Brickyard moments: Good, bad and empty

Jul 27, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Journal Gazette

And now a few final thoughts on the Brickyard 400, as Juan Pablo Montoya rides off into the sunset , leaving behind a pack of sweating media gerbils fruitlessly awaiting a word or two: 1 Montoya is the new Andretti: Somewhere along the line, the man paid serious offense to Indy and all its vengeful ghosts.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jul 28, 2010
barr

Temperance, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

happy for McMurray. And I hope Montoya never wins a race. What a dick.
Chads Missing Upper Lip

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

Happy that anyone other than Jimmie and Cheating Chad won the race
syg

Central District, Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

barr wrote:
I'm not sure Montoya is a dick, but he is not a winner in NASCAR. Winning a pole is not winning a race. To win a race, you have to be ahead at the finish! To blame the decision to put 4 tires on the car is just another example of JPM's "it's not my fault" style.
He had 4 fresh tires. He crashed himself with 4 fresh tires by overdriving the car. Period. End of story.
TMow

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

barr wrote:
I agree. Montoya has been an idiot since he moved to NASCAR. Kyle Busch is almost as bad. He needs a MAJOR attitude adjustment!
A Real Fan

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Don't compare Montoya with Kyle. Kyle is a champion compared to Montoya.
The Fat and the Furious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Judged:

syg wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure Montoya is a dick, but he is not a winner in NASCAR. Winning a pole is not winning a race. To win a race, you have to be ahead at the finish! To blame the decision to put 4 tires on the car is just another example of JPM's "it's not my fault" style.
He had 4 fresh tires. He crashed himself with 4 fresh tires by overdriving the car. Period. End of story.
I couldn't agree more. 4 Fresh tires certainly didn't put him in the wall. I think everyone on the track would have liked 4 fresh Goodyear's. Everyone has to make a call on what to do in those situations and sometimes you get it right and sometimes you get it wrong, but 4 fresh tires don't put you in the wall. As you mentioned, he simply overdrove the car out of desperation to get back up there and win it.
WWE CRASHCAR 2010

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

".......Somewhere along the line, the man paid serious offense to Indy and all its vengeful ghosts.

The offense was trading real race cars for that NASCAR piece of crap COT! Same goes for Hornish.
WWE CRASHCAR 2010

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

Montoya taking out Jr was the best part of the race.
You get over it

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

WWE CRASHCAR 2010 wrote:
Montoya taking out Jr was the best part of the race.
So, what you're saying is that Montoya is good for something, after all? I'd have to agree with you on that.
syg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

WWE CRASHCAR 2010 wrote:
".......Somewhere along the line, the man paid serious offense to Indy and all its vengeful ghosts.
The offense was trading real race cars for that NASCAR piece of crap COT! Same goes for Hornish.
Check out Montoya's record in open wheel in his last 3 years in what you call "real" race cars. In the end, he couldn't win there either.
He needs to get his temper under control and quit blaming everyone else but himself for his lack of winning. If he does that, his natural-born driving skill might start showing as it did early in his career.
When he first came to NASCAR, he could arguably blame his mediocre performance on the equipment. Not anymore. It's just him and he is no more than an average performer in terms of results.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

The Fat and the Furious wrote:
<quoted text>I couldn't agree more. 4 Fresh tires certainly didn't put him in the wall. I think everyone on the track would have liked 4 fresh Goodyear's. Everyone has to make a call on what to do in those situations and sometimes you get it right and sometimes you get it wrong, but 4 fresh tires don't put you in the wall. As you mentioned, he simply overdrove the car out of desperation to get back up there and win it.
Here's the thing. Montoya was in the chase last year and right up there with Stewart and the Hendrick 3. He proved he could get it done and no, that doesn't mean he still can but that's neither here nor there. Fact is he HAS done well through a full season but he's looking to win races now, and most people's opinion make him feel he has something to prove. In a way, he does, but again that's a different topic.

