Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick Motorsports?

Mar 6, 2010 Full story: www.helium.com 83

You can only imagine the things that must have gone through the mind of Dale Earnhardt Jr during those months when so much speculation was being bandied about in the media about whether or not he would return to DEI for his next contract, or go the free agent route and open himself up to the highest bidder.

Full Story
X Jr Fan

Dayton, TN

#41 Mar 19, 2010
The man was 3 wrote:
Its real simple,Jr will leave hendrick,and go to childers,and bet your money,the number 3 car will be his..
I recently visited DEi,in Mooresville,a chain and lock was on the gate to dale's home,no business at all at DEi,except a gift shop,to bad..dale Sr was the man,and I am proud to say I knew him and his family,including Martha his mother,and ralph his dad..
The man
<quoted text>
that's exactly what childress needs. Jr has already ruined the family name and now he needs to drive the #3 and run it in the ground too
X Jr Fan

Dayton, TN

#42 Mar 19, 2010
hfv688 wrote:
<quoted text>Because Childress was able to handle his father and he wouldnt take any shit form him.Hendrick is to nice Dale needs someone to kick his ass he has talent but not the will........
Jr is the highest paid driver in NASCAR, if that don't motivate a driver nothing will
Instigator

Chicago, IL

#43 Mar 19, 2010
No a better form of motivation would be to pay him based on a percentage of his winnings.
Unfortunately there is no incentive that can make up for a lack of talent. Based on his driving aptitude he doesn't qualify to deliver pizza

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44 Mar 19, 2010
Instigator wrote:
No a better form of motivation would be to pay him based on a percentage of his winnings.
Unfortunately there is no incentive that can make up for a lack of talent. Based on his driving aptitude he doesn't qualify to deliver pizza
I agree, the only thing Joonyer hasn't fu**ed up is the #3. He hasn't and will never earn the right to wear that number. If Nascar lets him race in the #3 I will NEVER attend or watch another race. If Joonyer ever even thought about wearing the #3 his ass should be thrashed. Delivering pizza is a good job for Joonyer, as long as he does not deliver to my house. I like my pizza cooked and delivered properly not 2 laps down with excuses why the pizza has anchovies when I didn't order them LMMFAO!!
Xtoc

United States

#45 May 24, 2014
Who benefits? Hendrick certainly benefits becuase the Earnhardt name sells. Jr benefits because why? Earnhardt name sells. Gotta give him credit..he is smart enough to surround himself with smarter people than himself to take advantahge of the brand. He sucks as a driver. He is an embarrasement, however, he is banking because ignorant yet loyal 3 fans are buying merchandise.
Hilton Head

Orange City, FL

#46 May 25, 2014
Xtoc wrote:
Who benefits? Hendrick certainly benefits becuase the Earnhardt name sells. Jr benefits because why? Earnhardt name sells. Gotta give him credit..he is smart enough to surround himself with smarter people than himself to take advantahge of the brand. He sucks as a driver. He is an embarrasement, however, he is banking because ignorant yet loyal 3 fans are buying merchandise.
Very accurate and well said.
JR is the Greatest

United States

#47 May 26, 2014
Xtoc wrote:
Jr will run the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 next year and show all you haters once and for all what a great driver he is.
ramfan9

Barre, VT

#48 May 29, 2014
Xtoc wrote:
I agree with MOST of what you said I just won't go as fasay Jr SUCKS as a driver. He is a decent at best driver who is way overrated because of his name but he HAS done some good things here and there.

As a Kasey Kahne fan I get irritated because Kasey has more wins with HMS than Jr. in less than a third of the time (and none of his wins were cheap plate wins or fuel mileage wins) and now his ride is supposedly in danger because they got off to a kind of slow start this year and Chase Elliott is tearing it up in NNS. Kasey's team has rebounded and they have the speed again the last month or so but now he's back to not being able to catch a break. On the flipside Hendrick resigned Jr to an extension when he was HORRIBLE and why? Becaus of the E-A-R-N-H-A-R-T name factor.
ramfan9

Barre, VT

#49 May 29, 2014
JR is the Greatest wrote:
<quoted text>
Jr will run the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 next year and show all you haters once and for all what a great driver he is.
I'll give you credit....it's pretty rare that someone says soemthing that is so beyond stupid to me that I really can't counter with any kind of lgical response....maybe I could some of whatever you're on......
WWE CRASHCAR 2014

Florham Park, NJ

#50 May 29, 2014
ramfan9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you credit....it's pretty rare that someone says soemthing that is so beyond stupid to me that I really can't counter with any kind of lgical response....maybe I could some of whatever you're on......
Why would you expect anything intelligent from Jr Nation? Most Jr fans are mindless minions!

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#51 Jun 2, 2014
ramfan9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with MOST of what you said I just won't go as fasay Jr SUCKS as a driver. He is a decent at best driver who is way overrated because of his name but he HAS done some good things here and there.
As a Kasey Kahne fan I get irritated because Kasey has more wins with HMS than Jr. in less than a third of the time (and none of his wins were cheap plate wins or fuel mileage wins) and now his ride is supposedly in danger because they got off to a kind of slow start this year and Chase Elliott is tearing it up in NNS. Kasey's team has rebounded and they have the speed again the last month or so but now he's back to not being able to catch a break. On the flipside Hendrick resigned Jr to an extension when he was HORRIBLE and why? Becaus of the E-A-R-N-H-A-R-T name factor.
Or Maybe because the 88 as a whole has improved with Letarte, Now I hope He can continue the improvement with his new crew chief
flatt

