmie Johnson has less pressure on him than Dale Jr. People look to Dale Jr. to be some sort of Messiah to the sport, but that burden and those expectations are unfounded, unwarranted and unfair. He never has professed to be anything more than a regular, low-key guy who just likes to race cars, so it is illogical for him to have to carry the weight of the sport on his shoulders because of his famous last name.

Had Dale Jr. proclaimed his intentions to win 200 races over his career like Kyle Busch did last year, or a similar public admission of his goals, then I think you’d have an argument. But he never has. The guy has far more trophies than many drivers who compete at the Cup level, yet those guys never will be scrutinized in this manner.

“Just quit jr.”

Since: Aug 09

WVU

#3 Jan 24, 2011
It's all about jr's name, that is the ONLY reason he is where he is in NASCAR. Those who believe that jr hasn't been GIVEN special treatment, well, you have the right to believe what ever pleases you. As far as his wins, jr has driven TOP OF THE LINE cars through out his time in NASCAR and compare that to the few other drivers that can make that statement today, i.e. JJ, Jeff G. Tony, and how does jr stack up against them????

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#4 Jan 24, 2011
You little haters "might" have a case for you negativity were it not for the truthful facts the writer puts forth. You're really going to be pissed should the man get lucky and win a few races and attendance at the track and t.v. viewership takes a big leap.

United States

#5 Jan 24, 2011
Whoyakidding wrote:
You little haters "might" have a case for you negativity were it not for the truthful facts the writer puts forth. You're really going to be pissed should the man get lucky and win a few races and attendance at the track and t.v. viewership takes a big leap.
Those "truthful facts" could apply to 10 other drivers. No one disputes the fact that attendance and Nielsen ratings would improve if he "gets lucky" (your words); the point is that the sport can do without those fans that only care for Jr, and not the race happening in front of him.

“Just quit jr.”

WVU

#6 Jan 25, 2011
Wasn't the ratings up for the last race to close the 2010 season, or am I mistaken?? At last look, jr was no where to be found in the "race for the chase", so why were the ratings up???

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#7 Jan 25, 2011
3TOES wrote:
Wasn't the ratings up for the last race to close the 2010 season, or am I mistaken?? At last look, jr was no where to be found in the "race for the chase", so why were the ratings up???
The rating went up because most people was
wanting to see Jimmie knocked off his perch.I was rooting for Happy Harvick myself.
Jim

Amherst, NH

#8 Jan 25, 2011
Whoyakidding wrote:
Please enlighten us, what are the "truthful facts".

BTW, is there such a thing as untruthful facts?

“Just quit jr.”

WVU

#9 Jan 25, 2011
snow wrote:
<quoted text>The rating went up because most people was
wanting to see Jimmie knocked off his perch.I was rooting for Happy Harvick myself.
Enlighten me on where I can find the ratings breakdown...I would like to see if what you say has any documented proof or if is just your opinion.

“YA dont know ..........do ya??”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 25, 2011
I thought this article was pretty good. Jr isnt my favorite but I think he gets chewed up by his doubters to the extreme. He cant help his last name is Earnhardt. And this article shows the "talent" Jr has displayed in his NASCAR career. Again, hes not my favorite but he deserves his due, just like every driver in the series. And this author did the research and put the facts right there in black and white, it is what it is, Jrs not a bad driver, hope he has a good year, hope all teams have a good year!!
Arnie

Katy, TX

#11 Jan 25, 2011
Whoyakidding wrote:
Didn't Junior win one at Daytona last season? And, so, where was this "big leap" in attendance at the track and TV viewership after that? Didn't happen, did it?

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#12 Jan 25, 2011
Arnie wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't Junior win one at Daytona last season? And, so, where was this "big leap" in attendance at the track and TV viewership after that? Didn't happen, did it?
Last I heard ONE wasn't a few and thie ONE wasn't in a cup car. If NASCAR doesn't need Jr.'s fans, someone sure as hell needs to tell Brian France, Mike Helton and the media that because they all think it does. I'm not a particular Jr. fan myself but it amazes me how some that do not like him thinks that makes them superior to someone who does. Personally, I think NASCAR needs a hell of a lot more fans with the loyalty to the sport that Jr.'s fans have regardless of who they pull for. We all know what the trust is, if you're not a Jr. fan, you're jealous as hell that win, place or show, he still sneezes and steals your man's thunder. Jr. can fart and get more attention that most of the other top drivers and that really pisses some of you whiners off but you're not man enough to admit it. I get a kick out reading the B.S.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Raleigh

