Stewart-Haas boosts effort to sign Kurt Busch

Aug 23, 2013 Full story: ESPN 31

Stewart-Haas Racing is moving forward with its effort to sign 2004 Cup champion Kurt Busch, the organization's director of competition said Friday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Manic 2

Broad Brook, CT

#1 Aug 24, 2013
Good story. I guess if they were planning on putting Kurt in the 39 to replace Ryan. Tony must no longer have a problem with Kurt. A least that's the way it reads.
debrobeaudean

Falls Church, VA

#2 Aug 25, 2013
I admire Kurt even MORE.... I had no clue that Kurt gave a hand gesture to michelle obamas motorcade....the interview with the idiot Punch was also right ON!
I personally have always liked Kurt even more than Kyle... so I would Love it if Kurt joined SHR
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#3 Aug 25, 2013
Manic 2 wrote:
Good story. I guess if they were planning on putting Kurt in the 39 to replace Ryan. Tony must no longer have a problem with Kurt. A least that's the way it reads.
Reading between the lines, and what SHR is hoping you forgot, I think what they aren't saying is that Haas wanted KB in the 39 last year, but signed on DP and moved the 39 crew to the 10 car, and they were lucky to have Ryan agree to a one-year deal while they put plans into place for a 4-car team. The fact that KH's contract with Childress ends this year was just fortunate timing. And with the 4 worst tempers in Nascar, they think they're going to be invincible.

Sneaky, shoddy way to run a business and treat your people IMO, and I'd like to see them fall off Gene Haas' checkbook flat on their butts!
manic 2

Wilbraham, MA

#4 Aug 25, 2013
CatRod53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading between the lines, and what SHR is hoping you forgot, I think what they aren't saying is that Haas wanted KB in the 39 last year, but signed on DP and moved the 39 crew to the 10 car, and they were lucky to have Ryan agree to a one-year deal while they put plans into place for a 4-car team. The fact that KH's contract with Childress ends this year was just fortunate timing. And with the 4 worst tempers in Nascar, they think they're going to be invincible.
Sneaky, shoddy way to run a business and treat your people IMO, and I'd like to see them fall off Gene Haas' checkbook flat on their butts!
I do not understand what U call sneaky and shoddy? What is Gene & Tony suppose to check in with the fans before they hire drivers ? It came from Zippy that they were considering to put KB in the 39. R U going to tell me Zip is a liar? Is it so hard for people to believe Tony has as much to do with this as Gene ? Why is Tony always innocent and it is always another guys fault. I think Tony is not the person people wants him to be. Tony did not accomplish everything he has by being a nice guy. And I would not expect him to be. But he has admitted it was his idea to bring DP & KH to SHR. If GH is willing to spend his own money to put KB in a car he has every right to. After all he owns half of SHR. Tony could have kept Ryan and sponsored him. Remember one important thing Tony & Zippy would have no trouble getting hired by another team. If they do not to stay at SHR they can leave . No one is twisting their arms to stay. Kurt's temper is no worse then Tony's. Like Tony told people on TSL if U do not like what he says & does don't watch him or listen.J/S
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#5 Aug 25, 2013
Regarding my opinion of sneaky and shoddy business, what exactly in my post #3 don't you understand? Many fans, media, and probably those in the Nascar garage have questioned the manner in the way Ryan's situation was handled. It just doesn't look like the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

Who called Tony innocent? Here's what he was quoted on July 12 when he made the announcement about RN and KH.The number one thing when Ryan and I spoke was our friendship will not change. This was a business decision that was Genes (Haas) as well as mine. It was a hard decision.

I truly wish we were able to facilitate four teams at this time, Stewart said.Were just not able to do that. Down the road, Im sure if that becomes a possibility, he will definitely be on the list to fill the fourth seat again.

Here we are, 6 weeks down the road and it doesn't look like that's happening, does it? GH just shot Tony's credibility all to heck.

