Penalties for 10 teams after Daytona

There are 20 comments on the Feb 20, 2008, The Indianapolis Star story titled Penalties for 10 teams after Daytona. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Robby Gordon was docked 100 points and his crew chief was suspended for six races and fined $100,000 as NASCAR penalized 10 teams in its three national series for infractions found at Daytona International ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
huhn

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2008
What a big surprise about Hendrick team cheating, yea right!
NASCAR a joke

Pendleton, IN

#2 Feb 21, 2008
Gordon docked 100 points for showing up at inspection with a nose that his new team affiliation mistakenly gave him. This is a total BS move. Considering that Mikey got 100 for actually try to qualify with jet fuel and the Hendricks got either -25 or nothing from last years Daytona inspections. NASCAR officials should be ashamed of them selves. Robby rubs people the wrong way a lot but what he did by switching from Ford to Dodge in less than 3 weeks was short of miraculous. What Crapcar doesn't understand is that this is the very thing that is costing them viewer ship and fans. What Gordon did would have made Neil Bonnet, The King, Carl Yarbourgh, Dale Sr. and many more of the old timers proud. It showed you don't have to have 100 million dollar payroll to put a competitive car on the track. They want to get back to the roots? Then quit this arbitrary hold a wet finger in the wind rule and penalty cr ap. Penalize him if you must but for what they did should not have been more than 25.
mike in indy

Sellersburg, IN

#3 Feb 21, 2008
NASCAR a joke wrote:
Gordon docked 100 points for showing up at inspection with a nose that his new team affiliation mistakenly gave him. This is a total BS move. Considering that Mikey got 100 for actually try to qualify with jet fuel and the Hendricks got either -25 or nothing from last years Daytona inspections. NASCAR officials should be ashamed of them selves. Robby rubs people the wrong way a lot but what he did by switching from Ford to Dodge in less than 3 weeks was short of miraculous. What Crapcar doesn't understand is that this is the very thing that is costing them viewer ship and fans. What Gordon did would have made Neil Bonnet, The King, Carl Yarbourgh, Dale Sr. and many more of the old timers proud. It showed you don't have to have 100 million dollar payroll to put a competitive car on the track. They want to get back to the roots? Then quit this arbitrary hold a wet finger in the wind rule and penalty cr ap. Penalize him if you must but for what they did should not have been more than 25.
The point is that they would love to drop Robby Gordon out of the top 35 which they have for now with this move. If this were Hendrick, Rousch, or Gibbs, it would not have came close to a 100 point penalty.
They have set the bar pretty high this year for repeat offenders such as Chad Knouse, or we are seeing how NASCAR manipulates rules, penalties, and yellow flags to impact results without shame.
Indy RIP 1911-1995

Hamilton, OH

#4 Feb 21, 2008
What is the point of pre race inspection if you get penalized? If its wrong, they tell you to go fix it. I think in Gordon's case, everyone knew that it was a parts mixup after changing to Dodge in a few weeks. Not like he raced with it. And if it was not approved, did they really think they would get through inspection? Get real NASCAR
Indy RIP 1911-1995

Hamilton, OH

#5 Feb 21, 2008
Robby, come back to the new and improved IRL (CART 2.0)!
Whoyakidding

Cary, NC

#6 Feb 21, 2008
NASCAR gives a team all the time they want to correct problems with their car right up to the moment they present it for inspection. At that moment NASCAR rules state that teams will be held responsible for any irregularities with the car. I agree with the premise that the team should know whether or not they are installing an authorized part regardless of where it came from. In Robby's case in was a part shipped direct from Dodge however the team had the responsibility to ensure it was the correct part before it was installed. I am delighted NASCAR is finally being consistent on something. It's regretable that this happened to Robby and set him and his team back but his penalties are not greater that what NASCAR passed out last year even though they said they would continue to rachet them up till the teams decide not to mess with this car.
sportfan

Leitchfield, KY

#7 Feb 21, 2008
mike in indy wrote:
<quoted text>The point is that they would love to drop Robby Gordon out of the top 35 which they have for now with this move. If this were Hendrick, Rousch, or Gibbs, it would not have came close to a 100 point penalty.
They have set the bar pretty high this year for repeat offenders such as Chad Knouse, or we are seeing how NASCAR manipulates rules, penalties, and yellow flags to impact results without shame.
I could not agree more, Nascar would love to see Robby Gordon drop out the of the top 35, and make room for one of the high dollar teams(GEM #10 or any of MWR cars).
Nascar has always been inconsistent with there rules and judgements.
I personally think that what Robby Gordon has done in the past year, the switch to Dodge, and being in the top 35 in points(last year) is amzing. He operates a single car car team which is under finaced and still manages to keep his head above water.I have been a Na$car fan since the early 1970's and in this day of high dollar multi-car teams, Robby Gordon is throwback to the early days of Winston Cup.I wish more race fans would notice this.
Jim

