Johnson making most of lessons learne...

Johnson making most of lessons learned from Gordon

There are 16 comments on the MSNBC Sports story from Nov 13, 2009, titled Johnson making most of lessons learned from Gordon. In it, MSNBC Sports reports that:

Three-time defending champion Jimmie Johnson suffered a big hit in his points lead heading into the second-to-last Chase race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC Sports.

kat

Athens, GA

#1 Nov 13, 2009
yeah u got that right!! if not 4 jeff he wouldnt be here
pete

AOL

#2 Nov 13, 2009
yes but jeff didn,t teach jimmy everything !he,s holding out on jimmy.by the way mark is going to win this year !! 1
The Fat and the Furious

United States

#3 Nov 13, 2009
Yea, Jeff didn't teach Jimmie everything. Jimmie is just that good. I guess Jeff is holding back until Jimmie wins 5/6/7 championships in a row eh? Good strategy. What better way to teach a guy a lesson than to watch him win year after year. Mark is going to win this year, now that's funny! I can always count on these boards for a good laugh.
Kyle D

AOL

#4 Nov 14, 2009
hasha

Since: Nov 09

Tifton, GA

#5 Nov 14, 2009
The Fat and the Furious wrote:
Yea, Jeff didn't teach Jimmie everything. Jimmie is just that good. I guess Jeff is holding back until Jimmie wins 5/6/7 championships in a row eh? Good strategy. What better way to teach a guy a lesson than to watch him win year after year. Mark is going to win this year, now that's funny! I can always count on these boards for a good laugh.
sometimes I wonder if you have multiple personalities. you sometimes make great comments and other times, you seem clueless.

Teaching and training on specific details is nothing compared to the encouragement to pursue such knowledge. For instance, I can tell somebody 5 minutes worth of the best stuff I know on any particular topic, or I can spend the 5 minutes giving them the best reasons for wanting to know. 5 minutes worth of motivation to learn more beats 5 minutes of facts any day.

From what we know (Jeff did very well, Jeff tutored Johnson, Johnson did extremely well) we have very good reason to speculate that a 4-Time Champion gave a great rookie the desire to know THE RIGHT THINGS. Hell I'd he might even have given him the motivation to 'learn'. As I said, however, it would be speculation.

My point is, a driver who 'knows' has less potential than one who wants to learn. I think Johnson's focus is there because his strength lies in his desire to learn. In my opinion, he looks far more concerned with paying attention and absorbing information than any other driver. That's probably why he has such a bland personality, because he's more concerned with what comes in, and not with what comes out.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#6 Nov 14, 2009
YouTube Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
sometimes I wonder if you have multiple personalities. you sometimes make great comments and other times, you seem clueless.
Teaching and training on specific details is nothing compared to the encouragement to pursue such knowledge. For instance, I can tell somebody 5 minutes worth of the best stuff I know on any particular topic, or I can spend the 5 minutes giving them the best reasons for wanting to know. 5 minutes worth of motivation to learn more beats 5 minutes of facts any day.
From what we know (Jeff did very well, Jeff tutored Johnson, Johnson did extremely well) we have very good reason to speculate that a 4-Time Champion gave a great rookie the desire to know THE RIGHT THINGS. Hell I'd he might even have given him the motivation to 'learn'. As I said, however, it would be speculation.
My point is, a driver who 'knows' has less potential than one who wants to learn. I think Johnson's focus is there because his strength lies in his desire to learn. In my opinion, he looks far more concerned with paying attention and absorbing information than any other driver. That's probably why he has such a bland personality, because he's more concerned with what comes in, and not with what comes out.
I read an article recently about Chad and Jimmie. Chad said that Jimmie is like a sponge. He wants to know everything that is going on in the garage with his cars. If theres a problem he wants to know so he won't have any surprises. He wants to know what their going to do to fix the problem. He shares ideas with Chad and the team and he's well respected. He is very knowledgable and this is what makes him so good at what he does.
Staff

Manteca, CA

#7 Nov 14, 2009
That's my boy if you catch my drift???
Sponsored by :
www.lowesceo.com

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#8 Nov 14, 2009
Staff wrote:
That's my boy if you catch my drift???
Sponsored by :
www.lowesceo.com
It really busts your chops for the 48 LOWES team to do well, does it? I'm so happy for your Freak. You must have been the sh*tcan of the year employee last year that got fired.
Geez

AOL

#9 Nov 14, 2009
ok
The Fat and the Furious

United States

#10 Nov 15, 2009
YouTube Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I'm not sure what your trying to get at with the, "multiple personalities" thing. I was simply poking a little fun at the 2 previous posters. I assumed that that was obvious. I didn't really make any statement about Jimmie or why he's having the kind of success that he's having, because I most certainly agree that Jeff has been a big influence on Jimmie. Jimmie is certainly smart enough to use that knowledge and build on it, which is exactly what I believe that he's done.

I agree with everything that you stated in your post. Jimmie is as good as he is partly due to Jeff's influence and teaching, but also partly because of his extreme desire to soak in everything he can, no matter the source. Has he surpassed Jeff in skill and talent? Hell no! Has he equaled him? There's no real way to equal anyone with Jeff's talent. Jimmie will always be able to learn from being around guys like Jeff and Mark, but he also he teach some of what he is to those 2. Jimmie has put himself on a level with those guys, but you never quit learning from your experiences and those people around you with knowledge that you can apply to your career.

