Was McDowell's crash the worst ever?

Was McDowell's crash the worst ever?

There are 78 comments on the Alabama Live story from Apr 10, 2008, titled Was McDowell's crash the worst ever?. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Posted by Doug Demmons -- The Birmingham News April 07, 2008 12:19 PM More than one commentator has described the jaw-dropping crash of rookie Michael McDowell during qualifying at Texas on Friday as the worst ... via Alabama Live

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

AOL

#61 Apr 16, 2008
Clayton wrote:
<quoted text>Wow i really didnt think it could be adults posting like that but i guess its possible.Thats a real sad state of affairs and worse off i found them draggin me to there level ,thats real bad.Oh thankz for the email adress my neighbor to the south.
You are welcome:-)

Since: Nov 07

White House, TN

#62 Apr 16, 2008
fan of all wrote:
Clayton and lynnsboro; Please come join us on the MINDY thread - decent adult racing conversation. We work hard to keep the nasty posts away.
http://www.topix.com/forum/nascar/TAHP6N6E3TC...
I lurk on threads alot and when I see really vulgar out of line posts I let TOPIX know. They rest is up to them of course.
I just enjoy meeting NASCAR Fans!
Thanks,
Actually, the name is just Lynn, the swboro was a typo. I am actually located in Owensboro, KY. Hometown of my guy MW.

AOL

#63 Apr 16, 2008
lynnswboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks,
Actually, the name is just Lynn, the swboro was a typo. I am actually located in Owensboro, KY. Hometown of my guy MW.
OH! COOL!

You can tell by my screen name - Fan Of All - that I love ALL the drivers. I just love to watch racing. Doesn't matter to me who wins just so long as I get to watch a race.

You are welcome to drop in to our MINDY thread - we have nearly 30,000 posts - its quite popular:-)

AOL

#64 Apr 16, 2008
By the way - THANKS for the icons! I LOVE 'em!!!!
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#65 Apr 17, 2008
fan of all wrote:
By the way - THANKS for the icons! I LOVE 'em!!!!
"Lost Wages, Nevada?" Ha, you go girl!! Is that you in that itty bitty picture??

I love it!! See ya later...hope you have a great day!
Roy Eliasson

Tampa, FL

#66 Apr 17, 2008
Just got into it this year . I hhave ben to Daytona had a blast look forward to next year

Since: Feb 08

Fairfax, VA

#67 Apr 18, 2008
Clayton wrote:
<quoted text>Way worse wreck than killed dale sr foresure.Shows how much safer cars have gotten.
Dale Sr didn't have the luxury of hitting the new safe barrier wall, instead he ran into concrete wall head on. Michael Mcdowell can thank his lucky stars for the new safe barrier not so much the car. If not for the safe barrier he would be sitting next to Sr now.
Clayton

Winnipeg, Canada

#68 Apr 18, 2008
Ex Fan wrote:
<quoted text> Dale Sr didn't have the luxury of hitting the new safe barrier wall, instead he ran into concrete wall head on. Michael Mcdowell can thank his lucky stars for the new safe barrier not so much the car. If not for the safe barrier he would be sitting next to Sr now.
Go to limewire my friend take a good look at the video.IN search in limewire type dales sr crash and download it .look at both crashes certaintly you havent studied the crashes i have and the impact on mc dowells car was way worse.Video will show you then get back to me my friend thankz.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#69 Apr 18, 2008
Dale Sr's seat belt broke (apparantly due to the it was bolted in the car)

Safer barrier or no safer barrier. His seat belt would have broke regardless.
Ex Fan wrote:
<quoted text> Dale Sr didn't have the luxury of hitting the new safe barrier wall, instead he ran into concrete wall head on. Michael Mcdowell can thank his lucky stars for the new safe barrier not so much the car. If not for the safe barrier he would be sitting next to Sr now.
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#70 Apr 18, 2008
menards wrote:
Dale Sr's seat belt broke (apparantly due to the it was bolted in the car)
Safer barrier or no safer barrier. His seat belt would have broke regardless.
<quoted text>
Menards, you are a lot smarter with Nascar than I am, can I ask you a question that keeps popping up regarding Dale's accident? I also keep hearing that Dale did not like using the Hans device, which at the time I understand was not mandetory. Do you believe besides the seatbelt issue, not using the Hans device also was a factor?

I understand it was Ken Schrader who got out of his car and took Dale's window netting down. DW was watching him and said he saw Kenny's hands go up and back. I wonder what exactly it was he saw. Not trying to be morbid or gross. To make Ken do that, well....it will be 2 years soon that I got into Nascar, so I am still asking questions. I never got to enjoy Dale's driving. I can only do it now watching Nascar Classics.
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#71 Apr 18, 2008
Clayton wrote:
<quoted text>Go to limewire my friend take a good look at the video.IN search in limewire type dales sr crash and download it .look at both crashes certaintly you havent studied the crashes i have and the impact on mc dowells car was way worse.Video will show you then get back to me my friend thankz.
Clayton, the thing about Reuti's crash that was so upsetting to me was the fact we could see him clearly in the car. They had the camera in the car. David's spotter, Shawn, I can remember word-for-word what he was saying, trying not to yell. "David, you gotta get out of the car, buddy, it's on fire.." over and over again. David's head was down on his chest and suddenly, he "woke up" and took the steering wheel off, but was very sluggish. One of the commentators said he just got the wind knocked out of him, trying to make it sound like the crash looked worse than it was.

