SUNDAY SHOWCASE: VICTORY JUNCTION GAN...

SUNDAY SHOWCASE: VICTORY JUNCTION GANG CAMP -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 14 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Aug 19, 2007, titled SUNDAY SHOWCASE: VICTORY JUNCTION GANG CAMP -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

When Abbi Driggers, 8, surveys her surroundings at Victory Junction Gang Camp and says, "I think it's heaven," she might just have a point.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

okw

Orlando, FL

#1 Aug 19, 2007
This is why NASCAR is great - not for the action, but because of the people involved - drivers, owners, teams, sponsors, and most importantly, the fans. You may not like or understand NASCAR, but it is easy to understand this story and how great these people are. The Petty's are the royal family of the sport, but there are obviously many other great teams involved. I have never liked cocky Tony Stewart - but now I do - at least when he is off the track!

“Here's to all the nonbelievers”

Since: Aug 07

Peterborough, ON, Canada

#2 Aug 19, 2007
What a great article!
Every time I read what Patty Petty has to say about the camp, the campers and Adam, I start to cry. The Pettys are an inspiration to all. No matter how much you dislike a driver on the track, you have to admire them for their generosity. The things that Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick do for the camp is extraordinary. I wish more journalists would write about these actions, not just what happens on Sunday.

Thank God for people like the Pettys and Tony Stewart!

“Life is good...”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Aug 19, 2007
What wonderful articles! Sitting here teary eyed now. I know how great these camps are for sick kids and their families. Remember the commercials where a bunch of drivers were working on the camp? We still blame missing things on Schrader.

Since: Apr 07

Glendale, AZ

#4 Aug 19, 2007
Yup, Adam's idea, Kyle, Pattie, and Richard got it going. Richard donated the land from what he already had. MOST of the drivers help out in lots of ways.

I don't believe it mentioned how Michael Waltrip and his wife got the money raised for that gym but it was through running marathons, holding poker games in Vegas, and having huge parties where all the money went to the camp.

Also, whenever Michael does an appearance, they supply food, souveniers, and also do a raffle where people buy tickets to get Mikey gear. All the money from this stuff goes back to the camp too. I remember the first time I met him here in the Phoenix area, between the raffle and the food we all bought, the 350 people that were there raised close to $3,000.... within like $200. Michael said he was donating the rest out of his pocket to make it an even $3K.

That camp is a wonderful thing. I tell everybody about it. I even bought checks from my bank with the camp logo on it. So part of the money I paid for my checks goes back to the camp.
Carolyn

Erie, PA

#5 Aug 19, 2007
What a great article. It's a tear jerker for sure.
EWBS

Burlington, WI

#6 Aug 19, 2007
All I have to say is WOW.
Jennifer Watts

Clyde, NC

#7 Aug 19, 2007
cool

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#8 Aug 19, 2007
As always a super artcle on the Camp. My kids and I every year donate $15.00 on NASCAR Day as well as this year I got the "Prelude". After getting on the webite my kids decide that this winter we would start making bears for the kids at the camp (We live in WI). I am so proud of them wanting to do something for kids not as healthy as they are. My sister and I will be making quilts and blankets for the kids as well. The website is full of ideas and opportunities for all us NASCAR fans to help the kids. We don't have to have SMOKE's money to help, just his heart.

“what the”

Since: Jun 07

New Bedford, MA

#9 Aug 19, 2007
A couple of years ago I was in a situation that someone did a big favor for me and when I tried to offer them gas money they said to donate it to my favorite childrens charity when I got back home. After he left and I turned around I saw a sign for the VJGC. I donated the $25 to the camp and since then, any time that I get an easy $25 I donate it too. It is such a great place for children and thier families. BTW for those who don't know. That camp was Adam Pettys dream until he died.
Thea

Madison, WI

#10 Aug 19, 2007
Smoke1 wrote:
As always a super artcle on the Camp. My kids and I every year donate $15.00 on NASCAR Day as well as this year I got the "Prelude". After getting on the webite my kids decide that this winter we would start making bears for the kids at the camp (We live in WI). I am so proud of them wanting to do something for kids not as healthy as they are. My sister and I will be making quilts and blankets for the kids as well. The website is full of ideas and opportunities for all us NASCAR fans to help the kids. We don't have to have SMOKE's money to help, just his heart.
Smoke1, You are the best! You are so right on target. It isn't the amount of money you have in your wallet. It is the love in your heart that matters. And it's really wonderful that you and your family realize that everyone can make a diference. By teaching our youth that now only gives me hope for the future.

Peace ~ from Madison, Wi

Since: Apr 07

Changing photo..changing mood.

#11 Aug 23, 2007
What a great article! It's hard to believe it came from Flippers Orlando paper!

In case you didnt know!
www.foodlion.com (For those of you who shop at Food Loin)
What is LionShop & Share?

LionShop & Share is the easiest, most convenient way to raise money for your local not-for-profit organization. Each time you shop at Food Lion and use your MVP card, a portion of your total grocery purchase will be donated to the school, church or other local not-for-profit organization you have selected. Food Lion knows it is important to be involved in the local communities in which it serves, and Lion Shop & Share is our way of helping you help your community grow and prosper.
You can register your MVP card on foodlion.com When you register, you put your city search in for Randalman NC. VJGC shows up there!
Allison

Fedhaven, FL

#12 Oct 20, 2007
I have been a Petty fan for years and have attended four of the carith ride concerts at his farm.I was thinking of all the people he's had perform there,I would love for him to get Taylor Hicks to sing there.Taylor is a charitable guy and it would bring great publicity from non race fans.What does everybody else think?
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.c om/albums/s266/anothertayfan/I MG_0587.jpg[/IMG]

Since: Dec 06

Lufkin, TX

#13 Oct 20, 2007
okw wrote:
This is why NASCAR is great - not for the action, but because of the people involved - drivers, owners, teams, sponsors, and most importantly, the fans. You may not like or understand NASCAR, but it is easy to understand this story and how great these people are. The Petty's are the royal family of the sport, but there are obviously many other great teams involved. I have never liked cocky Tony Stewart - but now I do - at least when he is off the track!
I will have to give you that about the Petty's. They seem to be a great bunch. It is just sad that they lost Adam.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#14 Oct 20, 2007
Allison wrote:
I have been a Petty fan for years and have attended four of the carith ride concerts at his farm.I was thinking of all the people he's had perform there,I would love for him to get Taylor Hicks to sing there.Taylor is a charitable guy and it would bring great publicity from non race fans.What does everybody else think?
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/anoth...
Works for me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kyle Petty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kurt Busch donates $1 million to Victory Juncti... (May '06) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 16
News Women doing well on track (Jul '13) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 3
News Kyle Petty was worse driver than Danica Patrick (Jul '13) Jul '13 Alto 5
News Kyle Petty on Danica Patrick: 'She's not a race... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jorge 3
News Predicting Which Current Drivers Will Make the ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 redrum 41
News Fans Can Now Vote Their Favorite Driver into th... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Grandpaw Whitey 7
Talk about Kyle Petty (Aug '11) Sep '12 Duh1 3
More from around the web