Prep football: Becker banks on young ...

Prep football: Becker banks on young QB with famous name

There are 106 comments on the St. Cloud Times story from Sep 13, 2007, titled Prep football: Becker banks on young QB with famous name. In it, St. Cloud Times reports that:

“It's nice to see (Johnny) doing well. His brother is doing a good job, too. You're always proud of your kids and grandkids. What's better yet is that they're good students and great kids.”

Never in Dwight Lundeen's nearly four decades as Becker football coach had a freshman started at quarterback. via St. Cloud Times

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Cloud Times.

joe

Eau Claire, WI

#22 Oct 5, 2007
Ok, Benson is the best Becker has to offer. Lundeen and his coaching staff are the best...ever. Benson should have been playing last year instead of sitting on Varsity, then perhaps Becker beats Glencoe. But you dont sit a Hubbard in Becker
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

#23 Oct 5, 2007
Well I watched Benson tonight. He is great! His passing was amazing! He may have throw 1-2 passes that were off, but the rest were right on! His stats won't tell the story because the recievers let a few go through their hands.

This kid is a stud! He is amazing!!! No doubt about it.
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

#24 Oct 5, 2007
Joe from Eu Claire...you been drinking? I have no idea what you are talking about. You the same guy that says Lundeen only wins at home cuz he hires the refs???

Why you say Benson should have been playing last year on varsity? Hubbard was a senior and far better. Benson was in 8th grade. He started on the 10th grade team, and then was moved up to JV.

He got plenty of playing in the week and practiced next to HUbbard. From what I hear, HUbbard helped him a lot.
joe

Eau Claire, WI

#25 Oct 6, 2007
Isnt it the quarterbacks job to throw a ball his recievers can catch. Nueman is a great ballplayer, why he's not catching these great passes , its a mystery to me. Maybe Lundeen and his staff of outstanding coaches can fix this
becker fan

Big Lake, MN

#26 Oct 7, 2007
Could it be becasue Nueman hasn't played in the last 4 games???

Joe, why you hate Becker? Give it up, you know nothing, Nueman is young and was having trouble CATCHING. He was taken out after the 2nd game. Give him time, he'll be good.

Joe find a hole
Football Fan

Big Lake, MN

#27 Oct 7, 2007
Neuman was having a few problems, he'll be back. He is young. He is a good athlete. Now we have some capable recievers. Stralow, Kasper were moved to offense. They are making a difference. The passing game is working better with them.

Joe has a grudge. Probably played against Becker, or was on Lundeen's team and was never played. My guess is he is a basketball fan and knows nothing about football.
joe

Eau Claire, WI

#28 Oct 13, 2007
Good Job Coach Lundeen on another great season
letsGETready4foo tball

Big Lake, MN

#29 Apr 25, 2008
Watched the kid play basketball. Not sure why they don't have him on the varsity. The varsity had little talent, and Benson is all instinct and smart and fast.

He seems bigger as well. If basketball is any indication, he is going to be a much improved quarterback.

Rumor has it they are playing Totino. Not sure why Lundeen would agree to that. My guess is it is just rumor. Anyone hear anything?
football fan

Plymouth, MN

#30 Apr 30, 2008
The kids the real deal.
football fan

Plymouth, MN

#31 Apr 30, 2008
I've heard Becker is playing Totino this year. Should be fun to watch. I still think Becker is down, and Totino is defending champs
joe

Eau Claire, WI

#32 May 4, 2008
It will be fun to watch, young Benson
fan from the south

Mankato, MN

#33 Jun 5, 2008
I had a chance to see the boy in action catching a baseball game. He threw out 6 kids in that game. What an arm!

I also saw him play a little basketball in the metro. His team was overwhelmed, but Benson was a stud who played with passion and heart.

I am going to catch a few of his football games. This kid is an athlete!
Joe

De Forest, WI

#34 Jun 20, 2008
The kid rocks...hope his ego doesnt clash with coaches
Honest Abe

United States

#35 Jul 24, 2008
Are you guys serious? It sounds like the same person is writing all of these under different names! Have you ever met the kid? It's one thing to watch him...yes, he is athletic and didn't look too good last year as a freshman. But, he is the most disrespectful kid I have ever met in my life. He treats teachers and other students so bad that it makes me want to slap his parents for raising him! At a baseball game last summer he decided to show his true character and ride an ump from a previous game. The guy's buddy scared Benson so bad he peed his pants and his parents decided to sue him! The whole family is screwed up and they have a lot of people fooled including Lundeen. I've spoke with a few of the other coaches on the team and they think Benson is an ass and only started because they had no one else.
Honest Abe

United States

#36 Jul 24, 2008
Are you guys serious? It sounds like the same person is writing all of these under different names! Have you ever met the kid? It's one thing to watch him...yes, he is athletic and didn't look too good last year as a freshman. But, he is the most disrespectful kid I have ever met in my life. He treats teachers and other students so bad that it makes me want to slap his parents for raising him! At a baseball game last summer he decided to show his true character and ride an ump from a previous game. The guy's buddy scared Benson so bad he peed his pants and his parents decided to sue him! The whole family is screwed up and they have a lot of people fooled including Lundeen. I've spoke with a few of the other coaches on the team and they think Benson is an ass and only started because they had no one else. Becker, MN
joe

De Forest, WI

#37 Aug 4, 2008
Please, I know the Benson family and they dont deserve any criticism. Johnny Benson is great, he knows it, lundeen knows it, and his teachers know it. He will be better than Posthumous, Potter, and Matt Lundeen. This Kid can play and makes everyone around him better. I wouldnt be surprised to see Division 1 scholarships handed out to his supporting class, he's that good.
wrestler

Big Lake, MN

#38 Aug 19, 2008
I spent many summers wrestling with his older brother at SJU wrestling camp. He is one of the nicest kids I have ever met. So I guess the whole family isn't as screwed up as Honest Abe says. Honest Abe sounds screwed up...spreading jealous rumors.
NOitALL

Plymouth, MN

#39 Aug 19, 2008
I heard he was beat up from some lunatic father from an opposing team. I heard Benson's team had only 9 players and the kid had to play despite an infection in his eyes that left him playing with only his left eye. He batted left handed and despite looking uncoordinated was getting on base repeatedly. He was put out into the outfield instead of his normal catching position. He would drop balls (couldn't see) but would make amazing throws to throw out runners. The opposing team thought he was being cocky and some 3 fathers waited until everyone left the park and beat him up. DIdn't know Benson's parents got the law involved, but if they hadn't then they wouldn't be good parents would they.

I heard the kid had almost a 4.0 so he is smart too. I have a friend that is an assistant in Becker and he loves the kid. Says he is funny and a blast to work with. Tells me the kid is dedicated to sports and weight lifting and loves working with him. I suppose a young kid can have his moments and success can go to your head when you are 16.

But Honest Abe, your story is not what I have heard. I also played football for his grandpa, and if he is John's grand kid, he has to have character. Know all Gag's kids, they are the most humble kids you could meet.

I am going to watch Benson in the STMA rematch and Totino game. Maybe others as well. I have talked to him a few times at SJU games. He and his family sit in the top row left side and they have a family full of boys. The kids look like they are having the time of their lives.
Becker football fan

Becker, MN

#40 Aug 26, 2008
What a joke. You all talk like Johnny is the next Brett Favre. Everyone really knows the reason Johnny is at QB. Its just a shame with all the talent that the Becker kids have that we had to start a freshman, now this year a sophmore. You all think Lundeen is a God why did it take him like 6 trys to win the prep bowl. Its just a shame that a lot of really great and talented kids will never get to enjoy playing in a high school game because of all the politics. You see it at even the lowest level in this town and its hard as parents because we know that by the time they get to the high school level that is doesn't matter how good they are but who you know or are related to. Case in point, out of all the kids at the varsity level, why are kids playing both ways, we certinly have enough good kids not too.
Love the Dogs

Big Lake, MN

#41 Aug 27, 2008
Wow! Becker football fan, you are wrong about so much.

1. Becker plays far less kids both way then any other team. None of the kids started both ways last year until a few had problems in the middle of the year. Then kids like Travis were sent both ways.

You will see more than twice as many Becker kids play in a football game than their opponents. Cambridge played 15 kids, Becker played well over 30 in the Becker/ Camb game.

2. So much talent? What makes kids in Becker more talented than kids in other towns? The water? It isn't talent that makes Becker good. It is good coaching.

3. High numbers? Yes Lundeen has made a program where every kid growing up wants to play and huge amounts go out for football...but the team this year is low! 21 seniors and not many more juniors. My guess is many sophmores will have to step up this year.

4. Politics? Who should they have started at QB last year? Any suggestions? Johnny Benson may not have been great at the beginning of the season, but the kid that should have been starting had quit his freshman year to devote all his time to baseball--thought he;d get a scholarship somewhere in baseball--unfortuntly he peaked young and never did much as a baseball player.

5. The junior quarterbacks were NOT varsity players by any means. They are 1 sport athletes. I'd like to know if any starting quarterbacks in the Mississippi8 are NOT basketball players. Because niether of them were. Jeff was--but he was horrible. Dalton was a wrestler. Neither were dedicated enough to stick it out. They both quit their winter sports as sophmores. That is not quarterback material.

6. Nobody talks about Johnny Benson as the next Brett Farve. He is a great high school quarterback and if you have seen him you would believe it.

You either have a kid that failed in the program--for his own reasons, or your kid hasn't experienced Becker high school football. Because if your son was in the program you would only sing it's praises.

My sons graduated more than 10 years ago and I am still addicted to Becker football and wouldn't miss a game --home or away!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnny Benson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pure Michigan deal to return Johnny Benson to N... (Jan '12) Apr '12 american 5
Johnny Benson "the Gentleman of Nascar" (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jeff 1
News Johnny Benson Will Join Speed TV's Announcing C... (Sep '09) Sep '09 ol wall 20
News Notebook: Rideless Benson eyeing quick return (Jun '09) Jun '09 Race fan Dan 3
News Keanu Reeves Wins Celebrity Category of 2009 To... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Suzanne La Rosa-H... 1
News Driver Benson released from Mich. hospital (Jun '09) Jun '09 Wide_14 5
News Johnny Benson in fair condition (Jun '09) Jun '09 Boknows racing 8
More from around the web