Dale Jr.'s new crew chief eyes top-down review

May 28, 2009 | Posted by: Shut up n drive | Full story: abclocal.go.com

Lance McGrew, the man charged with turning Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s disastrous season around, didn't mince words Thursday when discussing his prospects and plans in replacing Tony Eury, Jr.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 31, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
joyce dover

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

thank God dale jr. got a new c.c. Sounds like he wont be taking any bossiness from jr. He will be firm and honest. From what I read HE IS THE ONE yes.Now lets race in dover Good Luck Dale your on your way
tx20fan

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

I see this as the Hail Mary. If this doesn't work, the nation has GOT to be out of excuses and people to blame besides Jr. Might not see alot of changes at Dover but the next few weeks should be interesting.
random

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

I like this guy's thinking. Lance, don't take any crap from Junior! Let him know who's boss. Good luck 88 Team, and let's turn it around!
88 Mediocre at Best

Poolesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

So, when Junior produces more epic fails with this crew chief, what will the excuse be then?
BOOGITY

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

88 Mediocre at Best wrote:
So, when Junior produces more epic fails with this crew chief, what will the excuse be then?
You've said Jr 198 times today. weirdo.
88 Mediocre at Best

Poolesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

That was my first comment in days.

dumba$$
BOOGITY

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

That was my first comment in days.
dumba$$
You change names more then you wash your hands a day. Get offline.

“I am who I am”

Since: Nov 07

I don't need your permission!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

it sounds like he wants to insure a change for the best. I just hope he's up for the challenge.
John

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

I wish the dude the best of luck, but I agree with this 100%. I am sick of the Junior Nation excuses. You guys whined and moaned about Tony Eury Jr. You all are glad he got the axe, but what happens if Junior continues down this path and does not produce the expected results?

Don't use the "He needs more time with the new Crew Chief to get it all figured out." One of his teammates is proving that wrong this year, and the other 2 have proven in the past they can win with "interm" crew chiefs.

If he fails to succeed, Junior Nation needs to look in the Drivers seat and begin to ask questions.

It used to be DEI equipment, now he is in the best in the sport, and continues to struggle. At some point the excuses have to stop.

Again, I am not bashing Junior as a driver, I hope he does well. Just sick of hearing all the whining.
WWE NASCAR

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Just keep Jr away from Gordon and Johnson, he's a cancer.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

Mcgrew sounds like he has a good grip on what has to be done. The failure of the 88 car to perform certainly wasn't Tony Jr. fault one hundred percent so there others that are either going to have to change or move on. Mcgrew is going to have to take a firm stand with Jr. on how things are going to be done at the racetrack. Rick must ensure that Mcgrew gets total cooperation from the 5 team and stand firm behind Mcgrew's decisions. I think he will seek help from the other crew chiefs probably much quicker than Tony Jr. just because of his long association with HMS.
bigkahuna

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2009

Judged:

John wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish the dude the best of luck, but I agree with this 100%. I am sick of the Junior Nation excuses. You guys whined and moaned about Tony Eury Jr. You all are glad he got the axe, but what happens if Junior continues down this path and does not produce the expected results?
Don't use the "He needs more time with the new Crew Chief to get it all figured out." One of his teammates is proving that wrong this year, and the other 2 have proven in the past they can win with "interm" crew chiefs.
If he fails to succeed, Junior Nation needs to look in the Drivers seat and begin to ask questions.
It used to be DEI equipment, now he is in the best in the sport, and continues to struggle. At some point the excuses have to stop.
Again, I am not bashing Junior as a driver, I hope he does well. Just sick of hearing all the whining.
YES, In any change, it will take time. This doesn't mean years.. just like weeks. give it time.

Car set-up is key, along with communication and give the new Crew chief a chance.

this gives Tony Jr a chance to succeed and gives Jr a chance to see what he can do. I'm looking for improvement every week, with a win in there too. Keep in mind how many good drivers there are and ONLY ONE WINS AT A TIME
WWE NASCAR

Florham Park, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

You just know there's some funny stuff going on behind the scenes. Jr's new crew chief probably has Helton and France's blessing to setup Jr's car like nobody has seen scene since the 2001 Pepsi 400; wait for it.

“To contract new debts...”

