Commentary: What's wrong with Dale Jr.?

May 10, 2009 Read more: Pensacola News Journal 84
Not that we belong to the "kick-him-while-he's-down" school of sports writing - heaven knows there's enough members already - but just what in blazes is wrong with Dale Earnhardt Jr.? There are several schools of thought. Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Chelle

Philadelphia, PA

#1 May 12, 2009
I became of fan of Dalebugs when he handled the death of his Father under such terrible grief, and pressure from the press,like a real man and still managed to continue to race each week. He is a very down to earth person, who says what he thinks,and has alot of respect for other drivers. I think he has so much pressure on him to perform that it has to be hard to get out there each week and do what he loves to do, and that is to be a darn good racecar driver!
jason88

AOL

#2 May 13, 2009
If I was Jr. then I would find the glass half empty. He didn't go to Hendrick just to barely make the chase. He went there to win races and contend for championships. If he makes the chase and finishes 12th again then so what. He went to Hendrick to get to where Jimmy and Jeff are right now and he's not even close to being there even in the same equipment.

Some people will chalk up last year as a transition year but there are no excuses this year. Stewart and Newman in Hendrick satellite cars are both higher in the points than Jr. is right now. 50 year old Mark Martin already has a win and three poles in his short time driving for Hendrick. Jr. has to start getting it done and fast. Because if he doesn't get it done this year then when will he?
I believe

Miami, FL

#3 May 20, 2009
The chemistry is not there give it time.
diesel88

United States

#4 May 25, 2009
today at cokeacola 600 dale jr started in the back and stayed there/whats up jr.he seems to be not to happy,every Hendrick car is running good besized jr,s car.dont u think all the cars should be allmost the same when running.we like to know whats realy wrong,does any body know
jarhead

Albany, NY

#5 May 25, 2009
stick a fork in both juniors there done!!! tony jr is a "MORON"!! and needs to breakawy if there's any hope!!!
texas Pete

Mansfield, OH

#6 May 25, 2009
Jr needs to come out of the closet
Richard Petersen

Huntington Beach, CA

#7 Jul 24, 2009
Hendrick is the problem. He is a good guy and all, but Dale is just not winning like Hendrick said he would. In my own opinion, Richard Childress is the best plase for Dale Jr. Richard is just as loyal to Junior as his daddy was loyal to Richard. Now I know Junior does not want to drive the #3, and i would hate to see it again, but it just breaks my heart not to see the #3 car in victory lane, where its suppost to be, with and Earnhardt behind the wheel.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#8 Jul 30, 2009
Why does something have to be "wrong" with Jr.? If he's already been to the top of his mountain, so what. Lance will put it together slowly and things will improve. If not, he'll still be the guy natured guy that everyone loves. Having the name Earnhardt didn't come with a guantee that he would be a multi-year champion or win 10 races a year.
Nascartoon

Oakland, CA

#9 Jul 30, 2009
Whoyakidding wrote:
Why does something have to be "wrong" with Jr.? If he's already been to the top of his mountain, so what. Lance will put it together slowly and things will improve. If not, he'll still be the guy natured guy that everyone loves. Having the name Earnhardt didn't come with a guantee that he would be a multi-year champion or win 10 races a year.
Exactly. If your a fan you want to see him do well, but it should never be a criteria to root for him. I've known life long fans of many drivers, who would die to see their driver be as competitive as Jr. has been at times. I know for sure he's better than where he currently sits in the standings. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy, which for my taste is always a good thing. I'm not a big fan of his, but I certainly don't have any reason to want to see him fail either. He'll get better than he's been this year and even if he doesn't, life will go on.
HOLLYWOOD

Lexington, IN

#10 Jul 30, 2009
he blows goats that's his problem
x jr fan

Dayton, TN

#11 Jul 31, 2009
Richard Petersen wrote:
Hendrick is the problem. He is a good guy and all, but Dale is just not winning like Hendrick said he would. In my own opinion, Richard Childress is the best plase for Dale Jr. Richard is just as loyal to Junior as his daddy was loyal to Richard. Now I know Junior does not want to drive the #3, and i would hate to see it again, but it just breaks my heart not to see the #3 car in victory lane, where its suppost to be, with and Earnhardt behind the wheel.
i'm glad Jr never went to RCR that would be a shame to watch the #3 missing the pits and blowing up all the time

Since: Jul 09

Gardenville, PA

#12 Jul 31, 2009
Whoyakidding wrote:
Why does something have to be "wrong" with Jr.? If he's already been to the top of his mountain, so what. Lance will put it together slowly and things will improve. If not, he'll still be the guy natured guy that everyone loves. Having the name Earnhardt didn't come with a guantee that he would be a multi-year champion or win 10 races a year.
Totally agree... Jr is Jr and yes it's been bad for 1.5 seasons, but improvement on certain things is now coming to light and I think Lance/Jr will win one (hopefully 2) before the end of the season.

