Donovan McNabb Sparks Controversy After Saying NASCAR Drivers Aren't Athletes

Nov 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BleacherReport

During an appearance on Fox Sports Live on Friday, the former NFL quarterback refused to classify Jimmie Johnson as an athlete.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
L Gray

Millersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2013

An I would Like to say that Donovan Mcnab Is no athlete Either. Just another big dumb ass Half ass Q back with a big mouth. who was never a really good Q/B Just Mouth.
One more thing I would like to say Let him drive In a race and see where ends up at.

Since: Sep 13

Southlake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2013

McChoke blows chunks

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

L Gray wrote:
An I would Like to say that Donovan Mcnab Is no athlete Either. Just another big dumb ass Half ass Q back with a big mouth. who was never a really good Q/B Just Mouth.
One more thing I would like to say Let him drive In a race and see where ends up at.
and Derek Jeter wouldnt be able to fly a plane...that doesnt make him any less of an athlete. Race Car drivers are not athletes. Driving a car is a learned skill. With enough capital, anyone can compete in NASCAR. That alone defies the definition of "athlete"
Superman Can

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2013

Judged:

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
and Derek Jeter wouldnt be able to fly a plane...that doesnt make him any less of an athlete. Race Car drivers are not athletes. Driving a car is a learned skill. With enough capital, anyone can compete in NASCAR. That alone defies the definition of "athlete"
athĚlete (thlt)
n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

----------
By the defination fo athlete.. sure looks like drivers are athletes to me. Lets see if McNab and all you other folks who say drivers aren't athletes can handle the endurance of 110+ heat for 3 to 4 hours at a time while the impact of 3G's smacking against you. It's not uncommon for these drivers to drop 10+ lbs during this time. Drivers have strength, agility & endurance more so than most professional sports.
t o says

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Superman Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see if McNab and all you other folks who say drivers aren't athletes can handle the endurance of 110+ heat for 3 to 4 hours at a time while the impact of 3G's smacking against you.
He could probably handle it until the last few laps where he'd start vomiting..........

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Superman Can wrote:
<quoted text>
athĚlete (thlt)
n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
----------
By the defination fo athlete.. sure looks like drivers are athletes to me.
Exactly how? Please elaborate.
Superman Can wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see if McNab and all you other folks who say drivers aren't athletes can handle the endurance of 110+ heat for 3 to 4 hours at a time while the impact of 3G's smacking against you.
1) drivers have cooling systems for the heat. 2) you would experience that same 3Gs of force on a commercial airliner. Doesnt make you an athlete.
Superman Can wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not uncommon for these drivers to drop 10+ lbs during this time. Drivers have strength, agility & endurance more so than most professional sports.
Strength. See Danica Patrick. Agility. See the definition of agility. How can a drive be "agile" while sitting still in a seat? Does not Apply. Endurance. Sitting in a seat for an extended period of time. Astronauts athletes too?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Not all drivers are athletes, BUT JJ and others are indeed...mcnab needs to do his homework, and maybe go for a morning run with JJ or maybe understand how top teams train for pit duty....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Jusy_Sayn wrote:
Not all drivers are athletes, BUT JJ and others are indeed...mcnab needs to do his homework, and maybe go for a morning run with JJ or maybe understand how top teams train for pit duty....
Ur lead in sentence says u don't need to be an athlete to drive= drivers are not athletes. Because some take wellness seriously doesn't make them athletes. I'm sure no one would have trouble tagging along with jj on a "morning run" lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

menards wrote:
<quoted text>Ur lead in sentence says u don't need to be an athlete to drive= drivers are not athletes. Because some take wellness seriously doesn't make them athletes. I'm sure no one would have trouble tagging along with jj on a "morning run" lol
Mcnab said specifically that JJ was not an athlete which is not correct...he trains with endurance running, swimming, etc....
Others such as Morgan Shepard are not athletes...
Just Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no, Walter Peyton was the best example of the problems in your primes. After Walter retired from football he spent several years attempting to race in IMSA Road Racing (a low level pro racing series). Try as he might and spend almost unlimited money "Sweetness" was pathetic as a racecar driver. If you look at athletes you must expand an give a definition of what is an athlete. Many NFL players are by far not athletes, such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and most of the super fat offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL. Baseball players are hardly athletes as stated several years ago by John Krock who stated I am not an athlete, I am a baseball player. Going strictly by the old school definition of Heart and Lung capabilities I would think that basketball players to a degree and Futball players to a more extream level are the only athletes in pro sports as each require more endurance than anybody in football or baseball.
Hilton Head

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

If you want to see athletes watch the Olympic Games.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Jusy_Sayn wrote:
<quoted text>
Mcnab said specifically that JJ was not an athlete which is not correct...he trains with endurance running, swimming, etc....
Others such as Morgan Shepard are not athletes...
Again...because someone takes wellsness seriously does not make them an "athlete". As far as I know, JJ does not compete competitively in running, swimming, etc....