Zippy is nothing more than a "yes man" who does what he's told. In the next paragraph is he trying to cover for Tony here, kissing Gene's butt, or has no idea what he's talking about?

When asked about Tony's comment that SHR wasn't in a position to expand to four teams when he announced Ryan Newman would not return next season, Zipadelli said that was accurate at the time. "Obviously, something's changed," Zipadelli said.

Did you seriously say if Tony & Zippy could leave SHR if they want to? Zippy yes, but it won't be his idea. But if Tony left, it wouldn't be SHR anymore, would it? I'm not convinced he actually owns 1/2 of the business, but I'm sure there would be a lot of legalities if he wants out of the deal.

Of course I understand that GH or SHR can hire whoever they want.(duh) But they're not hiring very popular drivers, are they? A lot of money comes from souvenir sales. And based on TS, RN, DP, KH and KB wins/losses this season, they won't be making too many trips to VL either.

Since: Feb 12

Broad Brook, CT

#6 Aug 25, 2013
CatRod53 wrote:
Regarding my opinion of sneaky and shoddy business, what exactly in my post #3 don't you understand? Many fans, media, and probably those in the Nascar garage have questioned the manner in the way Ryan's situation was handled. It just doesn't look like the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.
Who called Tony innocent? Here's what he was quoted on July 12 when he made the announcement about RN and KH.The number one thing when Ryan and I spoke was our friendship will not change. This was a business decision that was Genes (Haas) as well as mine. It was a hard decision.
I truly wish we were able to facilitate four teams at this time, Stewart said.Were just not able to do that. Down the road, Im sure if that becomes a possibility, he will definitely be on the list to fill the fourth seat again.
Here we are, 6 weeks down the road and it doesn't look like that's happening, does it? GH just shot Tony's credibility all to heck.
Zippy is nothing more than a "yes man" who does what he's told. In the next paragraph is he trying to cover for Tony here, kissing Gene's butt, or has no idea what he's talking about?
When asked about Tony's comment that SHR wasn't in a position to expand to four teams when he announced Ryan Newman would not return next season, Zipadelli said that was accurate at the time. "Obviously, something's changed," Zipadelli said.
Did you seriously say if Tony & Zippy could leave SHR if they want to? Zippy yes, but it won't be his idea. But if Tony left, it wouldn't be SHR anymore, would it? I'm not convinced he actually owns 1/2 of the business, but I'm sure there would be a lot of legalities if he wants out of the deal.
Of course I understand that GH or SHR can hire whoever they want.(duh) But they're not hiring very popular drivers, are they? A lot of money comes from souvenir sales. And based on TS, RN, DP, KH and KB wins/losses this season, they won't be making too many trips to VL either.
I have listened enough to Zip radio communication over the years. He is not a yes man. He is not afraid to speak his mind. Tony has hired 2 of his buddies & put them in cars. Unfortunatly Ryan could not attract sponsorship. Kevin comes with his own . Gene wants to put a friend of his in a car. And he is willing to put up his own money to make it happen. Fair is fair . Tony is a man who does not take shit from anyone. If you had listened to TSL you would know this. He let his listeners know he had the best lawyers money can buy to look out for his interest. Except for DP the drivers they picked my not be popular but they R talated drivers . They may shock people & make a hell of a team. If you go by the history in this sport. The majority of champions were mean aggressive drivers. Except for Ned &Dale Jarrett. And yes I do believe Tony & Zippy has a choice as to what they do with their lives. If Tony decides he wants out of SHR he can leave. It would not be the 1st time in history partners decided to disolved a partnership When a person has the money Tony has he can do what ever he wishes. Tony races because he wants to not because he has to.And this makes a world of difference .J/S
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#7 Aug 26, 2013
You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change mine.

I still believe the entire Ryan Newman situation was unscrupulous.

