Prep football: Becker banks on young QB with famous name

Sep 13, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: St. Cloud Times

“It's nice to see (Johnny) doing well. His brother is doing a good job, too. You're always proud of your kids and grandkids. What's better yet is that they're good students and great kids.”

Never in Dwight Lundeen's nearly four decades as Becker football coach had a freshman started at quarterback. via St. Cloud Times

Comments
1 - 20 of 106 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2012
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Pete Carrol

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

I really love this kid, I can't wait to meet him. I want him to know we're watching him and happy with what hes doing at age 14. He takes his team to a whole other level. good luch the rest of the season buddy.
-Pete Carrol
Tim Brewster

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

Johnny Benson, if this kid keeps it up, boy, we have a nice warm spot for him here. can't wait to talk to this brilliant talented young man.

_Mr Brewster
George Larson

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

I saw this talented young boy play against the big men in Cambridge and he stood in there like no other QB I've ever seen play this young. He took command of the game, his recievers struggled, but this young talented QB will find a way to complete passes and win games.
Tom Linneman

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

Keep up the good work Johnny, your a very talented player, can't wait to see you in the dome!

-Tom
restricted info

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

This kid is overrated, give me a break, he is recieving way to much special attention and doesnt desrve to be in there with the dig dogs.
get him out of there dwight, I don't care who he's related to, he''s not going to do anything but bring your team down.
Zachory M

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

Johnny, this boy is someting else. I've know Johnny sinse he was tiny, wow, he has come so far it's unbelievable. Give this kid a few more years he'll be this worlds next Farve!
Kooldude08

Saint Cloud, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2007

Judged:

yo, this kid is the bomb man, he knows how 2 get r dun!
seenitall

De Forest, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2007

Judged:

you hit the nail right on the head. this kid is playing for 2010. lundeen knows no matter who plays his team is lousy. he must be getting advice from hegna on how to build a winner.
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2007

Judged:

Not sure Dwight needs advice. And for the sake of the kid, I hope he wasn't thrown in there for that reason. He has a heavy load on his shoulders. Can you imagine what he has to deal with? Who was the previous senior quarterback, and how do the seniors feel with him getting beat out by a freshman?
I watched him play twice and he has the attitude of a winner. He hasn't been great, by any means, but he hasn't been surrounded by any greatness either. He works hard and acts like he has been through many years of football already.
I think he was was 5-23 against Cambridge. Every pass was very close and either in the tips of the fingers of the recievers or just an inch too close to the sideline. I want to watch him again in three weeks. I think he will improve drastically each week--if he can stay positive through all I am guessing he is going through mentally.
Daylon Borst

Becker, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2007

Judged:

Johnnie Benson sucks. He might be good in a year or two but for now he is only being played as a suck up routine from Lundeen to Bensons Grandpa. I think it a very bad decision to have this little shit starting at QB.
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

Judged:

Daylon, Lundeen, like every other coach wants to win. Have you seen any of our other quarterbacks? Benson is the best we have. He is a high school athlete, not a professional athlete. Calling a quarterback a name is something you can do to a quarterback being paid, not to a kid just trying to do his best.
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2007

Judged:

I have seen the kid throw, no doubt about it, he is good--really good.

Lundeen is , without a doubt, one of Minnesota's best coaches.

Daylon Borst's post should be removed
seenitall

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Big Lake football rocks wrote:
I have seen the kid throw, no doubt about it, he is good--really good.
Lundeen is , without a doubt, one of Minnesota's best coaches.
Daylon Borst's post should be removed
I agree, Coach Lundeen is a genius, thats why it took him 30 years to win it all with the largest school in AAA. John Benson is everything a ninth grader should be playing varsity. Learn to hand off, then grow into throwing.
Becker pride

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Judged:

Well Lundeen is 7th on the list of most wins in High school football. So I guess that makes him great. He wasn't always the biggest AAA team. He slowly moved up that. I remember when he moved up to AAA and started as the smallest AAA team.