Go Jr.
bubba

United States

#13 Jul 31, 2009
Jr. is the most overrated driver in the history of any sport. PERIOD. May he should trade rides with Danica. They have alot in common. They have each won one race in three yrs. by lucking into it with staying out on gas mileage, most popular in memorabilia sales, they both like guys, and Jr is in great equipement surrounded by the best people at Hendrick with a combined total of 8 cup championships in the past 14 yrs. The problem? Jr. There are no more excuses! None, nada,zip,zilch,zero,. Get it?
bubba

United States

#14 Jul 31, 2009
Richard Petersen wrote:
Hendrick is the problem. He is a good guy and all, but Dale is just not winning like Hendrick said he would. In my own opinion, Richard Childress is the best plase for Dale Jr. Richard is just as loyal to Junior as his daddy was loyal to Richard. Now I know Junior does not want to drive the #3, and i would hate to see it again, but it just breaks my heart not to see the #3 car in victory lane, where its suppost to be, with and Earnhardt behind the wheel.
If you think Hendrick is the problem, you must have missed all the times jr drove past his pit box, slid thru his pit box, over-revved the engine and blew it up, caused the "big one", all the while complaining "this car is junk". What am I missing? How is this Hendricks fault?
x jr fan

Dayton, TN

#15 Jul 31, 2009
bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think Hendrick is the problem, you must have missed all the times jr drove past his pit box, slid thru his pit box, over-revved the engine and blew it up, caused the "big one", all the while complaining "this car is junk". What am I missing? How is this Hendricks fault?
it is Hendricks fault, he should kept Kyle and let Jr go drive a Toyota for MWR
bubba

United States

#16 Jul 31, 2009
x jr fan wrote:
<quoted text>it is Hendricks fault, he should kept Kyle and let Jr go drive a Toyota for MWR
Have to agree with at least part of that. Hendrick made the biggest mistake of his career in hiring jr and letting KB go. How can anyone compare a winnng driver to a t-shirt salesman? Hendrick has no responsibility for jr's lack of driving ability, but the brain dead jr nation group will never admit it, the excuse list just grows every year. I am going to publish a book called "Excuses"...the life of a jr fan...

Since: Jul 09

Gardenville, PA

#17 Jul 31, 2009
x jr fan wrote:
<quoted text>it is Hendricks fault, he should kept Kyle and let Jr go drive a Toyota for MWR
Casey Mears and Kyles poor behaviour were the reasons Kyle was let go. Not Jr.

Since: Jul 09

Gardenville, PA

#18 Jul 31, 2009
bubba wrote:
Jr. is the most overrated driver in the history of any sport. PERIOD. May he should trade rides with Danica. They have alot in common. They have each won one race in three yrs. by lucking into it with staying out on gas mileage, most popular in memorabilia sales, they both like guys, and Jr is in great equipement surrounded by the best people at Hendrick with a combined total of 8 cup championships in the past 14 yrs. The problem? Jr. There are no more excuses! None, nada,zip,zilch,zero,. Get it?
NASCAR has many drivers that haven't won in more than 3 years. There are drivers who have won with gas mileage (Tony Stewart was the last one). There are drivers that have great equipment (denny hamlin) who also have not won in awhile.

Why aren't you taking a look at all of NASCAR, why do you jump on Jr?

Now if he was the ONLY one in NASCAR that hadn't won, won on gas mileage, etc, OK, but he's not.

Overrated by the media who put him on a pedestal, not by his fans how understand that he is human.

Since: Jul 09

Gardenville, PA

#19 Jul 31, 2009
bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think Hendrick is the problem, you must have missed all the times jr drove past his pit box, slid thru his pit box, over-revved the engine and blew it up, caused the "big one", all the while complaining "this car is junk". What am I missing? How is this Hendricks fault?
I agree that Hendrick is not the issue and Jr has to take responsibility for his actions that directly impacted his race.

Yes he did have pit box issues EARLY in the season and guess what, so have many other drivers. But I'll give you the point that no one else drove by their pit stall.

And no one at Hendricks has said what happened to the engine, was it overreved, or what. He assumed that it was him, because Hendrick engines are good. However, they did have several of them blow up earlier in the year. Jr also said that when he came into the pits he didn't do anything different than he had so many times in the past, but he was going to take on the responsibility of the engine failure, because, again, he said Hendricks engines don't fail.

And yes he was 1/2 the cause of the wreck at Daytona, but there have been plenty of wrecks by multiple other drivers since then and Jr has been caught up in those.

Finally, his comments about his car sucking have not been made since the last two races with Eury Jr and all of those since Lance. Many drivers say their car sucks, so let's try to be a bit more objective when bashing Jr. Comment on something that is directly his responsibility and no other driver has done it this year.

“Merry Christmas!!”

Since: Nov 07

Griffin, GA

#20 Jul 31, 2009
Everyone has bum years in any sport. Hendrick is not the problem. Look at Jeff, he has not won a lot of races lately, he did not even make the chase a few years back, but you don't see me leaving him as a fan because of that, a true fan does not do that. Jr has been through a lot in his life, give him a break. There is one thing that I have thought of and would like anyone to comment, that is do you think maybe Jr really does not want to be a Nascar driver? People can change their minds, it would very hard for him to leave as it would devestate many fans that he has. Maybe he has lost the interest in the sport that he once had, maybe his father's death did really effect him in ways none of us would understand or relate to? Watcha think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mark Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Second thoughts Mark Martin says no burnouts (May '08) Mar 23 stewart scott 13
News Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick ... (Mar '10) Aug '14 Uncle John Duckett 83
News Steve Addington scratching head over release fr... (Nov '13) Dec '13 snow 8
News No monster mash for Martin (Oct '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 21
News Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
News Tony Stewart to miss rest of 2013 season; Mark ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 KARMA THE CLOWN 1
Time to retire!!!!!!! (Aug '13) Aug '13 95 Thunderbird 1
More from around the web