#13 Jan 25, 2011
JrNationMakesMeLaugh wrote:
<quoted text>Those "truthful facts" could apply to 10 other drivers. No one disputes the fact that attendance and Nielsen ratings would improve if he "gets lucky" (your words); the point is that the sport can do without those fans that only care for Jr, and not the race happening in front of him.
I agree, they could but they not who we're talking about. No, the sport can't do without those fans. Do yourself a favor and watch the Daytona 500. That sea of green that rises to it's feet when he takes the lead is the biggest percentage of fans there. No, what NASCAR really needs is more fans that are as loyal to there drivers as Jr's are to him. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan and if he isn't leading then I'm not really interested in who is because I'm concentrating on his place in the race. That's pretty much the way all race fans are. It's that even if Jr. isn't up front, because he is so popular he still gets a little attention and pisses some folks off. It is what it is.

Mccleary, WA

#14 Jan 25, 2011
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, they could but they not who we're talking about. No, the sport can't do without those fans. Do yourself a favor and watch the Daytona 500. That sea of green that rises to it's feet when he takes the lead is the biggest percentage of fans there. No, what NASCAR really needs is more fans that are as loyal to there drivers as Jr's are to him. I'm a Jeff Gordon fan and if he isn't leading then I'm not really interested in who is because I'm concentrating on his place in the race. That's pretty much the way all race fans are. It's that even if Jr. isn't up front, because he is so popular he still gets a little attention and pisses some folks off. It is what it is.
I don't see it that way, sorry. I think that the sport needs more RACE FANS, the ones that are thrilled by a high level of competition, regardless of who the competitors are. I have a favorite driver, just like almost everyone else, but if he's not performing well, let me watch someone who IS. I don't want the networks cramming some also-ran down my throat with their coverage just because he's popular, so they can pander to the masses. NASCAR, like everything, is cyclical in it's expansion and contraction - it was growing before Jr, and will continue to grow after he's gone. To say otherwise is to say that the basic package (auto racing) is flawed, and can only survive if it's propped up with a lot of window dressing to make it attractive.

“Just quit jr.”

WVU

#15 Jan 26, 2011
NASCAR has shoved jr in the forefront of a lot of more talented and proven drivers more than the "E" channel has promoted the Kardashians....by the way, that would be a good hook up for the legendary jr, one of the Kardashian ladies(although the term lady could be debated).
Smoke2008

Bristol, CT

#16 Jan 26, 2011
3TOES wrote:
NASCAR has shoved jr in the forefront of a lot of more talented and proven drivers more than the "E" channel has promoted the Kardashians....by the way, that would be a good hook up for the legendary jr, one of the Kardashian ladies(although the term lady could be debated).
You're right. Nascar and the media has shoved Junior to the forefront unrelentlessly, but that's their fault. Not Junior's. He's never claimed to be any messiah. I just wish you haters would give him a break. Go after Nascar and the media if it pisses you off that much. Yeah he's sucked for the last few years and he should step up, but nobody should have this kind of pressure on them Most people couldn't stand up to it,much less cope with it. It doesn't give him a pass, because he has a lot of work to do, but he accomplished things, that a majority of "talented and proven" drivers never will.
Arnie

Katy, TX

#17 Jan 26, 2011
Smoke2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. Nascar and the media has shoved Junior to the forefront unrelentlessly, but that's their fault. Not Junior's. He's never claimed to be any messiah. I just wish you haters would give him a break. Go after Nascar and the media if it pisses you off that much. Yeah he's sucked for the last few years and he should step up, but nobody should have this kind of pressure on them Most people couldn't stand up to it,much less cope with it. It doesn't give him a pass, because he has a lot of work to do, but he accomplished things, that a majority of "talented and proven" drivers never will.
What is this huge and undeserved "pressure" Junior has on him? He's trying (badly) to be a race car driver. If he won't commit himself to working harder at improving his performance that's his own doing. Any pressure that brings to bear is his own doing. If Junior has so much "pressure" when he's down in the 20's in the standings, think of all the "pressure" the five time champ has on him. It's time for Junior to man up, he's not a victim and he's not under "pressure" any more than any of the other drivers on the track. The other drivers have to justify their performance, Jimmie has to defend his championship title, that's "pressure." Junior is allowed to slack every week and bring it home with a lousy finish and never even has to explain himself. The next race, the announcers are hyping him up again, as if he's the reigning champ.