Fact is, and everyone knew: He was the MAN to beat. AND he had a great car. He did was he was supposed to, and with the last round of pit stops - AS EVERY DRIVER WILL AGREE - it was 2 tires and track position for clean air - that was the right call. 4 Tires wouldn't matter. Driving within the limits wouldn't matter. Montoya wanted the win and wrecked trying to make up for a bad call. I truly doubt he cared about finishing well if it wasn't in 1st.
syg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the thing. Montoya was in the chase last year and right up there with Stewart and the Hendrick 3. He proved he could get it done and no, that doesn't mean he still can but that's neither here nor there. Fact is he HAS done well through a full season but he's looking to win races now, and most people's opinion make him feel he has something to prove. In a way, he does, but again that's a different topic.
Fact is, and everyone knew: He was the MAN to beat. AND he had a great car. He did was he was supposed to, and with the last round of pit stops - AS EVERY DRIVER WILL AGREE - it was 2 tires and track position for clean air - that was the right call. 4 Tires wouldn't matter. Driving within the limits wouldn't matter.
Montoya wanted the win and wrecked trying to make up for a bad call. I truly doubt he cared about finishing well if it wasn't in 1st.
Well put. The two tire decision put him in a place where he had to take some chances and he crashed himself. It is a team sport and his team lost...well actually they didn't. His teammate won.

Bottom line: JPM has been in NASCAR since 2006 and he has won one road course race. He finished 8th in the Chase last year but 8 out of 12 is not a memorable season. Every week, he finds a new way to not win. Somehow, he is going to have to overcome the obstacles and win like winning drivers do.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

syg wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put. The two tire decision put him in a place where he had to take some chances and he crashed himself. It is a team sport and his team lost...well actually they didn't. His teammate won.
Bottom line: JPM has been in NASCAR since 2006 and he has won one road course race. He finished 8th in the Chase last year but 8 out of 12 is not a memorable season. Every week, he finds a new way to not win. Somehow, he is going to have to overcome the obstacles and win like winning drivers do.
He had a killer run last year, like top 6 until Stewart cut his tire down in the final race. lol I just looked, and he'd droped 2 from 6th, Stewart droped 1, and Denny leapfrogged 3 spots over them and Biffle.

Yeah, he has this whole thing about trying to prove he can win. Well he won't even know if he can until he learns some patience. He's got a serious imbalance of passion and aggression vs patience and endurance. And the more he doesn't win, the harder he tries, and the more he wrecks...
syg

Kowloon, Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2010

alpinedigital wrote:
<quoted text>
He had a killer run last year, like top 6 until Stewart cut his tire down in the final race. lol I just looked, and he'd droped 2 from 6th, Stewart droped 1, and Denny leapfrogged 3 spots over them and Biffle.
Yeah, he has this whole thing about trying to prove he can win. Well he won't even know if he can until he learns some patience. He's got a serious imbalance of passion and aggression vs patience and endurance. And the more he doesn't win, the harder he tries, and the more he wrecks...
Hopefully, he can win again and get the monkey off his back. Remembering his early open wheel days and occasional moments of brilliance in NASCAR, he is a very very talented driver. I hope he can learn the balance you describe and return to his former glory.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Juan Pablo Montoya Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IRS Waves Black Flag At Race Car Driver Juan Pa... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Virginia 1
Kenseth wins duel with Kahne at Bristol (Aug '13) Aug '13 flatt 2
NASCAR: Juan Pablo Montoya won't be back at Gan... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Whoyakidding 15
Danica Patrick, team expect to 'make a statemen... (Jul '13) Jul '13 danicrash 24
Montoya likely driving to save Sprint Cup career (Jun '13) Jun '13 Snow 19
EGR switching from Earnhardt to Hendrick engines (Nov '12) Nov '12 arthur 1
NASCAR: Win moves Bowyer to 4th in Chase standings (Oct '12) Oct '12 auto world 1

Search the Juan Pablo Montoya Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••