Tony Stewart in talks to leave Gibbs

Tony Stewart in talks to leave Gibbs

There are 69 comments on the sportsillustrated.cnn.com story from Apr 24, 2008, titled Tony Stewart in talks to leave Gibbs. In it, sportsillustrated.cnn.com reports that:

Tony Stewart and Joe Gibbs have created one of the most dominant teams on the Sprint Cup circuit with Stewart's No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at sportsillustrated.cnn.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Stidham, OK

#1 Apr 24, 2008
20 months is a long time, but also the fat lady ain't singing yet.

Just remember in this article, "Nothings broke, why change" comment.

Breathe!

“Bye old girl, you been great. ”

Since: Feb 07

Bradenton, FL

#2 Apr 24, 2008
LuvRacinLdy wrote:
20 months is a long time, but also the fat lady ain't singing yet.
Just remember in this article, "Nothings broke, why change" comment.
Breathe!
got the paper bag needed for me to breath. LOL
Terry

United States

#3 Apr 24, 2008
Hey it's not a bad thing you should be happy for Tony if thats what he wants. GO TONY!
Tori

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Apr 24, 2008
He said he would never drive Toyota. Coincidence that RCR is readying a 4th team????

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#5 Apr 24, 2008
I have decided to calm down and just wait for a public announcement by Tony himself.

We could speculate all year and still be wrong.

“Bye old girl, you been great. ”

Since: Feb 07

Bradenton, FL

#6 Apr 24, 2008
Terry wrote:
Hey it's not a bad thing you should be happy for Tony if thats what he wants. GO TONY!
not saying its bad just a shock to the system. I'm in holding pattern to see what happens.
Babs

Rochester, NY

#7 Apr 24, 2008
LuvRacinLdy wrote:
20 months is a long time, but also the fat lady ain't singing yet.
Just remember in this article, "Nothings broke, why change" comment.
Breathe!
I have to disagree that "nothings broke". I think it is - it started breaking down when they brought in Toyota. I'm not saying Toyota is good or bad, but it was clear by the comments/no comments and facial expressions on TS's face that he was not embracing the idea.
Spine

United States

#8 Apr 24, 2008
I wont go with him.

I love Tony, He's been my driver since I started watching in '99. I was ecstatic when I found out that JGR was switching to Toyota. I have drove Toyota's for years, and always felt a little dirty on the inside for rooting for a Chevy. I worked at a Chevy dealership and know first hand how crappy of a product it really is. Since the begging of the year I have picked up Kyle as one of my favorites. If Tony leaves Gibbs I will not follow him to his new ride. I will become 100% Kyle and Denny. Dont forget Joey is on the way in too. How dumb you gotta be to want to leave a team like Gibbs? With the switch to Tonyotas they have been stronger than ever. What a dumb idea. Whatever, If Tonys that big of an elitist that he wont drive for a foreign manufacturer, then go, go drive your crappy Chevy for RCR. That will make it all the easier for Kyle to win a Championship.
I know everyone is saying to take a beep breath and wait for something official. But this IS going to happen. F Tony if he leaves.

P.S. Looks like I got about 15 Die-cast #20 cars to sell on eBay. The good ones.

Kyle FTMFW!

“Smoke Fan Forever!!!”

Since: Sep 07

Look to the Western Sky!!!!

#9 Apr 24, 2008
I must be the most diluted person in the world because he seems to be a far happier driver this year. And as I've said before he's the most transparent person so his emotions are always on his sleeve.

I don't think Kyle's a problem, I don't think Tony minds the kid doing well. The reality is the team has changed because of Kyle. Last year they weren't communicating between the three cars, now they do, and I think it's made a difference. Tony's lucked out in a couple of races he could have won, but those mistakes have been made on the track. I dunno, I'm sure last year everyone was weary of making the transition. Change is difficult but this team seems to have taken advantage of the change.

Again I may be delusional.

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#10 Apr 24, 2008
Babs wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to disagree that "nothings broke". I think it is - it started breaking down when they brought in Toyota. I'm not saying Toyota is good or bad, but it was clear by the comments/no comments and facial expressions on TS's face that he was not embracing the idea.
personally, I think those looks are more due to the COT... and who demanded that the teams all work with a new car, taking all the fun out of racing for the drivers? NASCAR!!