"...he accomplished things, that a majority of 'talented and proven' drivers never will." What are these wonderful accomplishments? Championships? A high number of race wins? Those are the accomplishments that the "talented and proven" drivers have trophies for, Junior is not on the list of major accomplishments in the sport. His only true claim to fame is his last name.

Location hidden

#18 Jan 26, 2011
Arnie wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this huge and undeserved "pressure" Junior has on him? He's trying (badly) to be a race car driver. If he won't commit himself to working harder at improving his performance that's his own doing. Any pressure that brings to bear is his own doing. If Junior has so much "pressure" when he's down in the 20's in the standings, think of all the "pressure" the five time champ has on him. It's time for Junior to man up, he's not a victim and he's not under "pressure" any more than any of the other drivers on the track. The other drivers have to justify their performance, Jimmie has to defend his championship title, that's "pressure." Junior is allowed to slack every week and bring it home with a lousy finish and never even has to explain himself. The next race, the announcers are hyping him up again, as if he's the reigning champ.
"...he accomplished things, that a majority of 'talented and proven' drivers never will." What are these wonderful accomplishments? Championships? A high number of race wins? Those are the accomplishments that the "talented and proven" drivers have trophies for, Junior is not on the list of major accomplishments in the sport. His only true claim to fame is his last name.
Did you even take time to read the article?? Doesnt appear that you did. Open your mind a little bit sir, it seems as though you have just put a big X on Jrs back and thats it, cant you think beyond your hatred?? This is not the Jr Show. I understand how you feel about that. But the author of this article put Jrs accoplishments in plain black and white, you are so closed minded that you ignore the facts that are stated in this article. Your logic is is childish.

Location hidden

#19 Jan 26, 2011
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Last I heard ONE wasn't a few and thie ONE wasn't in a cup car. If NASCAR doesn't need Jr.'s fans, someone sure as hell needs to tell Brian France, Mike Helton and the media that because they all think it does. I'm not a particular Jr. fan myself but it amazes me how some that do not like him thinks that makes them superior to someone who does. Personally, I think NASCAR needs a hell of a lot more fans with the loyalty to the sport that Jr.'s fans have regardless of who they pull for. We all know what the trust is, if you're not a Jr. fan, you're jealous as hell that win, place or show, he still sneezes and steals your man's thunder. Jr. can fart and get more attention that most of the other top drivers and that really pisses some of you whiners off but you're not man enough to admit it. I get a kick out reading the B.S.
Im with you friend, its fun reading all the BS. All Jrs doubters trying to say something profound but fail at doing so, its hilarious!! Jr is not my favorite either but I dont wish him or any other driver any bad circumstances at all. JRs fans have shown how to be loyal, I think thats what pisses these doubters off the most, Jrs fans wont be turned!! Cudos to Jrs fans, thats the kind of loyalty NASCAR was built on.

“Just quit jr.”

WVU

#20 Jan 26, 2011
Smoke2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, it's all these so called "haters" fault. Poor lit'l jr has so much pressure thrown upon him!!! I just bet he cries and cries as he cashes those big checks. Oh, I forgot, it's not his fault, it is ALWAYS someone else's fault, no matter what the situation is for poor, poor misunderstood jr.....LMAO!! There is an old saying "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". Maybe jr should get out of the kitchen!! As far as the majority of "talented and proven" drivers that will never accomplish the things that jr has, well, maybe they weren't give the EQUAL opportunity that has been thrust upon jr. He has been GIVEN the best, time to get off the pot, and perform. But, then again, maybe he is performing at his best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Childress Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halfway through NASCAR Sprint Cup season, new r... (Jul '16) Jul '16 RichK 2
News NASCAR driver apologizes for fight (Jun '16) Jun '16 WWE CRASHCAR 2016 4
News Harvick, Logano renew feud with Daytona confron... (Feb '15) Feb '15 MrTinkertrain24 1
News Top 20 moments of 2014, #4: NASCAR's new Chase ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 WelbyMD 1
News Harvick doesn't regret shoving Keselowski (Nov '14) Nov '14 freadrich 1
News Fantasy NASCAR at Richmond 2014: Picks, Top Dri... (Sep '14) Sep '14 john 1
News Kurt Busch-Keselowski feud flares up just in ti... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Kurtfann41 1
More from around the web