Race report from GoPOS
wallbanger

Xenia, OH

#1 Feb 24, 2013
I know it has been a while, goPOS; but, we would really all enjoy reading one of those always-interest and insightfull race reports from POS's #26 ride, today.

Now, don't be shy, as, I know BigEE, Dill, chrisco, Blowzo, Dr. Dave, Lisper, Terry and others need a good laugh, after JJ's win, today.

It was quite refreshing to hear the idiot-brother, JAWS, didn't have too much to gloat-over, concerning POS's performance, today.....or should we say, lack of performance.

What the Hell happened to POS? Did that mighty TuRD lay-down on him, today? He was very lucky, as without all of those blown TuRD's from "Tokyo" Joe' boys and the wrecked Fords, he would have even finished further back, today! LMFAO!

At leat "Mummy" did bend-up that Aaron's (Wet) Dream-Machine, did he Blowzo?

HAHAHA & 10-4!

Now, goPOS, let's get pounding that keyboard.

“Let them hate, Drive More Mike”

Since: May 08

Waltrip fans! An Army of One!

#2 Feb 24, 2013
I don't know what happened to be honest. It's been awhile. I have my own idea what "might" have happened but I'm just guessing at this point. So, I'll tell you the race as I seen it...

Mike started the 500 and proceeded to hang around the back and just make laps to start the race. I presume he was avoiding what he thought was going to be a crash and wanted to see how his car was handling. After the first caution, he started mixing it up a bit and was running in the 20's - low 30's most of the time. Looked comfortable for the most part. And as we neared half way, I think Mike made the move that determined his fate in the race. He didn't pit under caution when he could/should have and instead took track position and was restarting 1st and led I think 4 laps under caution. This all would have been fine should they rode around awhile and then caught a caution and pitted with the leaders. Instead, as we often see when you commit like this, there were no cautions and as he ran 6th for what seemed like forever, he finally had to break away from the lead draft and pit by himself. The car looked great up front like he was just biding time and waiting for a caution. It just wasn't to be. He ran out of gas before those around him and had to pit. From there, I don't know what happened. The car wasn't never the same. I wondered for awhile if he was a lap or laps down. Instead, he was either last on the lead lap or next to last. I noticed he wasn't losing much time not being involved in the lead draft and I thought everything was going to be okay. I realized something was REALLY wrong during the next restart when coming to the green, Mike wasn't tucked up against the lead pack and when the Green flew, he was looking very slow and cars passed him left and right. Once up to speed, I assume he drafted with another lone car or two and again, I didn't notice his interval times slipping that much not being in the draft. I wondered/hoped if it was just a bad restart and hoped for another yellow. When that finally came again, I noticed a repeat performance of the previous yellow and green restart of not tucking behind the lead pack when it was time to restart and started slow and then when everyone was up to speed, he sort of didn't lose much time but was already down a good 20 - 25 seconds once he was up to speed. So I am "Assuming" something was wrong with the car, and I'm wondering if he lost a gear like 2nd or 3rd and it took his car a long time getting up to speed compensating for that loss. Because once it was up to speed, it seemed to run okay. Just already lost the draft by 10-20 seconds. So, I am "assuming" the car was injured and it affected speed during restarts. I haven't read a confirmation anywhere, but I wonder if it was a lost gear? Would love to know. I'm pretty sure the car was wounded. All in all, a respectable 22nd place showing. No embarrassments or gaffs, but disappointing not challenging at all once he pitted out of sequence with the leaders and then looking broke from then on. I guess you can find humor in that. I found it irritating that his car just wasn't up to speed anymore. The bigger embarrassment to me was the race. What a snoozer? No one could pass all week. 200 laps of follow the leader is no fun and doesn't showcase anyone's drafting talents. The Nationwide and Truck race was much more entertaining. Heck, this race made Danica look legit. All she had to do was stay in line the whole race. The finish seemed like a bunch of wusses. No one mixed it up heading to the checkers. It was just Jimmy saying follow me boys. Embarrassing. Although I missed the race report, I thought last fall's Talladega race was robbed for us by Tony Stewart. But that's a missed report. As it is, disappointing race for Mike at Daytona. No one looked impressive to me and Mikey looked less than good with a car I know had something wrong with it. There you go. My 1st race report in over a season. Hope you enjoyed it Wall.
wallbanger

Xenia, OH

#3 Feb 25, 2013
Hey, goPOS, great to see you around here, once again!

Thanks for the informative report. I tried to listen to POS on RaceView; but, as usual, JAPCAR was having a load of technical-issues with their "product"!

From what I could hear on scanner, it originally sounded like an engine-issue; as, there may have been a power-loss? He kept telling the CC he couldn't smell any oil fumes in the car. I remember he said that some of the front-runners could just blow right by him (maybe Danica or Biffle?)

I'll agree about the "boring"! Laps upon laps of follow-the-leader-snooze-fest. It will be interesting to see how the races run on other tracks, like Phoenix. I cannot believe these Gen 6 cars could be even more boring than the Camry of Tomorrow, could they? We will see.