“Smoke and the Rocketman”

Since: Jan 07

United States

#11 Apr 24, 2008
Spine wrote:
I wont go with him.
I love Tony, He's been my driver since I started watching in '99. I was ecstatic when I found out that JGR was switching to Toyota. I have drove Toyota's for years, and always felt a little dirty on the inside for rooting for a Chevy. I worked at a Chevy dealership and know first hand how crappy of a product it really is. Since the begging of the year I have picked up Kyle as one of my favorites. If Tony leaves Gibbs I will not follow him to his new ride. I will become 100% Kyle and Denny. Dont forget Joey is on the way in too. How dumb you gotta be to want to leave a team like Gibbs? With the switch to Tonyotas they have been stronger than ever. What a dumb idea. Whatever, If Tonys that big of an elitist that he wont drive for a foreign manufacturer, then go, go drive your crappy Chevy for RCR. That will make it all the easier for Kyle to win a Championship.
I know everyone is saying to take a beep breath and wait for something official. But this IS going to happen. F Tony if he leaves.
P.S. Looks like I got about 15 Die-cast #20 cars to sell on eBay. The good ones.
Kyle FTMFW!
it is funny that people assume it is because of Toyota.. Tony has been asking if he could retire for a while now, if it ain't fun to race these blasted COTs.. maybe he will totally leave NASCAR all together.. Tony is but a man who loves to race cars..I like the man, I could care less what type or color of car he is in, as long as he isn't with a cheating owner that is,, I don't want him to stoop to HMS... but if he goes anywhere else, and if he leaves NASCAR entirely, I'll support him.. until we hear from Tony's own mouth, we should not talk badly about our favorite driver..his passion is racing. he said that he is not one to care to get the most championships in NASCAR, he wants to race in a variety of series.. if he leaves NASCAR, I just hope that whatever series that he would be racing in each week would be covered adequately.
It is his life, he has his dreams.. we should let this intelligent, extremely successful man decide what is best for him.
Freebird

Atlanta, GA

#13 Apr 24, 2008
I frankly don't care the brand of his motor, Tony can drive ANYTHING, so i will stick with him no matter.....but i too have a lot of 20 orange/home depot stuff around that i could sale on ebay.
Switch Tony - i need some cash! LOL!
Terry

United States

#14 Apr 24, 2008
Spine wrote:
I wont go with him.
I love Tony, He's been my driver since I started watching in '99. I was ecstatic when I found out that JGR was switching to Toyota. I have drove Toyota's for years, and always felt a little dirty on the inside for rooting for a Chevy. I worked at a Chevy dealership and know first hand how crappy of a product it really is. Since the begging of the year I have picked up Kyle as one of my favorites. If Tony leaves Gibbs I will not follow him to his new ride. I will become 100% Kyle and Denny. Dont forget Joey is on the way in too. How dumb you gotta be to want to leave a team like Gibbs? With the switch to Tonyotas they have been stronger than ever. What a dumb idea. Whatever, If Tonys that big of an elitist that he wont drive for a foreign manufacturer, then go, go drive your crappy Chevy for RCR. That will make it all the easier for Kyle to win a Championship.
I know everyone is saying to take a beep breath and wait for something official. But this IS going to happen. F Tony if he leaves.
P.S. Looks like I got about 15 Die-cast #20 cars to sell on eBay. The good ones.
Kyle FTMFW!
If thats you reason Toyota's no saint either. They have class action lawsuits for not covering thousands of sludged motors under warranty and sticking it to customers . Toyota has had big problems with their new Tundra truck motors coming apart. Guess what in automotive news last week . Toyota has to buy back thousands and thousands of trucks the frames are falling apart. the years are from 1995 to 2000. Not exactly a drop in the bucket. Their Van doors are falling apart and they don't want to cover them under warranty. Toyota got busted more than once for not paying taxes in the countries they have plants in and were funneling profits back to Japan. Look it all up it's not hard to find. Chevy is no saint either but has a much better warranty than Toyota. If thats why your dumping Tony go for it. Good luck on Ebay!
Spine

United States

#15 Apr 24, 2008
My Corolla hasn't skipped a beat after 28k. Its still a far cry from its 70k warranty. I just think its a bad move to leave Gibbs after all they have done for Tony and Zippy. They stuck with him every time he said or did something that people took offense too. I just don't want to see him go and it upsets me a little.

Debi Does and Terry, you guys are right. Were all right about our own opinions. I just hate to see the Giibs/HomeDepot/Stewart/Zippy thing get broke up.

