Danica debate: Marketing machine or racer?

Jan 11, 2010 Full story: www.scenedaily.com 19

Danica Patrick at ARCA testing in Daytona Beach in December 2009. LaDon George NASCAR Illustrated If the first media availability with NASCAR drivers and personalities is any indication, Danica Patrick's foray into NASCAR likely will be a big part of the conversation when talking about the 2010 season.

Full Story
airheadairman79

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 11, 2010
What else did you expect? Look at the commercials
MISSU3

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Jan 11, 2010
She's definitely been more successful as a marketing machine so I figure that it will be the same in NASCAR. After all, she's working for the marketing master, Dale Jr.

“'2010'season ”

Since: May 09

Phoenix, Arizona

#4 Jan 13, 2010
All she has to do is walk on the track and mention a sponsor and they get what they want. She's a marketing dream.
michelle

Houston, TX

#5 Jan 13, 2010
She's a talentless media slore.

“Stick it.”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#6 Jan 13, 2010
To me and this is just my opinion I think it makes a mockery out of NASCAR to suggest she's a stock car driver.
The Fat and the Furious

Wixom, MI

#7 Jan 14, 2010
This Texan likes Nascar wrote:
To me and this is just my opinion I think it makes a mockery out of NASCAR to suggest she's a stock car driver.
I am inclined to agree with you. As much as I usually like to give someone the benefit of the doubt, and wait and see how they perform, with her I just haven't seen a talent that is going to be successful in stock cars. If she can prove me wrong, more power to her! I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong. Somehow though, I'll be very surprised if that's one admission that I'll ever have to make.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#8 Jan 14, 2010
Robby Gordon once got blasted for making a very valid point. I believe his point was that in the IRL, the regulation weight of the cars does not include the wieght of the driver as it does in NA$CAR. Since indy cars are only around 1200lbs or so, the extra 100lbs a male driver carries over her provides Danica an unfair weight advantage.

Now, with "stock" cars weighing in at around 3400lbs (including driver) your telling me that danica is going to be able to muscle that thing around the track with her 98lb frame just as good as the boys? No.

“Shoot to kill”

Since: Aug 09

Gainesville, FL

#9 Jan 14, 2010
Marketing machine! but sexy. and may get hurt in NASCAR, they can actually pass cars in NASCAR.
Nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jan 14, 2010
This Texan likes Nascar wrote:
EXACTLY.
Loraine

Houston, TX

#11 Jan 16, 2010
She gets a chance to prove if she can do it or not. Face it she wont go un sponsored. I don't think she'll make it tho but what IF she did.
T E Workman

Norfolk, VA

#12 Jan 16, 2010
I wonder how long before she gets her first bump draft lesson or ticks off Kyl Bush
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

#13 Jan 16, 2010
Danica will have some success at the ARCA race at Daytona. If you look closely at almost every ARCA team they are driving chassis that are anywhere from 3 to 8 years old and outdated by Cup standards. She will be out there in a car that is state of the art technology and will look fairly good, at first. The real test will be when she is in about her fifth truck race, will she show signs of improvement? You know that Brian France will make phone calls to all of the other teams warning them about roughing up the potential new "Cash Cow" (pardon the pun) This has been done before for Shana Robinson when she drove for Don Beverly in Bush. I remember one night they were racing at South Boston and Tommy Ellis (two time series champion) was behind her in the goo goo clusters #99 and started bumping her to get by, as was the custom when Bush cars ran at South Boston, NASCAR officials told Tommy's crew chief if he came within 6 feet of the bumper of the #35 again he would be placed in the penalty box.(Yes at that time NASCAR had a penalty box for rough driving and you had to sit there for a number of laps).

