Hendrick, Toyota cars swap engines

Hendrick, Toyota cars swap engines

There are 17 comments on the www.thestate.com story from Feb 13, 2008, titled Hendrick, Toyota cars swap engines. In it, www.thestate.com reports that:

All four Hendrick Motorsports teams changed engines after Wednesday's Sprint Cup practices at Daytona International Speedway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.thestate.com.

earnfan

Montrose, CO

#1 Feb 13, 2008
Why, believe there was a miss believing there. I'm a motor head, don't make sense, call me
420Sheriff

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2008
sounds like a scam???
Lisa

Pensacola, FL

#3 Feb 14, 2008
420Sheriff wrote:
sounds like a scam???
if it was a scam, they would not switch engines
420Sheriff

United States

#4 Feb 14, 2008
why did all of them have too?????
Lisa

Pensacola, FL

#5 Feb 14, 2008
420Sheriff wrote:
why did all of them have too?????
there was tainted coating on the lifters.
420Sheriff

United States

#6 Feb 15, 2008
tainted with what?
Lisa

Pensacola, FL

#7 Feb 15, 2008
420Sheriff wrote:
tainted with what?
i do not know what it was tainted with, but it was tainted
420Sheriff

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2008
dang thats alot of taint
Say What

Dryden, Canada

#9 Feb 15, 2008
Had nothing to do with your taint.T
he ceramic coating on the lifters did not adhere properly to the metal. Was flaking off and damaging other internals as well as wearing to the point of failure.
The miss was caused by the clearance change affecting the lift and duration.
Heard on one of the Jr threads that they figure Teresa was to blame....
Clarence

Decatur, GA

#10 Feb 15, 2008
420Sheriff wrote:
dang thats alot of taint
I agree. Sounds as if with all the practice track time, newer engines would have better compression.
Junior Nation

United States

#11 Feb 15, 2008
Say What wrote:
Had nothing to do with your taint.T
he ceramic coating on the lifters did not adhere properly to the metal. Was flaking off and damaging other internals as well as wearing to the point of failure.
The miss was caused by the clearance change affecting the lift and duration.
Heard on one of the Jr threads that they figure Teresa was to blame....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Knew the Teresa theory would get out!!
Whoyakidding

Raleigh, NC

#12 Feb 15, 2008
The information in this article is incorrect concerning where the lifter is and what it does. The lifter in these engines are not hydralic, they are solid and they ride on the lobes on the camshaft. The bottom end of the lifter rides on the camshaft and the top end is fitted with a seat that the pushrod sits in. The top end of the pushrod is seated against the rockerarm and the opposite end of that rockerarm rests on the top end of the valve stem. The lobe on the camshaft is elliptical in shape and the motion of the lifter riding up and down on this lobe is transferred through the pushrod and rockerarm to open the valve at the proper time. The valve is closed by a cylindrical spring mounted on the stem. Since both the bore that the lifters operate in and the lifters are steel, the engine builders have the lifters coated with special materials to reduced the friction between the surfaces and improve the wear. This coating material was found to be flaking off some of the lifters.
Clarence

Decatur, GA

#13 Feb 15, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
The information in this article is incorrect concerning where the lifter is and what it does. The lifter in these engines are not hydralic, they are solid and they ride on the lobes on the camshaft. The bottom end of the lifter rides on the camshaft and the top end is fitted with a seat that the pushrod sits in. The top end of the pushrod is seated against the rockerarm and the opposite end of that rockerarm rests on the top end of the valve stem. The lobe on the camshaft is elliptical in shape and the motion of the lifter riding up and down on this lobe is transferred through the pushrod and rockerarm to open the valve at the proper time. The valve is closed by a cylindrical spring mounted on the stem. Since both the bore that the lifters operate in and the lifters are steel, the engine builders have the lifters coated with special materials to reduced the friction between the surfaces and improve the wear. This coating material was found to be flaking off some of the lifters.
Nice explanation, however, I think the real issue here is credibility.
Say What

Dryden, Canada

#14 Feb 15, 2008
Whoyakidding wrote:
Uh that's what I just said... but mine was simpler.
earnfan

AOL

#15 Feb 15, 2008
Think i'll stick to my knowlege of the trade. NO COMMENT
420Sheriff

United States

#16 Feb 16, 2008
Right oh i mean left????
Dirtysocks

Gouverneur, NY

#17 Feb 16, 2008
If these guys are using ceramic coatings, I believe it is too brittle and very dependant on who applies it. My life is coatings and there are better methods to approach this problem. Trouble with these engine builders (Ihave done work for them) is that they tell you exactly what to do. If they would let us, the coaters do what they need and trust us, they would win this battle. Ego's in this sport must be quite large.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Nemechek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penalty, wreck ruin weekend for Busch (Aug '06) Feb '10 24and48 79
News Slide Show: Nascar Drivers Visit Walter Reed (Sep '09) Sep '09 LTE14 8
News Coke Zero 400 update at the 100-mile mark (Jul '09) Jul '09 ADFAST Marketing 1
News Mayfield among 15 to apply for Cup ownership (Jan '09) May '09 snow 191
News Why did Jeff Gordon win more money than Dale Ea... (Oct '08) Apr '09 race fan 188
News Talladega activity begins Thursday (Apr '09) Apr '09 Just A Casual Fan 11
News Joe Nemechek's Nashville flip stirs memories of... (Apr '09) Apr '09 THE DEVIL 6
More from around the web