Dale Earnhardt Jr. not thrilled with 11th-place Atlanta finish

Oct 26, 2008 Full story: www.scenedaily.com 66

Hendrick Motorsports' Dale Earnhardt Jr. was frustrated after finishing 11th in the Pep Boys 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#1 Oct 27, 2008
No offense but other drivers had problems too. JJ was a lap down and look what he did. Jr is to concerned about not wrecking his car but crap happens to the best. He needs to be a little more aggressive. JMO
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#2 Oct 27, 2008
Oh, and by the way, I am not thrilled either with a 11th place finish. He can do better.

“global warming is a hoax”

Since: Apr 08

knoxville

#3 Oct 27, 2008
he'd better get used to it.
he seems to have settled in right around there for his career stats.
iceman01

Marshall, MN

#4 Oct 27, 2008
Earl Keese wrote:
he'd better get used to it.
he seems to have settled in right around there for his career stats.
agreed, I really think his dad would not be thrilled with his performance over the last couple of years, both on and off the track

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#5 Oct 27, 2008
Earl Keese wrote:
he'd better get used to it.
he seems to have settled in right around there for his career stats.
Hey, I know a few drivers who would love to have his stats.

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#6 Oct 27, 2008
iceman01 wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed, I really think his dad would not be thrilled with his performance over the last couple of years, both on and off the track
His personal life is just that, personal. I think his dad would've been proud, but you're right. I think he needs to step it up.
Christy88

San Antonio, TX

#7 Oct 27, 2008
Dalesgirl wrote:
Oh, and by the way, I am not thrilled either with a 11th place finish. He can do better.
I second that one!!!!!
over88ted

United States

#8 Oct 27, 2008
Earl Keese wrote:
he'd better get used to it.
he seems to have settled in right around there for his career stats.
Yeah its funny.
Everyone thought that he was going to be a world beater if he could just get some good equipment. Well, now he has it. He is sliding further toward mediocre with every race.
JJ and JG however continue to improve. I guess the cream really does rise to the top.
Everyone needs to face it...Jr is NOT that great of a racer. He may be a fine guy..i'm sure he is..but he's just not a top level racer.
He is very very popular and a media force to behold. But popularity dont win races or championships.
He needs to get a little of the aggression that KB has and pair it with the finesse that JJ an JG have and he'd really be a fine racer.
I just dont know if he really WANTS it.

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#9 Oct 27, 2008
over88ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah its funny.
Everyone thought that he was going to be a world beater if he could just get some good equipment. Well, now he has it. He is sliding further toward mediocre with every race.
JJ and JG however continue to improve. I guess the cream really does rise to the top.
Everyone needs to face it...Jr is NOT that great of a racer. He may be a fine guy..i'm sure he is..but he's just not a top level racer.
He is very very popular and a media force to behold. But popularity dont win races or championships.
He needs to get a little of the aggression that KB has and pair it with the finesse that JJ an JG have and he'd really be a fine racer.
I just dont know if he really WANTS it.
Your right. Popularity doesn't win races or championships. He is not mediocre however. He is a pretty decent driver. I think Jr really wants it.
montgomery

Luverne, AL

#10 Oct 27, 2008
I would not either when he should have finished in the top 5.

Since: Aug 08

Miami,FL

#11 Oct 27, 2008
I dont know of any driver that would be thrilled to place 11th big deal.
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#12 Oct 27, 2008
Tammy TEA wrote:
I dont know of any driver that would be thrilled to place 11th big deal.
Especially being in the chase. Makes no sense.
oldlurker

Mishawaka, IN

#13 Oct 27, 2008
over88ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah its funny.
Everyone thought that he was going to be a world beater if he could just get some good equipment. Well, now he has it. He is sliding further toward mediocre with every race.
JJ and JG however continue to improve. I guess the cream really does rise to the top.
Everyone needs to face it...Jr is NOT that great of a racer. He may be a fine guy..i'm sure he is..but he's just not a top level racer.
He is very very popular and a media force to behold. But popularity dont win races or championships.
He needs to get a little of the aggression that KB has and pair it with the finesse that JJ an JG have and he'd really be a fine racer.
I just dont know if he really WANTS it.
Interesting last line in your post. I was re-reading Kenny Schrader's book "Gotta Race" last week and in the part where he talks about Jr, he says something to the effect of "Dale Jr doesn't give a (expletive deleted) about what the fans or anyone else thinks... he just wants to race" -- wonder if there is some truth in that in the sense that as long as he is racing at the top level of the circuit and making a whole lot of money, that is enough for him. It just seems like something is keeping him from reaching that last level of achievement. JMHO