NHRA and Rolex is looking better every season, as is Cup-Lite & Truck Series.

Don't be a stranger around here.

10-4!

#4 Feb 25, 2013
Yeah, I'm still looking for a Confirmation of what was wrong with the car because I know something was. When he was restarting around 24th or 25th, when there was around 50 laps to go, I knew Mike still had a chance to do something good. Instead he hung like 5 car lengths away from the pack like he knew he was going to be a hindrance to others. I always keep my eye on Mike and the cars in the back were just passing him like he was standing still. I thought he was going to make a lap and head to the garage. But I think once he was up to speed, he was okay. It was just the restarts that looked bad. Unfortunately, he was losing 10-25 seconds getting up to speed and finding a draft partner to just ride around with. That is disappointing.

I always feel like when Mike goes to Daytona/Talladega, he has a great chance to win IF he doesn't crash, blow a tire, run out of gas or have an engine problem. I'll blame this one on some kind of engine problem. And in that sense, I feel robbed. I wasn't happy when he stayed out under yellow. It was a gutsy move that could have payed off. If the caution would have come out while he was up front, he could have been sitting pretty and might have been a real contender. But it just felt like the time of the race where we were going to have a long Green flag run. And we did. So I didn't like it when he stayed out. I felt it was going to bite him and it did.

On the other hand, maybe he knew his car wasn't up to snuff. That underfunded team he did a favor for probably didn't have much to compete with. So maybe, they knew it wasn't going to hold up and in situations like that, Mike has a tendency to stay out and lead a lap or two just to say he led a few laps.

I don't think the race was either an embarrassment nor a confirmation of Mike. I do think he took what he had and made the most of it. I do think he did a good job. But it's no fun for me to see Mike running with a wounded duck.

I again refer back to Talladega because I didn't do a report all last year and I should have. But I think Mike was going to win that race. He had such a run coming out of turn 4. He was the fastest car and was going low to overtake Stewart. He would have came out of that the leader and the victor. I am convinced. But Stewart took a left and crashed the whole field. That one pissed me off. Because that is the Mike I know. The one that when nothing bad happens and he has a decent car, he's going to be there at the end on a restrictor plate track. Yeah, I know, he ain't jack anywhere else. But I think he's one of the best at RP tracks. And I always like our chances if he has a good car. I think he proved it on that race. That was win #5 coming to the checkers and Stewart took us out. I'm still mad about it.

Anyway, I don't know why but I thought I would take a look over here and see what I saw. Ole Wall is still here but it looks pretty slow around here man. People don't seem to be here anymore. I guess since he's been gone from being full time, people are forgetting about him and their hatred for Mike.

I am still a Michael Waltrip fan and have been since 1994. I'm proud of him. Yeah, he wasn't the talent that other drivers are but he had his moments. And the MWR team that was the laughing stock of Nascar is now becoming a legit contender. I'm proud of Mike and his team for hanging in there. It's what I liked about him as a racer and now a team owner.

I'd love to see Mike get 1 more win at a RP track. I look forward to Talladega, but they need to bring a better package to deal with the air wall at the front. If they can do that and give Mike a piece to run with, I think he can win 1 more. And if he does, I ain't afraid to admit it wall. I'm going to shed a few tears. Because when you stay with an underdog for so long and they finally come through...Nothing feels better.

10-4???

#5 Feb 25, 2013
Just got done reading the transcript over at MikeyNoPower. It seems like the timing of an engine problem was about right when I said it was. After pitting by themselves while being with the lead group. Tony Eury Jr came on the radio and asked if they were blowing up? Mike said it sounded funny when they left the pits and lost power. Questioned whether they were down a cylinder and one time mentioned missing a gear "But I didn't miss a shift" Mike stated.

Mike stayed calm and thankful to others for drafting with him. Him and other wounded ducks. They made the most of a bad situation. Mike expressed sadness over not being to race a few times. "Man, I really wanted to race". He also mentioned once or twice that he didn't like the follow the leader action. "Man, I hope we mix it up some. This is the Daytona 500 man!".

I'll look forward to him back in a MWR car at Talladega. Too bad he can't bring Tony Eury Jr with him.
Tommy

Lexington, KY

#6 Feb 25, 2013
Wasn't he driving a FORD? Can't blame Mikey for the finish, just the car!

Your local drive-by

Hi ya'll. Been awhile, I've been working too much, but it pays the bills, right Wall?
ol wall

Xenia, OH

#7 Feb 25, 2013
Tommy wrote:
Wasn't he driving a FORD? Can't blame Mikey for the finish, just the car!
Your local drive-by
Hi ya'll. Been awhile, I've been working too much, but it pays the bills, right Wall?
Tommy, great to see you around here! Hope you are doing well. What are you hearing from Jack (Roush)? Don't you work with him?

Did you get yourself a Ford F-150, yet? Just kiddin' ya!
Great to hear from you!