Since: Apr 08

is not the way to pay old ones

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

BOOGITY wrote:
<quoted text>You've said Jr 198 times today. weirdo.
If you actually counted that I'm left wondering who the wierdo is...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

NASCAR will blame all the Jr fans sitting in turn 3 and they will all have to move. It has to be that because it can't be a problem with the driver.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

Hunglo wrote:
<quoted text>
NASCAR will blame all the Jr fans sitting in turn 3 and they will all have to move. It has to be that because it can't be a problem with the driver.
Naw, there's still more than enough hater trolls like yourself around to lay blame on Jr. for most everything wrong that happens in NASCAR. Think how much more miserable your sorry life would be without Jr. to hate.
MISSU3

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Naw, there's still more than enough hater trolls like yourself around to lay blame on Jr. for most everything wrong that happens in NASCAR. Think how much more miserable your sorry life would be without Jr. to hate.
See, there's the problem right there! If you say anything negative about Jr. OR actually blame Jr. for some of his troubles, the stupid nation labels everyone a "hater". I've seen plenty of posts where they say they think Jr. is a good guy, but they just don't think it's everyone else's fault for his troubles. I'm not a DALE JR FAN! I don't hate the dude. I just think the nation has made him and themselves the laughing stock of NASCAR and people love to play with your heads because of it. Just sit quiet until if and when he does start winning and then you're have something to crow about.
NASCAR-1

Emporia, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2009

Judged:

Any article written about Dale Jr is going to have bazillions of negative posts. He races against the ghost of his dad, he is under a microscope whether he is in public or private, and he is ridiculed if he says or does anything. Let's see...he is just a name, he parties too much, he's a loner, no girlfriends, too many girlfriends, whines, doesn't say enough, doesn't care. It doesn't seem to matter how he acts or what he says or does. There are two camps. The "Jr Nation" love him and he's always going to win the next race. The "Jr Bashers" jump at every chance to see the worst in him. Seems to me, he is a good driver in a slump, for whatever reason his car has not been set up to compete most races and what races it is- he seems to get tangled up in wrecks. Every week, there is only one winner- 2nd place is just the first loser. Since David Reutimann won last week, do you expect him to win every week now? If he doesn't, are you going to tear him up at every chance you get? Do other drivers miss pit stalls???(yes) Do other drivers hear about it day after day after day???(no)
Get over it! Let the man race, let him get used to his new crew chief, let his crew chief get used to him. Hopefully, if he doesn't go out and just win race after race, the bashers won't jump in a minute after the race with "gloom and doom".
I like to read news about NASCAR. All the juvenile posts make me sick! If it isn't an intelligent comment, maybe just keep it to yourself.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2009

Judged:

NASCAR-1 you're right, no other driver is as scrutinized as Jr. Other drivers have slumps, make mistakes on pit road or have crew changes forced on them from their team owners but it's not news. Even Gordons slump wasn't as newsworthy as the one Jr. is in.
As for me being a "hater", nah, I'm not a JR. fan but I certainly don't hate the guy. I think that he's a great driver, you have to be to race at the cup level. I also believe that the problem with the 88 team lies in the drivers seat and not on top of the pit box. In my opinion the problem is with Jr.s ability to adapt to the new car.
x jr fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2009

Hunglo wrote:
NASCAR-1 you're right, no other driver is as scrutinized as Jr. Other drivers have slumps, make mistakes on pit road or have crew changes forced on them from their team owners but it's not news. Even Gordons slump wasn't as newsworthy as the one Jr. is in.
As for me being a "hater", nah, I'm not a JR. fan but I certainly don't hate the guy. I think that he's a great driver, you have to be to race at the cup level. I also believe that the problem with the 88 team lies in the drivers seat and not on top of the pit box. In my opinion the problem is with Jr.s ability to adapt to the new car.
people seem jr is in a little slump but his slump has lasted for 5 years. i don't see that gordon was in a slump he was finishing in the top 10 in just about every race look where he finished in the points 6th or 7th

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mark Martin Discussions

Search the Mark Martin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick ... (Mar '10) Jul 24 Wang 68
Steve Addington scratching head over release fr... (Nov '13) Dec '13 snow 8
No monster mash for Martin (Oct '13) Oct '13 WHOYAKIDDING 21
Michael Waltrip, sponsors considering whether M... (Aug '13) Aug '13 wallbanger 11
Tony Stewart to miss rest of 2013 season; Mark ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 KARMA THE CLOWN 1
Time to retire!!!!!!! (Aug '13) Aug '13 95 Thunderbird 1
5 Potential Sleepers That Could Steal the 2013 ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Bob 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••