Beans Purchase, NH

#8 Feb 21, 2008
mike in indy wrote:
<quoted text>The point is that they would love to drop Robby Gordon out of the top 35 which they have for now with this move. If this were Hendrick, Rousch, or Gibbs, it would not have came close to a 100 point penalty.
Fortunatly for RG he has 4 races left to get his points up until they start using this years top 35.

He is still locked in the next four races because they use the top 35 from 2007.
Terry

United States

#9 Feb 21, 2008
USA Today has a story on it today. It was a inocent mistake made by someone not even on his team. It was bascially a clerical error and was discovered during technical inspection and corrected. The sad thing is I don't think you'll be seeing many if any single car teams left in the future. I give him credit for hanging in there. There seems to be alot of who don't care for Robby. No matter what anyone thinks of him give him credit for busting his butt and trying to hang with the big dogs.
christy88

San Antonio, TX

#10 Feb 21, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunatly for RG he has 4 races left to get his points up until they start using this years top 35.
He is still locked in the next four races because they use the top 35 from 2007.
I really hope RG came make up those points,I think he deserves to be out there driving with the other drivers a
Whoyakidding

Cary, NC

#11 Feb 21, 2008
Terry wrote:
USA Today has a story on it today. It was a inocent mistake made by someone not even on his team. It was bascially a clerical error and was discovered during technical inspection and corrected. The sad thing is I don't think you'll be seeing many if any single car teams left in the future. I give him credit for hanging in there. There seems to be alot of who don't care for Robby. No matter what anyone thinks of him give him credit for busting his butt and trying to hang with the big dogs.
Terry, you're absolutely right. Robby has done an outstanding job of keeping his one car operation in action. Robby has gained a tremendous amount of respect in last couple of years for the hard work and struggle that he has gone through to keep his operation racing. I feel for the team but for NASCAR to gain respect also I agree that they must enforce their rule book the same for everyone. In order to effectively enforce the regulations they must remain dedicated to the principle that the team is responsible for the car that they roll into the inspection bay and it is judged solely on the it's condition at that moment. Allowing the teams to pull their cars and correct deficiencies and get re-inspections without a penalty would turn the inspection process into a fiasco. No, NASCAR has to keep the heat on the teams to bring a correct car to the inspection so the process can move smoothly and get the cars on the track.
Truthiness

Jeffersonville, IN

#12 Feb 21, 2008
One NASCAR conspiracy theory is absolutely true. NASCAR is determined to get Robby Gordon out.
JLR

United States

#13 Feb 21, 2008
Robby, Come back to IRL, Napcar has it out for you because you do not fit there image. What Gordon has accomplished over the past few years is incredible for an owner/driver against hedricks,gibbs,Roush,Penske. for him to finish 8th on the budget he is working with is great. This new just makes me hate Napcar even more. Lets get Stewart and Gordon back to open wheel.

Since: Feb 08

Fairfax, VA

#14 Feb 21, 2008
NASCAR a joke wrote:
The penalty Nascar levied against Robby Gordon is absurd. Robby threw that car together 10 days before the 500. Anyone that knows anything about racing knows this feat was against all the odds. The front nose was sent from Dodge. This was not a case of trying to get the car by the inspectors. The truth of the matter is that Robby Gordon doesn't fit the NASCAR corporate mold. Rather than NASCAR celebrate this unbeleivable feat of putting a car together in 10 days, qualifying for the 500 and finishing 8th, they chose to try to cripple him. A single car owner trying to get a foothold in the series. Shame on NASCAR again. Keep it up NASCAR, keep alienating your shrinking fan base in your corporate sludge.
Whoyakidding

