COLUMN: The Drama NASCAR Needed

COLUMN: The Drama NASCAR Needed

There are 3 comments on the Http story from Oct 25, 2010, titled COLUMN: The Drama NASCAR Needed. In it, Http reports that:

NASCAR fans and media types have spent the past few weeks fretting about numbers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Http.

SWard

Long Beach, CA

#1 Oct 25, 2010
Good read, my friend!! Its just a shame that the future of stockcar racing lays firmly on one drivers back. Its also a shame that he is not competitive, Martinsville was by far his best run in a good long while. Now dont git me wrong, Im a rowdy supporter of Jr, Ill stand by him just like I did his dad, its just that it was a little easier with his dad, the reasons are obvious, his dad won races!! The way I see it, the boys upstairs, we all know who they are, kept that perverbial thumb pressed hard on everything that went on in NASCAR, really intrusive at times, they see the mistake but maybe its to late to fix it. Im an old man, I saw NASCAR at its best and Ive seen it at its worse, the good days were the days when we had multipule winners in a season, fuedin and fightin and even the not so rich teams would pull one off every now and again, that was good racin! Cmon Mr Hendrick, git Jr up to snuff, our sport depends on it!!!!
Bob R

Katy, TX

#2 Oct 25, 2010
I heard no "roar of the crowd" in fact, I was hard pressed to even see the "crowd" dotted here and there on the more than half-empty grandstands. If that is what NASCAR needs more of, the sport is in real trouble.

NASCAR needs to consider that it may be the Jr hype that is killing NASCAR. More than one fan pinned their hopes on him and gave up on the sport when they saw they were just wasting their time backing someone who doesn't even try to be competitive.
SWard

Long Beach, CA

#3 Oct 28, 2010
Bob R wrote:
I heard no "roar of the crowd" in fact, I was hard pressed to even see the "crowd" dotted here and there on the more than half-empty grandstands. If that is what NASCAR needs more of, the sport is in real trouble.
NASCAR needs to consider that it may be the Jr hype that is killing NASCAR. More than one fan pinned their hopes on him and gave up on the sport when they saw they were just wasting their time backing someone who doesn't even try to be competitive.
Good point.......that the Jr hype is whats killin NASCAR, I doubt it, many of Jrs fans were his dads fans, thats a lot of fans, then you got the folks that just like Jr, just because. He is the fan favorite by far. And thats a testament to NASCAR fans and the loyalty they have for their driver, win or lose. No doubt its strange that Jrs winless streak hasnt cost him anything in the fan dept, now its likley some folks pull for him in pity, seems like he cant lose with his fan base but just cant buy a win on the track. I firmly think that Jrs turn of fate into a winning year would certainly fill more seats in the stands, it would benefit many, including folks in concessions right up to Mr Frances office, folks are tired of the Jimmy Johnson and Kyle Busch story, its even refreshing to see Denny Hamlin in the great run hes having trying to be the man to stop Jimmys domain as champ. But whats NASCAR to do, fix races???? That would be a quick death to stockcar racin for sure. We dont want that so Im guessin the other teams need to step it up and beat the 48 team outright, if it happens to be the 88 team, NASCAR will prosper!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Garvey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sporting Newsa 60 Most Beautiful People: No. 26... (Feb '09) Nov '14 Crystal from Surry 8
News Brienne Davis -- Most current Information (Apr '08) Apr '14 bisdead 18
News Edwards on crutches with broken foot but plans ... (Sep '09) Apr '13 hello 6
News NASCAR puts list of banned substances in rules (Jan '10) Jul '12 James postick 5
News Tandem drafting not what it's cracked up to be (Apr '11) Apr '12 Ezra D 5
News NASCAR: Robert Pressley anxious for Kingsport S... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Tim Abernathy 1
News NASCAR Star Kyle Busch And Dawsonville's Chase ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Rabman 2
More from around the web