Madison, WI

#52 Jun 5, 2014
ramfan9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Gordon has talked about retirement.
Hendrick would be wise to look at Chase to run #24 in a year or two, getting rid of Kahne wouldn't be a smart move.
I think Hendrick has a record of making smart moves.
WWE CRASHCAR 2014

Florham Park, NJ

#53 Jun 6, 2014
JohnnyDeppfan2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or Maybe because the 88 as a whole has improved with Letarte, Now I hope He can continue the improvement with his new crew chief
I still want to know why Steve Letarte bailing on old Jr; maybe he doesn't want to be part of the big fixer anymore.
ramfan9

Barre, VT

#54 Jun 9, 2014
flatt wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember Gordon has talked about retirement.
Hendrick would be wise to look at Chase to run #24 in a year or two, getting rid of Kahne wouldn't be a smart move.
I think Hendrick has a record of making smart moves.
That I agree with 100%. Gordon is the past of HMS and Jimmie is the present. Kasey is the near future and Chase will be the driver the team is built around for the next generation. I predict Gordon will retire after next season and you will see Chase in the 24 (unless RPM is willing to give up the 9 for him) especially since I don't think Gordon will stick around with his sore back and all if there is the added factor of it being in the best interest of the organization to step down. There is no question that he has earned the right to run that car as long as he wants but as a part owner of the team I just don't see that happning.
annie

Harrisonburg, VA

#55 Jun 9, 2014
WWE CRASHCAR 2014 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you expect anything intelligent from Jr Nation? Most Jr fans are mindless minions!
Hope the love you have for Dale Jr and Dale Jr fans return to you three fold!! Have a wonderful day!!
WWE CRASHCAR 2014

Florham Park, NJ

#56 Jun 12, 2014
annie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope the love you have for Dale Jr and Dale Jr fans return to you three fold!! Have a wonderful day!!
Thanks Annie; God Bless you!
ramfan9

Barre, VT

#57 Jun 13, 2014
WWE CRASHCAR 2014 wrote:
<quoted text>
I still want to know why Steve Letarte bailing on old Jr; maybe he doesn't want to be part of the big fixer anymore.
LOL....I will not say it was fixed this week....I just say what a bone-head move by Brad K. He already has a win and is most likely in The Chase...why not just run it to the end to see if it holds up instead of trying to get the paper off the grill? Credit to Jr for being there to capitalize though and I will give credt to nascar.com for admitting it was a "steal." They all count the same but man Jr seems to have the best luck when he wins.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#58 Jul 6, 2014
" They all count the same", I couldn't have said it better myself. Strange how a man with no driving talent is second in points with two wins and is the only driver within a full race worth of points to the leader who is "yesterday's" driver. What a crowd of clueless dumbasses some of you people are. "Flatt" was right, Rick Hendrick does make smart decisions. If Kasey continues to run the way he has, whether it's really his fault or not, he's the odd man out because he doesn't have a sponsor that is really tied to him and unless something drastic happens, Chase can bring along NAPA, no problem. Jeff isn't going any where any time soon unless his back becomes unbearable. The 24 team is jelled and are the most competitive its been in several years. Kasey isn't any ones driver of the future. he's a driver on his way out of a ride at HMS if he doesn't put something together quick.
ramfan9

Barre, VT

#59 Jul 8, 2014
Whoyakidding wrote:
" They all count the same", I couldn't have said it better myself. Strange how a man with no driving talent is second in points with two wins and is the only driver within a full race worth of points to the leader who is "yesterday's" driver. What a crowd of clueless dumbasses some of you people are. "Flatt" was right, Rick Hendrick does make smart decisions. If Kasey continues to run the way he has, whether it's really his fault or not, he's the odd man out because he doesn't have a sponsor that is really tied to him and unless something drastic happens, Chase can bring along NAPA, no problem. Jeff isn't going any where any time soon unless his back becomes unbearable. The 24 team is jelled and are the most competitive its been in several years. Kasey isn't any ones driver of the future. he's a driver on his way out of a ride at HMS if he doesn't put something together quick.
Thereare some issues with what you are saying....first off Chase can't bring NAPA to the 5 "no problem" because Farmer's just signed an extenstion with the 5 to be PRIMARY sponsor through 2017. Also, Gordon hinself has said that he likely is going somewhere soon due to family obligations and his back. He has said right out that he NEVER intended to race well into his 40's. I fully expect him to retire after the 2015 season. Chase will not come up until at least then. If Gordon decides to keep going another year or two they will either leave Chase in NNS (then he would be a whopping 22-23 when he comes up OR if NAPA insists on him being in Cup I believe he will land the 41 car since Kurt Busch has been so bad this year (other than one win) and that car actually has no sponsor.
Bubba

Lowville, NY

#60 Jul 16, 2014
do you remember who ran the 5 a few year ago , Kyle Busch , and even with wins he was sent packing HMS is about winning and popularity , look at Danica so so driver , but a money pit ... Kahne is a good driver , but there is more money in Elliott , so if there is a change it will be the # 5 ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mark Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve Addington scratching head over release fr... (Nov '13) Dec '13 snow 8
No monster mash for Martin (Oct '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 21
Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
Tony Stewart to miss rest of 2013 season; Mark ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 KARMA THE CLOWN 1
Time to retire!!!!!!! (Aug '13) Aug '13 95 Thunderbird 1
5 Potential Sleepers That Could Steal the 2013 ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bob 3
Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin Battle for Record F... (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 2

Mark Martin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE