Does winning a rain-shortened race me...

Does winning a rain-shortened race mean less?

There are 9 comments on the blogs.orlandosentinel.com story from Jun 29, 2009, titled Does winning a rain-shortened race mean less?. In it, blogs.orlandosentinel.com reports that:

There is skill to winning rain-shortened races, but that skill doesn't have as much to do with driver as winning full-length races does.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.orlandosentinel.com.

MISSU3

Norfolk, NE

#1 Jun 29, 2009
Only to people who don't like who was leading at the time the race was called. It's always stressed that this is a team sport. Sometimes the main responsibility is on the driver and sometimes it's on the crew chief or the pit crew. I look at it just like preparing for a road course, plate race or short track. You have to have a strategy for all of those and that's what you do when weather is a factor. All 43 (or how many aren't parked) teams had to plot what would happen when or if the rain started. Zippy did it best. Congrats Joey and Gibbs.
nascarisajoke

Elkins, WV

#2 Jun 29, 2009
MISSU3 wrote:
Only to people who don't like who was leading at the time the race was called. It's always stressed that this is a team sport. Sometimes the main responsibility is on the driver and sometimes it's on the crew chief or the pit crew. I look at it just like preparing for a road course, plate race or short track. You have to have a strategy for all of those and that's what you do when weather is a factor. All 43 (or how many aren't parked) teams had to plot what would happen when or if the rain started. Zippy did it best. Congrats Joey and Gibbs.
The monkey is still not off of his back. He has a race win but it still isn't an earned win. That win proved nothing about his driving. Him and Zippy know that he wasn't in contention if that race started again. Zippy had real wins with a real driver and he knows this wasn't one of them.

To win you have to be in contention! He was gifted this race because NASCAR wanted him to have a win.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Jun 29, 2009
A win is a win.

If rain shortened wins mean less, then fuel mileage wins mean less. restrictor plate wins mean less. basically any type of win where the dominent car did not win means less.

18chick

“Sit on it! ”

Since: Jun 08

Kyle Universe

#4 Jun 29, 2009
nascarisajoke wrote:
<quoted text>
The monkey is still not off of his back. He has a race win but it still isn't an earned win. That win proved nothing about his driving. Him and Zippy know that he wasn't in contention if that race started again. Zippy had real wins with a real driver and he knows this wasn't one of them.
To win you have to be in contention! He was gifted this race because NASCAR wanted him to have a win.
BS! It is a win. He earned it, he was credited with it, therefore it is his, now please find something else to complain about. Strategy is the name of the game.

Since: May 08

West Roxbury, MA

#5 Jun 29, 2009
Did he get the trophy?
The money?
How about the points?
Is he now eligible for the All-Star?

A: Yes.

Sounds like a full meaning win to me.

It's not as if someone else could have won differently. The race was called on account of rain. Whoever was going to win was going to win a rain shortened race. There were no other options.
Zippy won this one for the kid.

He will get one the other way eventually.
Chuckles

Cedar Bluff, VA

#6 Jun 29, 2009
It means the money spends the same.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#7 Jun 30, 2009
Ryan Newmans first win was a rain shortenend event at louden...
racefan

China Grove, NC

#8 Jun 30, 2009
read this article.....http://www.hardcor eracefans.com/index.php?start= 4
racefan

China Grove, NC

#9 Jun 30, 2009

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joey Logano Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Logano forced to watch practice as part of NASC... Sep '17 SoPhartse 2
News Earnhardt, Logano facing win or else scenario a... Sep '17 If Phartse 2
News Kyle Busch wins third straight Xfinity race at ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Hilton Head 6
News NASCAR star Joey Logano to kick off Bowlero Col... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Will Dockery 1
looksignorant (Jun '16) Jun '16 pastnascarfan 1
News NASCAR Sprint Cup incident with Logano leaves T... (Mar '16) Mar '16 MrTinkertrain24 1
News Starting a NASCAR team with Powerball winnings (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
More from around the web