NASCAR: Now That Tony's Going, Will The Fans?

There are 17 comments on the Aug 3, 2008, BleacherReport story titled NASCAR: Now That Tony's Going, Will The Fans?. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

Every year during the silly NASCAR season, there's a shuffle of sponsors, crew members and drivers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#41 Aug 4, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets say he doesnt win a race in 09 and 2010...does he start losing fans then?
Jr's 2 year dry spell without a win sure didn't hurt his fan base too much.

Since: Jul 08

Ashburn, VA

#42 Aug 4, 2008
no matter if he wins or loses I am a Tony fan no wins or 36 wins in a season I am with him.He is my main man. Gotta love him he has the additude that I love

“Old School Is Back. ”

Since: Jul 08

Bradenton, FL

#43 Aug 4, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets say he doesnt win a race in 09 and 2010...does he start losing fans then?
Nope I don't plan on going anywhere even if he does not win a race in those year or after. I supported Dale Sr. when he was winless as well.

Since: Jun 08

Maryland

#44 Aug 4, 2008
I'm following Tony, however; JGR will personally have a special place for me. The Coach is great, I've met him numerous times thru my ex-boss and was invited to two Supper Bowls, Tampa and Minn. I didn't get to make the one in Minn. because I was due anyday with my son. So my husband took his father, glad that they could spend some time together.

Tony will always be my favorite driver and I wish him all the best in the future. I'm confident he will make a Great Team Owner and we already know he's a great Driver.

Now on Joey Lagano's behalf, when he won the Busch East Series at Dover, he's a hellava driver. He is very nice, my 13yo daughter made it to Victory Lane, he gave her the sweaty hat off his head and a couple other things, he then lifted her up on the wall so she could get back thru the gate. I was truly impressed with him and his driving. So ^5 to Joey, good luck.

“Life is good...”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#45 Aug 4, 2008
Maro wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets say he doesnt win a race in 09 and 2010...does he start losing fans then?
He hasn't won in a year, and we're all still here. He might not get new fans, but his established ones will stay.

“Im bad, really really bad”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#46 Aug 4, 2008
I dont doubt that, but you also tend to cheer for other people too.

Winning matters, it matters as far as fans and it matters as far as how much we all get to see Tony. If that team tanks and he goes un-noticed for 2 or 3 seasons, the only way we'll see Tony is going to a race cause he wont get any TV coverage.

Someone better always comes along, someone faster, someone cuter, someone prouder, someone more aggressive.

In 2 years we could all be saying 'Tony who?'

I hope this turns out to be the right decision for him.
Joe

Maple Heights, OH

#47 Aug 4, 2008
Maro wrote:
I dont doubt that, but you also tend to cheer for other people too.
Winning matters, it matters as far as fans and it matters as far as how much we all get to see Tony. If that team tanks and he goes un-noticed for 2 or 3 seasons, the only way we'll see Tony is going to a race cause he wont get any TV coverage.
Someone better always comes along, someone faster, someone cuter, someone prouder, someone more aggressive.
In 2 years we could all be saying 'Tony who?'
I hope this turns out to be the right decision for him.
Not very likely to be "Tony who?" You're right, if he never wins again fans will move on to other drivers, but why would we forget about Tony? DJ, Bill Elliot, Bobby Labonte and Michael Waltrip all still have fans even though it's been a while since any of them won. Tony is a 2 time champion with over 30 wins. He'll always show up on the list of the best drivers, regardless of what he does next.

In the end its no different than other sports. Joe Montana hasn't been in the NFL for a long time, but I still consider myself to be one of his fans. If Nascar fans don't remember their favorite drivers even when they've moved on then it wouldn't be much of a fan base. In reality, Nascar fans are probably more likely more fanatical than other fans when it comes to picking a favorite.

“Clance' McClannahan ”

Since: Jan 07

Boise ID

#48 Aug 4, 2008
Sycamore wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been thinking the same thing. Hopefully his fans will be patient and supportive while he is "growing" his organization. Allot will depend on who he is able to hire, and of course the the most interesting issue will be who his crew chief will be.
I've also wondered if Zippy will join him when his contract runs out. Do you know how many years is left on it?
Zip is under contract until 2010.
I think Tony will add a 3rd car, take Zip as his CC, move Botty to the 3rd car and keep Borland with (insert Secret Driver here)
I think SHR is going to be a heck of a team.

