Third entry for Michael Waltrip Racing might be locked out of Daytona 500

There are 4 comments on the Scene Daily story from Feb 4, 2009, titled Third entry for Michael Waltrip Racing might be locked out of Daytona 500. In it, Scene Daily reports that:

CORNELIUS, N.C. Michael Waltrip Racing has two cars locked into the first five NASCAR Sprint Cup races this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scene Daily.

orpen

Brisbane, Australia

#1 Feb 4, 2009
This is a joke...how can Brad A to Z be locked away for the 500 when he had maybe 1 race last year?? If Marcos has to do it the hard way and qualify..he should have the gear now to do it!
CRJ

Murfreesboro, TN

#3 Feb 4, 2009
orpen wrote:
This is a joke...how can Brad A to Z be locked away for the 500 when he had maybe 1 race last year?? If Marcos has to do it the hard way and qualify..he should have the gear now to do it!
I dunno if it's EGR who has the owner points or Finch Racing which is the team that Brad Keselowski is driving for, but Nascar has a rule that on top of the max four teams that a race team can run an untested rookie up to seven races in a fifth team and since Brad falls into that catagory and since combined EGR had six teams in the top 35, then with Finch aligned with EGR, they get one of those owner points. It sounds like somehow, and i dont know how, RCR is going to get the other set which they have an alignment with EGR's engine program, but i dont know how that works in helping RCR get them and with Bill Davis selling his to Penske, Marcos and AJ are screwed but im not a fan of Mikey Waltrip Racing so im glad that one of his cars wont be locked in.
CRJ

Murfreesboro, TN

#4 Feb 4, 2009
wallbanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about Marcos, but, looks like he will probably have to do it by qualifications.
He should have probably stayed in a Blue-Oval, as he would have had a better chance with Roush-Yates horsepower, than an untested Joey Arrington.TuRD-motor.
Did you see that POS-Racing has switched from TRD-built engines over to Joey Arrington Engines for 2009. Check the Team-Chart over on Jayski, if you don't believe me.
Arrington just built and raced his first JAP motor last October. Those should run really great.
Don't you agree.
I have this gut-feeling that Marcos will be doing a-----"I-Hit-The-Hauler ", if he has to qualify on those Arrington engines.
Sorry to see this happen to Marcos, as I was a big fan when he drove Fords; but, can not take this wheeling one of those "foreign' rides, especially being prepared by Motormouth Motorsports.
It will be a long season and I seriously doubt if that team will make it, all the way to Homestead, 10 months of difficult financial-times, POS preparing the cars and running those Arrington Engines.
Sorry!
Ive never been a fan of Ambrose, a nice guy, but because he's from Australia which helps with their diversity program and because he won one Nationwide race on a road course, he gets way too overhyped and i dont see any success for him, whether he's in a Toyota or in a Ford. I think aligning with Mikey Waltrip Racing will be a royal screw up, which only happened because Mikey couldnt find sponsorship to keep McDowell in the ride, and Marcos had Little Debbies and i think alot of this came about when Brad Doughrty became an owner in the team as well. I think they jumped on the Toyota bandwagon and just because they are in a Toyota, then Toyota is going to pump money into horsepower and they'll be dominate, but Mikey Waltrip Racing is going to be in a determining year. I think if Mikey doesnt win in the Napa ride this year, they will bolt.
I think Napa is ready to walk out the door(i think they'll either replace Jack Daniels at RCR, head to Stewart Haas next year, or could be at Gibbs to help fund the fourth JGR car)and i guarantee you that Mikey will go to Napa at the end of the year and offer to step out of the ride and offer them David Reutimann but i think they'll be laughing all the way out the door. I say, if David couldnt be good enough driver to keep UPS from leaving, what in the hell says that h can keep Napa in staying with MWR?
I think Napa will be watching UPS and if Ragan wins races this year and makes the chase(i say he wins two races and makes the chase, but wont be a threat for the championship in the last ten races)i think Napa will be looking over the fence and seeing the grass is greener. I predict that MWR and EGR will be done after this year if they dont merge together.
Smokey

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2009
Buying and selling points are bad for the sport. It certainly hasn't helped the smaller teams, it separates the haves and have nots. It's easy, the fastest 43 cars should race. This system worked before, they should have never had the top 35, it's not fair, bottom line. Nascar started this because of sponsors, well, it's not working. Big sponsors have left the building.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Busch lifted by warm reception from race team u... Mar '15 Gee Tee Pee 3
News Harvick, Logano renew feud with Daytona confron... Feb '15 MrTinkertrain24 1
News Is NASCAR entering fight era? Intensity plus ag... Feb '15 MrTinkerTrain24 1
News Top 20 moments of 2014, #4: NASCAR's new Chase ... Jan '15 WelbyMD 1
News Keselowski And Stewart Fined After Charlotte Sc... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Let it go 12
News Keselowski, Stewart Fined for Postrace Altercation (Oct '14) Oct '14 THE BOZO SHOW 1
News Fantasy NASCAR at Richmond 2014: Picks, Top Dri... (Sep '14) Sep '14 john 1
More from around the web