Petty team showing life after long pe...

Petty team showing life after long period of struggle

There are 7 comments on the Sportsline.com story from Oct 26, 2006, titled Petty team showing life after long period of struggle. In it, Sportsline.com reports that:

Petty Enterprises is showing signs of life. The pioneering NASCAR team, for many years the dominant force of stock car racing with founder Lee Petty and son Richard piling up 10 championships and 254 wins ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sportsline.com.

Nate

Toronto, Canada

#1 Oct 27, 2006
Having been a Petty fan since seeing Richard's first race here in Toronto in 1958 it has been a painful experience seeing the team that was so dominant being relegated to back markers. When Richard came back to Dodge I was elated and when they finally hired some really talented people and stepped up their engine program, I knew deep in my heart that they were on the right track to getting back to where they belong. I don't know if at this point in time they can become as dominant as the Roush and Hendrick organizations, where cubic dollars out trump determination and history, but maybe with the car of tomorrow, whereby driver talent will take over from aero the maybe the Petty organization can once again be up front. Watching the old races where Richard was at war with Pearson, and seeing how they manhandled those big heavy full sized cars at speeds not that much less than are being run today, Richard was in a class by himself, with maybe one or two others. When he was King, it was the driver that made the difference. He had what it took to get the job done and while everybody is raving about multi car teams, the Petty's have been doing it for over 50 years. If life has any fairness at all given the contribution that the Petty family have made to NASCAR racing and given the devotion they have to succeeding again, then the future will see the 43 and the 45 back in the winner's circle. It would be my fondest with to see the Petty organization achieve the glory years that they have enjoyed in past and hopefully it is not in the too distant future
umpire

Plainview, NY

#2 Oct 27, 2006
I agree with you Nate. The cars is those days were fast. And just think, the were sitting on bench seats with just a lap belt. Some with leather helmets. I also agree that we WILL see the 43 and possibally the 45 car back in the winners circle. In my oppinion Kyle is a very competent race car driver. But you know what? I don't see the passion in Kyles eyes any more.I also think Kyle is ready to give it up on the cup circut. If kyle were to choose to focus his time on the VJG camp, I really think the 45 team would excell. I have heard the rumors of Roush basicaly giving Yates racing Gregg Biffels contract. What my minds eye sees, and would be great if it happened, Is an established driver with a proven track reacord could slide right into the 45 car. I feel like it would be a win/win situation if Gregg filled Kyles spot in the 45 car. Now with that being said, sit back and close your eyes and think about what kind of organization the Pettys would have. WOW, two dynamic drivers with the potential to win week in and week out. Now wouldn't that bring back some glory and attention to the established, but newly up and comming team like the Pettys. Wouldnt that be great? Absolutely! I call em like I see em!
anderson 24

United States

#3 Oct 27, 2006
real happy for the pettys .doing great this year
anderson 24

United States

#5 Oct 28, 2006
i agree with what your saying , i would love to see bobby win this weekend .kyle does need to start looking for a younger driver for the 45 car just keep hoping they get better an better **go pettys*
Gordon

Vancouver, Canada

#6 Jan 28, 2007
i dont want to see Kyle step down he is great!!!
umpire

Plainview, NY

#7 Jan 29, 2007
Gordon wrote:
i dont want to see Kyle step down he is great!!!
I hear ya Gordon, But one must realize Kyle has so much on his plate that he cant eat it all. Hearing that he will sit out more than one race during the summer stretch and be in the TNT booth trying to fill the void left by Benny P. is just the first step.

I think Kyle still has the drive to race, but I dont know about the desire. There comes a time that all of the once great racers of my time have steped aside for younger race car drivers that have nothing to loose. What I mean by that is , no fear of dieing and leaving behind wifes and children. The young guys don't know that they shouldn't do the things they do.

After dale sr. died I could see it in all of the vets. Every one of them toned it down a notch. I believe most realize how much money they have made in the past years. If they aren't around to enjoy there kids grow up and retire with there wives, what is the piont. I feel Kyle is to that point in his life. Time to move on.

I call em like I see em.
BERT 43

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Feb 8, 2007
I agree it is time for Petty Enterprises to look to the future in a young driver. Do they need to find a spring chicken right out of REMAX or Hooter's Pro Cup I'm not sure. Maybe they need a Carl Edwards or Kasey Kahne. I don't know there's a real realty of getting a driver such as one fo them. But I do beleive they need a younger driver to fill in for Kyle

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kyle Petty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kurt Busch donates $1 million to Victory Juncti... (May '06) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 16
News Women doing well on track (Jul '13) Jul '13 IceMan PJN 3
News Kyle Petty was worse driver than Danica Patrick (Jul '13) Jul '13 Alto 5
News Kyle Petty on Danica Patrick: 'She's not a race... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Jorge 3
News Predicting Which Current Drivers Will Make the ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 redrum 41
News Fans Can Now Vote Their Favorite Driver into th... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Grandpaw Whitey 7
Talk about Kyle Petty (Aug '11) Sep '12 Duh1 3
More from around the web