“Clance' McClannahan ”

Since: Jan 07

Boise ID

#49 Aug 4, 2008
"Booty" I am speaking typoneese again.
Lester

Ashburn, VA

#50 Aug 4, 2008
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Not very likely to be "Tony who?" You're right, if he never wins again fans will move on to other drivers, but why would we forget about Tony? DJ, Bill Elliot, Bobby Labonte and Michael Waltrip all still have fans even though it's been a while since any of them won. Tony is a 2 time champion with over 30 wins. He'll always show up on the list of the best drivers, regardless of what he does next.
In the end its no different than other sports. Joe Montana hasn't been in the NFL for a long time, but I still consider myself to be one of his fans. If Nascar fans don't remember their favorite drivers even when they've moved on then it wouldn't be much of a fan base. In reality, Nascar fans are probably more likely more fanatical than other fans when it comes to picking a favorite.
another moronic post to add to the moronic post board.

Since: Jan 07

Charlotte NC

#51 Aug 4, 2008
Church of the Great Oval wrote:
<quoted text>
Zip is under contract until 2010.
I think Tony will add a 3rd car, take Zip as his CC, move Botty to the 3rd car and keep Borland with (insert Secret Driver here)
I think SHR is going to be a heck of a team.
Zippy only signed a one year extension when he resigned his contract? For some reason I thought it was long term.
Joe

Maple Heights, OH

#52 Aug 5, 2008
Lester wrote:
<quoted text>another moronic post to add to the moronic post board.
Ouch. Now I'll feel bad all day.
Carolyn

Erie, PA

#53 Aug 5, 2008
Lester wrote:
<quoted text>another moronic post to add to the moronic post board.
Welcome, moron. You must be on the right board.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#54 Aug 5, 2008
maine girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Zippy only signed a one year extension when he resigned his contract? For some reason I thought it was long term.
Seems a little odd to me too...

As great as what they have been together I think their days of driver/crew chief will be over at the end of this year. I don't see Zippy leaving JGR.

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#55 Aug 5, 2008
see, to fans like ME... the entire race matters, not just the very last section.. I watch Tony work his way through traffic all day long and so even if he does not win, I have seen the best racing on the track...sometimes winning a race is like a crap shoot... in more ways than one..LOL

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#56 Aug 5, 2008
luvtonyseyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems a little odd to me too...
As great as what they have been together I think their days of driver/crew chief will be over at the end of this year. I don't see Zippy leaving JGR.
the thing I see is that Zippy and the entire team have got to stay for the next year to get Joey going... who knows if Zippy and Joey will even have chemistry together? we know that the Nationwide 20 car had a lot more horsepower than the other cars so now we shall see exactly how talented Joey really is, with cars more equal in horsepower.. I think he is good but maybe Zippy will even want to be put in charge of the entire garage at JGR afrter next season, or maybe he would want to go to SHR to either be Tony's crew chief or in charge over there... isn't it interesting to wonder?

“Life is good...”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#57 Aug 5, 2008
Church of the Great Oval wrote:
<quoted text>
Zip is under contract until 2010.
I think Tony will add a 3rd car, take Zip as his CC, move Botty to the 3rd car and keep Borland with (insert Secret Driver here)
I think SHR is going to be a heck of a team.
I like your thinking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nascar Drivers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Joey Logano leads every lap, wins Xfinity race ... Apr 18 tom wingo 2
News Harvick's only shove this time at Texas comes o... Apr 14 tom wingo 6
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. is building a treehouse on h... Apr 11 tom wingo 11
News Danica Patrick confronts Denny Hamlin after col... Apr 9 joe glazer 22
News 6.0-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Northern Chile Apr 3 mike tirico 2
News Could NASCAR boycott upcoming race in Indiana d... Apr 2 mike tirico 8
News NASCAR racer Kyle Larson taken to hospital afte... Apr 1 stewart scott 4
More from around the web