10-4!!
Dillinger

Hialeah, FL

#8 Feb 27, 2013
ol wall wrote:
<quoted text>
Tommy, great to see you around here! Hope you are doing well. What are you hearing from Jack (Roush)? Don't you work with him?
Did you get yourself a Ford F-150, yet? Just kiddin' ya!
Great to hear from you!
10-4!!
Banger, after i get rid of mom's Rave4, gonna go look at the new Ford Mustang. What do you think?
wallbanger

Xenia, OH

#9 Feb 27, 2013
Dillinger wrote:
<quoted text>
Banger, after i get rid of mom's Rave4, gonna go look at the new Ford Mustang. What do you think?
I was thinking more along the lines of an F-150 for you, Dill. Just don't run-over any of those Cubans you work with!

10-4?
Freakster

Wapakoneta, OH

#10 Feb 28, 2013
I'm going back into my cave now...let me know when POS is back behind the wheel of the graverobbermobile.

Later

“Sweet Ride or what!!!!!”

Since: Mar 08

Winnipeg

#11 Feb 28, 2013
F-150 ? DD does that come ith a step ladder, Dill is like 4 and a half feet in steleto's and her mom must be at least 5" shorter?

Throw in a Boaster seat as well make that a twin in case mom drives Dill to Target!

GoPOS, Mike had the same problem as the 56, down one cylinder. Now we all know that a V7 isnt as good as V-eight on any Given Sunday.

The standings reflect who had a problem and the 56 was right behind the 26.

Talk about the most boring race in years! All the talking heads threw at us all day was Danica, there was nothing else until that 48 won, not sure what was worse.

#12 Feb 28, 2013
That's probably a tie 55. Well no, I think it was worse that the race was boring. Because no one up front could get out of line. I believe if that had been one of those RP races where people pass constantly up front, I doubt Danica would have finished 8th. I'd feel more comfortable believing she would have ended up around 25th or so in that kind of a plate race. She really didn't mix it up at all. Then again, she didn't need to. The race called for staying in line and she did. And she had a stout car evident by the fact it won the pole. So no need to step out because her car drove like a wet dream. Let's see if they fix this aero package by Talladega and see how Danica does in that. I hated 2 car drafting partners terribly, but it's impossible to believe, this was far worse. Did anyone see the trucks or Nationwide series? That was 100 times better.
wallbanger

Xenia, OH

#13 Feb 28, 2013
gowaltrip wrote:
That's probably a tie 55. Well no, I think it was worse that the race was boring. Because no one up front could get out of line. I believe if that had been one of those RP races where people pass constantly up front, I doubt Danica would have finished 8th. I'd feel more comfortable believing she would have ended up around 25th or so in that kind of a plate race. She really didn't mix it up at all. Then again, she didn't need to. The race called for staying in line and she did. And she had a stout car evident by the fact it won the pole. So no need to step out because her car drove like a wet dream. Let's see if they fix this aero package by Talladega and see how Danica does in that. I hated 2 car drafting partners terribly, but it's impossible to believe, this was far worse. Did anyone see the trucks or Nationwide series? That was 100 times better.
I agree....the trucks, Cup-Lite and ARCA were better races. Even the Rolex was a better race. Interesting to see what happens at Phoenix with the G6 rides.
Tommy

Lexington, KY

#14 Mar 2, 2013
Unfortunately, Jack is no longer with us. He had a rough couple of years. His 2nd eldest was killed in a tractor accident on the farm and his wife of 35yrs died of breast cancer last Spring. He retired early and moved to Wyoming in August. I think he has a small ranch, running cattle. He is a great guy, real smart. Maybe he'll surprise us one of these days and say hi. Anyway, friends come and friends go. Hope ya'll are doing okay.

BTW,Are we still waiting for it?

The Toys are going to kick azz this season!!
wallbanger

Xenia, OH

#15 Mar 3, 2013
Tommy wrote:
Unfortunately, Jack is no longer with us. He had a rough couple of years. His 2nd eldest was killed in a tractor accident on the farm and his wife of 35yrs died of breast cancer last Spring. He retired early and moved to Wyoming in August. I think he has a small ranch, running cattle. He is a great guy, real smart. Maybe he'll surprise us one of these days and say hi. Anyway, friends come and friends go. Hope ya'll are doing okay.
BTW,Are we still waiting for it?
The Toys are going to kick azz this season!!
Sorry to hear about Jack (Roush). I hope he is able to find some happiness in WY. I am sure this is most difficult, after suffering two losses from his family.

Thanks for the information.

10-4?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Waltrip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HOW THE DODGE BOYS CHEATED; Mid 90s NHRA (Jun '08) Jul '16 boring pro-stock 21
No POS at Daytona? Jun '16 ol wall 1
POS running Dega? May '16 ol wall 3
What-the-Hell was that at Daytona today? (Feb '16) Mar '16 flying1b 4
POS makes more JAP-scrap (Feb '16) Feb '16 WaltripFreakShow 6
Is POS running in the 2016 Dayton 500? (Jan '16) Feb '16 ol wall 2
One, last, big-pile of....JAP-Scrap (Nov '15) Jan '16 ol wall 3
More from around the web