Montoya wins NASCAR pole, but is then...

Montoya wins NASCAR pole, but is then disqualified

There are 26 comments on the The Florida Times-Union story from Sep 27, 2008, titled Montoya wins NASCAR pole, but is then disqualified. In it, The Florida Times-Union reports that:

Less than an hour after Juan Pablo Montoya celebrated his first NASCAR Sprint Cup pole, it was taken away from him because of a technical violation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Florida Times-Union.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Juárez, Mexico

#22 Sep 29, 2008
Seems he quit charging about halfway. Maybe he learned something about charging to the front by watching Edwards/Harvick and L. Burton moving up more spots than he did. But thats enough of this---Talledega coming up--can't wait.
Kong

Boynton Beach, FL

#23 Sep 29, 2008
Rich Brannon wrote:
Seems he quit charging about halfway. Maybe he learned something about charging to the front by watching Edwards/Harvick and L. Burton moving up more spots than he did. But thats enough of this---Talledega coming up--can't wait.
Looking forward to Talledega. Maybe Edwards/Harvick and Burton learned something from Montoya's 2nd place finish there this year.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#24 Sep 29, 2008
Kong wrote:
<quoted text>
Looking forward to Talledega. Maybe Edwards/Harvick and Burton learned something from Montoya's 2nd place finish there this year.
Here's hoping he puts it on the pole this week and NASCAR doesn't find some obscure rule to take it away and then he improves one spot on the spring race. I don't care if Chip Ganassi ever wins anything else but Juan has drove his tail off this year and did it cleanly. I'd love to see the man is a really good car.
geeeman

AOL

#25 Sep 29, 2008
COOPER from Atlanta Georgia.
You appear to be a sensible gentleman. WHY did NASCAR switch to the COT? I know it appears to survive crashes better than the old car, but my little experience watching Nascar, The racing was better with the old car. Every race, you have about 3-5 cars that have the BEST chance to win every race. another 5-15 cars that have "Lead-lap" capability, another 10 or so)#55, 42, 43, 22 etc,) who are out there to appease the sponsors, then you got your Robby Gordons,(Whomever's driving the lil debbie car) Kyle Petty, and a few others ALWAYS ringing up the rear, 1 to 2 laps EVER RACE.
Kong

Utica, KY

#26 Sep 30, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
<quoted text>Here's hoping he puts it on the pole this week and NASCAR doesn't find some obscure rule to take it away and then he improves one spot on the spring race. I don't care if Chip Ganassi ever wins anything else but Juan has drove his tail off this year and did it cleanly. I'd love to see the man is a really good car.
Hey Wyk, I couldn't agree more. Juan is making the best of the situation he's in - driving a crappy Dodge with a dysfunctional team this year. I hope he can turn it around next year and catches the eye of a competitive team - sucks to see his talent wasted. Noticed the obvious again this year, he's Very good and up front on the road courses and seems as though he's very comfortable & competitive hauling ass on the Super Speedway's.
cooper

Atlanta, GA

#27 Sep 30, 2008
geeeman wrote:
COOPER from Atlanta Georgia.
You appear to be a sensible gentleman. WHY did NASCAR switch to the COT? I know it appears to survive crashes better than the old car, but my little experience watching Nascar, The racing was better with the old car. Every race, you have about 3-5 cars that have the BEST chance to win every race. another 5-15 cars that have "Lead-lap" capability, another 10 or so)#55, 42, 43, 22 etc,) who are out there to appease the sponsors, then you got your Robby Gordons,(Whomever's driving the lil debbie car) Kyle Petty, and a few others ALWAYS ringing up the rear, 1 to 2 laps EVER RACE.
From what I understand NASCAR, thought up the COT to try an level the playing field and improve safety for the drivers. Ultimately, money has and always will win races on the track. The big teams with money are able to attract the best crews and test/tweak their cars to beat out the others. The biggest teams actually have several different cars that they tweak for the different tracks. Obviously this is an advantage to the little teams that don't have the money to do this. I heard one of the announcers say this past weekend that NASCAR is looking at widening the wheels of the cars which should make for more exciting racing and maybe level the playing field a little more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Juan Pablo Montoya Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IRS Waves Black Flag At Race Car Driver Juan Pa... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Virginia 1
News Kenseth wins duel with Kahne at Bristol (Aug '13) Aug '13 flatt 2
News NASCAR: Juan Pablo Montoya won't be back at Gan... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Whoyakidding 15
News Danica Patrick, team expect to 'make a statemen... (Jul '13) Jul '13 danicrash 24
News Montoya likely driving to save Sprint Cup career (Jun '13) Jun '13 Snow 19
News EGR switching from Earnhardt to Hendrick engines (Nov '12) Nov '12 arthur 1
News NASCAR: Win moves Bowyer to 4th in Chase standings (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 1
More from around the web