NASCAR penalizes Kenseth after engine fails

There are 10 comments on the Apr 24, 2013, WISN-TV story titled NASCAR penalizes Kenseth after engine fails. In it, WISN-TV reports that:

In one of the largest penalties in history, NASCAR stripped Matt Kenseth of everything but the trophy from his victory at Kansas after his engine failed a post-race inspection.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISN-TV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#21 Apr 30, 2013
stick13 wrote:
A light rotating assembly is a big advantage!!! The idea of "only 1 rod was light" sounds like complete BS... The weights of the rods & pistons are nearly exactly the same. That's why they build big HP, and turn 9000 rpm...its not mismatched junk yard shit.
Clint Bowyers crew changed their TRD engine because the rods were too close to being light..
The crew chief knows what's under the hood on race day, these are not sealed $5k crate engines.
So the whole idea of " gosh we didn't know" is unrealistic..
I'm not saying Kenseth is a cheater, I am saying some one dropped the ball.
My understanding it is like a crate engine in that the team is not allowed to do anything to it or even take it apart to verify parts. Also, everyone I've heard talk about it said 2.5 grams in one rod was no advantage. These penalties were overkill and I think some will be eased on appeal. There's no reason to take away bonus points for the wildcard berth on top of everything else, that's for sure.
Chip

Roscoe, IL

#22 Apr 30, 2013
stick13 wrote:
A light rotating assembly is a big advantage!!! The idea of "only 1 rod was light" sounds like complete BS... The weights of the rods & pistons are nearly exactly the same. That's why they build big HP, and turn 9000 rpm...its not mismatched junk yard shit.
Clint Bowyers crew changed their TRD engine because the rods were too close to being light..
The crew chief knows what's under the hood on race day, these are not sealed $5k crate engines.
So the whole idea of " gosh we didn't know" is unrealistic..
I'm not saying Kenseth is a cheater, I am saying some one dropped the ball.
Every single person with verifiable credentials seems to disagree with you. Maybe you should check your facts.
Hilton Head

Deland, FL

#23 May 1, 2013
It's all about the Hendricks advantage. Two years in a row without one of his drivers winning the championship is to much for them to bear.
Chip

Madison, WI

#24 May 1, 2013
Hilton Head wrote:
It's all about the Hendricks advantage. Two years in a row without one of his drivers winning the championship is to much for them to bear.
Is this a joke, or does ignorance just come out of you at random?
formerfan

Gainesville, GA

#25 May 2, 2013
Don't you people get it. NASCAR is starving! Look at the grand stands week in and week out. They are half empty. NASCAR is not gona take a pay cut... they got to make up for lost revenue somewhere. That's why they are heavily penalizing anything and everything. And don't you believe for one second that the penalty $ doesn't end up in their pocket. And I will also say this, just let Hendrick slip up and they will hammer him to.
Inquiring Mind

Quakertown, PA

#26 May 2, 2013
formerfan wrote:
Don't you people get it. NASCAR is starving! Look at the grand stands week in and week out. They are half empty. NASCAR is not gona take a pay cut... they got to make up for lost revenue somewhere. That's why they are heavily penalizing anything and everything. And don't you believe for one second that the penalty $ doesn't end up in their pocket. And I will also say this, just let Hendrick slip up and they will hammer him to.
These fines are chump change for NASCAR, low fan turnout hurts the track operators far more than NASCAR, and the fine money is put into a charity fund. You're wrong on all counts. Attendance is down, but TV money is what it's all about and ratings are up. The penalties have nothing to do with it.
formerfan

Gainesville, GA

#28 May 3, 2013
NASCAR owns one third (1/3) of the tracks on the current schedule / circuit. They take 100% of these purses. Moreover they take "THE MAJARITY" of the purse at the venues they don't own and operate out rite (just to come there). Ticket sales are down at the majority of all tracks. Therefor revenue is down overall. TV ratings you say??? show me prof of that stat. NASCAR is NOT being paid more $ by FOX, TNT, or ESPN but LESS for there performance in this economy. If it were not for the influence of advertisement dollars you would NOT see your beloved NASCAR on TV at all these days... chump change my foot... they will take a quarter million anytime they can! From Gibbs from Penske From Hendrick from Childress from any owner...

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#29 May 3, 2013
I don't know if they actually filed an appeal on this, but I read somewhere (possibly a false leaky) that JGR is gonna try and get Kenseth at least half his points back that he was penalized and get the owner & crew chief suspensions shortened. As far as his credit for the win counting towards the chase wild card that I don't know...A two win driver outside the top 10 is very likely to secure a wild card spot so if anything they should at least let his win count towards the chase wild card standings.

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#30 May 7, 2013
Appeal date is tomorrow so I hope it comes out in Kenseth & JGR's favor

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#31 May 7, 2013
What I'm really not understanding is that they took away all his points he earned with the win and then some but the win still stood, but would not count toward the ranking advantages if he finishes in the top 10. My question now is "Will it count toward his win total if it came down to him in the wild card chase?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NASCAR Busch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Joey Logano leads every lap, wins Xfinity race ... Apr 18 tom wingo 2
News Harvick's only shove this time at Texas comes o... Apr 14 tom wingo 6
News Dale Earnhardt Jr. is building a treehouse on h... Apr 11 tom wingo 11
News Danica Patrick confronts Denny Hamlin after col... Apr 9 joe glazer 22
News 6.0-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Northern Chile Apr 3 mike tirico 2
News Could NASCAR boycott upcoming race in Indiana d... Apr 2 mike tirico 8
News NASCAR racer Kyle Larson taken to hospital afte... Apr 1 stewart scott 4
More from around the web