I sat there with tears streaming down my face.
Clayton

Winnipeg, Canada

#72 Apr 18, 2008
Dillinger wrote:
<quoted text>
Clayton, the thing about Reuti's crash that was so upsetting to me was the fact we could see him clearly in the car. They had the camera in the car. David's spotter, Shawn, I can remember word-for-word what he was saying, trying not to yell. "David, you gotta get out of the car, buddy, it's on fire.." over and over again. David's head was down on his chest and suddenly, he "woke up" and took the steering wheel off, but was very sluggish. One of the commentators said he just got the wind knocked out of him, trying to make it sound like the crash looked worse than it was.
I sat there with tears streaming down my face.
Ya Reuitiman last year 2 the in car cams are scary.When they hit the wall and ya see a guy slumped over like that ya kinda crap yourself at first then ya see his head jerk up and start moving ya think whew.It doesnt take much to break a neck and a guys toast.Thank god nascar fix that Dill. Clay.
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#73 Apr 18, 2008
Clayton wrote:
<quoted text>Ya Reuitiman last year 2 the in car cams are scary.When they hit the wall and ya see a guy slumped over like that ya kinda crap yourself at first then ya see his head jerk up and start moving ya think whew.It doesnt take much to break a neck and a guys toast.Thank god nascar fix that Dill. Clay.
And, the soft walls, too. They showed the man on one of the Nascar programs out west somewhere, either Arizona or Nevada I believe, who came up with the softer walls. Terrific invention!!

Boris Said told everyone Reuti would be hurting all over like crazy. David said oh, he would take some Tylenol and Boris was like, sure, that will work. yeah, right! Boris said he has awakened in the intensive care unit so many times and the pain all over was unreal.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#74 Apr 18, 2008
I believe I read that dale's thoughts on the HANS device was that "It was for p*ssies"

Regardless, I personally dont think that a HANS device would have helped Dale in his accident as much as up-to-date belts that were installed correctly that wouldnt break.

Not to be morbid or gross, but if you get in your car and drive it into a concrete was at say, 50mph, half strapped in, your gonna be pretty messed up.
Dillinger wrote:
<quoted text>
Menards, you are a lot smarter with Nascar than I am, can I ask you a question that keeps popping up regarding Dale's accident? I also keep hearing that Dale did not like using the Hans device, which at the time I understand was not mandetory. Do you believe besides the seatbelt issue, not using the Hans device also was a factor?
I understand it was Ken Schrader who got out of his car and took Dale's window netting down. DW was watching him and said he saw Kenny's hands go up and back. I wonder what exactly it was he saw. Not trying to be morbid or gross. To make Ken do that, well....it will be 2 years soon that I got into Nascar, so I am still asking questions. I never got to enjoy Dale's driving. I can only do it now watching Nascar Classics.
Mopar1

United States

#75 Apr 18, 2008
They are not sure if his seat belt broke but is you know please tell me

AOL

#76 Apr 18, 2008
Dillinger wrote:
<quoted text>
Dill - email me with any questions. I'll explain why.

Hope your day was good:-)

Just LOVELY out here in the desert today. Sunny - as usual. Warm - for now. Calm winds - also, for now!

Just a gorgeous, chamber or commerce day!
topherstarr

Seminole, TX

#77 May 16, 2008
It was Geoffrey, not Todd
Dillinger

Miami, FL

#78 May 16, 2008
fan of all wrote:
<quoted text>
Dill - email me with any questions. I'll explain why.
Hope your day was good:-)
Just LOVELY out here in the desert today. Sunny - as usual. Warm - for now. Calm winds - also, for now!
Just a gorgeous, chamber or commerce day!
I finally read this. Slower than snail...sheez.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Harmon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deputies: 7 stolen vehicles seized from NASCAR ... (May '13) May '13 Community Disorga... 2
News Stolen trailer sparks NASCAR feud (May '13) May '13 lol 1
News NASCAR driver arrested for stealing another dri... (May '13) May '13 dick 1
News Jennifer Jo Cobb looks to run a full NASCAR Tru... (Jan '10) Sep '10 Rabman 5
News Woman Faces Felony Charges In Fatal Hit and Run... (Dec '09) Dec '09 HUH 4
News YOUTH SPORTS: Area swimmers to face elite compe... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Chris Harmon 2
News Driver arrested in buggy fatality (Nov '08) Nov '08 Whoyakidding 2
More from around the web