When Jimmie Johnson Is No Longer No. 1, How Is He Going to Handle It?

Dec 13, 2009 | Posted by: The New Twenty | Full story: bleacherreport.com

All good things must come to an end and Jimmie Johnson knows that. "This stuff isn't going to last forever." After winning four straight championships, he knows that one day he won't be at the top of the sport and that there will come a day when he's not the one hoisting the championship trophy in Miami.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
barr

Temperance, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

When he clearly loses his position as the best NASCAR driver he should retire. And I think he might. What will he have to race for?
The Fat and the Furious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2009

Judged:

What a useless article. He'll handle losing the title the same way he handled it in the past, with dignity. Sure, he won't be happy about it. I'd be worried about any driver who would be happy about losing, but he's already proven to be a classy guy both in victory and defeat. It's inevitable that someone else will win and I'm sure Jimmie realizes that as much as every other drive who's ever been a favorite to win it. You move on and try again next year and I'm sure that will be the attitude on the 48 team.

Jimmie will be competitive for many years to come and that's really all you can ask for as a driver. You can't win them all, no matter how talented you are or how great your team may be. Jimmie has tasted both victory and defeat and that makes you stronger and more able to handle both. Richard Petty couldn't win them all, neither could Dale Sr. or David Pearson or Jeff Gordon and they all realized that, just as I'm sure that Jimmie does. They all handled it just fine and I'm sure Jimmie will as well.

Sometimes being knocked off the pedestal just remotivates you to come out and prove your still as good as you always were. That's what keeps the greats of Nascar competitive over all those years. You always have to prove yourself, because there're always guys out there who can take it from you and sooner or later, one of them will. When that happens, it becomes your job to than take it from him.

Jimmie has never shown me that he's anything but motivated in defeat. If anything, he's shown me that defeat is something that makes him work even harder. The fact that he came so close to winning it all, but was denied and than came back to win 4 straight pretty much says it all. That shows you how a guy handles defeat. He learns and ends up being even better in the end because of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mark Martin Discussions

Search the Mark Martin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Steve Addington scratching head over release fr... Dec '13 snow 8
No monster mash for Martin (Oct '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 21
Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
Tony Stewart to miss rest of 2013 season; Mark ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 KARMA THE CLOWN 1
Time to retire!!!!!!! (Aug '13) Aug '13 95 Thunderbird 1
5 Potential Sleepers That Could Steal the 2013 ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bob 3
Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin Battle for Record F... (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••