Where were you on Feb. 18, 2001?

There are 20 comments on the Feb 18, 2010, msn.foxsports.com story titled Where were you on Feb. 18, 2001?. In it, msn.foxsports.com reports that:

Updated Feb 18, 2010 12:20 PM ET Stevie and I were having breakfast and it dawned on me about Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at msn.foxsports.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
X Jr Fan

Dayton, TN

#1 Feb 18, 2010
he wouldn't even recognize the sport with all the lame rules and chase format
Amy

Albany, CA

#2 Feb 18, 2010
In a bar. I looked up and I said oh no does that say Dale Earnhardt (April 29, 1951 February 18, 2001) because he was just in the Daytona 500 an hour ago. Then I cried.
hype

AOL

#3 Feb 18, 2010
i remember i was in the hospital getting my appendix out i actually have the race on tape cause i was in surgery.
CheersForKyle

Zellwood, FL

#4 Feb 18, 2010
Sitting in the stands in Daytona cheering for Mikey, not ever realizing that Earnhardt had been killed. Stopped for gas on the way back to Georgia and someone told me that he was dead. Didn't believe it until we got back in the car and turned on the radio.
Mick B

United States

#5 Feb 18, 2010
After seeing him crash on TV, I thought maybe a broken collar bone or bruised shoulder would all he would have, no big deal.He had worse looking crashes. After Ken Shraeder was interviewed (he got there first) I thought his answer strange but still no big deal.{Kenny already knew.) The TV had a short end of race coverage and off the air.I though that strange but maybe it was about running out of TV time. Later it was announced formally. I was thankful to have seen him win at Talladaga one time, I still remember 160,000 people standing and cheering for him every single lap in that blazing heat all afternoon long.It was the most awsome thing I have ever seen people do for 1 human being. He meant to them what he meant to me, things have never really been the same without him.
Smoke 2008

Farmington, CT

#6 Feb 18, 2010
At home watching the whole damn thing. It was awful.
X Jr Fan

Dayton, TN

#7 Feb 18, 2010
i will always remember him giving Kurt Bucsh the finger out of the window net about mid-race. i say if he had tried to win the race he would still be here today.it's been 9 years and i still can't believe he's gone

“Smokennnnn!!!!”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#8 Feb 18, 2010
I was at a X.F.L. game at the Medowlands with my daughter. They made a announment that Dale Earnhardt had died at Daytona. The place went totaly silent...

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#9 Feb 18, 2010
I was on top of my motorhome in the infield. Couldn't really see the wreck from our vantage point. We had already decided to have dinner before we tryed to leave, so we were cooking when someone came out of another motorhome and said he was dead. I turned the t.v. in the basement on and they had just made a formal announcement. We knew that he had been taken to the hospital but I think it was the biggest shock of my life. It was the quietest, saddest ride I ever took that night driving back from Daytona. I haven't taken my R.V. to Daytona since then. I've been several times since then but not to stay the whole week. It's just not the same anymore. I still feel like crying everytime I get to thinking about it and I'm not very sentimental.

Since: Jul 08

Morgantown, WV

#10 Feb 18, 2010
I wasn't a fan of racing at that time and I started watching the sport a few weeks later because of the fact his death was big news. I may not have seen him race, but I do know that he had a tremedous effect on a great many people. He will always be missed. Can't believe it's been nine years.
montgomery

Luverne, AL

#11 Feb 18, 2010
At home watching the race on t.v
zach_

Carrollton, TX

#12 Feb 18, 2010
"Salute Club", Midway @ Frankford. Dallas TX.("Gators" as of today)Sad day.

Trollersaurus

Concord, NC

#13 Feb 18, 2010
I was watching the race on TV. I knew when he never showed up in VL with Michael that he was gone. I had already started crying. I told my friend that I thought he might be dead or hurt really bad. He told me that I was just being stupid, that they have wrecks like that all the time. Then came the formal announcement and it was true. I still miss him to this day. He was my driver.
Friendly

Alexandria, VA

#14 Feb 19, 2010
at my daddy's watching it on tv, the sport will never be the same without him

“My mind....”

Since: Jul 09

was a terrible thing to waste

#15 Feb 19, 2010
I watched the race on TV, and the short post race show. I remember seeing DW crying because Michael had won.

Then, probably an hour later, I heard he was dead.

If he hadn't been blocking, and would have been racing instead, it probably never would have happened.
BLAHBLAHBLAH

Toledo, OH

#16 Feb 19, 2010
OMYDAM wrote:
I watched the race on TV, and the short post race show. I remember seeing DW crying because Michael had won.
Then, probably an hour later, I heard he was dead.
If he hadn't been blocking, and would have been racing instead, it probably never would have happened.
Blocking on plate tracks is a big part of the racing.The Intimidator raced his ass of and we as fans lost one of the best drivers in auto racing.
bill

London, Canada

#17 Feb 21, 2010
Whoyakidding wrote:
I was on top of my motorhome in the infield. Couldn't really see the wreck from our vantage point. We had already decided to have dinner before we tryed to leave, so we were cooking when someone came out of another motorhome and said he was dead. I turned the t.v. in the basement on and they had just made a formal announcement. We knew that he had been taken to the hospital but I think it was the biggest shock of my life. It was the quietest, saddest ride I ever took that night driving back from Daytona. I haven't taken my R.V. to Daytona since then. I've been several times since then but not to stay the whole week. It's just not the same anymore. I still feel like crying everytime I get to thinking about it and I'm not very sentimental.
You have a basement in your motohome ?
bill

London, Canada

#18 Feb 21, 2010
You have a basement in your motorhome ?
BLAHBLAHBLAH

Toledo, OH

#19 Feb 22, 2010
bill wrote:
I was thinking the same damn thing.

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#20 Feb 22, 2010
bill wrote:
That's what the compartments in the bottom of a motorhome are called. Now that you bring it up, it does look funny to write it like that. That's what those compartments have been called the whole time I've owned an r.v. which is over twenty years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Fox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debris cautions have NASCAR fans buzzing Mar 30 stewart scott 14
News Busch lifted by warm reception from race team u... Mar '15 Gee Tee Pee 3
News Johnson goes for jackpot in Vegas Mar '15 MrTinkerTrain24 3
News NASCAR Still Won't Listen To Any Criticism From... Jan '15 Hilton Head 1
News Jeff Gordon hits NASCAR's Brad Keselowski in pi... Nov '14 Harry Horton 1
News Tony Stewart silence heightens roar of criticism (Aug '14) Aug '14 Manic 2 38
News Another professional athlete questions the spor... (Aug '14) Aug '14 dj oak 1
More from around the web