GH knows some men can be bought, and he's proved that with Tony and Zippy, and I think he'll outbid Furniture Row to buy KB just because he can.

I also think most people, including himself, will be surprised that you include Bobby LaBonte on your list of mean aggressive drivers.
Smoke

United States

#8 Aug 26, 2013
Sure will be interesting in the shop the Monday after Kurt Busch tries to run over and kill one of Smoke's crew members on pit road.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#9 Aug 26, 2013
Smoke wrote:
Sure will be interesting in the shop the Monday after Kurt Busch tries to run over and kill one of Smoke's crew members on pit road.
Smoke can just throw another helmet. We all know he can get away with that.
Manic 2

Wilbraham, MA

#10 Aug 26, 2013
Smoke wrote:
Again look at how many pit crew members Tony has hit & injured .Kurt did not hit a man in the face with his helmet & put him in the hospital.( Tony has never gone back to Australia)Go to Utube and look at the people Tony has attacked physically over the yrs.Not in just Nascar also on dirt tracks. This is the problem with race fans . Tony could kill someone and the fans would defend him to the bitter end.
Manic 2

Wilbraham, MA

#11 Aug 26, 2013
CatRod53 wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change mine.
I still believe the entire Ryan Newman situation was unscrupulous.
GH knows some men can be bought, and he's proved that with Tony and Zippy, and I think he'll outbid Furniture Row to buy KB just because he can.
I also think most people, including himself, will be surprised that you include Bobby LaBonte on your list of mean aggressive drivers.
We do not know the real story as to what really went down with Ryan.( But let not forget he was Tony's driver not GH.The racing media has received a lot of slack. For not waiting to get all the facts before reporting about SHR considering KB.Plus SHR is not the only team wanting KB. I do believe it was you the paste & copied the story . Tony is a very rich man . How can you or anyone say GH bought him . Is your opinion of Tony really this small.Again Tony hired Zippy .I really think you r thinking like a person who needs a pay check every week to survive .You need to think like a person that has enough money to tell people to go get fked. < Now this is Tony.He does not need anyone's money.Tony does not need NASCAR to survive. As far as your remark about BL maybe if had been more aggressive Gibbs would not have thrown him to the curb to bring in Kyle B. FYI I have been a big fan of the Labonte family for yrs. I just do not hero worship drivers.
too furious

Mooresville, NC

#12 Aug 26, 2013
Manic 2 wrote:
<quoted text>Again look at how many pit crew members Tony has hit & injured .Kurt did not hit a man in the face with his helmet & put him in the hospital.( Tony has never gone back to Australia)Go to Utube and look at the people Tony has attacked physically over the yrs.Not in just Nascar also on dirt tracks. This is the problem with race fans . Tony could kill someone and the fans would defend him to the bitter end.
bingo! its funny how fans dislike kurt so they rationalize that gene went behind tonys back to hire kurt. let me let you in on something, the ONLY reason tony drives in nascar is $$$$$. thats why he races dirt all week, he loves it but there is no money in it. tony more than anyone is all about money, and kurt is capable of winning races for him.. period. tony knows this. you don't make money hiring only people you like. they are going to drive your race cars, not be your roomate in a dorm.
too furious

Mooresville, NC

#13 Aug 26, 2013
as far as the way ryan was let go. ryan sucks. thats why they couldnt get a sponsor, thats why tony didnt take out of his own pocket to fund sponsoring for newman, thats why gene didnt offer to do it, like hes offering to do for kurt. drivers get fired every day, so what? its business. its not shady. newman wasnt any good, he didnt generate interest, thats why hes unemployed. it happens every day.
Smoke