You sound like fans when Bud Grant was coaching "Yeh he makes it to the championship, but he never wins it." Grant was great despite winning the Super Bowl.

seenitall, I think I have read your posts on women's basketball chats. If you are the same one, I like your posts. WHat you got against Lundeen. He is a great guy. You'd like him.

And he is good. He found a way to win against Buffalo, he was a magician tonight, really they won becuase of great coaching. This team is very, very green. But he us usung every trick in the book to win.
seenitall

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

Judged:

Lets see Lundeen win on the road with this team before we compare him Bum Phillips. Lundeen is famous for getting all the home calls or no calls. Any Victory at home means little or nothing
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

Judged:

Wow seenitall, you got issues if you think that. High schools don't have their own refs that hasn't happened in decades. And Lundeen hadn;t lost a game in his conference in 3 years. You think they play only home games? Finally, in the last 3 years Lundeen had his starters out by half time... in 50% of their games. The games were not won by any close calls.

I don't like to argue with people that talk like you do. I am done with this chat. You lost all my respect.
seenitall

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2007

Judged:

Lets not be naive. Lundeens a good coach, not great; lets leave it at that. As far as using young Benson, I dont believe he makes a difference whether Becker wins or loses. I think anyone of the upperclassmen could handoff just as well. Benson will have his day, Lundeen is just making sure he's got two years preparation.
In the first two victories did any late calls go
Beckers way?
Bulldog fan

Becker, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

Judged:

I have been to every Becker game this year and have seen Johnny make some big improvements from the first game. For a ninth grader I think he is doing great. He started a little slow, but the last two games has shown a lot of confidence. He does not have a talented receiver to throw the ball to like the past teams have had and I think if he did his numbers would be a lot better. I think if he grows a few more inches and gets a little quicker he might be something special in a few years. Right now he has an issue seeing over his line and is a little slow moving around. I haven't done a lot of research, but I would guess there aren't to many ninth graders starting at qb in the state and if there are, they aren't playing for a good football program like Beckers. As for Lundeen, I have a lot of respect for him. He is an amazing coach who brings his kids into each game with a lot of confidence and they expect to win. His assistants are also top notch.
joe

Eau Claire, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Judged:

So it seems were all agreed, John Benson is a better prospect than player and Coach Lundeen is playing for the future.
Becker Fan

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

Judged:

Can I throw something in here? As a parent of a jv player at Big Lake.
I watched Becker's JV quarterback. I wish he were playing on varsity. He is a junior and I know our varsity could have beat Becker if he had been quarterback. The kid isn't very good at all. He is smaller than Benson and can't throw at all. He is slow out of the hike and doesn't seem really bright in the back field.
This is a rebuilding year at Becker (or reloading) Benson is the best quarterback Becker has right now, and he is actually pretty darn good.
I can't believe Lundeen is playing this season to get ready for the next.
Lundeen wants to win right now. Every coach does. Only a fan would say he is starting a player for future seasons.
Benson is the Best Becker has. He lacks in experience, but he has a lot of talent.
With great coaching like Becker has, Becker may be great with a talented, inexperienced quarterback.
But I think some of you are right, if Becker has better recievers next year than this year: LOOK OUT

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Johnny Benson Discussions

Search the Johnny Benson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Pure Michigan deal to return Johnny Benson to N... (Jan '12) Apr '12 american 5
Johnny Benson "the Gentleman of Nascar" (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jeff 1
Johnny Benson Will Join Speed TV's Announcing C... (Sep '09) Sep '09 ol wall 20
Notebook: Rideless Benson eyeing quick return (Jun '09) Jun '09 Race fan Dan 3
Keanu Reeves Wins Celebrity Category of 2009 To... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Suzanne La Rosa-Herlihy 1
Driver Benson released from Mich. hospital (Jun '09) Jun '09 Wide_14 5
Johnny Benson in fair condition (Jun '09) Jun '09 Boknows racing 8
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••