Montoya could care less about being l...

Montoya could care less about being liked

There are 51 comments on the ScrippsNews story from Sep 1, 2007, titled Montoya could care less about being liked. In it, ScrippsNews reports that:

“Coming from a very different race car, he's had to learn the competitors, the tracks, the car, everything”

Juan Pablo Montoya has a lot of Dale Earnhardt in him. His aggressive driving style. via ScrippsNews

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ScrippsNews.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Diether

New York, NY

#1 Sep 3, 2007
Why should h change his driving because some people don't like it? What should he change? let people by in the closing stages of the race (i.e. Truex at the Glen), so he would be "respected". What is the deal of defending your position by taking the inside line?
I think fans that still have a question need to learn a bit more about road courses. Now what is Harvick complaining about? Honestly he tells Juan that he does not know what he is doing, but does he really understand what he is asking? I am afraid; Mr. Harvick and his crew’s IQ may not surpass the number written on the side pods of Juan car.
Junior Fan

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Sep 3, 2007
Diether wrote:
Why should h change his driving because some people don't like it? What should he change? let people by in the closing stages of the race (i.e. Truex at the Glen), so he would be "respected". What is the deal of defending your position by taking the inside line?
I think fans that still have a question need to learn a bit more about road courses. Now what is Harvick complaining about? Honestly he tells Juan that he does not know what he is doing, but does he really understand what he is asking? I am afraid; Mr. Harvick and his crew’s IQ may not surpass the number written on the side pods of Juan car.
Juan may be an o.k. driver but needs to respect other drivers....This he does not....

Since: Aug 07

Louisville, KY

#3 Sep 3, 2007
Harv&ick needs to figure out how to hold his tissue and drive. He whines more then anyone except for Michael Andretti that is. Juan does drive alot like Dale Earnhardt and the only reason people don't associate the two or want to admit JPM is a good driver is because his name is Juan Pablo Montoya and isn't an American. Which is b/s but you're raised that way so Juan shouldn't care and I'm glad he doesn't. You can't not give him any respect but say he should give it? It goes both ways.
CND BILL FAN

Princeton, Canada

#4 Sep 3, 2007
Juan Pabalo has nothing to worry about. Harvick is only liked by himself.
Alvaro

Salinas, CA

#5 Sep 3, 2007
I have followed Montoya's career since he arrived to the CART series and one thing I know about this guy is that he does not come into a series to please or be liked by other drivers and let alone the fans. He cares only about one thing, "WINNING." So, cry all you want...just get out of Montoya's way!

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#6 Sep 4, 2007
Juan Pablo Destroya took another step back this weekend, in the standings that is. His new technique worked, something like if you can't hit on the track, get them in the pits. All jokes aside. Juan is a talented driver but he's in for a long hard haul with the attitude he has. His arrogance and air of superiority won't win him races, a fast car and clean driving will. And if you have pissed off every other driver till they won't cut you a break, then you won't win many races either. The Golden Rule in NASCAR is "Do unto others and sooner or later they will do in back".
Junior Fan

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Sep 4, 2007
Alvaro wrote:
I have followed Montoya's career since he arrived to the CART series and one thing I know about this guy is that he does not come into a series to please or be liked by other drivers and let alone the fans. He cares only about one thing, "WINNING." So, cry all you want...just get out of Montoya's way!
If
he feels this way about fans his Montoya merchandise will suffer and that could loose
him a lot of money.....
Kong

Atlanta, GA

#8 Sep 4, 2007
Junior Fan wrote:
<quoted text>If
he feels this way about fans his Montoya merchandise will suffer and that could loose
him a lot of money.....
Is it all about money to you?

I respect a successful person that doesn't adjust their style to pander to the masses and lives THEIR lives and doesn't adjust it to the way others think they should live it.

AOL

#9 Sep 4, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
Juan Pablo Destroya took another step back this weekend, in the standings that is. His new technique worked, something like if you can't hit on the track, get them in the pits. All jokes aside. Juan is a talented driver but he's in for a long hard haul with the attitude he has. His arrogance and air of superiority won't win him races, a fast car and clean driving will. And if you have pissed off every other driver till they won't cut you a break, then you won't win many races either. The Golden Rule in NASCAR is "Do unto others and sooner or later they will do in back".
I would let this slide but he won a Nextel race this year as well as Busch did you forget? I don't think he's too worried about attending BBQ with the boys but he did get invited by Stewart to be in Prelude to a dream at Stewarts track. He's gonna win more it's just a matter of time. I like his approach and he's reminding me of Dale Sr. alot. Alot of the big boys have wrecked this year more then JPM. Just go to Nascar.com and look at Kahnes, Stewarts, Newman, Biffle they wrecked just as much. You're just talking about this one because he's Juan Pablo Montoya and doesn't fit your mold. 4 more years and I can't wait.

