It's On! Angry Petty Lays The Smack D...

It's On! Angry Petty Lays The Smack Down In Garage On Hamlin

There are 54 comments on the WSOCTV story from Sep 24, 2007, titled It's On! Angry Petty Lays The Smack Down In Garage On Hamlin. In it, WSOCTV reports that:

“I didn't realize it was your 100th win”

Denny Hamlin's car crashed into Kyle Petty's bumper. Then a furious Petty got in Hamlin's face. via WSOCTV

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSOCTV.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jim

Flint, MI

#1 Sep 25, 2007
If I were Denny I'd sue the hell out of Petty! First, what kind of example does it set for all those special children at his and his dad's camp!?! Second, too reach INTO someones car and slam his visor down is a personnal violation! I hope NASCAR throws the book at Petty!
J Cornett

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 25, 2007
Someone should tell Denny Hamlin that he ran into Petty.
Junior Nation

United States

#3 Sep 25, 2007
J Cornett wrote:
Someone should tell Denny Hamlin that he ran into Petty.
Ran into him??? You mean ran right over him. The little scuffle in the garage was just racin' nothing for anyone to get excited about. Just shows that they have passion for their sport.. Just like the Havick/Montoya scuffle a few weeks back... It's just racin'
Observer

AOL

#4 Sep 25, 2007
Jim wrote:
If I were Denny I'd sue the hell out of Petty! First, what kind of example does it set for all those special children at his and his dad's camp!?! Second, too reach INTO someones car and slam his visor down is a personnal violation! I hope NASCAR throws the book at Petty!
IMO, Kyle has "big time" anger issues. The dude's hand is still in a wrap from smacking a wall or something and he goes after Denny, putting the smack down on his visor......dropping the "F" bomb on national TV in Cali.

Kyle, maybe it's time to retire for good?

Since: Apr 07

Malvern, PA

#5 Sep 25, 2007
As even the racers stated last evening on Inside Nascar -- this was Hamlin's fault. It is the responsibility of the faster car to move around the car in front. And the arrogance of Denny to state that he had a more important race to run given the Chase versus the top 35 owners points. Denny needs to get knocked down a notch or two. I don't feel that Kyle should have reached in the car, but certainly NOT a Nascar violation.
Holy Moly

Vienna, VA

#6 Sep 25, 2007
I agree with you. Kyle certainly should not have laid a hand on Denny but Denny could have made a cleaner pass if he was not so impatient.
2smokein wrote:
As even the racers stated last evening on Inside Nascar -- this was Hamlin's fault. It is the responsibility of the faster car to move around the car in front. And the arrogance of Denny to state that he had a more important race to run given the Chase versus the top 35 owners points. Denny needs to get knocked down a notch or two. I don't feel that Kyle should have reached in the car, but certainly NOT a Nascar violation.
Carolyn

Erie, PA

#7 Sep 25, 2007
2smokein wrote:
But, it's Denny and he wants to win. Maybe now he will think when Tony knocked him out of the way and they both wrecked. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he doesn't like it. Tough.

Since: Apr 07

Malvern, PA

#8 Sep 25, 2007
Carolyn wrote:
<quoted text>But, it's Denny and he wants to win. Maybe now he will think when Tony knocked him out of the way and they both wrecked. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he doesn't like it. Tough.
You got it! He should be reminded about that situation...same series of events, but he's whining now.
GNB

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 25, 2007
Jim, It would teach the children not to let people run right over them,wheather it's in a race car or life in general. OMG that slap to the visor was nothing. Hamlin deseved a fat lip
VIPWitch3

AOL

#10 Sep 25, 2007
2smokein wrote:
I would think that this is part of the give and take rule (unoffical rule) that if a car was faster you should move over and allow the faster car to go by. However, in the same respect, there should be patience to allow that car to move, not move him. Yes, it is important for Chase cars to have some respect, but also these other 31 cars need the points for next season to be in the top 35, and they are also races for the pot of gold. If you look at it from both sides; neither one is more important than the other. However, no one should reach into someone's car and attack them, Kyle should have waited for Denny to get out of the car. I think NASCAR (JMO) will treat this issue the same as Harvick and Montoya - it's all a part of racing.

“Bye old girl, you been great. ”

Since: Feb 07

Bradenton, FL

#11 Sep 25, 2007
Carolyn wrote:
<quoted text>But, it's Denny and he wants to win. Maybe now he will think when Tony knocked him out of the way and they both wrecked. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he doesn't like it. Tough.
Tony said on the radio "Looks like little brother had a chase of "Tonyitis" there.
jan1129

United States

#12 Sep 25, 2007
Ok, so how many of you were at the race. Zero, right. Well, do like I did and call someone who was there and say "hey, what was with Denny"? After all, he usually doesn't make that kind of mistake. Then you will be told that TV didn't show it all (gasp!).Seems Denny had been behind Kyle for several laps and Kyle just wasn't giving.And did we watch the same race or what. Someone said there were several grooves. Sure, at some spots--at others you just "clean the track" after you wreck when you try to run the high groove.Sure he ran into Kyle. Kyle should have moved over like he did for the other cars.Kyle seems to have been running two races: the "I moved over for the other cars" and the "I'm trying to stay in the top 35". By the way isn't the courtesy rule in NASCAR that the lapped car runs the high groove?
Robert Card

Johnstown, PA

#13 Sep 25, 2007
Well Fans, Its just a show between the drivers to keep you interested in watching the traveling Billboards (COT) go around circles so Hilton and his gang can fleece your pockets!! They have tried to bring up all types of ethnic people to compete...I am really looking forward to an illegal alien getting a ride in NASCAR! Should pack the stands....!

