in My Opinion: Nascar must drive point home

Why would two top-tier Nextel Cup teams have unapproved aerodynamic enhancements on their cars during Sunday's Daytona 500 qualifying, knowing it probably wouldn't make a significant difference at a track where ... Read more
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Joe G

Owensboro, KY

#1 Feb 13, 2007
It would be nice if NASCAR would not only make an example of these teams, but set an example for others. All they have to do is put their foot down and declare that cheaters won't win.

Watching the race from home while your car sits in the hauler would be a good lesson, and hit the team much harder than a monetary punishment would.
CDJ

Louisville, KY

#2 Feb 13, 2007
How can you possibly make examples of these teams this year when the team last year went on to win the 5oo, The Nextel Cup and Driver of the Year? I have nothing against Jimmie Johnson I know he deserved those titles. Nascar needs to be consistent with everyone not just a few. They should have started the year with that rule in place not after the fact. One other thing that doesn't sit right either, if they found both cars in violation before qualifying WHY did they even tell them to fix it? Why weren't they stopped then?
SEL

Madison, WI

#3 Feb 13, 2007
I don't feel that sending the crew chief home for the race had any ill effects, or drove any point home.
The crew chief is still around during the week and still running the show if he is not. With all the communciation technology out there, they may as well just stay at the track.
Send the driver home for the race, and fine the team points (owner and driver)and a monetary penalty it shouldnt matter to what degree the infraction was, it should be same penalty for anyone.
If the driver and owner do not know what is going on with their cars, and what is being done with them, maybe they will get more involved and find out
bob

Linden, NC

#4 Feb 13, 2007
yes but we will see what they will do to michael first
David Meeks

Enfield, CT

#5 Feb 13, 2007
I bet Mr.Poole wouldn't be so big on integrity if either of the cars had an "8" on the door.
jack meoff

Linden, NC

#6 Feb 13, 2007
NOW TAKE 50 POINTS AWAY FROM JIMMIE JOHNSON AND GIVE THE TITLE TO MATT, IF THEY ARE PLAYING BY THE SAME RULES.BUT NASCAR HAS NEVER PLAYED BY RULES JUST WHO GIVES THEM THE MOST MONEY.NO POINTS WAS TAKING FROM JIMMIE SONSON LAST YEAR.NASCAR HAS THERE DRIVERS THEY WANT TO WIN.
Snakelady

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Feb 13, 2007
Joe G wrote:
It would be nice if NASCAR would not only make an example of these teams, but set an example for others. All they have to do is put their foot down and declare that cheaters won't win.
Watching the race from home while your car sits in the hauler would be a good lesson, and hit the team much harder than a monetary punishment would.
Yeah great idea. Then all the Johnson fans can have the stands to themselves.

“I AM AN AVID MATT KENSETH FAN”

Since: Feb 07

Iron Mountain, MI

#8 Feb 13, 2007
While I agree that cheating should not be tolerated , why is that Nascar chooses Matt Kenseth and Kasey Kahne to be the whipping boys?

What was so different for Jimmie Johnson and Knaus over last year when they got penalized? They were not docked driver or owner points for the incident at Daytona last year in 2006?

What we may forget is that this is 2007 season, not 2006! Nascar now wants to possibly enforce drivers not even being allowed to race !

We are talking about different team drivers, crew chiefs, and owners which are not Jimmie Johnson /Knaus and Hendrick Motor Sports are we?

I don't think Nascar has ever played fair and will not ever change!

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#11 Feb 13, 2007
Snakelady wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah great idea. Then all the Johnson fans can have the stands to themselves.
Damn your really obssessed with this Johnson thing aren't you? I mean I'm a Johnson fan and Ithink what happened last year sucked but you can't move on can you? This thing is consuming you. Get a life. I can't stand Matt Kenseth but I'm not going to beat the guy into the ground over this. For christs sake.
Mike

United States

#12 Feb 13, 2007
David Meeks, that #8 driver lost 25 points 2 yrs ago for saying the word "shit." PLEASE get a life.
Snakelady