AOL

#10 Sep 4, 2007
Junior Fan wrote:
<quoted text>If
him a lot of money.....
I don't know I spent 50 bucks on a shirt at the Brickyard and his diecast and other stuff is selling well. His ebay stuff is really high so he's ok.
Kong

Atlanta, GA

#11 Sep 4, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text>I would let this slide but he won a Nextel race this year as well as Busch did you forget? I don't think he's too worried about attending BBQ with the boys but he did get invited by Stewart to be in Prelude to a dream at Stewarts track. He's gonna win more it's just a matter of time. I like his approach and he's reminding me of Dale Sr. alot. Alot of the big boys have wrecked this year more then JPM. Just go to Nascar.com and look at Kahnes, Stewarts, Newman, Biffle they wrecked just as much. You're just talking about this one because he's Juan Pablo Montoya and doesn't fit your mold. 4 more years and I can't wait.
Where on Nascar.com can I find info about all the wrecks. Hurry, I'm salivating...

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#12 Sep 4, 2007
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>
Where on Nascar.com can I find info about all the wrecks. Hurry, I'm salivating...
Here are the stats with video provided from the California race!I do these every weekend for those who missed the race.Enjoy...
http://www.topix.com/forum/nascar/tony-stewar...
Kong

Atlanta, GA

#13 Sep 4, 2007
mindy wrote:
<quoted text>Here are the stats with video provided from the California race!I do these every weekend for those who missed the race.Enjoy...
http://www.topix.com/forum/nascar/tony-stewar...
Thanks!

“"Racing Rules"”

Since: Dec 06

NHRA

#14 Sep 4, 2007
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Your welcome,there is alot of chat there,but we all have a great time chatting about what happens! All kinda of fans,not just Tony Stewart fans there.The video will replay again and even tho it's not very clear,you kinda get an idea of what happened! The Waltrip fire was really something! Have a great day! ;-)

AOL

#15 Sep 4, 2007
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.nascar.com/races/cu p/2007/rr_index.html
You can look at all the races and see the finshes. But anyways here's just Juans link http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/jmontoya00/...
By my calulation JPM has 2 wrecks, Jimmie Johnson 4, Kahne 3, Ward Burton 4, Stewart 2, Mcmurray 2, Rudd 5, Kennseth 3, Ragan 2, Jeff Green 3, Ragan 2, Blaney 3, Nemecheck 2, Yeley 2, Vickers 2 and so on. The deal is these people aren't rookies but did are doing just as bad or good as JPM. Why aren't we talking about them?

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#16 Sep 4, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2007/rr_index...
You can look at all the races and see the finshes. But anyways here's just Juans link http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/jmontoya00/...
By my calulation JPM has 2 wrecks, Jimmie Johnson 4, Kahne 3, Ward Burton 4, Stewart 2, Mcmurray 2, Rudd 5, Kennseth 3, Ragan 2, Jeff Green 3, Ragan 2, Blaney 3, Nemecheck 2, Yeley 2, Vickers 2 and so on. The deal is these people aren't rookies but did are doing just as bad or good as JPM. Why aren't we talking about them?
That's drivers that have been in wrecks, not to be confused with drivers that have caused wrecks. In Johnson and Destroya's case the number they caused greatly outnumber the one's they were actually in. Add Gordon to that list. He set off a pretty good one this weekend.

Louisville, KY

#17 Sep 4, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>That's drivers that have been in wrecks, not to be confused with drivers that have caused wrecks. In Johnson and Destroya's case the number they caused greatly outnumber the one's they were actually in. Add Gordon to that list. He set off a pretty good one this weekend.
Either way JPM has only had two accidents accounted to him, the rest should we say isn't in the record books and is a matter of opinion. Mine is we should talk about all the others too. Yours is yours but JPM has a pretty good rookie report card when all is said and done.

Louisville, KY

#18 Sep 4, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>That's drivers that have been in wrecks, not to be confused with drivers that have caused wrecks. In Johnson and Destroya's case the number they caused greatly outnumber the one's they were actually in. Add Gordon to that list. He set off a pretty good one this weekend.
Come to think of it didn't your boy Jeff wreck all the time at the start of his career?
venom

Nottingham, UK

#19 Sep 4, 2007
Montoya suffered the same problem in F1, they couldn't accept his attitude, which I think is spot on for a racing driver... thats why he left, he only had to get of the line and travel 5 feet and there was a stewards investigation into him driving dangerously after the race.

Dale Earnhardt sr, would have loved JPM, he's an old school racing driver and he's lost in an era of drivers more worried about their media status and wallet's, then they are about winning races.
CND BILL FAN

Delhi, Canada

#20 Sep 4, 2007
JPM would be hated even more if he drove a car the same caliber as the 11,20,24,48. I think the majority of nascar fans don't see the talent that many of these drivers have. JPM put on a show at this years 24 hours at Daytona in the rain. He ran lap after lap as the fastest in the pouring rain. He also showed tremendous car control at Eldora on dirt, his first time. It's time to get over it people, Nascar has changed in the 25+ yrs. that I have been following the sport.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Skinner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hornaday, Skinner take streaks to N.H. (Sep '09) Feb '12 LindaxxLove 2
News Ods Hosting Fund-Raiser for Gibbs (Jul '11) Jul '11 John 1
News NASCAR Crew Member Suspended (Jul '10) Jul '10 Everyone All Over 5
mike skinners barbed wire bracelet (Jul '07) Jun '10 Steve 4
News Karlhaus Realty sells Mike Skinner's Spruce Cre... (May '10) May '10 Pilot Bob 2
News Live from the racetrack (Oct '09) Feb '10 booyaa 9
News Skinner takes pole for NASCAR truck race (Sep '09) Sep '09 MISSU3 1
More from around the web