I'm a Jimmie fan through and through, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize that others have skill and desire too. Jimmie is sitting on the top of the heap right now partly because of his ability to learn, but also because of his immense talent and desire.

I think Jimmie was very fortunate that he picked Jeff Gordon to approach for advice when his Busch sponsorship had been pulled. Although Jeff gets a lot of credit for discovering Jimmie (rightfully so, especially for putting up the money and his reputation to get Jimmie into Cup) we tend to forget that the relationship started because Jimmie approached Jeff. I guess my point is: Jeff certainly shares a part of Jimmie's career, both financially and as a mentor, but Jimmie has the success he has because of his skills and mental makeup. He certainly owes Jeff an eternal debt of gratitude, but what he is accomplishing is because of himself and his team. Jeff didn't make Jimmie what he is, but he certainly contributed, and still does, to getting him in the position that he's in.

Kailua Kona, HI

#11 Nov 15, 2009
<quoted text>Sorry, I'm not sure what your trying to get at with the, "multiple personalities" thing. I was simply poking a little fun at the 2 previous posters. I assumed that that was obvious. I didn't really make any statement about Jimmie or why he's having the kind of success that he's having, because I most certainly agree that Jeff has been a big influence on Jimmie. Jimmie is certainly smart enough to use that knowledge and build on it, which is exactly what I believe that he's done.
I agree with everything that you stated in your post. Jimmie is as good as he is partly due to Jeff's influence and teaching, but also partly because of his extreme desire to soak in everything he can, no matter the source. Has he surpassed Jeff in skill and talent? Hell no! Has he equaled him? There's no real way to equal anyone with Jeff's talent. Jimmie will always be able to learn from being around guys like Jeff and Mark, but he also he teach some of what he is to those 2. Jimmie has put himself on a level with those guys, but you never quit learning from your experiences and those people around you with knowledge that you can apply to your career.
I'm a Jimmie fan through and through, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize that others have skill and desire too. Jimmie is sitting on the top of the heap right now partly because of his ability to learn, but also because of his immense talent and desire.
I think Jimmie was very fortunate that he picked Jeff Gordon to approach for advice when his Busch sponsorship had been pulled. Although Jeff gets a lot of credit for discovering Jimmie (rightfully so, especially for putting up the money and his reputation to get Jimmie into Cup) we tend to forget that the relationship started because Jimmie approached Jeff. I guess my point is: Jeff certainly shares a part of Jimmie's career, both financially and as a mentor, but Jimmie has the success he has because of his skills and mental makeup. He certainly owes Jeff an eternal debt of gratitude, but what he is accomplishing is because of himself and his team. Jeff didn't make Jimmie what he is, but he certainly contributed, and still does, to getting him in the position that he's in.
I completely agree with both of your opinions. Jimmy might have learned alot from Jeff, But He learned more by going out there and doing it and seeing what works the best for him. I believe he is te guy that wants to learn and be the best. After every race they interview these racers and 90% will sit there and suck thier sponsors dicks the whle time! Jimmie, even when interviewed after a loss, focuses on what he and his team did that race and what they could improve on and sustain. Hes more worried about the races than he is the fame. I think thats alot of the problem with other racers. Now that i point it out if you havent noticed, you will now!

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#12 Nov 15, 2009
Looks like a 4peat is in the bag. Yeah Jimmie and the 48 team.

Tifton, GA

#13 Nov 15, 2009
<quoted text>Sorry, I'm not sure what your trying to get at with the, "multiple personalities" thing.
Well yeah, I knew something was weird but I barely get time to read a lot of whats posted so I cant even attempt to keep track of the many personalities here. Yeah, jokester - you had me goin with those comments LOL
pete

AOL

#14 Nov 21, 2009
IF JIMMY WINS 4 IN A ROW NASCAR CAN KISS THE CROWDS GOODBY A LOT OF US ARN,T EVEN WATCHING YHE RACE TOMORROW !!!!WERE WATCHING GOLF AND FOOTBALL !!!IT S ALL RIGGED BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!!!!!!!!!!
The Fat and the Furious

Brea, CA

#15 Nov 22, 2009
pete wrote:
IF JIMMY WINS 4 IN A ROW NASCAR CAN KISS THE CROWDS GOODBY A LOT OF US ARN,T EVEN WATCHING YHE RACE TOMORROW !!!!WERE WATCHING GOLF AND FOOTBALL !!!IT S ALL RIGGED BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!!!!!!!!!!
Good! Than we'll not have to suffer the displeasure of reading comments from those of you with the jealousy bug anymore. Adios and enjoy that exciting world of golf.

“How We Roll”

Since: Nov 08

Area 51, Nevada

#16 Nov 23, 2009
pete wrote:
Pete, the kind of crowd that would accept you should have left long ago, and those who don't leave with you will celebrate the moment you're gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Gordon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Needing information please Jul '16 Nikki14 1
Nascar Races on DVD (Jan '16) Jan '16 Terry 1
News Jeff Gordon is fueled by his desire to walk awa... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fart news 12
News NASCAR tracks to fans: Leave Confederate flags ... (Jul '15) Aug '15 Fart news 16
News Harvick's only shove this time at Texas comes o... (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 6
News Unrelated celebrity twins (Jan '15) Jan '15 lola48 1
News Top 20 moments of 2014, #4: NASCAR's new Chase ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 WelbyMD 1
More from around the web