Morgan Shepherd is 72 years old, and still drives. Drivers are not athletes. The car is doing the work. Period.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no, Walter Peyton was the best example of the problems in your primes. After Walter retired from football he spent several years attempting to race in IMSA Road Racing (a low level pro racing series). Try as he might and spend almost unlimited money "Sweetness" was pathetic as a racecar driver. If you look at athletes you must expand an give a definition of what is an athlete. Many NFL players are by far not athletes, such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and most of the super fat offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL. Baseball players are hardly athletes as stated several years ago by John Krock who stated I am not an athlete, I am a baseball player. Going strictly by the old school definition of Heart and Lung capabilities I would think that basketball players to a degree and Futball players to a more extream level are the only athletes in pro sports as each require more endurance than anybody in football or baseball.
Actually, yes. Walter Payton would be a perfect example which absolutely proves the point I made. Walter amassed large amounts of capital during his pro-nfl days. Capital he spent on auto racing. Payton, a phenominal athlete, lacked the neccessary car-driving skills to be competitive in auto racing. His auto racing career ended after a fiery crash at Road America. Race care drivers are not athletes. Its a skill. The car is doing the work, not the driver.

Southlake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Race care drivers are not athletes. Its a skill. The car is doing the work, not the driver.
That's a pretty na´ve statement. Driving a race car is not a carnival ride. Each driver is actively manipulating their racecar in a hot, cramped, physically demanding environment in close proximity to dozens of other drivers at 200mph.

And Yes, Jimmie Johnson races competitively in triathlons. He won his age division in Palm Springs, finished seventh in Charleston, and finished respectively in several other events. This information is widely known.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Cale 11 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty na´ve statement. Driving a race car is not a carnival ride. Each driver is actively manipulating their racecar in a hot, cramped, physically demanding environment in close proximity to dozens of other drivers at 200mph.
And Yes, Jimmie Johnson races competitively in triathlons. He won his age division in Palm Springs, finished seventh in Charleston, and finished respectively in several other events. This information is widely known.
no...its pretty much spot on.
Your words & the definition that applies:
"actively"
Marked by or involving direct participation
"manipulation"
handle or control (a tool, mechanism, etc.), typically in a skillful manner.

Alas, "actively manipulating" a piece of machinery, regardless of the operating environment (wont get into cooling systems, power steering, physical stature), does not make one an athlete. It makes you a skilled laborer. Plain and simple. No different than a welder, machinist, pilot, ect ect ect.

Again, millions of Americans run swim & bike in various charity "races" across the country on a weekly basis. Are they all althetes too?

Southlake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

You are correct. The word "na´ve" is the wrong word. Perhaps the word "obtuse" is more appropriate.

Instead of actually addressing the issue, you cherry pick words to argue and think pasting word definitions proves your point. If you want to have an intelligent discussion on the definition of athlete, I'm game, but you'll have to do better than, "Oh, you used the word 'actively.' That means the same thing as 'drill press operator.'"

Time to step-up your game.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Cale 11 wrote:
You are correct. The word "na´ve" is the wrong word. Perhaps the word "obtuse" is more appropriate.
Instead of actually addressing the issue, you cherry pick words to argue and think pasting word definitions proves your point. If you want to have an intelligent discussion on the definition of athlete, I'm game, but you'll have to do better than, "Oh, you used the word 'actively.' That means the same thing as 'drill press operator.'"
Time to step-up your game.
Yes, a drill press operator "actively manipulates" a drill press. Same as a fork lift operator, tractor trailer driver, ship captian, ect ect none of which are athletes, just like the dude who drives a car at high speeds on a closed circut. Race car drivers are not athletes. The car is doing the work. JJ does not win championships if he is driving for say Furnature Row (see his Busch Stats pre-2002).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Cale 11 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmie Johnson's triathalon times are less than impressive for an amature. 10:29 600yd swim would not pass the basic lifeguard exam 10:00 min requirement, with competive times down around the 6 min mark(by 16 year olds) Bike & run times fall in line with your regular office average joe who runs and bikes regularly for fun. This is not, by any means, supporting your arguement that he is an "athlete" of "professional" caliber. YOU need to step up your game.
Just Me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmie Johnson's triathalon times are less than impressive for an amature. 10:29 600yd swim would not pass the basic lifeguard exam 10:00 min requirement, with competive times down around the 6 min mark(by 16 year olds) Bike & run times fall in line with your regular office average joe who runs and bikes regularly for fun. This is not, by any means, supporting your arguement that he is an "athlete" of "professional" caliber. YOU need to step up your game.
Nobody stated that Jimmie Johnson was an tri athlete of pro quality. I would wonder if McNabb would beat those times in the swim, bike and run in a competition. Reminds me of one of the first Battle of the Network Superstars when Joe Frazier entered the swim contest and had to be helped out of the pool before he drown.
When you get down to it soccer players are about the only elite athletes playing any sport, they do it for more than 45 seconds before a break and they do not get to sit on the bench half of the game. Now, bring on most of the African American football players and get them to swim in a competition, are they athletes?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Hilton Head wrote:
If you want to see athletes watch the Olympic Games.
Especially the curling "athletes"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••