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Feb 13, 2007
You would be pissed if people said Send Johnson home! Just the idea of that is crazy. How can we punish the drivers when they don't set up the car. If this coninues pretty soon the drivers are gonna have to go over the car with a fine tooth comb b4 they drive it then they're not even going to be concentrated on the race. Do you really believe this is a good solution??
Speechless

Wake Forest, NC

#15 Feb 13, 2007
Snakelady wrote:
You would be pissed if people said Send Johnson home! Just the idea of that is crazy. How can we punish the drivers when they don't set up the car. If this coninues pretty soon the drivers are gonna have to go over the car with a fine tooth comb b4 they drive it then they're not even going to be concentrated on the race. Do you really believe this is a good solution??
If NASCAR really wants to stop cheating then they will quit playing around with the teams and simply start sending the teams home for that week when they find a rules infraction. It won't happen but once. The moment the sponsors realize that is going to be the punishment, you can believe the teams will get the word, no race-no money.
Speechless

Wake Forest, NC

#16 Feb 13, 2007
Want NASCAR to know what you think? fanfeedback@nascar.com You even get a nice reply.
Racing Rudy

Kenosha, WI

#17 Feb 13, 2007
Its not a penalty against two teams, its a penalty against any car manufacture other than Chevy. No points against Johnson! Harvick skated with his penalty for not filling up his gas tank for qualifing. Stewart runs Kenseth off the track last year. Then this year he bumps Kyle Bush in turn one and two in the shootout. Then Junior wrecks 8 cars at the finish line.

I would guess there is no rule on what Kenseth did to the wheel wells on his car and Nascar didn't think of it and had to penalize them.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#18 Feb 13, 2007
Snakelady wrote:
I'm not going to argue with you anymore about this because I hate fighting with people Idon't even know. Yes I was very upset about the whole thing last year but Why keep going on about it. They got the same punishment as the 48 team except for the points. I don't thhink thedrivers should be punished. But at least their all in good company.Its an elite club. Peace.
Snakelady

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Feb 13, 2007
Speechless wrote:
Want NASCAR to know what you think? fanfeedback@nascar.com You even get a nice reply.
Good idea. I can't seem to get through with this, and I can't seem to find it at nascar.com . What am I doing wrong here?
Speechless

Wake Forest, NC

#20 Feb 13, 2007
Snakelady wrote:
<quoted text>Good idea. I can't seem to get through with this, and I can't seem to find it at nascar.com . What am I doing wrong here?
fanfeedback@nascar.com This is how I got through. Google "how to contact nascar". Should be the first thing to come up.
65Colbra

United States

#21 Feb 13, 2007
As a very long time nascar fan I'm tired of this stuff, where did innovation go? Why does'nt Nascar build all the cars and motors and all the other parts and sell them to each team, allowing only there cars and parts to participate in the races.
Everybody looks the same, they might as well be the same.
mindy

Scotts Valley, CA

#22 Feb 13, 2007
Speechless wrote:
<quoted text>fanfeedback@nascar.com This is how I got through. Google "how to contact nascar". Should be the first thing to come up.
Hi Speechless,on lap top tonight,cleaning up computer,but i wanted to let you know how much Watch the Flames must appreciate your friendship.Please always tell him every day how much we all miss him!!! you can always contact me at mindyb233@comcast.net please let me know how he is doing!!! big hugs to you!
Snakelady

Cincinnati, OH

#23 Feb 13, 2007
Speechless wrote:
<quoted text>fanfeedback@nascar.com This is how I got through. Google "how to contact nascar". Should be the first thing to come up.
Thx

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jimmie Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is NASCAR entering fight era? Intensity plus ag... Feb '15 MrTinkerTrain24 1
News Will Dale Earnhardt Jr. Finally Contend for a N... (Jan '14) Aug '14 Jr IQ 88 232
News Why did Dale Earnhardt, Jr. switch to Hendrick ... (Mar '10) Aug '14 Uncle John Duckett 83
News LeBron James wins AP Male Athlete of the Year (Dec '13) Jul '14 dfsg 8
News Obama honors NASCAR's Johnson for 6th Sprint Cup (Jun '14) Jun '14 goob 1
News Chad Knaus: At Peace with Himself, NASCAR and a... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Norman Storer 1
News The number 17 DeWalt race car driven by Wiscons... (May '14) May '14 Lola24 2
More from around the web