The Earnhardt yardstick really isn't ...

The Earnhardt yardstick really isn't a fair measure

There are 15 comments on the www.macon.com story from Nov 22, 2008, titled The Earnhardt yardstick really isn't a fair measure. In it, www.macon.com reports that:

Look, you don't have to be a genius to figure out that if you write about Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.macon.com.

MISSU3

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Nov 22, 2008
Absolutely true that Jr. has never claimed to be as good as his dad. While "the nation" wants to blame the media for putting the pressure on Jr., I feel that it's the "nation" its self that has put the pressure on him. They've put him up on a pedestal and expect these high goals from him and then feel they have to blame everyone BUT Jr. for him falling short. Let the guy be what he is...a top 12 driver with a great media personality. The reason Jr. won back to back Busch championships was because of his desire to make his dad proud and the fear of not living up to his dads expectations. That desire and fear is dead. I don't believe he really cares about driving that much anymore.
shut it

New Baltimore, MI

#2 Nov 22, 2008
Opinions are like azzholes..everybody's got one and most are like yours chitty

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Nov 22, 2008
shut it wrote:
Opinions are like azzholes..everybody's got one and most are like yours chitty
more on

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Nov 22, 2008
just playin' shut it!!! lol!!!
Dilbert Pickles

Chapel Hill, NC

#5 Nov 22, 2008
CND BILL FAN

Kitchener, Canada

#6 Nov 23, 2008
MISSU3 wrote:
Absolutely true that Jr. has never claimed to be as good as his dad. While "the nation" wants to blame the media for putting the pressure on Jr., I feel that it's the "nation" its self that has put the pressure on him. They've put him up on a pedestal and expect these high goals from him and then feel they have to blame everyone BUT Jr. for him falling short. Let the guy be what he is...a top 12 driver with a great media personality. The reason Jr. won back to back Busch championships was because of his desire to make his dad proud and the fear of not living up to his dads expectations. That desire and fear is dead. I don't believe he really cares about driving that much anymore.
I feel that Jr. is a bigger man than good ole pops was. At least Jr. races his competitors with respect. All his wins were earned, 10% of Daddy's were stolen.
JPS

Miami, FL

#7 Feb 15, 2009
I just listened to Jimmy Spencer comments about Dale Jr wreck. I'm not a Jr fan but thats racing. Mighty big comments from a fat has been. Jimmy only had the balls to go after one driver(K Busch) and he was half his size and seatbelted in a car. Jimmy was a pussy as a driver and sucks on TV. Jr. was racing and if you want to block, look out. Go back to your retirement chair Jimmy, we don't need your comments.
richard

The Colony, TX

#8 Feb 15, 2009
I also listened to Jimmy's comments. I agree with the previous posting, Jimmy you are a loud mouth fat ass. Secondly, Sr. is looking down saying that is my boy and I taught him well. If the tables were turned could you be saying that about one of your children. Last but not least Jimmy why don't you go report on something that you may have more knowledge about maybe the soapbox derby.
skidrowjoe

Houston, TX

#10 Feb 15, 2009
i agree with the last two posts. jimmy spencer is a loud mouth fat baldheaded jerk. vickers should have just held his line, instead of running jr clear down to the grass. jr couldn't have passed vickers below the double yellow anyway. if he did, they would have black flagged him and gave vickers the spot back anyway. i agree with kenny wallace, there is way too much blocking, the worst being kyle busch. why not go back to racing?
Avenger

Ellicott City, MD

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Here's the deal. Dale Sr. is the measuring stick for Dale Jr. Why?

Because he's the measuring stick for every driver who ever got in a stock car, except maybe Richard Petty.

You know, Jerry "The King" Lawler is one of my favorite pro wrestlers of all time. He's a legend in that field. Yet when his son broke into the business, he used a different name, because he wanted to make his own way. And he did. He became a star in his own right.

Now, I'm not suggesting that Jr. should have changed his name, but his merchandising dept. and his agents, especially in the beginning, really played up that he was Dale Earnhardt's kid. The same was done for Davey Allison, Richard Petty, Kyle Petty, and Dale Jarrett. We see how those turned out, except that Dale Jarrett and Richard Petty matched or eclipsed their fathers' accomplishments. Is it fair? Yes and no. Jr. could have told his management to cut it out, but instead he basked in it until it wore out.

So he is at least somewhat to blame for the comparison. I get compared to my Dad a lot, but you don;t see me caving under the pressure of that, and in my eyes there's no man greater than my Dad.

99 Lisa 18

“Kyle get it together! ”

Since: Oct 08

Carlsville

#12 Feb 15, 2009
I love The King. He goes crazy for the divas.
Avenger

Ellicott City, MD

#13 Feb 15, 2009
Ah, but are you familiar with Lawler's history? the drooling, squealing pervert that you see now is not the man I grew up watching. He could outperform, outclass, and out-badass Hulk Hogan on that 'roid freak's best day.

BTW, when in a NASCAR forum and you mention "The King", it's wise to point out which King. People might start thinking Richard Petty is a pervert.

lol

99 Lisa 18

“Kyle get it together! ”

Carlsville

#14 Feb 15, 2009
LMAO! How do you feel about Mark " The Undertaker" Calaway?
Avenger

Ellicott City, MD

#15 Feb 15, 2009
He is okay, but IMHO, overrated. He has a good schtick, and he's above average in skill. He can't hold a candle to a Steve Austin or Shawn Michaels.

99 Lisa 18

“Kyle get it together! ”

Carlsville

#16 Feb 15, 2009
Avenger wrote:
He is okay, but IMHO, overrated. He has a good schtick, and he's above average in skill. He can't hold a candle to a Steve Austin or Shawn Michaels.
I Think he's awesome. He is extremely agile for a guy his size. He's 43, but still can hang with the best of them. I like Stone Cold and Shawn too. They both could cut a promo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jimmy Spencer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. Excitment (Mar '14) Jun '14 The Green_Hornet 2
Jason Lefler (Jun '13) Jun '13 ex f-14 pilot 1
@billtowngspot: RT @NascarDaily: I wonder what ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 rick mcelroy 1
enny hamlin (Mar '13) Mar '13 rick mcelroy 2
Jimmy Johnson and Chad (Sep '11) Sep '11 Betty Boop 1
cars and drivers (Sep '10) Aug '11 pierce 4
kevin harvik (Jul '11) Jul '11 Cherokee Sunrise 2
More from around the web