United States

#14 Aug 26, 2013
Manic 2 wrote:
<quoted text>Again look at how many pit crew members Tony has hit & injured .Kurt did not hit a man in the face with his helmet & put him in the hospital.( Tony has never gone back to Australia)Go to Utube and look at the people Tony has attacked physically over the yrs.Not in just Nascar also on dirt tracks. This is the problem with race fans . Tony could kill someone and the fans would defend him to the bitter end.
Sorry to disappoint you but even though I put my name as "Smoke" I'm not a Tony fan so I'm not blind to anything. I do not condone what Tony has done however I don't believe he has taken a 3,500 lb car, pressed on the gas and ran a crew member up on his hood. He's lucky he wasn't charged with attempted manslaughter. Kurt Busch is a loose cannon ready to explode and his baby brother isn't too much further behind him. At least Kyle has coach to keep him under control.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#15 Aug 26, 2013
too furious wrote:
as far as the way ryan was let go. ryan sucks. thats why they couldnt get a sponsor, thats why tony didnt take out of his own pocket to fund sponsoring for newman, thats why gene didnt offer to do it, like hes offering to do for kurt. drivers get fired every day, so what? its business. its not shady. newman wasnt any good, he didnt generate interest, thats why hes unemployed. it happens every day.
Your correct Ryan is not popular with most fans. He has a bad temper at Penske he would not even speak to Rusty
the last year before Rusty retired. I am glad he is leaving.
Manic 2

Wilbraham, MA

#16 Aug 26, 2013
snow wrote:
<quoted text>Your correct Ryan is not popular with most fans. He has a bad temper at Penske he would not even speak to Rusty
Snow I think U have your drivers mixed up.This was common knowledge back in the day >
Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman Just Love to Hate Each Other ...

bleacherreport.com/articles/41237-rusty-walla... ...- Similar to Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman Just Love to Hate Each Other ...

Jul 26, 2008 ... It's a fact that Rusty Wallace and Ryan Newman had a strained relationship during their time together at Penske Racing...
I am pretty sure Kurt replaced Rusty when he retired.Rusty & Kurt were never team mates < But I could be wrong. But Rusty was KING at Penske.And was not shy about letting everyone know it. And Rusty was a very aggressive GOOD OLE BOY back in the day.BTW Ryan also had a strained relationship wit Kurt. But I know I know it was all Kurt's fault.
Manic 2

Wilbraham, MA

#17 Aug 26, 2013
snow wrote:
<quoted text>Your correct Ryan is not popular with most fans. He has a bad temper at Penske he would not even speak to Rusty
Wait a minute who R U people talking about Kurt Or Ryan B.???
Manic 2

Meriden, CT

#18 Aug 26, 2013
BIG OOOPPPS Kurt Or Kyle B.
Manic 2

Meriden, CT

#19 Aug 26, 2013
Ryan might just have a home.

Bob Pockrass &#8207;@bobpockrass 1h

I asked RC on Sat if he had deal w/Newman. His answer was they were talking RT @Lancesells23: is Newman still on the way to RCR?
CatRod53

Fort Wayne, IN

#20 Aug 26, 2013
Manic 2 wrote:
Ryan might just have a home.
Bob Pockrass &#8207;@bobpockrass 1h
I asked RC on Sat if he had deal w/Newman. His answer was they were talking RT @Lancesells23: is Newman still on the way to RCR?
I'm not sure this would be a good career move for Ryan. How many grandsons does RC have?

Sadly, I think his opportunities are limited to the 29, 42 and 78.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Nextel Cup Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This race fan is 'bummed' (Feb '12) Dec 25 Sgt Prepper 91
NASCAR Sprint Cup's Ricky Stenhouse Enters Batt... Dec 18 nelson 1
Harvick doesn't regret shoving Keselowski Nov '14 freadrich 1
Penske supports Keselowski after latest NASCAR ... Nov '14 Damion Wells 2
Jeff Gordon hits NASCAR's Brad Keselowski in pi... Nov '14 Harry Horton 1
NASCAR Brawl Ends with Jeff Gordon Bloody Lip, ... Nov '14 Harry Horton 1
Nascar to cut H.P. next year Nov '14 goob 1
More from around the web