Cary, NC

#15 Feb 21, 2008
Truthiness wrote:
One NASCAR conspiracy theory is absolutely true. NASCAR is determined to get Robby Gordon out.
Why? What sense does it make for NASCAR to try get rid of it's competitors? Each driver or team that is lost is a lose in revenue and viewership for them. A lot of people's sole interest in a sport is based on the partipation of one individual. No, I don't think NASCAR has a conspiracy to get rid of any of the teams or drivers. It's just hard for some people to grasp the fact that each team is responsible for the compliance of their car to NASCAR rules when they submit it for inspection. NASCAR shouldn't have make determinations on what the teams intent was, just whether the car in front of them meets the rules. If it doesn't, listen for the hammer to fall.
mike in indy

Sellersburg, IN

#16 Feb 21, 2008
Ex Fan wrote:
<quoted text> The penalty Nascar levied against Robby Gordon is absurd. Robby threw that car together 10 days before the 500. Anyone that knows anything about racing knows this feat was against all the odds. The front nose was sent from Dodge. This was not a case of trying to get the car by the inspectors. The truth of the matter is that Robby Gordon doesn't fit the NASCAR corporate mold. Rather than NASCAR celebrate this unbeleivable feat of putting a car together in 10 days, qualifying for the 500 and finishing 8th, they chose to try to cripple him. A single car owner trying to get a foothold in the series. Shame on NASCAR again. Keep it up NASCAR, keep alienating your shrinking fan base in your corporate sludge.
The saddest part will be trying to find someone on television or print media to speak up against NASCAR on this or any other matter. They are all mouthpieces for NASCAR who will never say a bad word for worry of losing their jobs, except for Dave Despain and Robin Miller.
mike in indy

Sellersburg, IN

#17 Feb 21, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Why? What sense does it make for NASCAR to try get rid of it's competitors? Each driver or team that is lost is a lose in revenue and viewership for them. A lot of people's sole interest in a sport is based on the partipation of one individual. No, I don't think NASCAR has a conspiracy to get rid of any of the teams or drivers. It's just hard for some people to grasp the fact that each team is responsible for the compliance of their car to NASCAR rules when they submit it for inspection. NASCAR shouldn't have make determinations on what the teams intent was, just whether the car in front of them meets the rules. If it doesn't, listen for the hammer to fall.
Robby Gordon is not the most attractive competitor for NASCAR. He is a single car operation with his major sponsor being a liquor company that cannot pay to advertise on television. So they are not penalizing a team that would cost them any money in ways of revenue. If he is on a big team sponsored by Bud, Home Depot, DuPont, etc..., they do not penalize him out of the top 35 in points.
Terry

Kansas City, MO

#18 Feb 21, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Terry, you're absolutely right. Robby has done an outstanding job of keeping his one car operation in action. Robby has gained a tremendous amount of respect in last couple of years for the hard work and struggle that he has gone through to keep his operation racing. I feel for the team but for NASCAR to gain respect also I agree that they must enforce their rule book the same for everyone. In order to effectively enforce the regulations they must remain dedicated to the principle that the team is responsible for the car that they roll into the inspection bay and it is judged solely on the it's condition at that moment. Allowing the teams to pull their cars and correct deficiencies and get re-inspections without a penalty would turn the inspection process into a fiasco. No, NASCAR has to keep the heat on the teams to bring a correct car to the inspection so the process can move smoothly and get the cars on the track.
Good post Who. I agree you have to have rules. If you look at everytime a driver gets nailed for an infraction. For instance like Waltrip last year all his fans will come out saying Mikey didn't know and stand behind him or Jimmie fans or Jr.fans you name it.
Every time this happens the sh#t flys between the fans. I don't see that changing. You can check out the threads everytime it happens. As a crew chief I think you get as creative as you can if you get nailed for and infraction pay the price and move on thats racing!
G money

Marion, IN

#19 Feb 21, 2008
They are all no better than the NE Patriots. CHEATERS.

Since: Oct 07

Brewerton, NY

#20 Feb 21, 2008
Robby got a fair penalty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kertus Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hard work, determination the calling cards of K... (Aug '08) Mar '10 MandM 37
News Mike Wallace to return to JD Motorsports for 20... (Nov '09) Dec '09 Jennifer Watts 9
Pictures of Kertus Davis & Team from New Hampsh... (Dec '08) Nov '09 Jennifer Watts 38
News Race rewind: Daytona - Nationwide Series July 9 (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jennifer Watts 1
Kertus Davis (Jul '09) Jul '09 Jennifer Watts 1
News Kertus Davis OK after NASCAR ride bursts into f... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Jennifer Watts 2
Kertus Davis (Apr '09) Jul '09 Jennifer Watts 24
More from around the web