Thanks for not taking me to the cleaners with your responses.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#16 Apr 24, 2008
Spine wrote:
My Corolla hasn't skipped a beat after 28k. Its still a far cry from its 70k warranty. I just think its a bad move to leave Gibbs after all they have done for Tony and Zippy. They stuck with him every time he said or did something that people took offense too. I just don't want to see him go and it upsets me a little.
Debi Does and Terry, you guys are right. Were all right about our own opinions. I just hate to see the Giibs/HomeDepot/Stewart/Zippy thing get broke up.
Thanks for not taking me to the cleaners with your responses.
I will follow Tony no matter where he goes or what he drives. But I wouldn't bash you for having a different opinion.:-)

I have owned Chevys, Toyotas, Fords and the rest. If the color is cool, the car is cool. That's all that matters to me! LOL

BTW-do you go to SIU?

Since: Aug 07

Taylorsville, NC

#17 Apr 24, 2008
This is simply terrible news. I can't imagine Joe Gibbs and Tony Stewart on different teams. I think it sucks. My heart will keep me with Joe Gibbs. I guess I will trade all of my Home Depot gear in for M&M's. Just a sad sad day.
Terry

United States

#18 Apr 24, 2008
Spine wrote:
My Corolla hasn't skipped a beat after 28k. Its still a far cry from its 70k warranty. I just think its a bad move to leave Gibbs after all they have done for Tony and Zippy. They stuck with him every time he said or did something that people took offense too. I just don't want to see him go and it upsets me a little.
Debi Does and Terry, you guys are right. Were all right about our own opinions. I just hate to see the Giibs/HomeDepot/Stewart/Zippy thing get broke up.
Thanks for not taking me to the cleaners with your responses.
If he does go You wonder who he will get to come with him. That my friend will be very interesting if this does come to pass!

“If you say so...”

Since: Dec 06

South Central Indiana

#19 Apr 24, 2008
Spine wrote:
I wont go with him.
I love Tony, He's been my driver since I started watching in '99. I was ecstatic when I found out that JGR was switching to Toyota. I have drove Toyota's for years, and always felt a little dirty on the inside for rooting for a Chevy. I worked at a Chevy dealership and know first hand how crappy of a product it really is. Since the begging of the year I have picked up Kyle as one of my favorites. If Tony leaves Gibbs I will not follow him to his new ride. I will become 100% Kyle and Denny. Dont forget Joey is on the way in too. How dumb you gotta be to want to leave a team like Gibbs? With the switch to Tonyotas they have been stronger than ever. What a dumb idea. Whatever, If Tonys that big of an elitist that he wont drive for a foreign manufacturer, then go, go drive your crappy Chevy for RCR. That will make it all the easier for Kyle to win a Championship.
I know everyone is saying to take a beep breath and wait for something official. But this IS going to happen. F Tony if he leaves.
P.S. Looks like I got about 15 Die-cast #20 cars to sell on eBay. The good ones.
Kyle FTMFW!
If Tony would be considered elitist for not wanting to run a Toyota, what would you be considered for not wanting to cheer for him if he ran a Chevy?

I'm not a fan of the man, but damn, it's his career. It's in his best interest to explore his options. And as good as he is, he has plenty of them. Besides, he'll eventually leave Na$$car altogether and go back to running dirt anyway.
Spine

United States

#20 Apr 24, 2008
Tony Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW-do you go to SIU?
Nope. Just An IT Guy At Sports Blast.
Spine

United States

#21 Apr 24, 2008
Teri wrote:
<quoted text>
If Tony would be considered elitist for not wanting to run a Toyota, what would you be considered for not wanting to cheer for him if he ran a Chevy?
I cheered for him in a Pontiac, Chevy, and Toyota. If hes going to retire I want him to retire from Gibbs. He's gonna do what he has to do. I just want to express my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Busch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR Just Made Its New Road Course-Oval Track... Jan '18 ThisPhartse 2
News Are Tony Stewart's Days as a Contender Over? (May '14) Feb '16 Fart news 23
News NASCAR reinstates Kurt Busch; grants him waiver... (Mar '15) Mar '15 stewart scott 9
News What Hillary Clinton Said About Email in 2000 (Mar '15) Mar '15 Hughes Muse 2
News Stewart says team has plan in place should lega... (Feb '15) Mar '15 NASCAR Insider 9
News NASCAR driver accused of abuse says ex is train... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Dave 1
News NASCAR drivers most likely to throw a punch (May '14) May '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 3