“My PitWeiler designer dog”

Since: Aug 07

Woodruff, WI

#14 Sep 25, 2007
I find it quite clear.
The drivers in the Cup series will not stand up for Tony when Tony speaks his mind, or states a fact.......

until......

Sometime after a Tony opening mouth and inserting foot situation becomes a benefit for a driver in a different circumstance. Then, what Tony said is the truth and can be used as fact for said drivers (Kyle) "case". Suddenly, in a whole new story line....Tony's name gets thrown into the mixture without even trying. Go figure.

“My PitWeiler designer dog”

Woodruff, WI

#15 Sep 25, 2007
Carolyn wrote:
I missed the race almost entirely...but, if Kyle was a lapped car, and Denny wasnt...then the situation really is different. Kyle as the lapped car should've moved. Kyle was not the race leader by any stretch. I can see where Denny might be a bit ticked in dealing with unmoving lap traffic. Hope Tony taught him how to take the high road!

:-)
Terry

Gardner, KS

#16 Sep 25, 2007
Denny is a young talented driver. And I am a fan of his. But all drivers make mistakes. Chase or no chase, he should have man enough to say he messed up plain and simple and it would have been over.
Carolyn

Erie, PA

#17 Sep 25, 2007
WI Bound wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed the race almost entirely...but, if Kyle was a lapped car, and Denny wasnt...then the situation really is different. Kyle as the lapped car should've moved. Kyle was not the race leader by any stretch. I can see where Denny might be a bit ticked in dealing with unmoving lap traffic. Hope Tony taught him how to take the high road!
From what I have read, Kyle had let two other drivers get past him and was trying to get out of Hamlin's way, but Hamlin was just too impatient. Even Clint Bowyer was not too happy with Hamlin. I don't know why, but I read that somewhere along the line. Kyle Petty is also trying to survive and he has the right to.
My son met Kyle Petty at a race and he said Kyle was one heck of a nice guy. If Hamlin had gone through what Kyle has gone through, then Hamlin might be more understanding. He is just a young punk who thinks the sun rises and sets on him. Well, that ain't so.
luvtonyseyes

Barre, VT

#18 Sep 25, 2007
WI Bound wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah we all know how Denny takes the high road...run to the media at the next race and slam the other person.
AbunchoPansies

Cleveland, TN

#19 Sep 25, 2007
Hell not they aren't gonna speak up to NASCAR, that's their bread and butter. They have been brainwashed by "The Man" for so long they actually believe that they can't do anything about the way NASCAR is run with an "Iron Fist". They have comfy lives, why rock the boat?? They are getting all the "perks" that come along with being a NASCAR driver......so why stand up for your "Friend" and agree that something needs to be done??

WHY???? Because that is THE RIGHT thing to do. Because you know DAMN well what is going on behind closed doors and within the corrupt organization that prides itself on FAMILY VALUES. Brian France is making so much stinkin' money off of these guys and pays them well, but does not give them any FREEDOMS. I bet ya' if they knew how much Brian is REALLY making off of them, they would all shit in their pants. They are under the control of Brian France and nobody has the balls to stand up and say, "hey wait a minute", "I'm the one doing all the work here, I'm the one risking my life, I'm the one that sleeps in my bed 5 times a year." The ones that TRUELY love racing will figure it out some day, that they are being used and will be thrown away with tomorrows paper, soon enough.

Look at all the IRL guys coming over, theres only 43 SPOTS GUYS ??? WHAT CHA' GONNA DO WHEN THERE IS NO ROOM, and Brian has done away with the integrity and foundation of the sport, by selling out to whoever has the most $$$ to widen' his marketability, your going to still be sitting there letting him do it, knowing all along you had THE PERFECT opportunity to do something about it ONCE AND FOR ALL, but you didn't, because you were scared or intimidated. If SOMEONE would just come forward or "leak" some info about what's happening, Brian France would go DOWN, I PROMISE you that.
WI Bound wrote:
I find it quite clear.
The drivers in the Cup series will not stand up for Tony when Tony speaks his mind, or states a fact.......
until......
Sometime after a Tony opening mouth and inserting foot situation becomes a benefit for a driver in a different circumstance. Then, what Tony said is the truth and can be used as fact for said drivers (Kyle) "case". Suddenly, in a whole new story line....Tony's name gets thrown into the mixture without even trying. Go figure.

AOL

#20 Sep 25, 2007
Whatever happened Denny is a kid to Kyle Petty he shouldn't go around smacking on someone and talking about respect. Respect is don't come in my pit or garage and flip my helmet. But I'm sure Petty will be ready to move on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kyle Petty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kurt Busch donates $1 million to Victory Juncti... (May '06) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 16
News Women doing well on track (Jul '13) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 3
News Kyle Petty was worse driver than Danica Patrick (Jul '13) Jul '13 Alto 5
News Kyle Petty on Danica Patrick: 'She's not a race... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jorge 3
News Predicting Which Current Drivers Will Make the ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 redrum 41
News Fans Can Now Vote Their Favorite Driver into th... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Grandpaw Whitey 7
Talk about Kyle Petty (Aug '11) Sep '12 Duh1 3
More from around the web