Kevin Harvick wins Daytona

Full story: SI.com

Posted: Sunday February 18, 2007 4:06PM; Updated: Sunday February 18, 2007 8:28PM Kevin Harvick barreled around the outside to keep Mark Martin from his first win in 23 tries.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Female SC 24 Nascar Fan

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2007

NASCAR gave that race to Harvick - he didn't win anything legally. The caution flag should have been thrown when the wreck started. Alot of drivers in the back of the pack not caught up in the wreck could have been seriously injured still racing at high speeds or could have seriously injured someone else. They fine and penalize everyone else, they should fine and penalize themselves for that bad call. In my eyes, Mark Martin won that race and I think alot of NASCAR fans feel.
NextelGrrl9

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2007

NASCAR didn't throw the caution flag because they didn't want that to determine the outcome of the race. The wreck was behind the race for the lead, and if you remember last year at Indy, the same thing happened. NASCAR was only trying to please the fans and give them a green flag finish. You may feel that the powers-that-be weren't fair to the Mark Martin fans, but there were the Kevin Hrvick fans to consider as well.
Female SC 24 Nascar Fan

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2007

Not at all. The wreck may have been behind Harvick and Martin, but there were still drivers not involved in the wreck who were still racing to the finish line. That could have made for a very dangerous situation for every, including those already in the wreck. That is why they changed the rules when Rusty Wallace almost got slammed by on coming cars after he had wrecked. My point is, if you make rules, then stick to them. You can't try to please fans at the drivers expense. I am a Jeff Gordon fan, but I was concerned about the safety of the drivers for them not throwing the caution to protect the other drivers.
NextelGrrl9

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2007

I never said that NASCAR was perfect.
jj 18 fan

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2007

National TV, first race of the season, biggest race....NO WAY nascar was going to end it with a caution flag.....Nascar wanted an exciting finish and they got one....although I wanted Martin to win:(

“my ray of sunshine Michael”

Since: Feb 07

Kentucky/North Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2007

I wanted Martin to win too but they did not give Harvick the race
Female SC 24 Nascar Fan

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

I am not saying had they of had another lap or so, Harvick wouldn't have won. I am just saying that waiting to throw the caution as long as they did, they put alot of the other drivers still racing at risk. NASCARs rule has always been once a wreck comes out, the caution is thrown and the field stands where it was at, at the time of the caution. I am just saying, by the rules, the caution should have been thrown in all fairness to everyone else and the safety of the drivers still racing to the checkered flag.
NextelGrrl9

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

No matter what happens, NASCAR will never be able to please everyone. If they had thrown the caution flag, you would have been happy, but a whole legion of other fans would have started cussing them out. The finish was dommed to be controversial either way.
jj 18 fan

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

Ratings, Ratings Ratings......photo finish put in every newspaper in the country. Nascar got what they wanted. Caution flag would not have made that possible......!

“my ray of sunshine Michael”

Since: Feb 07

Kentucky/North Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2007

NextelGrrl9 wrote:
No matter what happens, NASCAR will never be able to please everyone. If they had thrown the caution flag, you would have been happy, but a whole legion of other fans would have started cussing them out. The finish was dommed to be controversial either way.
you are so right cant please everyone if you could it would be a dull place
Female SC 24 Nascar Fan

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2007

My concern by not throwing that flag was for the safety of the other driver behind the wreck. If you have rules set in place, you need to follow them. I would rather see a so-called dull end to a race and know everyone survived to race another week-end. GO JEFF
Stremme Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

GO STREMME!

“"Insane 4 Kahne!"”

Since: Mar 07

Boonsboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2007

Stremme Fan wrote:
GO STREMME!
TO THE GYM!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Joe Nemechek Discussions

Search the Joe Nemechek Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Penalty, wreck ruin weekend for Busch (Aug '06) Feb '10 24and48 79
Slide Show: Nascar Drivers Visit Walter Reed (Sep '09) Sep '09 LTE14 8
Coke Zero 400 update at the 100-mile mark (Jul '09) Jul '09 ADFAST Marketing 1
Mayfield among 15 to apply for Cup ownership (Jan '09) May '09 snow 191
Why did Jeff Gordon win more money than Dale Ea... (Oct '08) Apr '09 race fan 188
Talladega activity begins Thursday (Apr '09) Apr '09 Just A Casual Fan 11
Joe Nemechek's Nashville flip stirs memories of... (Apr '09) Apr '09 THE DEVIL 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••