NASCAR so very much wants a female or minority driver to come and be able to compete on an even basis and win that it will do almost anything to help one along the way. NASCAR is not that much a friend to minorities and women, however, they are very friendly to the money they would bring into the sport.
nascarfan954

Detroit, MI

#14 Feb 2, 2010
I wouldn't mind if danica patrick, milka duno and sarah fisher all made it to the cup series. As the world changes, so does nascar. It would be great to see women do well in the sport. Probably won't happen, but would be a nice change of pace.
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

#15 Feb 2, 2010
nascarfan954 wrote:
I wouldn't mind if danica patrick, milka duno and sarah fisher all made it to the cup series. As the world changes, so does nascar. It would be great to see women do well in the sport. Probably won't happen, but would be a nice change of pace.
We can all agree on that one, it would also be nice to see minority drivers do well in the sport, however, not those who have been artifically pushed by the PC machine. On that note, I saw a sad thing, Marc Davis, the up and comming black driver lost his father a week or so ago. I met them at Orange County Speedway and they were determined to get Marc to the top level of racing, I hope that this death does not derail the dream.

Ski

“Is It Friday Yet?????”

Since: May 07

Smalltown New York

#16 Feb 3, 2010
menards wrote:
Robby Gordon once got blasted for making a very valid point. I believe his point was that in the IRL, the regulation weight of the cars does not include the wieght of the driver as it does in NA$CAR. Since indy cars are only around 1200lbs or so, the extra 100lbs a male driver carries over her provides Danica an unfair weight advantage.
Now, with "stock" cars weighing in at around 3400lbs (including driver) your telling me that danica is going to be able to muscle that thing around the track with her 98lb frame just as good as the boys? No.
The IRL cars weigh in at about 1500 pounds or so minus driver. A few years back, the IRL implemented a rule that took driver weight into account. The lighter a driver was, more ballast would be added to the car. This negated the advantage Danica would possibly have due to her weighing less than most male drivers.
As for her being able to muscle that 3400 lb "stock" car around...keep in mind that Indy cars are not equipped with power steering like the Cup cars are. While they do have a variable ratio rack and pinion steering, it is still a manual steering system. I seriously doubt Danica...or even your Grandma would have any problem steering a Cup car.
Danica NOT all that

Palm Desert, CA

#17 Feb 7, 2010
Danica is SO overrated and overexposed! She's cute, but she's not the sex symbol that's she's portrayed. She's known to have a nasty temper and to be a real bitch.
CheersForKyle

Zellwood, FL

#18 Feb 8, 2010
Window Dressing! Allie Owens was the female driver to be admired --she was third when she had problems with her car. Her name was not even mentioned until almost the end of the race and she had been running in the front group most of the day. Allie out classed Danica l00-1. Hail to Queen Danica??Playboy Darling.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#19 Feb 8, 2010
I was thoroughly surprised that the girl does possess some driving skills good enough to handle a fendered stockcar. She handled her ride through the grass a lot better than any of the male drivers did. The in-car camera proved she didn't panic and had some great car control. The media wasn't helping her drive from the back of the pack to the top five, she did that on her own and proved at the end she knows how to rub a little metal already. The media is little pack of male dogs chasing a female in heat. I feel sorry for Bobby Gerhart, it was his day in the sun and the media just pissed on it.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#21 Feb 11, 2010
Erin Crocker was a speedway champ in the Arca series. Whats she doing now?
Whoyakidding wrote:
I was thoroughly surprised that the girl does possess some driving skills good enough to handle a fendered stockcar. She handled her ride through the grass a lot better than any of the male drivers did. The in-car camera proved she didn't panic and had some great car control. The media wasn't helping her drive from the back of the pack to the top five, she did that on her own and proved at the end she knows how to rub a little metal already. The media is little pack of male dogs chasing a female in heat. I feel sorry for Bobby Gerhart, it was his day in the sun and the media just pissed on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Petty Enterprises Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women doing well on track (Jul '13) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 3
Kyle Petty was worse driver than Danica Patrick (Jul '13) Jul '13 Alto 5
Kyle Petty on Danica Patrick: 'She's not a race... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jorge 3
Predicting Which Current Drivers Will Make the ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 redrum 41
Fans Can Now Vote Their Favorite Driver into th... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Grandpaw Whitey 7
Friends roast absent Darrell Waltrip for charity (Oct '11) Oct '11 acrim 3
Pattie Petty diagnosed with Parkinson's disease (Oct '11) Oct '11 Tier 1
More from around the web