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#14 Oct 27, 2008
oldlurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting last line in your post. I was re-reading Kenny Schrader's book "Gotta Race" last week and in the part where he talks about Jr, he says something to the effect of "Dale Jr doesn't give a (expletive deleted) about what the fans or anyone else thinks... he just wants to race" -- wonder if there is some truth in that in the sense that as long as he is racing at the top level of the circuit and making a whole lot of money, that is enough for him. It just seems like something is keeping him from reaching that last level of achievement. JMHO
I don't know if that statement is true or not, but I assure you he races his heart out every single week.
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#15 Oct 27, 2008
oldlurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting last line in your post. I was re-reading Kenny Schrader's book "Gotta Race" last week and in the part where he talks about Jr, he says something to the effect of "Dale Jr doesn't give a (expletive deleted) about what the fans or anyone else thinks... he just wants to race" -- wonder if there is some truth in that in the sense that as long as he is racing at the top level of the circuit and making a whole lot of money, that is enough for him. It just seems like something is keeping him from reaching that last level of achievement. JMHO
Maybe it is the fear of suscess. He has in him him to win, but yet I feel something is holding him back.
Poetry

Birch Run, MI

#16 Oct 27, 2008
I agree, something has to be holding him back. Maybe it's mental. He's a good driver, regardless of what people say...if he wasn't, he'd be running in the back, but he always runs top 5/10.

Maybe they need to bring Tony Sr. back as his CC. That's really when he was most successful.

Since: Jul 08

Watseka, IL

#17 Oct 27, 2008
For pete's sake, Junior's fire and drive in that racecar is perfectly fine. Fear of success? Oh please. If he had a fear of success he would have stayed at DEI for the entire duration of his career. He owuld have had a top five for sure if Tony Jr had decided to come in and get tires. Not sure why he didn't.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#18 Oct 27, 2008
I've said this before and I'll say it again. A driver is no better than his crew chief's ability to take what the driver says the car is or isn't doing and make the correct decisions for the changes necessary to make the car perform at it's best for that driver. I don't care how long they've been together and how much they think of each other, Jr. needs a more technically proficient crew chief than Tony Jr. Jeff is in the same boat. Steve and Tony Jr. would make a great car chief but they just not cutting in their current positions and I will be truely surprised if Rick doesn't make some drastic changes after the season.
Smartazz

Mechanicsville, VA

#19 Oct 27, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again. A driver is no better than his crew chief's ability to take what the driver says the car is or isn't doing and make the correct decisions for the changes necessary to make the car perform at it's best for that driver. I don't care how long they've been together and how much they think of each other, Jr. needs a more technically proficient crew chief than Tony Jr. Jeff is in the same boat. Steve and Tony Jr. would make a great car chief but they just not cutting in their current positions and I will be truely surprised if Rick doesn't make some drastic changes after the season.
I couldn't agree with you more!!! You nailed it right on the head.
Dalesgirl

Cleveland, OH

#20 Oct 27, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again. A driver is no better than his crew chief's ability to take what the driver says the car is or isn't doing and make the correct decisions for the changes necessary to make the car perform at it's best for that driver. I don't care how long they've been together and how much they think of each other, Jr. needs a more technically proficient crew chief than Tony Jr. Jeff is in the same boat. Steve and Tony Jr. would make a great car chief but they just not cutting in their current positions and I will be truely surprised if Rick doesn't make some drastic changes after the season.
Right on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kurt Busch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NASCAR reinstates Kurt Busch; grants him waiver... Mar 23 stewart scott 9
News What Hillary Clinton Said About Email in 2000 Mar 17 Hughes Muse 2
News Stewart says team has plan in place should lega... Mar 2 NASCAR Insider 9
News NASCAR driver accused of abuse says ex is train... Jan '15 Dave 1
News Are Tony Stewart's Days as a Contender Over? (May '14) May '14 flatt 13
News NASCAR drivers most likely to throw a punch (May '14) May '14 WWE CRASHCAR 2014 3
News Kurt Busch-Keselowski feud flares up just in ti... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Kurtfann41 1
More from around the web