20-year-old Bayne wins the Daytona 500

20-year-old Bayne wins the Daytona 500

There are 8 comments on the Fresno Bee story from Feb 20, 2011, titled 20-year-old Bayne wins the Daytona 500. In it, Fresno Bee reports that:

Twenty-year-old Trevor Bayne won the Daytona 500 in only his second Sprint Cup start on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fresno Bee.

Joonyer Not

Anderson, IN

#1 Feb 20, 2011
Ah Joonyer blows another one. Race I mean.
MrHendrick

Mays Landing, NJ

#2 Feb 20, 2011
Joonyer Not wrote:
Ah Joonyer blows another one. Race I mean.
He got spun out, but he was running good. Hope he has a good year and makes the Chase.
Joonyer Not

Anderson, IN

#3 Feb 20, 2011
MrHendrick wrote:
<quoted text>
He got spun out, but he was running good. Hope he has a good year and makes the Chase.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHOHOHOHEHEHE HEHEHEHEHE THE ONLY THING HE'S GONNA CHASE IS HIS TAIL.
Doctor Skeep

Tucson, AZ

#4 Feb 20, 2011
Can someone tell me why Jeenyer is so popular while guys with way more driving talent are virtually ignored? Is it the name? The shy, aw-shucks demeanor? Or is it the Bush Effect: we tend to like people who appear dumber than we are and dislike people who appear smarter?

Unfortunately, this suggests that NASCAR fans aren't in it for the driving skill, but for the spectacle, the church-like opening ceremony rituals, the almost-cartoon-like crashes. How else to explain the continuing, overwhelming popularity of this mediocre driver?
MrHendrick

Mays Landing, NJ

#5 Feb 20, 2011
Doctor Skeep wrote:
Can someone tell me why Jeenyer is so popular while guys with way more driving talent are virtually ignored? Is it the name? The shy, aw-shucks demeanor? Or is it the Bush Effect: we tend to like people who appear dumber than we are and dislike people who appear smarter?

Unfortunately, this suggests that NASCAR fans aren't in it for the driving skill, but for the spectacle, the church-like opening ceremony rituals, the almost-cartoon-like crashes. How else to explain the continuing, overwhelming popularity of this mediocre driver?
Of course it's the name and the connection to Big E. But he's also a nice, humble guy who's won a fair number of races. People expect too much of him and his skill level. There's a lot more to Nascar than Jr nation. Anyone who keeps dwelling on that and conspiracy theories doesn't know sh** about racing and should just keep watching Gossip Girls instead of posing as a real fan.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#6 Feb 20, 2011
MrHendrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it's the name and the connection to Big E. But he's also a nice, humble guy who's won a fair number of races. People expect too much of him and his skill level. There's a lot more to Nascar than Jr nation. Anyone who keeps dwelling on that and conspiracy theories doesn't know sh** about racing and should just keep watching Gossip Girls instead of posing as a real fan.
Great post, Mr. H. At least one other fan has his head on straight.
Doctor Skeep

Tucson, AZ

#7 Feb 20, 2011
MrHendrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, MrHendrick. But I wonder what about the connection to Senior, who only won Most Popular Driver once -- the year he died. Bill Elliott won it 16 times, including the years before and after Senior's death. Bobby Allison won it 8 times. Richard Petty won it 8 times. But these where all winning drivers. Why does Jeenyer, who looks like he'll never be a winning driver, win it 8 times (and counting)?

Maybe the connection with Senior is the Ronnie Rayguns effect: after they're dead, we think they're wonderful.
Alex

Miami, FL

#8 Feb 20, 2011
Daytona sucks now. It's all about drafting not like the old style. If you dont have a team mate your going to dead last. I loved the old style.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Garvey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sporting Newsa 60 Most Beautiful People: No. 26... (Feb '09) Nov '14 Crystal from Surry 8
News Brienne Davis -- Most current Information (Apr '08) Apr '14 bisdead 18
News Edwards on crutches with broken foot but plans ... (Sep '09) Apr '13 hello 6
News NASCAR puts list of banned substances in rules (Jan '10) Jul '12 James postick 5
News Tandem drafting not what it's cracked up to be (Apr '11) Apr '12 Ezra D 5
News NASCAR: Robert Pressley anxious for Kingsport S... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Tim Abernathy 1
News NASCAR Star Kyle Busch And Dawsonville's Chase ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Rabman 2
More from around the web